SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Hmm...with the third rail, i was taking a close look at it today. Is that black piece over it a cover? and the silver railing below it the actual third rail? Because when i saw the train leaving the station it was scrapping a squarish piece along that silver (located in between the wheels), and it had blue sparks coming from it.

Yes that black wooden (or white plastic, depending if they replaced it) piece over the third rail is the third rail cover....pretty much protects people from stepping on top of the rail itself.

That "squarish piece" is the third rail shoe. That's how the train collects the power...dont wanna touch that at all.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subways are the best and the safest ways to cross the busy streets and roads, It may help to reduce the number of accidents occuring due to negligence of drivers or may be due to lack of proper concentration of the pedestrian while crossing the busy streets

That reminds me, back when I went to school at 109th, whenever I was waiting for the light at 110th to change, I would walk down the stairs, and then walk up on the other side of the street. It took the same amount of time, but I did it sometimes anyways.

(Not when a (1) just got out tough. That was not fun.)

I was on the (L) this morning, and both tracks are full (it's 8th Ave), and the next train isn't set to leave for another two minutes, and then an announcement comes on saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, the next L train is now arriving on the, 8th Avenue bound track"

SEEMS LEGIT

Oh, and I forgot, on the next (L) to leave, the seventh car was literally empty from 8th to 6th.

Edited by CDTA

I saw an R32 on the (C) that still had the sign that's on the (H) trains. (The one that says "Special (H) Shuttle Beach 90th St to Far Rockaway", like the one on the (1) train. I asked the C/R if I could take it, but I think he thought I meant the Service Restoration poster, so he said no.

Oh and I also saw someone doing a pole dance on the train. Gotta love drunk people.

Edited by CDTA

Subway time is up now.

On another note, I was on the (2) from 174 to Pelham Pkwy today after doing gift returns at the new little mall there and for some reason the countdown clocks were displaying that (2) trains were terminating at Nereid Av, while my train had 241 St displayed as the destination (with (5) line strip maps though)

Weird...

I was on the (L) this morning, and both tracks are full (it's 8th Ave), and the next train isn't set to leave for another two minutes, and then an announcement comes on saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, the next L train is now arriving on the, 8th Avenue bound track"

SEEMS LEGIT

Oh, and I forgot, on the next (L) to leave, the seventh car was literally empty from 8th to 6th.

Yeah… I think its a glitch. I see it a lot.

Overheated third rail, damaged signal wires, mechanical problems with the trains' motors. A myriad of things can cause a smoke condition. The key is catching it before it turns into a full-blown track fire.

Today was the best I ever had. While I was railfanning on the <7> to Main Street, I saw another (7) that was right by our side around the Main Street Tunnel portal. As the local crossed over infront of us. I saw a window view at the Times Square-bound end. As I left the ending <7>, I went up to the first car of the (7) and got a RFW to Times Square! Then while I was riding the (3) home, the R62s had new seat installments (pardon me for my ignorance of course).

Could railfanning be illegal now?

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/TransitAdjudicationBureau/rules.htm

Look at the last one. Either what they mean by "unauthorized photography, filming" is taking pics with a tripod or flash or something else that violates TA rules, or photography and filming in general are now illegal.

Could railfanning be illegal now?

http://www.mta.info/...ureau/rules.htm

Look at the last one. Either what they mean by "unauthorized photography, filming" is taking pics with a tripod or flash or something else that violates TA rules, or photography and filming in general are now illegal.

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

No, that's the same text they've always had. Who said anything about railfanning becoming illegal???

On another note, I really wish the NYPD would enforce THIS one more:

Interference with Movement: $100 Fine

Riders are not allowed to obstruct movement of trains by means of preventing subway doors from closing, activating the emergency brake cord in a non-emergency or other interference that will create delays or accidents.

I can count on one hand the number of arrests I've seen a police officer give for a door holder on one of my trains.

According to SubwayTime, the last (3) train is due into New Lots in a minute-40 minutes after the public GO said service would end. And according to that GO, busing is supposed to begin 30 minutes before THAT. So do they really run buses and trains together for an hour or more? (granted, Manhattan-bound service ended earlier, but not an hour ago!)

And do all GO's take that long to close the line?

Edited by Amtrak7

Today was the best I ever had. While I was railfanning on the <7> to Main Street, I saw another (7) that was right by our side around the Main Street Tunnel portal. As the local crossed over infront of us. I saw a window view at the Times Square-bound end. As I left the ending <7>, I went up to the first car of the (7) and got a RFW to Times Square! Then while I was riding the (3) home, the R62s had new seat installments (pardon me for my ignorance of course).

If one of those cars was #1587-90, that's been there for many years. Those are the only 4 cars with the bench seats.

The "(5) shuttle" is actually running as a (2) from 241-180. I actually noticed that there is a Dyre-Flatbush program for the (2) but there is a glitch when it runs on the Dyre Avenue Line. Instead of announcing the next stop, it made the doors closing chime. "This is a Manhattan bound (2) train, the next stop is *doors closing chime* Stand clear of the closing doors please. It only happened at the (5) stops then it went back to normal once it arrived at E 180 St.