SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Question; let's say that the 1 has a G.O that cuts off access to 207th and 240th Street yards, and is only able to run up to 137th Street. The (2) lets the (1) borrow some of its R142 fleet (the (3) is also suspended in this case, as well as the (4) .) Does that mean R142's can now stop at SFL since crews that are from the (1) are operating the (2) fleets?

The odds of it happening are slim, but yes. The point is to not have foreign crews stopping at them stations. Much like when they had the (1) and (2) going to 148 St, both trains skipped 145 St.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question; let's say that the 1 has a G.O that cuts off access to 207th and 240th Street yards, and is only able to run up to 137th Street. The (2) lets the (1) borrow some of its R142 fleet (the (3) is also suspended in this case, as well as the (4) .) Does that mean R142's can now stop at SFL since crews that are from the (1) are operating the (2) fleets?

Usually when the  (1) get cut back to 137 St, it dosent borrow trains since 137 St yard is sufficient to cover the  (1). 137 St layup tracks can hold 10 trains. If its running only between 96 Street and South Ferry, there is a small chance that an R62 from Lenox may be put into  (1) service since Lenox yard is the nearest to the  (1) line and the  (3) dosent use all of its trains on weekends. 

Usually when the  (1) get cut back to 137 St, it dosent borrow trains since 137 St yard is sufficient to cover the  (1). 137 St layup tracks can hold 10 trains. If its running only between 96 Street and South Ferry, there is a small chance that an R62 from Lenox may be put into  (1) service since Lenox yard is the nearest to the  (1) line and the  (3) dosent use all of its trains on weekends. 

The (1) between 96th and South Ferry only uses 10 trains? I thought the number would be much higher...

Did something happen on the Eastern Parkway Line yesterday?  I tried to take the (4) to BG but after about 5 minutes sitting in the station, the C/R announced that the train would be going up the West Side.  The (4) behind it ran to the Lex as normal, which is what confounded me.

The (1) between 96th and South Ferry only uses 10 trains? I thought the number would be much higher...

Well, the run between 96 and SF is shorter than the entire line between 242 and SF, and that the (1) runs less frequently on weekends.

Did something happen on the Eastern Parkway Line yesterday? I tried to take the (4) to BG but after about 5 minutes sitting in the station, the C/R announced that the train would be going up the West Side. The (4) behind it ran to the Lex as normal, which is what confounded me.

Wait...a (4) via 7th Avenue...

I imagine of the following;

-Some video game & cartoon characters are railfans (characters from the Sonic universe, some of the Toads, toons, etc.)

-Sonic, Tails, Mario, Luigi, and many others have interest into the NYC subway, and taken pictures of the system in the past. They still do so on some occasions during their freetime. (I would imagine Sonic, Mario, and Luigi being Redbird fans, and Tails being an R110A & B fan.)

-Video game & cartoon characters attending the Holiday Train, along with fan trips.

To add on another note, I would also imagine the 4 (Sonic, Tails, Mario, Luigi) participating in the ERA fan trips that used to be common back then (the brothers starting in the late 1970's; Sonic and Tails with the R30 farewell trip) with all 4 of them (along with others) attending the last one in 2002.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

I imagine of the following;

-Some video game & cartoon characters are railfans (characters from the Sonic universe, some of the Toads, toons, etc.)

-Sonic, Tails, Mario, Luigi, and many others have interest into the NYC subway, and taken pictures of the system in the past. They still do so on some occasions during their freetime. (I would imagine Sonic, Mario, and Luigi being Redbird fans, and Tails being an R110A & B fan.)

-Video game & cartoon characters attending the Holiday Train, along with fan trips.

To add on another note, I would also imagine the 4 (Sonic, Tails, Mario, Luigi) participating in the ERA fan trips that used to be common back then (the brothers starting in the late 1970's; Sonic and Tails with the R30 farewell trip) with all 4 of them (along with others) attending the last one in 2002.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I think you are bored  :lol:

Why is it that the R46 only has one grab bar on the ends of the car? I'd imagine that this is quite the safety overlook considering that the rest of the fleet has grab bars on both sides of the door available to persons moving between cars. 

Also, I think that a switch to unlock the end door on the 75-footers should be placed inside the car, under the seat behind a plastic case that needs to be smashed first. Currently the only way out is to kick the window through and I'd imagine that that would be quite difficult, considering the age of the rubber gaskets.

Why is it that the R46 only has one grab bar on the ends of the car? I'd imagine that this is quite the safety overlook considering that the rest of the fleet has grab bars on both sides of the door available to persons moving between cars.

Also, I think that a switch to unlock the end door on the 75-footers should be placed inside the car, under the seat behind a plastic case that needs to be smashed first. Currently the only way out is to kick the window through and I'd imagine that that would be quite difficult, considering the age of the rubber gaskets.

The windows on the end doors of all of the 75' cars are made out of plastic/plexiglass instead of the regular glass used on the side doors. The rubber gaskets themselves aren't that old to begin with, as they get replaced regularly.

About 11 trains. To increase recovery time. The shorter the route and the travel time, the less trains are needed while the longer the route or the travel time, more trains are needed. This is if the headway is the same. 

Edited by j express

When I was was on the <7> today, I was talking to a friend when I realized that when we left QBP we were on the local track skipping stops. I thought that was weird but I didn't care cause as long as it's express, I don't care what track it's on. When I got to Woodside there was an OOS train on the express track. The C/R said the next stop was Junction, now my train got pretty packed carry 2 trains worth of passengers. Even though the C/R said the next stop was Junction we stopped at 74th which was also packed. We stood at the station for 30+ seconds without opening the doors. (Most likely the operator was on the switch box.) When the train left the station without picking up passengers you could see a sigh of relief from all the passengers on the train.

When the train left the station without picking up passengers you could see a sigh of relief from all the passengers on the train.

Good thing those darn lowly local passengers can’t hop on the train for the express folks! B-)

The PA system on the A division that states when a train will arrive is being modified to sound similar to those on the B division, Original " The next uptown local (6) train to Parkchester will arrive in 2 mins. New "There is an uptown local (6) train to Parkchester 2 mins away."

The PA system on the A division that states when a train will arrive is being modified to sound similar to those on the B division, Original " The next uptown local (6) train to Parkchester will arrive in 2 mins. New "There is an uptown local (6) train to Parkchester 2 mins away."

No No Nooooo!!! Please tell me its still the guy voice...