SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, Around the Horn said:

LOL Transit Center beat me to it...

That's what you get for putting it out on Facebook before you get home :lol: (except I found it at Wall Street not Bowling Green)

Anyway here's the pics that I took:

21768224_373403506426456_242181601742317

22050073_373403503093123_734699093711471

22050378_373403513093122_496670073491842

Judging by the mirror looks like it reads QR coding as well. I do see an RF (Tap to Pay) symbol as well looks like a hybrid solution. 

http://www.justride.com/

The company behind the tech maybe they aren't able to license the oyster card technology after all 

Edited by RailRunRob

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This looks like its just for a smortphone app judging by their website...

It's a companion QR reader for the eTix app, which will allow MNR & LIRR riders who have combo tickets to pay their subway fare as an alternative to swiping.

I do wonder how the transition will go for EasyPay customers. It really won't be much of one given I already manage my card online.

I originally joined when I lived in Westechester because I got sick of having to buy MetroCards over and over. I googled "an easy to pay metrocard" and the rest is 'golden' history. ^_^

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This looks like its just for a smortphone app judging by their website...

20 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's a companion QR reader for the eTix app, which will allow MNR & LIRR riders who have combo tickets to pay their subway fare as an alternative to swiping.

I do wonder how the transition will go for EasyPay customers. It really won't be much of one given I already manage my card online.

I originally joined when I lived in Westechester because I got sick of having to buy MetroCards over and over. I googled "an easy to pay metrocard" and the rest is 'golden' history. ^_^

Yep.. the eTix app creates a QR code that's then read by the turnstile or conductors reader.  Don't understand why they just don't go right to NFC fully kinda a waste with QR. Here's the other major company in the transit fare game.

https://www.cubic.com/Transportation

Note they also created the Metrocard tech as well.

21 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Maybe QR could be for single rides? It may be less expensive than single use RFID

I also saw that LIRR/MNR users would be able to use QR codes in a pilot. 

Should be on par in fact NFC maybe cheaper in the long run. QR very much like UPC needs visual confirmation (Mirror)  extra step and point of failure. On the Database side, NFC can hold more points of information.  Single rides could just deduct from any tap to pay system, Visa, Mastercard, Andorid , Apple pay. London and Chicago have been doing this for some time it's proven tech. Seem's extra for nothing.

Edited by RailRunRob

15 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But How will these machines know if your disabled?

When you say disabled are you referring to reduced fare?

Two ways off the top. From a digital standpoint with a smartphone, you could easily create digital card via Apple, Samsung or Android pay. The persons account ID would just let the system know he or she qualifies for reduced fare all in the signup process. Same with the e-Tix system currently in use the QR would have embed information for scans to know it's reduced and the backend would just deduct and reload the riders account based on their reduced rate Easy-peasy.  Remember the MTA is also going to have the option to issue physical cards as well with RF tech embedded. The MTA would prob mail special cards to riders very similar to MetroCards today. Whether reloading online or at a machine, the system would make the proper adjustments. All already in practice in other Cities, not brain surgery here. :D

Edited by RailRunRob

22 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Maybe QR could be for single rides? It may be less expensive than single use RFID

I also saw that LIRR/MNR users would be able to use QR codes in a pilot. 

It's possible they could rehash the QR code for the same ticket, because sticking to one could be a security risk as it could be replicated.

20 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's possible they could rehash the QR code for the same ticket, because sticking to one could be a security risk as it could be replicated.

That's a non-starter for unlimited and monthly setups. Single rides are simple it's inventory based system for the most part. QR generates a unique ID number tied to that scan once it's redeemed it can't be used again the system would have voided it at that point. I've created these types of QR options for festival's in the past very similar.  Full RF would bypass this altogether. 

Edited by RailRunRob

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but I'll ask it anyway...

Does anyone know if some sort of NTT programs exist for the Staten Island Railway?

Id say no there's no physical connection between SIR and the mainline. The LIRR and MNR share more of a connection I believe they had programs carry over from older Rolling stock (R44,46). Don't quote me tho. 

Sorry, I misread what you meant - I expect such programs will be created only when the R211S is delivered, and probably only for R211 trains.

(I am very suspicious of the idea that any LIRR or MNRR programs would be available on NTTs, since they cannot legally carry passengers on railway track.)

21 minutes ago, quadcorder said:

Sorry, I misread what you meant - I expect such programs will be created only when the R211S is delivered, and probably only for R211 trains.

(I am very suspicious of the idea that any LIRR or MNRR programs would be available on NTTs, since they cannot legally carry passengers on railway track.)

Not run trains via LIRR right of way. Older cars had LIRR programs in even of service disruptions in fact if memory serves correctly there was a P train signup for just an event a non stop route via the (E) from Penn Station to Jamaica. I'm partly basing my comment on that historical reasoning. Way more likely than a SIR program.  

Edited by RailRunRob

4 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Not run trains via LIRR right of way. Older cars had LIRR programs in even of service disruptions in fact if memory serves correctly there was a P train signup for just an event a non stop route via the (E) from Penn Station to Jamaica. I'm partly basing my comment on that historical reasoning. Way more likely than a SIR program.  

To add on, what purpose would there be to have route options for the Staten Island Railway when the cars can never run there under their own power? Also, to clarify a point you made, the 44s and 46s have (present-tense) codes for generic LIRR and Metro-North signage, which would be used in theory if there was a need to substitute rail service for subway service.

I'd like to see that manual @RailRunRob

1 hour ago, Lance said:

To add on, what purpose would there be to have route options for the Staten Island Railway when the cars can never run there under their own power? Also, to clarify a point you made, the 44s and 46s have (present-tense) codes for generic LIRR and Metro-North signage, which would be used in theory if there was a need to substitute rail service for subway service.

LOL it was just a extremely random thought I had while I was on an R44. Figured I'd ask it even if the answer was kinda obvious...