SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just mentioning that it might be in the shop, how is that foamer attitude? :rolleyes:

If you are to believe the members of this forum, simply being able to tell apart one train from another is being a foamer. <_<

The site which was linked seems pretty reliable and it doesn't seem to be the type to spread around misinformation.

Although I have to question why they would link the 42 St shuttle singles into 3-car sets... there goes all the flexibility they had.

That's foamer attitude.

What is with this site and calling everybody a 'foamer?' He stipulated that a set of cars known to be on a certain line was in the shops, one of two places that subway cars go between the yard and the shop -- seems pretty reasonable to me.

--

OT, sue me: was waiting for my PATH to show up today, finally the train shows up and then I hear the unmistakable noise of an air dump and the train grinds to a halt halfway down the platform. Definitely stopped on as much of a dime as a train will do, first time I've personally watched a train go into emergency. C/R told me that they got tripped by a red, which I can't imagine is gonna be too fun for the T/O to deal with once he reports in.

I was just mentioning that it might be in the shop, how is that foamer attitude? :rolleyes:

don't mind him, he says stuff he thinks is relevant to him or restates what has already been said before.

If you are to believe the members of this forum, simply being able to tell apart one train from another is being a foamer. <_<

The site which was linked seems pretty reliable and it doesn't seem to be the type to spread around misinformation.

Although I have to question why they would link the 42 St shuttle singles into 3-car sets... there goes all the flexibility they had.

exactly, I don't buy that part about the cars for the shuttle being linked as 3 car trains. It's one thing if all the trains were 3 cars, but track 3 has a 4 car train, so it will still need another car. Edited by Grand Concourse

A question about the IRT White Plains Road Line:

Why is the (5) express between East 180th Street and 3rd Avenue-149th Street at rush hour depending on the direction? Is it to shorten commuting time for those from the Dyre Avenue Line traveling to Manhattan's East Side or to lower capacity and even out ridership at East 180th Street, 3rd Avenue-149th Street, and 149th Street-Grand Concourse?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

there is the sb side north of the prospect park stop on the Franklin s, it's not used often, but has been used a few times. Someone also mentioned city hall bmt just south of the station.

I think that S curve between City Hall and Courtlandt is the winner. That's proof on why the end doors on 75 foot cars are locked.

I apologize if I'm being annoying with all these questions, this'll be the last one, I promise :P

So I grabbed some popcorn (or... chips. close enough) and went into the R188 thread because I was bored and I stumbled upon this post by 4P3607 describing the procedure for converting the cabs on the R62/As to full-width, and I'm having difficulty visualizing it:

Those new 5-car sets will probably get full cabs the second they get to the mainline, its a very easy process to turn them into full cabs. If you noticed, there are hinges on the wall with the window adjacent to the half cab. This is how they made full cabs back then, they removed the seats adjacent to the half cab, pulled the wall out into the full cab position, bolted it in place, and pulled the cab door into full cab position. Its not like you have to add any parts or anything, the hardest part is probably removing the seats.

The part which confuses me: "pulled the wall out into the full cab position, bolted it in place," I'm looking at a picture of the cab area of a single R62 (http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?115858) and I have no clue where this wall is located. Is it supposed to be the one to the left of the storm door?

A question about the IRT White Plains Road Line:

Why is the (5) express between East 180th Street and 3rd Avenue-149th Street at rush hour depending on the direction? Is it to shorten commuting time for those from the Dyre Avenue Line traveling to Manhattan's East Side or to lower capacity and even out ridership at East 180th Street, 3rd Avenue-149th Street, and 149th Street-Grand Concourse?

Its to maximize capacity at 3Av-149th on south.

I apologize if I'm being annoying with all these questions, this'll be the last one, I promise :P

So I grabbed some popcorn (or... chips. close enough) and went into the R188 thread because I was bored and I stumbled upon this post by 4P3607 describing the procedure for converting the cabs on the R62/As to full-width, and I'm having difficulty visualizing it:

The part which confuses me: "pulled the wall out into the full cab position, bolted it in place," I'm looking at a picture of the cab area of a single R62 (http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?115858) and I have no clue where this wall is located. Is it supposed to be the one to the left of the storm door?

See the section where the window is? That is the section of wall where you can swivel out into full cab position. If you notice the wall has hinges on that section.

And FOAM over that brand new R62 with a RFW!

See the section where the window is? That is the section of wall where you can swivel out into full cab position. If you notice the wall has hinges on that section.

Sorry, but I'm still not quite sure I understand. If the wall where the window is can be moved into full cab position, wouldn't the outline of the window be visible when the full cab is activated (otherwise the window would be blocked off when the wall is folded up)? Or do you mean the wall in the foreground of the picture, right by the left side doors?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Hmm...with the third rail, i was taking a close look at it today. Is that black piece over it a cover? and the silver railing below it the actual third rail? Because when i saw the train leaving the station it was scrapping a squarish piece along that silver (located in between the wheels), and it had blue sparks coming from it.

I love how as soon as the R188 discussion thread closes I have some news to give... 7811 is at E 180 st yard (at least thats what I saw), I couldn't see what other cars were linked (prob 7812-7815) and that is all that I saw.

There is still a singles set on the (7), the 6 cars are half bway singles and half flushing singles.

I love how as soon as the R188 discussion thread closes I have some news to give... 7811 is at E 180 st yard (at least thats what I saw), I couldn't see what other cars were linked (prob 7812-7815) and that is all that I saw.

There is still a singles set on the (7), the 6 cars are half bway singles and half flushing singles.

when more of them come or when they start running in service and when the R62as are running on the mainline, then it can be reopened. We don't need people to start another 50 pages of the same speculating nonsense.