SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is wondering, the Rock Park shuttle is running to Rockaway Blvd on weekends until July 1st, the shuttle was 100% R46 btw. 

It's funny as people still got off at Broad Channel N/B even though the C/R made an announcement that the train was going to Rockaway Blvd. 

Also N/B the shuttles should be timed to connect with (A) trains coming from Lefferts Blvd, not run right in front of an (A) coming from Far Rock, when my shuttle went into the relay, the (A) from Far Rock came in right behind it.

S/B the shuttle ran right behind an Far Rock bound (A), they should come right after an Lefferts (A) leaves since the Lefferts dumbs a bunch of beach goers at Rockaway Blvd during the summer time.

14 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder how the (3) train can open 5-cars, but the (1) train cannot at 145 St. 

IIRC they don't trust (1) crews to open the doors right at 145th, so they have them skip as they don't want any mishaps occurring. They did the same with the (2) passing SF loop when it ran down there for G/Os.

Does anyone know why the Franklin Ave (S) can never work on subway time.Many times it Dosent even display Scheduled times.Its not the most crucial line but if I’m getting off the train at Franklin ave/Botanic Garden it would be useful to know if a train came in or didn’t yet.

13 minutes ago, Abba said:

Does anyone know why the Franklin Ave (S) can never work on subway time.Many times it Dosent even display Scheduled times.Its not the most crucial line but if I’m getting off the train at Franklin ave/Botanic Garden it would be useful to know if a train came in or didn’t yet.

I pass through Prospect Park frequently and the clocks there seem to show the next departing (S) pretty much every time.

5 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Google it. Treat Google as your new pet.

I did and it's not really telling me anything. I'm looking at the subway map now and it looks like the (J) is skip-stop east of Myrtle Av with the (Z) making all local stops east of Myrtle Av and the (J) and (Z) are both skip-stop west of Myrtle Av. Is this true?

Edited by EphraimB

During rush hours (J)(Z) both skip each other's stops between Myrtle Av-Bway until Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center Stations They both stop at Marcy Av, Myrtle  Av-Bway, Broadway Junction, Alabama Av, Crescent Av and Woodhaven Blvd. Plus AM/PM peak directional express on center between Marcy and Myrtle Av-Bway.

23 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

IIRC they don't trust (1) crews to open the doors right at 145th, so they have them skip as they don't want any mishaps occurring. They did the same with the (2) passing SF loop when it ran down there for G/Os.

It's too bad the cars can't be programmed so only certain doors can be opened at certain stations like 145.  That would save a lot of headaches and allow the (1) and (2) to stop there when needed.  

2 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

During rush hours (J)(Z) both skip each other's stops between Myrtle Av-Bway until Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center Stations They both stop at Marcy Av, Myrtle  Av-Bway, Broadway Junction, Alabama Av, Crescent Av and Woodhaven Blvd. Plus AM/PM peak directional express on center between Marcy and Myrtle Av-Bway.

What do you mean by "both skip each other's stops"?

Is the whole difference between the (J) and (Z) during rush hours east of myrtle Av when the (Z) is local and the (J) is skip-stop? West of Myrtle Av, (J)(Z) are skip-stop with the (M) local. Why is it called skip-stop and not express?

Stations in between Myrtle Av-Bway until Sutphin Blvd for example skip stops service Rush hours only on Local Track (J) Stops at Kosziszcko St, (Z) Stops at Gates Av, (J) Stops at Halsey St, (Z) Stops at Chauncey St, both Stops at Broadway Junction, both Stops at Alabama Av, (Z) stops at Van Siclen Av, (J) Stops at Cleveland St, (Z) at Norwood Av, both stop at Crescent St, (J) Stops at Cypress Hills, (Z) 75 St, (J) 85 St, both stop at Woodhaven Blvd, (Z) 104 St, (J) 111 St, (Z) 121 St, both stop at Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center all other times (J) makes all local stops.

2 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Stations in between Myrtle Av-Bway until Sutphin Blvd for example skip stops service Rush hours only on Local Track (J) Stops at Kosziszcko St, (Z) Stops at Gates Av, (J) Stops at Halsey St, (Z) Stops at Chauncey St, both Stops at Broadway Junction, both Stops at Alabama Av, (Z) stops at Van Siclen Av, (J) Stops at Cleveland St, (Z) at Norwood Av, both stop at Crescent St, (J) Stops at Cypress Hills, (Z) 75 St, (J) 85 St, both stop at Woodhaven Blvd, (Z) 104 St, (J) 111 St, (Z) 121 St, both stop at Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center all other times (J) makes all local stops.

You have patience. You’re a strong person. I for one would have ignored such ridiculous questions...

17 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Then what's the difference between the (J) and the (Z)? And why does the (Z) stop at 121 St and not the (J)?

That's how it's supposed to be but because of reconstruction at 104 Street, the (J) and (Z) skip stops after Woodhaven. And yes, I'm just as confused as you are (despite the fact that I ride the (J) every school day)

37 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

That's how it's supposed to be but because of reconstruction at 104 Street, the (J) and (Z) skip stops after Woodhaven. And yes, I'm just as confused as you are (despite the fact that I ride the (J) every school day)

You mean 121 St, as 104 St reopened some time ago.