SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I keep reading that East Side access is becoming more expensive so why don't we just stop doing the project temporarily until we finish higher priority projects like SAS? Lexington is getting worse by the minute, LIRR can handle itself until we finish SAS.

ESA is well past the point of no return. Even if they were to stop the entire project tomorrow, it would still cost them money in upkeep and maintenance, all without any revenue stream to justify its existence since no trains would run through the tunnels. Also, at whatever point the project is restarted, the costs for it will undoubtedly balloon well past its current cost overruns. In my opinion, they need to wrap up this project as soon as they can and move on.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they even bother to fix the broken doorchimes on the R46s anymore? Every time I board one its like a guessing game on what musical change has occurred:

Is it high or low?

Is it quick or does it have a fermata? 

Is it some random doorchime from somewhere else like the SIR? 

Does it even work at all?

14 hours ago, VIP said:

That car wash must be better than East New York’s... because the bombed up R160’s still have colorful roofs/window trims...and why does cleanliness on the outside of the cars matter? The Interiors are what need deep cleaning!! Especially since the walls are turning a creme/biege color when they were once white. (In reference to the R143’s) Side note; Jamaica has the dirtiest cars I ever seen, but thier interiors are usually clean. 

That's like saying it's okay for someone to go months without showering, so as long their insides are clean. It doesn't work that way. Transit is an alternative form of travel and passengers that are put off by trains that are filthy will find other ways to get from point A to B. Consequentially, that's one of the factors that can potentially hit the MTA where it hurts financially if those types of passengers grow in number.

15 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Why am I seeing more R32s on the (C) and less R32s on the (A) since the fleet swap? I counted 4 R32s on the (C) throughout Euclid Av to 14th St.

What was originally 7 is now reduced to 4 on the (A). Here’s how the swap was before though:

(A): 264 R46s and 70 R32s for service + 60 R46s for spares

(C)64 R160A-1s, 40 R46s, and 32 R32s for service + 28 R160s and 18 R32s for spares

(S): 12 R46s for service + 12 R46s for spares

That’s a total of 120 R32s and 92 R160A-1s currently from 207th Street Yard and 388 R46s currently from Pitkin Avenue Yard.

13 hours ago, VIP said:

They breakdown on the (A) 

Please. A car type this old is bound to have problems no matter what line they run on. However, since the (C) will soon be full-length, they can share the same fleets from both Pitkin and 207th. No biggie.

19 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Do they even bother to fix the broken doorchimes on the R46s anymore? Every time I board one its like a guessing game on what musical change has occurred:

Is it high or low?

Is it quick or does it have a fermata? 

Is it some random doorchime from somewhere else like the SIR? 

Does it even work at all?

I'd presume they only fix them if they're completely broken. 

I have been looking for schematics on what the tone generator actually is because i'd LOVE to know what is causing that fault. 

Still - from 1976 it's got to be a small analog synth, and therefore, any kind of short or corrosion - the synth is going to be dependent on specific resistance and voltages, so any corrosion even minor that increases resistance, or a low-grade short that changes a voltage - thats going to change the output sometimes hilariously. 

Now, the ones that are random and from somewhere else - I bet the R44 chime generators are pretty plug-and-play with the R46 so - since I assure you there are no replacement originals, they probably use what they can get their hands on. 

Which is silly because if I know the input voltage, the control signal, and the output level and impedance I can make one that plays MP3 or wav or whatever for like, $20. hm bet I could charge the MTA $200... 

I saw a very strange R68 or R68A train today. I think it was a (B) train because it was running local on CPW but all the rollsigns were messed up. There was a rollsign for the (B) , the (D) , the (Q) , and the Orange (Q) on one side, and half of them were upside down as well! I missed the car #s though.

12 minutes ago, W4ST said:

I saw a very strange R68 or R68A train today. I think it was a (B) train because it was running local on CPW but all the rollsigns were messed up. There was a rollsign for the (B) , the (D) , the (Q) , and the Orange (Q) on one side, and half of them were upside down as well! I missed the car #s though.

Sounds like a Yankees Special.

35 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

They entered service between 1974 to 1975; the last R46 entered service by 1978 because Pullman Standard had a strike and other issues.

I'm talking about the exact date (for example, the R32s entered service on September 14, 1964)

6 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Please. A car type this old is bound to have problems no matter what line they run on. However, since the (C) will soon be full-length, they can share the same fleets from both Pitkin and 207th. No biggie.

I know that! I was being coy. Thanks.