SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

If anyone is on the IND Eighth Avenue Line heading out to either 125 or 145 Streets and you get on the (C) first, ALWAYS stay on it and transfer at 59 Street-Columbus Circle if an (A) or a (D) express pulls into the station at the same time or 2 minutes after. If you're on the (C) first, never change if the (A) pulls into West 4 Street, 14 Street or 42 Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal. As Snowblock pointed out, there can be a (D) that will cross right in front of it. You never know. The 14-59 Express isn't even about saving time anyway.

i never take the (A) train just because of that reason

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is on the IND Eighth Avenue Line heading out to either 125 or 145 Streets and you get on the (C) first, ALWAYS stay on it and transfer at 59 Street-Columbus Circle if an (A) or a (D) express pulls into the station at the same time or 2 minutes after. If you're on the (C) first, never change if the (A) pulls into West 4 Street, 14 Street or 42 Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal. As Snowblock pointed out, there can be a (D) that will cross right in front of it. You never know. The 14-59 Express isn't even about saving time anyway.

And yet when I'm on an uptown C at West 4 and an A arrives on the express track, people leave my C and jump on that A as if they were getting free food.

I second that. This strategy also works if you need the (D) to go to the Bronx.

Oh, and if you need the street (not Penn Station) at 34 Street and you're on the (A), try to switch to the local at the previous stop if it's there (provided you know you can make the connection)

8th Avenue's very quirky LOL.

With the Brooklyn BMT Fastrack coming in May, I wonder if (R) trains are going to terminate at 9th Avenue or they will be suspended early...(of course I mean the trains coming from Manhattan)

That should happen, the 9 Av termination because the 4th av line need a local train

I know I forgot to mention this...

On December 20, 2012 while railfanning on the southbound (C) route from 168th Street to Euclid Avenue (rush hour of course), there were delays. An (A) to Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard passed me at about 81-72 Streets. Then another (A) bound for Howard Beach-JFK Airport arrives at 42nd Street. We then made another connection to it at West 4th. Then it got backed up near Canal Street due to the (A) to Lefferts infront of it as I look through the window of the R32 (C) I was on and we leave Canal first. The (A) that we made a connection with at 42nd and West 4th arrived at Euclid about after 5 minutes after my (C) beat it to Euclid!

On December 20, 2012 while railfanning on the southbound (C) route from 168th Street to Euclid Avenue (rush hour of course), there were delays. An (A) to Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard passed me at about 81-72 Streets. Then another (A) bound for Howard Beach-JFK Airport arrives at 42nd Street. We then made another connection to it at West 4th. Then it got backed up near Canal Street due to the (A) to Lefferts infront of it as I look through the window of the R32 (C) I was on and we leave Canal first. The (A) that we made a connection with at 42nd and West 4th arrived at Euclid about after 5 minutes after my (C) beat it to Euclid!

This was due to signal trouble at Franklin Avenue on A3. That day, the legendary clear on the post timer (that every railfan HATES when a T/O brakes there)... DIDN'T CLEAR ON THE POST. For the few railfans that wonder why I dont push it there and take it at 39-41 so the train can blast into Nostrand at 45 (rather merely coast up to it and take it at 33-35 depending on the train), there's your answer. Today, they were working on the area again being that there was no regular service there all day. It is possible they may adjust that timer again and/or install the 2nd one they were supposed to. That is all.

that happens every time.

how about extending (4) to New lots avenue at all times

the (3) becomes a shuttle operating between 148th street and 135th street

that will be a big waist of time because you have to go on 3 trains

OPTO can't be done on R32's for one (technology didn't progress that far yet back then). R46 is the minimum class equipment running that can do it, which is why they brought two sets over there. Unlike the shuttle (where its two T/O for sake of saving time), all other OPTO operations are indeed with just a T/O on a train so equipped to operate doors from the front. There's a shuttle switch for use on R68/R143/R160, R46 is the more traditional just full service the train after a stop and use the door consule behind your head. From management's perspective, bring OPTO back to the Rockaways frees up more conductors - and T/O's for that matter - for operations elsewhere in the system.

Edited by TwoTimer

I would love for the MTA to make Chambers St or Canal St (J)(Z) a full time terminal for the (Z) train, Renovate both stations, and fully open and renovate the Bowery station

You can't have the (J) and (Z) terminating in different places, it would screw up the skip-stop balance...