BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Who thinks that the acloa hubcaps should make a come back on MTA buses? I think this new cuomo scheme was a missed opportunity to do so although they did teased it on a couple of demo buses.

Not coming back. They heated up quickly in stop and go traffic (someone else can prob say better than I can though)

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Not coming back. They heated up quickly in stop and go traffic (someone else can prob say better than I can though)

Do they crack once that occur? Surely the manufacture has improved on these wheels as that was in the mid 1990s and MTA Long Island bus (now NICE) has stuck with it since then and they too see alot of stop and go in Nassau (admittingly less so then the city, but regardless).

5 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Do they crack once that occur? Surely the manufacture has improved on these wheels as that was in the mid 1990s and MTA Long Island bus (now NICE) has stuck with it since then and they too see alot of stop and go in Nassau (admittingly less so then the city, but regardless).

NICE bus doesn't see the same traffic volumes as seen say around the Lincoln Tunnel or Holland Tunnel during the rush hr lol

I know during the recent nova delivery that Castleton was scratched off the list to getting those buses. Before that, it was around 20. Was it to accommodate more passengers to the Amazon Center on the S40/90 Limited? 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I know during the recent nova delivery that Castleton was scratched off the list to getting those buses. Before that, it was around 20. Was it to accommodate more passengers to the Amazon Center on the S40/90 Limited? 

It might’ve been to replace the buses lost in hurricane ida but since they got the older novas from queens (and I think the Bronx) the (MTA) probably called it a day and decided to just keep the older novas from the other boroughs at Castleton. 

Also since Castleton is more prone to flood damage I don’t think the (MTA) wants to give any new buses to Castleton for a while since they don’t want to loose new buses due to a natural disaster.

I’m not 100% sure, I could be wrong but this is my guess.

Edited by Lil 57

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

It might’ve been to replace the buses lost in hurricane ida but since they got the older novas from queens (and I think the Bronx) the (MTA) probably called it a day and decided to just keep the older novas from the other boroughs at Castleton. 

Also since Castleton is more prone to flood damage I don’t think the (MTA) wants to give any new buses to Castleton for a while since they don’t want to loose new buses due to a natural disaster.

Speaking of that, is the MTA planning to do anything with Castleton Depot in terms of flood protection? IIRC this is not the first time they got hit with flood damage (see Super Storm Sandy from late 2012). If they aren't, they need to consider possibly replacing it with a another Depot somewhere else on the Island within the next few years. I'd argue the same with other depots elsewhere like Far Rockaway which was damaged during Hurricane Sandy , possibly Ulmer Park, Flatbush, and others in the long run.

17 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The original assignment was made in December 2020 iirc, before Ida factored into the picture. I think the initial plan was to shift some of their older LFSs to the mainland (the Bronx and/or Queens in particular) to help shift/retire NGs 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:55 AM, Joel Powers said:

Here's something that's been bugging me, why don't MBSTOA buses actually say "MBSTOA" Instead of "MTA NYC Bus"?

In 1983, the civil services of the NYCTA and MABSTOA (Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) merged with each other to solely use New York City Transit Authority as a whole. That’s why you saw that signified when the GM 3000 series RTS (3001-3325) came in with just NYCTA instead of 2 different civil services. Prior to it, buses were ordered by civil service operations. 11 years later (in 1994) (MTA) used this logo you see (MTA) for New York City Transit to simply that it now controls all authority it has in the Southeast New York Area. Even though that Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority and New York City Transit Authority names are still use for law purposes only as well as: Metro North Commuter Railroad (now MTA Metro North Railroad), Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority (now MTA Bridges & Tunnels), and Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority (now MTA Staten Island Railway or SIR). Formerly, the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MTA Long Island Bus) was part until 12/31/2011. Only Long Island Rail Road never changed its name, but added  (MTA) in front of it. The new entity is MTA Bus Company in 2004 (just simply MTA Bus on the former private bus lines including: 185-236, 491-658, 1300-1556, 3000-3783, 4020-4039, 4140-4169, 4483-4512, 4631-4655, 5364-5438, 6234-6286, 7438-7482, new 8964-9098. Some ex TA buses now read MTA Bus as well). The rest of the fleet reads (MTA) New York City Bus as well as bus model that some of us collect

Edited by FLX9304

20 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

In 1983, the civil services of the NYCTA and MABSTOA (Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) merged with each other to solely use New York City Transit Authority as a whole. That’s why you saw that signified when the GM 3000 series RTS (3001-3325) came in with just NYCTA instead of 2 different civil services. Prior to it, buses were ordered by civil service operations. 11 years later (in 1994) (MTA) used this logo you see (MTA) for New York City Transit to simply that it now controls all authority it has in the Southeast New York Area. Even though that Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority and New York City Transit Authority names are still use for law purposes only as well as: Metro North Commuter Railroad (now MTA Metro North Railroad), Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority (now MTA Bridges & Tunnels), and Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority (now MTA Staten Island Railway or SIR). Formerly, the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MTA Long Island Bus) was part until 12/31/2011. Only Long Island Rail Road never changed its name, but added  (MTA) in front of it. The new entity is MTA Bus Company in 2004 (just simply MTA Bus on the former private bus lines including: 185-236, 491-658, 1300-1556, 3000-3783, 4020-4039, 4140-4169, 4483-4512, 4631-4655, 5364-5438, 6234-6286, 7438-7482, new 8964-9098. Some ex TA buses now read MTA Bus as well). The rest of the fleet reads (MTA) New York City Bus as well as bus model that some of us collect

That's very insightful, thankyou. Makes you wonder if the MTA will ever consider ferry boat operations...

On 4/19/2022 at 12:09 AM, Lil 57 said:

I think the MTA needs some funds to have flood prevention in depots to prevent future flood related weather.  Castleton and Queens Village are the most prone to flooding, and they need some protection to avoid fleet shortages. I am sure if it's a good idea or not, but this concerns me, and others.

12 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I think the MTA needs some funds to have flood prevention in depots to prevent future flood related weather.  Castleton and Queens Village are the most prone to flooding, and they need some protection to avoid fleet shortages. I am sure if it's a good idea or not, but this concerns me, and others.

Or a least relocate their fleets like Casey Stengel did back during Sandy.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:59 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

says, "that's what we're s

Whats the process of changing depots like? 

OA is having a general pick for the summer pick and I may or may not change depots. I understand I'd have to learn the routes on my own but as far as general depot policies and routines, how will I learn that? For example pulling in routines, maybe a tour of the depot, etc ... is this set up for operators transferring in or is it basically a figure it out yourself kind of thing 

@SevenEleven @SoSpectacular @MTA Move NY @lornaevo

10 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Whats the process of changing depots like? 

OA is having a general pick for the summer pick and I may or may not change depots. I understand I'd have to learn the routes on my own but as far as general depot policies and routines, how will I learn that? For example pulling in routines, maybe a tour of the depot, etc ... is this set up for operators transferring in or is it basically a figure it out yourself kind of thing 

@SevenEleven @SoSpectacular @MTA Move NY @lornaevo

When you pick into another depot you will ride the lines to learn them before you are left to your own devices. You'll swipe your pass and have a sheet that you'll sign and the operator you rode with will also sign this sheet, that's how you get paid. (I've done this for operators who rode lines with me). the depot chairman (or any union rep) will/should give you a depot tour and what the general routine is