BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I figured they were still required, it was odd passing through Jamaica and virtually every bus I saw besides two NICE buses didn’t have the sign so I thought perhaps I missed something. 
I do tend to see more young people not having mask or wearing them incorrectly but I’ve seen lots of middle aged and elderly without them too. 
At this point they might as well get rid of them on public transportation because if I don’t have to wear them in stores and etc why must I still wear on the bus/train. Almost seems counterintuitive to need them in one public setting but not most others anymore. Now if one wants to continue to wear one that’s fine but for those who don’t at this point I wouldn’t make a fuss about it anymore. 

Stores are private businesses that can set their own guidelines, and most opt to not require a mask. The federal mandate is different.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I am a bit curious, are mask still required on MTA buses because I noticed today on my way to work that all the buses that I passed in Jamaica and along Merrick Blvd did not have the “Mask Required” sign flashing. 
I suppose at this point everyone is over the mask wearing thing which I don’t blame them. At work last week we were told we needed to wear mask again and come this week they don’t care anymore. 
A lot of bus operators don’t seem to care anymore either because I catch a lot of them not wearing mask and or partially wearing the mask and most don’t seem to bother telling people to wear a mask anymore. 

It’s one of those rules that isn’t enforced by anyone. Many people and transit workers don’t wear masks and no one seems to care. Even the NYPD doesn’t care. 

IMO the no masks are starting to become like how fare envision is handled, (MTA) workers (especially bus drivers) don’t want to try to enforce the mask policy since they don’t want to risk getting assaulted by someone over a mask, same goes for the fare. Crazy people out here.

Edited by Lil 57

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

It’s one of those rules that isn’t enforced by anyone. Many people and transit workers don’t wear masks and no one seems to care. Even the NYPD doesn’t care. 

IMO the no masks are starting to become like how fare envision is handled, (MTA) workers (especially bus drivers) don’t want to try to enforce the mask policy since they don’t want to risk getting assaulted by someone over a mask, same goes for the fare. Crazy people out here.

I've had a crazy guy on my bs the other day on the m23 who got on in the back but eventually made his way to the front. he was coughing deliberately in the air and was coughing on passengers as they entered the bus. I radioed console but they just said I couldnt kick him off, said there was a bulletin that said i had to let him ride. 

Today console was telling all buses to make sure the PR message "Masks Required" was on the buses. My bus didn't have the message (usually it's automatic and we don't have to add it), they eventually called me personally and told me to add the code. First time they did that. 

16 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

I've had a crazy guy on my bs the other day on the m23 who got on in the back but eventually made his way to the front. he was coughing deliberately in the air and was coughing on passengers as they entered the bus. I radioed console but they just said I couldnt kick him off, said there was a bulletin that said i had to let him ride. 

Today console was telling all buses to make sure the PR message "Masks Required" was on the buses. My bus didn't have the message (usually it's automatic and we don't have to add it), they eventually called me personally and told me to add the code. First time they did that. 

Wow, that's disappointing that they didn't send PD to yank him off the bus

31 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Between 1-6 pm today the SIM4C was all the new 16xx Prevost. About 8 buses on the line. That was nice to see. 

There were a few MCIs on the SIM3C or 33C. I thought Castleton will put them to rest while they have most of the Prevosts out and about. 

The M55 in the morning flies and the operator was driving it like he stole it. I think an SLD ended up calling him and telling to him to slow it down but he was cooking it. It makes no sense how the runtime is scheduled for 20 mins end to end on Saturdays and 27 mins end to end on Sundays, I’ll let you imagine if there’s a difference in traffic or volume of passengers.

it really comes in clutch when the subway headways are absymal as the (4) was running about ~20 mins.

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

The M55 in the morning flies and the operator was driving it like he stole it. I think an SLD ended up calling him and telling to him to slow it down but he was cooking it. It makes no sense how the runtime is scheduled for 20 mins end to end on Saturdays and 27 mins end to end on Sundays, I’ll let you imagine if there’s a difference in traffic or volume of passengers.

it really comes in clutch when the subway headways are absymal as the (4) was running about ~20 mins.

No imagining necessary on my end, because I've been on an M55 (SB) that took 19 whole minutes from end to end... Looking at my logs, it was a trip I did a little over a year ago (4/17/21 to be exact).... Left 44th at 8:21am & arrived at S. Ferry at 8:40am.... Outside of that epic M55 ride, I remember this trip because it was supposed to be an NJT trip I ended up abandoning, due to a #163 no showing - which threw a monkeywrench into the whole itinerary... So yeah, basically made something out of nothing....

While I don't remember the exact intersections right this second, we caught every green light from the 30's, on down to FiDi; a couple blocks/lights short from literally running nonstop from Midtown to S. Ferry....  Traffic was light as shit & it was only myself & one other person the whole ride (he got off at the stop after 42nd)....

On 5/24/2022 at 2:14 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Stores are private businesses that can set their own guidelines, and most opt to not require a mask. The federal mandate is different.

So on April 18, a federal judge in Florida issued a nationwide injunction on this mandate. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/classroom/2022/04/a-judge-struck-down-the-travel-mask-mandate-heres-what-that-means-for-you/

While that makes its way through the legal system, the mandate is not actually enforceable.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

So on April 18, a federal judge in Florida issued a nationwide injunction on this mandate. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/classroom/2022/04/a-judge-struck-down-the-travel-mask-mandate-heres-what-that-means-for-you/

While that makes its way through the legal system, the mandate is not actually enforceable.

Correct, but they are still required on buses, trains, etc. here in NYC when riding the (MTA) and some drivers are not allowing passengers to get on without it.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Correct, but they are still required on buses, trains, etc. here in NYC when riding the (MTA) and some drivers are not allowing passengers to get on without it.

Not quite. The MTA's initial mandate was based on federal law. Now, the MTA is making the claim that it is based on state law without the executive order being rewritten. It is an interpretation that would likely fall to a legal challenge.

7 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Not quite. The MTA's initial mandate was based on federal law. Now, the MTA is making the claim that it is based on state law without the executive order being rewritten. It is an interpretation that would likely fall to a legal challenge.

Not quite what? I am stating exactly what the (MTA) has said, which is that masks are still required. It's not a "not quite". They either are or they aren't. Now if you want to debate what they are basing it on and whether it would hold to a legal challenge, that's another matter, but they are still required. Some people think otherwise because no one is enforcing the mask requirement, but that too is another matter.

Updated April 26, 2022

About mask requirements

Masks are still required at indoor train stations and on board subways, commuter rail, buses, and paratransit vehicles.

You do not have to wear a mask at outdoor train stations and platforms, or at bus stops. You must wear a mask once you board a train, bus or paratransit vehicle. 

Learn more about mask requirements.

If you don’t have a mask, we’ll give you a free one. Ask at a subway station booth, or ask a LIRR or Metro-North station ambassador. You can also purchase a mask from PPE vending machines that we're testing in 10 stations.

Riders who refuse to wear a mask could get a $50 fine.

Source: https://new.mta.info/coronavirus

Masks Are Still Required for N.Y.C. Public Transit, Taxis and Ride Shares

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority doubled down on its mask mandate for subways, buses and commuter rail, as airlines lifted their requirements.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/19/nyregion/nyc-mta-mask-mandate.html

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 5/29/2022 at 8:50 AM, NBTA said:

Is the Bx12 Summer schedule out? I’ve been seeing Bx12s to Inwood past the scheduled time they’re supposed to be there. Also spotted a couple of LFSes on the line too.

It'll be released during their next start pick, around last week of June 2022. There will be a parade of Novas during the weekends. 

Edited by Calvin

What's the overall distribution of M14-SBS passengers seeking Avenues A or D? I understand that the objective is to adequately serve 14th Street, but for those who are seeking points on the Lower East Side, it could be rather difficult to reach, specifically Avenue A with how the route schedule is split in a ratio of 2 to 1. Grand Street and Avenue A are traffic prone due to various factors, lowering the reliability of the Avenue A Branch, but in practice there are often 3 buses running along Avenue D to 1 bus running along Avenue A, revealing issues that the MTA should address to improve the M14-SBS.

55 minutes ago, IchibanTei said:

What's the overall distribution of M14-SBS passengers seeking Avenues A or D? I understand that the objective is to adequately serve 14th Street, but for those who are seeking points on the Lower East Side, it could be rather difficult to reach, specifically Avenue A with how the route schedule is split in a ratio of 2 to 1. Grand Street and Avenue A are traffic prone due to various factors, lowering the reliability of the Avenue A Branch, but in practice there are often 3 buses running along Avenue D to 1 bus running along Avenue A, revealing issues that the MTA should address to improve the M14-SBS.

Why don't you use the routes and see for yourself? I don't understand all of these posts with people proposing to "fix issues" when they have never used the lines. Both branches are necessary because of how isolated those parts of Lower Manhattan are. I know because I had to travel to them from my office for meetings regularly pre-COVID. I usually went by car, but on occasion, depending on the exact location, I have used the M14A and M14D. I forget which one, but one line was very unreliable and the waits could be quite long. I think that's what led me to eventually going by car unless I wasn't in a rush.

My usage of both lines was before they put in the bus only sections though, and I can say that the 14th St section from my experience moved very well the times I used it. I am not sure what could be done to address any of the issues south of 14th St though. 

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why don't you use the routes and see for yourself? I don't understand all of these posts with people proposing to "fix issues" when they have never used the lines. Both branches are necessary because of how isolated those parts of Lower Manhattan are. I know because I had to travel to them from my office for meetings regularly pre-COVID. I usually went by car, but on occasion, depending on the exact location, I have used the M14A and M14D. I forget which one, but one line was very unreliable and the waits could be quite long. I think that's what led me to eventually going by car unless I wasn't in a rush.

My usage of both lines was before they put in the bus only sections though, and I can say that the 14th St section from my experience moved very well the times I used it. I am not sure what could be done to address any of the issues south of 14th St though. 

I ride the M14-SBS 5 days a week and just wanted to know what were some things that could be done to address the unreliability of the route and be put into effect. I'm not disputing why there are two separate branches, it's exactly to reiterate the point you had made - that it's not bad along 14th Street, but unreliable on other sections of the line.

10 minutes ago, IchibanTei said:

I ride the M14-SBS 5 days a week and just wanted to know what were some things that could be done to address the unreliability of the route and be put into effect. I'm not disputing why there are two separate branches, it's exactly to reiterate the point you had made - that it's not bad along 14th Street, but unreliable on other sections of the line.

There's already all door boarding, so the only thing that could be done is working with DOT to address any lights that hold up service south of 14th St & bus stop consolidation. I did find that my trips were just very slow I believe on the M14A if memory serves me correctly. Seemed like the line just crawls along Avenue A and there are too many stops. 

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's already all door boarding, so the only thing that could be done is working with DOT to address any lights that hold up service south of 14th St & bus stop consolidation. I did find that my trips were just very slow I believe on the M14A if memory serves me correctly. Seemed like the line just crawls along Avenue A and there are too many stops. 

I had the same idea in mind when it comes to syncing the traffic signals. The experience I have with that bus sometimes has me getting off before I reach Union Square to settle catching the L train at 1st Avenue. There's also a right-turn lane on Grand Avenue that effectively delays the bus on the regular that should be looked at. Sometimes the bus will be delayed at least 5-10 minutes because of that alone.

27 minutes ago, MTAbus677 said:

Quick question, is it a good idea to take the BxM4 going towards Woodlawn to Yankee Stadium during Rush Hour?

If it's game days, I think not. There's heavy traffic and crowding along Jerome Av when it occurs. Esp. going home. 

13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

If it's game days, I think not. There's heavy traffic and crowding along Jerome Av when it occurs. Esp. going home. 

The BxM4 doesn't use Jerome Avenue though, so your point is moot. I've been down there on game days. The Concourse moves just fine. The BxM4 takes Madison up and then across the Madison Av Bridge over to Grand Concourse. Game days impact the Deegan, not the Concourse.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 6/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I rode it frequently for a time before covid, after they installed the bus only sections, and it moved nicely and was pretty consistent. Limiting the traffic made a big difference