SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When does the conductor find out where the train is going? While the train is laid up? When the train arrives at 161st Street? Some other time?

On the D, there's 5 specials. Usually its 1,3 and 5 going to 2 ave/Houston while 2 and 4 go to 9th ave Bk. They find out according to the order when they board their trains. But even enroute its a toss up. They are extra trains and can be sent anywhere, any route, with any stop pattern. So even the crews are never quite sure. Some of them may even return north in service if its needed.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Took a trip down to SoHo to do some shopping at Crate & Barrel for some handmade ceramic pieces I wanted. God that (Q) train was packed at 57th and 7th. Transferred at Union Square for the (R). Got an old one, but I noticed they had this interesting flooring on them. I wonder if that flooring will be used for the new trains...

When the 8th Avenue line was originally proposed as a BMT route, the line was to run from Washington Heights (around 193rd Street) to the Penn Station area near 30th Street. The line was intended to be four-tracks from 173rd Street to 64th Street. Two tracks would've continued down Central Park West and 8th Avenue to 30th Street while the other two were to branch off and connect to the then-new Broadway subway.

In a later plan, the stub tracks at 57 Street were to be used for a new line directly under Central Park and along Morningside Ave, running to 145th Street. As the IND didn't want to siphon riders from their own 8th Avenue line, this idea was quickly abandoned.

The irony being now both lines would likely be seeing heavy ridership (albeit after what would have been a long dry period in the 1970's and '80s).  

so is the (6) losing all their NTT's?!

No, not even close.  The (4) sometimes will borrow a few sets from the (6), and the (6) from the (1).  As someone mentioned, 7646-7650 was on the (4) for awhile.  Even if the MTA wanted to make the (6) 100% R62As, they couldn't because there aren't enough R62As to go around.  As it is, a handful of R62A sets are loaners from 240 Street.

On the D, there's 5 specials. Usually its 1,3 and 5 going to 2 ave/Houston while 2 and 4 go to 9th ave Bk. They find out according to the order when they board their trains. But even enroute its a toss up. They are extra trains and can be sent anywhere, any route, with any stop pattern. So even the crews are never quite sure. Some of them may even return north in service if its needed.

When in relation to the game's end does the first special leave? And what are the headways between the five specials?

Also, out of curiosity, does the (4) run specials as well?

When in relation to the game's end does the first special leave? And what are the headways between the five specials?

Also, out of curiosity, does the (4) run specials as well?

They do. There was one signed up as a 4 Shuttle to Barclays Center according to DJ Hammers.

On weekends there's actually Six specials in total.

Usually about 15-20 minutes after it ends. But they tend to schedule bit on the fly. There's a TSS posted at 161 to help dispatch.

Headways are usually in between regular s/b D trains.

On weekends there's actually Six specials in total.

Since when? When i worked them in 2014, there was 5 on weekends as well. I would know cause all 5 of us sat in the crew room until the trains started pulling out of Concourse. And they were usually all classmates from school car (Extra-Extras). 5 of us total.

Train 1-2nd Ave

Train 2-9th ave Bk

Train 3-2nd ave

Train 4-9th ave or Barclay's

Train 5-2nd ave

Of course those destinations can change enroute.

I wonder when all this "track work" on the (N)(W) trains in Astoria will be completed. Seems like the (W) train in Astoria has become more of just a rush hour route in Queens, with no slight increase to the (N) to mitigate the drop in tph from 12 to 6 during the middays. This was even present when the (Q) ran on the Astoria line from June 2010 to November 2016, where the slightest bit of work cut the route back to 57 St-7 Av. Prior to 2010 when there was track work in Astoria both the (N) and (W) trains ran their regular headways to Astoria with no problem. Looks like the MTA just cares about the second avenue subway and would rather see everyone from there have a seat with some seats left over on their (Q) and midday (W) trains and have the (N) train passengers packed like sardines similar to rush hour loads at all times during the day. Just wait until 2019 when the (L) train shuts down and the whiny hipsters move to Astoria and overload the (N)(W) lines similar to what they did to the (L) since 2006

I wonder when all this "track work" on the (N)(W) trains in Astoria will be completed. Seems like the (W) train in Astoria has become more of just a rush hour route in Queens, with no slight increase to the (N) to mitigate the drop in tph from 12 to 6 during the middays. This was even present when the (Q) ran on the Astoria line from June 2010 to November 2016, where the slightest bit of work cut the route back to 57 St-7 Av. Prior to 2010 when there was track work in Astoria both the (N) and (W) trains ran their regular headways to Astoria with no problem. Looks like the MTA just cares about the second avenue subway and would rather see everyone from there have a seat with some seats left over on their (Q) and midday (W) trains and have the (N) train passengers packed like sardines similar to rush hour loads at all times during the day. Just wait until 2019 when the (L) train shuts down and the whiny hipsters move to Astoria and overload the (N)(W) lines similar to what they did to the (L) since 2006

It's pretty obvious that it was work on the terminal interlocking at Ditmars, the same reason why there were shuttle buses every weekend...

And, this week the (N) and (W) are both running during the midday, so quit it with the conspiracy theories.