SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

26150972810_32ee1e19d1_k.jpgLexington Avenue – 63rd Street platform level underpinned IRT 4 by bulk1988, on Flickr

No real need for a surface level pedestrian tunnel. The express IRT tracks go through the top of the 63/Lex cavern. They were underpinned during construction of the 63rd street line. 1 or 2 flights of stairs going up and a 3 block long walk along side the tracks and you will walk out on the express platform of 59/Lex.

Indeed I always hear the expresses rumbling by while waiting at 63rd/Lex that might be possible. A-few hundred feet of walkway. Almost like a platform extension. Heck if they could carve a lower level at 59 street they could create a walkway. When didn’t the lower level at 59th open?1959/60? On another note that southbound run from 86th to 42nd before 59th must have been legendary! Flivver Lo-Vs all motor configuration need I say more!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by RailRunRob

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not posting this in a separate thread since it's more of the usual chronic delays. I'm just wondering if anyone was caught in it? My express bus was insanely crowded this morning, and several of us regulars were wondering what was going on. When I checked the (MTA) website it was lit up with delays.  I suppose some people really are following the subway delays now and immediately making adjustments.

-------

Debris On Tracks, Switch Problems Prompt Service Changes, Delays On Several Subway Lines September 14, 2017 12:44 PM
Filed Under: subway delays
Editor’s note: If you have seen debris on the subway tracks at a station near you, we want to know about it. Please share your photos and videos of debris on the tracks on our Facebook page. Don’t forget to tell us where the pictures and videos were taken.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Subway riders from Manhattan to Queens faced another nightmare commute Thursday morning.

First, debris on the tracks at 50th Street in Midtown brought the morning commute to a halt, leaving many riders stranded on the platform and stuck underground along the Seventh Avenue service corridor.

Riders of the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 lines dealt with service changes and suspensions for several hours before all train service resumed with extensive delays just after 10 a.m.

Photos and video on social media showed massive crowding at subway stations along the affected lines.

The delays came a week after Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the purchase of new equipment and increased littering fines to combat trash and debris in the city’s subway system.

“I think they should have MTA personnel kind of monitoring the platform and if they see trash there they should go and clear it off rather than leaving it there accumulating for a while,” said Washington Heights resident David Kaufman. “If they see you littering they should fine you on the spot, watching and not enforcing anything is I think causing this problem.”

There was more trouble in Queens where switch problems at Queensboro Plaza affected service on the N, Q, R and W lines.

“Today’s subway problems should remind Governor Cuomo that even though school may have started, the summer of hell isn’t over for subway commuters. Once again, equipment failures led to delays, frustration and confusion for New Yorkers trying to get to work,” said John Rasking, Executive Director of the Riders Alliance. “Governor Cuomo produced a short-term plan to address delays, but he now needs to step up with a long-term plan to modernize the transit system and a reliable funding source to make it possible.  If the Governor doesn’t follow through on his promises to modernize the transit system, the Summer of Hell could easily become a Decade of Despair for millions of New Yorkers.”

For the latest service updates visit the MTA website.

DJrwbLfUQAAztua.jpg

Source: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/14/debris-on-subway-tracks-delays/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Pics?

Some of these stations are not connected. That sign is misleading.

Park Place = World Trade Center = Chambers (Church) St.

Fulton Street <=> Cortlandt St <=> South Ferry / Whitehall St.

Not only is this station a difficult transfer spot, it's even more difficult because people (especially tourists) think they are connected.

I feel the  (Z) should become a new-peak express between Marcy Av and Broadway Jct, and after Crescent, a new third track would be constructed, and the  (Z) would continue express, only stopping at Woodhaven Blvd, which would be converted into an express stop. 

This could work well in conjunction with the Q72 which stops right underneath.

(I bolded the part of your comment that best fits with my reply).

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

Not only is this station a difficult transfer spot, it's even more difficult because people (especially tourists) think they are connected.

I was asking for a picture of the new sign in order to see the changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The Q72 doesn't stop at the Woodhaven Blvd J train stop. The Q11, 21, 52, 53 and 56 stop there. The 72 only goes to Rego Park.

I'm not posting this in a separate thread since it's more of the usual chronic delays. I'm just wondering if anyone was caught in it? My express bus was insanely crowded this morning, and several of us regulars were wondering what was going on. When I checked the (MTA) website it was lit up with delays.  I suppose some people really are following the subway delays now and immediately making adjustments.

There was a third one which was not covered.

My commute was almost 2 hours this morning. I wasn't caught up in any of those, but on 6th Avenue, at the same time as the 7th Avenue incident, there was a train with mechanical problems at 34 Street. With the B, D, F, and M all competing for the express track (the train with mechanical problems was on the local track), there was sure to be extensive delays on 6th Avenue. It was a VERY slow ride from Roosevelt Avenue to 47-50 Streets. Took about 45 minutes to get between those points because we kept getting held up (this was one of those times I prayed an (F) was sent via Crosstown, but never happened). On the MTA website though, it said "Good Service" throughout the whole fiasco.

Broadway, 6th, and 7th Avenue all snarled, what a Thursday morning it was. I wonder how it's gonna be this winter.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

There was a third one which was not covered.

My commute was almost 2 hours this morning. I wasn't caught up in any of those, but on 6th Avenue, at the same time as the 7th Avenue incident, there was a train with mechanical problems at 34 Street. With the B, D, F, and M all competing for the express track (the train with mechanical problems was on the local track), there was sure to be extensive delays on 6th Avenue. It was a VERY slow ride from Roosevelt Avenue to 47-50 Streets. Took about 45 minutes to get between those points because we kept getting held up (this was one of those times I prayed an (F) was sent via Crosstown, but never happened). On the MTA website though, it said "Good Service" throughout the whole fiasco.

Broadway, 6th, and 7th Avenue all snarled, what a Thursday morning it was. I wonder how it's gonna be this winter.

Wow, and next week, the UN is in session, so it will be pure hell above ground and below.  I think I'm going to set some singles for Metro-North and keep my express bus pass and play it by ear.  I've been lucky to get the local bus when I need to be around the Upper West Side. The M79SBS so far has been fantastic. Very fast, especially compared to the M86.  They also seem to be enforcing some of the bus lanes, at least for now.

96 St-2 Av rollsigns are now in on the R68/As

I hope this is true, so that hopefully we can get some cars swapped.

For example: swapping some of those R68As/R68s from the (N)(W) to the (Q) where they should be. The (N)(W) in Astoria has gotten even worse since they've assigned those R68s to the route. The trains can't swap routes at Astoria-Ditmars because of the rollsign changes that need to be done so a lot of those trains are either mislabeled or in extreme cases, we get trains out of schedule: for example, 2 N trains in a row followed by 2 W trains. And this is not limited to rush hours.

Edited by darkstar8983

What ever happened to the flip-up on the R160s? I remember when they were first in-service, it comes with it (up to 8772). 

IIRC, the company that made them went bankrupt during the manufacturing of the R160s.  Interestingly, 8793 and 9038 (the latter is really bizarre) also have those seats.

When do the R179s go into service?

Hopefully sometime before the RBB is reactivated.  The jury is still out.

As for the Cuomo scheme on the R160s, I like the interior, but the whole thing of new color schemes, while refreshing, is getting old.  God forbid the Emperor should address actual issues.  Also, did they change the lighting inside the train?  Those cases look different.