SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, I was riding R142 # 6511 on the (5), I was looking at the (2) strip map. I noticed that (9) was showing at 72nd Street and 96th Street, and the diamond (5) was showing as well. The ironic part is that it had the new Atlantic Avenue - Barclays Center sticker.

One of the most interesting transit related dreams I've ever had:

The first part had nothing to do with the New York Subway, but I got on the bus that I usually take to get home from school every day. The driver made a wrong turn, but he wasn't bothered by it, and neither was I.

I decided to take the New York subway (no idea how it got to Canada, but it's only a dream...)

"I'll just take the (M) train," I thought. (The brown (M) still existed in this dream).

I rode an R160 to an elevated station overlooking a luxurious resort. It somewhat looked like Dyckman Street on the (1) train. As the station, I got off, and as the R160 pulled out I saw an R42 (J) train on the opposite track. I hated myself for not having a camera on me, but I retrieved my phone from my pocket and decided to get a photo with that. The R42 train pulled out of the station and I snapped a shot... when I looked at it, I saw an R46! (Yes... an R46 (J) train... you may begin foaming now :lol:).

I was really stunned and surprised. I crossed over to the other platform, but somehow I found myself on the platform I had gotten off at originally. The next train that came into the station was an R160 train, but there was a pair of R42s at the front! I ran down the end of the platform (where the line went underground, like at the south end of the previously mentioned Dyckman Street station) and aimed my phone at the train. This time, it came out as an R40 Slant (W) train!

So let's see... brown (M), R46 (J) train and the (W) train... all the ingredients to please a foamer! :P

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Two Timers,

what is the speed limit on the Manhattan Bridge. I noticed that the Broadway side seem going faster then 6 Ave side. I was walking along the Broadway side and it zoom thru the bridge while i was hearing the 6 Ave crawling. What up with these speed?

I remember when TwoTimer already explained this:

Manhattan bridge (span itself)

s/b Bway - varies, there's a couple that clears wrapped (and since its 160's they're around 30 at that point), there's a slow one midspan that only lets u through at 18-20, the rest clear as posted.

s/b 6Av - they all clear at 22-23.

n/b Bway - varies, there's a slow one on the downgrade that clears only at 18, the rest clear as posted.

n/b 6Av - clear as posted or a mile or two below.

That was from the official speed thread.

Anybody remember the National Geographic "Ultimate Factories" episode on the R160s? Well, if anyone who hasn't watched it wants to hear a test run of the Alstom propulsion, go to 39:30. It's pretty cool IMO to hear that familiar sound in a different setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zARKdiKKI

Edited by TheSubwayStation

OFFICIAL SUBWAY CAR BUILDER POWER RANKINGS

1) Budd

2) American Car & Foundry

3) Kawasaki

4) St. Louis Car

5) Whoever joint operation resulted in the R62

6) Whoever made the IRT Composite cars

7-?) All pre-unification contract winners/builders

900000000000000000000000000000000000000000001) Bombardier

A few hours ago, there was some kind of incident at President on the (2) that I rode. Two guys were fighting and it ended up with one of them stabbed. The T/O had everyone exit one end of the train and go into the other since the car next to the T/O's cab had blood over the seats.

I had to wait for the next (2) since that train was going express stopping at Church Av, then Flatbush Avenue.

Now, I have second thoughts on riding the (2) home at night.....

When you "like" every post which involves Bombardier being worshipped, I think the answer's obvious.

The only two posts defending Bombardier are the ones below, and they can hardly qualify as worshipping. :rolleyes:

^No.

And why?

I just don't find there to be anything wrong with the company. Why is that such a huge issue?

The (2) AND (5) now show the trips heading to New Lots and Utica Avenue.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t2cur.pdf

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t5cur.pdf

Changes:

The last (5) TO Flatbush leaves Dyre Avenue at 7:02 now.

Evening (5) service runs to Utica Avenue to Brooklyn Only, to the Bronx evening service orginates at Flatbush Avenue

Some Early rush hour service operates to/from Utica Avenue

All trains to the bronx during rush hour except for the last two trips from Utica Avenue terminate at E.180 Street

The 4 still doesnt show those trips to New Lots Rush Hours

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal