SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I figured out the (J)(Z) skip-stop. I looked at the Subway map more closely. The (J) skips different stops than the (Z) and vise-versa.

Why can't they do this in other parts of the subway? They should do skip-stop on the Brighton line ((B)(Q)) as well. Avenue M is a popular stop but if you wait for the (B) at Newkirk Plaza, once you wait for the (B) train to come, the (Q) train is already passed Prospect Park resulting in it not worth waiting for the (B) at Newkirk Plaza and staying on the (Q).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

I figured out the (J)(Z) skip-stop. I looked at the Subway map more closely. The (J) skips different stops than the (Z) and vise-versa.

Why can't they do this in other parts of the subway? They should do skip-stop on the Brighton line ((B)(Q)) as well. Avenue M is a popular stop but if you wait for the (B) at Newkirk Plaza, once you wait for the (B) train to come, the (Q) train is already passed Prospect Park resulting in it not worth waiting for the (B) at Newkirk Plaza and staying on the (Q).

The problem is that skip-stop decreases ridership and makes the system more inefficient as headways are higher and tracks are shared. Currently skip-stop exists on the (J)(Z) mainly to attract ridership from the (E) if I'm correct, and they eliminated the (1)(9) skip stop pattern to improve service in 2005.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The problem is that skip-stop decreases ridership and makes the system more inefficient as headways are higher and tracks are shared. Currently skip-stop exists on the (J)(Z) mainly to attract ridership from the (E) if I'm correct, and they eliminated the (1)(9) skip stop pattern to improve service in 2005.

The (J)(Z) doesn't go anywhere near the (E).

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

While some of the local stops are somewhat "popular", if you look at ridership data, the express stations on the line get many more riders per station, which makes for balanced loads between northbound (B) and (Q) trains. 

13 hours ago, VIP said:

Holy F*** I honestly don’t care about anyone’s mental stability but please...block this dude already. It’s like a 4 year child asking for Santa on the 4th of July! Bruhhhh.

Honestly, you're getting much too triggered. If you don't like his questions, just don't answer them. Nobody is forcing you to respond.

12 minutes ago, P3F said:

Honestly, you're getting much too triggered. If you don't like his questions, just don't answer them. Nobody is forcing you to respond.

I’m not answering his questions if you’ve read correctly. I’m commenting freely as this is an open thread; “Random Thoughts” thread. Carry on. 

10 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Quick Question. Skip Stop on the (J)(Z) runs for like one hour per rush period, does it really help?

Basically, and I personally think “skip-stop” is pointless, all it is, is running trains every 5 minutes with a different letter. I Think the (Z) should have been eliminated in 2010 and have (J) rush Hour service run every 4-5 minute headways...

49 minutes ago, VIP said:

I’m not answering his questions if you’ve read correctly. I’m commenting freely as this is an open thread; “Random Thoughts” thread. Carry on. 

Sure, but you don't need to be toxic and rude when doing it.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Has the MTA revisited regenerative breaking to save on power costs?

I don’t think power is a significant part of the MTA’s operating costs …at least not the amount that could be generated by breaking.

Edited by CenSin

17 hours ago, VIP said:

Basically, and I personally think “skip-stop” is pointless, all it is, is running trains every 5 minutes with a different letter. I Think the (Z) should have been eliminated in 2010 and have (J) rush Hour service run every 4-5 minute headways...

Coming from someone who lives along both lines, I disagree. It’s actually fast and more useful than you think. 

Agreed. Skip-stop is often a last resort option if a line doesn’t have express tracks I.e. (J) (Z) , or if express tracks are out of service (this happened with the yellow (D) and <Q> in 1988 ). It also happens when the express tracks runs too long of a stretch on its own ( the (1) (9) , which people ended up hating.) If I do recall there was a plan in the 90s to do skip stop along the (L) with a grey (K) train. R110B signs were printed with the grey (K) and I believe some R42s got them too. The TPH the (L) has now makes it difficult to make a skip stop, let alone dig an extra express track under the stations.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cT5ICZwn2QtnNd95ccTdrVzDYT7B7E0h&amp;usp=sharing

This is a Map I'm currently working on. I put current ADA stations. Stations announced to get ADA accessibility and stations I think should get ADA accessibility. It's not complete and I'm still working on it. Anyways, what do you all think?

16 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cT5ICZwn2QtnNd95ccTdrVzDYT7B7E0h&amp;usp=sharing

This is a Map I'm currently working on. I put current ADA stations. Stations announced to get ADA accessibility and stations I think should get ADA accessibility. It's not complete and I'm still working on it. Anyways, what do you all think?

There are also a few other stops that should be consolidated:

Alabama and Van Siclen on the (J)(Z)  should be consolidated with a new stop at Pennsylvania Av spanning from Pennsylvania Av to Vermont St. Exits at every street.

Van Siclen/Cleveland St is replaced with a new stop at Jerome/Warwick Streets. Structure spans from Jerome to Ashford. Exits at every street.

Norwood is left as-is.

Crescent... I really want to get rid of that curve... what the hell was the BMT thinking when they built it?

Anyways, if political opposition is overcome, the structure would run diagonally from Crescent/Fulton to 75th/Jamaica. Crescent will be replaced with a stop at Ridgewood Av. Cypress is closed outright. The old 75th station will be closed for a new one at Eldert Lane on the new structure.

As part of this plan, I think that the stations should be rebuilt with the typical local-3 tracked layout (if possible) as I would look to build a center express track. Woodhaven and Ridgewood (or Norwood) would be built as express stops.