SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The PA system on the A division that states when a train will arrive is being modified to sound similar to those on the B division, Original " The next uptown local (6) train to Parkchester will arrive in 2 mins. New "There is an uptown local (6) train to Parkchester 2 mins away."

Interesting, if not entirely unnecessary.

No No Nooooo!!! Please tell me its still the guy voice...

I wish they'd bring him in for the B-Division/(7) next stop announcements. Either that or have Carolyn Hopkins rerecord her announcements so she doesn't sound like she rides a short bus. I'm not trying to be mean, but the excessive pauses and inflection changes don't lend themselves to good audio.

Yep, its still good ol' Charlie lol. He just added "Away".

Technically, it's Bernie Werghenblast (sp?) doing the in-station next stop announcements. Charlie announces "Stand back..." and the other PSAs you'd probably hear on the trains.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, if not entirely unnecessary.

I wish they'd bring him in for the B-Division/(7) next stop announcements. Either that or have Carolyn Hopkins rerecord her announcements so she doesn't sound like she rides a short bus. I'm not trying to be mean, but the excessive pauses and inflection changes don't lend themselves to good audio.

Technically, it's Bernie Werghenblast (sp?) doing the in-station next stop announcements. Charlie announces "Stand back..." and the other PSAs you'd probably hear on the trains.

I hope its just a test, I'm so use to the original announcement better and the new one kind of teases me if a train is approaching the station.

Good thing those darn lowly local passengers can’t hop on the train for the express folks! B-)

I mean its a good balance for the 7 the express not stopping at 74th ensures that the local is at capacity beyond 74th without placing the burden on the express. A lot of people take the (7) from 74th but the <7> is packed leaving QBP with most going to Flushing or Junction so there wouldn't be much room to accommodate 74th st passengers in the first place. The (7) usually gets rid of about 35-50% of it passanger by the time it get there. SO 74th should only really be covered by the local and not the express. 

The PA system on the A division that states when a train will arrive is being modified to sound similar to those on the B division, Original " The next uptown local (6) train to Parkchester will arrive in 2 mins. New "There is an uptown local (6) train to Parkchester 2 mins away."

The MTA loves to fix things that aren't broken instead of fixing things that are broken.

The Bay Ridge bound (R) is running express on Queens Blvd, Broadway and 4 Avenue this weekend.

I can't wait to see that FIND.

That express run will surely be plagued by slow zones, holding lights, and what other nonsense. It happens to the (Q) on the Brighton Line, and it’s a regular occurrence on the Manhattan-bound (N). It now often takes longer to get from Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue to Canal Street than in 2013.

Was there a G/O listed for the (4) during 9PM today? For some reason, there are (4) trains to Utica running local from Barclays up to Franklin Av

No. It's actually quite normal. The official schedule has southbound (4) trains making local stops in Brooklyn to Utica around 9 something. It's been this way since like the aftermath of those 2010 cuts I believe. I think local service on the southbound Brooklyn portion of the (4) starts after about 9:30 pm-ish or so.

Edited by RollOver

No. It's actually quite normal. The official schedule has southbound (4) trains making local stops in Brooklyn to Utica around 9 something. It's been this way since like the aftermath of those 2010 cuts I believe. I think local service on the southbound Brooklyn portion of the (4) starts after about 9:30 pm-ish or so.

It started back in Fall 2012.

So this video came out a few days ago, what do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/EliteDaily/videos/1174458775939086/

It seems like they're piggy backing off the recent decision to stop arresting people asking for fares. Arresting someone fare-beating doesn't makes sense fiscally, but it's still a crime and there should still be consequences, i.e. a summons, otherwise, why would someone pay at all? I also didn't like how they said they wanted to make the police irrelevant either, because there is probably some correlation between individuals who jump turnstiles and individuals who commit crimes in the system [citation needed].

The idea is there; helping those in poverty reach their places of work, but the message is not, of making the police irrelevant.

Sorry I don't follow the subways as much but I heard one R188 set has been out of service for a year or so? 7860-7870?

It's funny because when 7855-7859 came, it was attached to 7871-7876 because (7860-7865) had compressor issues.

Is that the same problem still going on? Or something else happened to that set?

Sorry I don't follow the subways as much but I heard one R188 set has been out of service for a year or so? 7860-7870?

It's funny because when 7855-7859 came, it was attached to 7871-7876 because (7860-7865) had compressor issues.

Is that the same problem still going on? Or something else happened to that set?

The set you mentioned (7860-7870) must have been selected to undergo CBTC testing. 

The others, I don't know. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Question; lets just say someone falls onto the tracks by mistake, but fall into the deep portion of the track where a train can't hurt them, and a train comes and stops (goes into emg mode) about 4 cars into the person. Does safety crew and FDNY decouple the cars to get the person out safely or what?

Does anyone know what the alarms in the R188 are for?

I was in the conductor's car of a (7) train this afternoon. It stopped at 46 Street and stood with the doors closed for several minutes while this alarm went off three times. It almost sounded like a phone ringing but clearly came from the cab.

If it means anything, this particular car (7396) does not have the orange sticker the denotes a CBTC equipped car.