SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Ridership demands and that it's efficient, I use the (Z) Skip Stop service to go to school every morning and maraculously end up on time to school everyday and the fact that it's a skip stop makes it efficient and effective, the only down fall for the (J)(Z) in General is frequency and that pisses me off

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Skip stop only works well when ridership is low. If the Jamaica line stations get a significant boost in ridership, the (Z) will likely go the way of the (9) service.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My impression has always been that the purpose of the skip stop service is to reduce the time for Jamaica to FiDi travel by enough that some ridership will shift from the (packed) QBL express.

According to (MTA) Trip Planner, in the morning rush hour, the (E) from Sutphin Boulevard to World Trade Center is two minutes faster than the (J) from Sutphin Boulevard to Fulton Street. (48 minutes vs. 50 minutes)

The (J) is impressive making all those stops and still making it there. The power of a geometrically-superior route is demonstrated. The (E) can speed all the way to the Financial District, but the (J) takes a diagonal shortcut.

Makes me think; if the (MTA) wanted to invest some actual money into taking people off the (E) , they could build an express track between Crescent Street and Sutphin Boulevard, and run a peak direction express.

However, at the current ridership levels, this would be more trouble than it's worth. In addition, it would only really affect those whose destination is Lower Manhattan, which is a very small subset of all the stops the (E) makes in Manhattan.

Ridership demands and that it's efficient, I use the (Z) Skip Stop service to go to school every morning and maraculously end up on time to school everyday and the fact that it's a skip stop makes it efficient and effective, the only down fall for the (J)(Z) in General is frequency and that pisses me off

I should've clarified - yes, I get that there is a reason for it to exist, considering that the (Z) hasn't been cut yet - but in what way? I can't possibly fathom a scenario in which it makes sense to have half of the trains on the Jamaica line not serve specific stations. Obviously I don't live in New York, so I'm looking for some insights from those that do.

I should've clarified - yes, I get that there is a reason for it to exist, considering that the (Z) hasn't been cut yet - but in what way? I can't possibly fathom a scenario in which it makes sense to have half of the trains on the Jamaica line not serve specific stations. Obviously I don't live in New York, so I'm looking for some insights from those that do.

Like me???? Cause I use the Jamaica line to go to school every day

According to (MTA) Trip Planner, in the morning rush hour, the (E) from Sutphin Boulevard to World Trade Center is two minutes faster than the (J) from Sutphin Boulevard to Fulton Street. (48 minutes vs. 50 minutes)

Huh Sutphin is my transfer point

The number of people who use the (J) and (Z) to get to the financial district from Jamaica is VASTLY outnumbered by the riders who get on at intermediate stations. Given that the needs of the many should be served over those of the few, I think it's time skip stop was ended. Riders will save vastly more in halved wait times than skipped stations.

Since TheJoeKorner has not updated the Car Assignments, I have proposed what the car assignments would look like at this point.

A - 20 R32 cars and 288 R46 Cars - 38 trains

B - 168 R68A cars and 32 R68 cars - 25 trains

C - 88 R160A-1 cars and 56 R32 cars - 18 trains

D - 232 R68 cars - 29 trains

E - 240 R160A-2 cars and 20 R160B Alstom cars - 26 trains

F - 72 R46 cars, 250 R160A-2 cars, and 100 R160B Alstom cars - 44 trains

G - 52 R68 cars - 13 trains

H (Rockaway Shuttle) - 12 R46 cars - 3 trains

J/Z - 96 R32 cars, 16 R42 cars, and 48 R160A-1 cars - 20 trains

L - 176 R143 cars and 16 R160A-1 cars - 24 trains

M - 160 R160A-1 cars - 20 trains

Myrtle Shuttle M - 12 R42 cars - 2 trains

N/W - 32 R68 cars, 60 R160B Alstom Cars, 240 R160B Siemens cars - 34 trains total

Q - 50 R160A-2 cars and 170 R160B Alstom Cars - 22 trains total

R - 240 R46 cars - 30 trains

Franklin Av Shuttle - 4 R68 cars - 2 trains

​The increase in the Q train will be for the addition of the round trip to 96 St (PM Rush) and from 96 St (AM Rush)

The increase in the N/W train assignment will be for any addition to the N to 96 St (Q via Sea Beach) trains, and the replacement of that N train trip diverted from Astoria with an additional W train.

The M train reroute to Broadway Junction and reduction of rush hour service in Brooklyn reduced the requirement by 3 train sets.

I've done it before. It's really not that bad unless the weather is poor, however I would definitely agree with it becoming a in system transfer.

It’s bad when the whether is great (read: sunny and warm). I would not want to climb all those levels to get to the surface and go 4 blocks for a transfer. Install a wide moving walkway and make the station actually useful as a transfer point.

It’s bad when the whether is great (read: sunny and warm). I would not want to climb all those levels to get to the surface and go 4 blocks for a transfer. Install a wide moving walkway and make the station actually useful as a transfer point.

It could be built under the western sidewalk of Lexington Avenue, if there is space and utilities are not in the way.

It could be built under the western sidewalk of Lexington Avenue, if there is space and utilities are not in the way.

It is New York. Of course there are utilities in the way.

One option considered was removing the layup on the Lex local north of 59th to be used as the passageway.

In reference to Joekorner, since the B Division lines was mentioned, the lines up north in New York City Transit (IRT lines) stay the same except:

- the (1) train using 2 out of 3 R62 trains in-service and 355 R62A cars= 35 trains at 240 St

- the (3) train has a total of 285 cars = 28 trains

- the (4) train 160 R142A subway cars = 16 R142As

- the (6) is added 1 extra train during the PM rush. 395 R62A subway cars = 39 trains and 60 R142As = 6 trains

- the (7) has 51-53 R62A subway cars

- the 42 St Shuttle has 1 extra single car 

Edited by CH3348

I've done it before. It's really not that bad unless the weather is poor, however I would definitely agree with it becoming a in system transfer.

The transfer takes so long that if you're on Queens Blvd it makes more sense to switch to the (E), even if you're transferring to an uptown Lex train.

26150972810_32ee1e19d1_k.jpgLexington Avenue – 63rd Street platform level underpinned IRT 4 by bulk1988, on Flickr

No real need for a surface level pedestrian tunnel. The express IRT tracks go through the top of the 63/Lex cavern. They were underpinned during construction of the 63rd street line. 1 or 2 flights of stairs going up and a 3 block long walk along side the tracks and you will walk out on the express platform of 59/Lex.