BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Does the MTA really save that much money, by ending the B46 at Fillmore Ave, three blocks short of Kings Plaza?

I was on an B46 that short turned at Fillmore today, The B46 local behind it was an Fillmore bus too, these runs end there, loop around and pull into the depot. There wasn't another B46 local to KP coming so I just walked the rest of the way.

That's the trick, go oos at Filmore and make you walk the rest of the way. That's the MTA way of being cheap. They rather do dumb things like that rather than go the full route.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Does the MTA really save that much money, by ending the B46 at Fillmore Ave, three blocks short of Kings Plaza?

I was on an B46 that short turned at Fillmore today, The B46 local behind it was an Fillmore bus too, these runs end there, loop around and pull into the depot. There wasn't another B46 local to KP coming so I just walked the rest of the way.

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

That's the trick, go oos at Filmore and make you walk the rest of the way. That's the MTA way of being cheap. They rather do dumb things like that rather than go the full route.

Yeah, those Fillmore short turns been a thing; PITA if you're trying to get to Kings Plaza.... Dealt with it for the longest, growing up... I refuse to take that walk out of GP (general principle)...... While those short turns in question saves whatever amt. of money it does, I'm starting to believe they're having an increasing amt. of locals end at Fillmore to save space.... It's bad enough they cut local service for the sake of SBS service to begin with.... But at some point, I see it coming to a point where only the SBS' will run down to Kings Plaza.... As of late, every single time I've either passed by or went to Kings Plaza, the B46 lane/area's been clogged with SBS'....

Edited by B35 via Church

Does Orchard Beach provide bus service during the Sunday and Monday, the week of Labor Day? I noticed today when boarding the Q35 from Beach 116 St, the Q35 made an additional (extra) stop at Riis Park going to Brooklyn College as this week, the schedules are listed to bypass the Park after Beach 149 St and to the next stop, Beach 169 St.

Edited by Calvin

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

in a word, yes.

i definitely see how customers can view the fillmore short signs (and the 46sbs avenue N short signs) as a inconvenience/annoyance, but management only started utilizing the fillmore signs as a way to cut run times across the board. there are several relief runs that start at fillmore and quite frankly, having done several late(r) runs on the 46 LTD/lcl (in years past) it made absolutely no sense to bypass the depot, carry air into KP on a pull in trip and sit on the fuel line longer than necessary. even during some periods of the day, it makes absolutely no sense to run EVERY single trip to KP... especially now with artics clogging up space (as was mentioned beforehand)

12 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

in a word, yes.

i definitely see how customers can view the fillmore short signs (and the 46sbs avenue N short signs) as a inconvenience/annoyance, but management only started utilizing the fillmore signs as a way to cut run times across the board. there are several relief runs that start at fillmore and quite frankly, having done several late(r) runs on the 46 LTD/lcl (in years past) it made absolutely no sense to bypass the depot, carry air into KP on a pull in trip and sit on the fuel line longer than necessary. even during some periods of the day, it makes absolutely no sense to run EVERY single trip to KP... especially now with artics clogging up space (as was mentioned beforehand)

This.... is... a very underrated point.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Was the bus signed up properly?

So the front destination sign was signed up properly. But the digital information screen wasn't displaying properly. So it would just show "Stop Requested" and then the picture of the bus on the map with no route below it. So I guess the OMNY reader and whatever the digital information screen is connected to is from the same source of information which should be the farebox but idk.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, danielhg121 said:

So the front destination sign was signed up properly. But the digital information screen wasn't displaying properly. So it would just show "Stop Requested" and then the picture of the bus on the map with no route below it. So I guess the OMNY reader and whatever the digital information screen is connected to is from the same source of information which should be the farebox but idk.

Maybe it's related to the changes they made to make it harder for people to track people's trips after the safety/stalking concerns were raised

5 hours ago, lornaevo said:

It’s nice seeing 9001 in service on the Q64. 

I caught 8964 on the Q64 last Sunday. Personally it is surreal seeing these buses on MTA bus routes because when I think of MTA bus I think of Orion Hybirds. NYCT has been getting most of the new buses over the past 13 years. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Had to wait 30 minutes for B17 to Canarsie at the first stop in Crown Heights, I have the WORST luck when it comes to this route early evenings.

Speaking of Utica/Eastern Pkwy, do they still have the B14 picking up on the main road, or does it pick up on the service road (with the B17) like it used to?

24 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Speaking of Utica/Eastern Pkwy, do they still have the B14 picking up on the main road, or does it pick up on the service road (with the B17) like it used to?

The B14 picks up on the main road.

The B17 picks up on both (which is annoying AF). When the 17 picks up on the main road everyone waiting at the 17 stop on the service road gotta make a mad dash to catch the bus on the main road.

Edited by trainfan22

43 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The B14 picks up on the main road.

The B17 picks up on both (which is annoying AF). When the 17 picks up on the main road everyone waiting at the 17 stop on the service road gotta make a mad dash to catch the bus on the main road.

Still on the main road huh.... alright, thanks.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Had to wait 30 minutes for B17 to Canarsie at the first stop in Crown Heights, I have the WORST luck when it comes to this route early evenings. 

I have to wait 40+ minutes for the Q36 everyday because of QV's dumb games. Takes me an hour and half to two travel 2 miles

Went around "the old way" yesterday. I noticed that the (B12) bus stop to the far side on the triangle of Empire Blvd,  ENY Ave, and E.91St.  I think that was a good move...  Although,  Ill remember that old bus stop by White Castle.   Now,  no bus stops on either side of Wh ite Castle.   The (B17) bus stop towards Schenectady Ave side of the (3)/(4) Station was removed recently when the traffic pattern was reconfigured. 

Since when does the Canarsie bound (B103LTD)runs on Glenwoo d Rd?  I noticed a sign on Glenwood and Williams? 

Edited by SubBus

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Still on the main road huh.... alright, thanks.

Yep,  noticed that yesterday as well around the old way.   The (B14) turned onto the main road at Schenectady, while the (B17)was already on the main road waiting at the light. 

Edited by SubBus

1 hour ago, SubBus said:

Went around "the old way" yesterday. I noticed that the (B12) bus stop to the far side on the triangle of Empire Blvd,  ENY Ave, and E.91St.  I think that was a good move...  Although,  Ill remember that old bus stop by White Castle.   Now,  no bus stops on either side of White Castle.   The (B17) bus stop towards Schenectady Ave side of the (3)/(4) Station was removed recently when the traffic pattern was reconfigured. 

Since when does the Canarsie bound (B103LTD)runs on Glenwood Rd?  I noticed a sign on Glenwood and Williams?

The B103 always ran on Glenwood rd. - albeit between the Glenwood houses & E. 80th..... That sign on the corner of Glenwood & Williams (lol) was put there in error, around the time that scaffolding was put up on that corner (I wanna say that was sometime in 2020 or 2021).... Can't say I'm surprised it's still up, because there's still a bus stop along the B12 (don't remember which stop, right this second) that has the Cypress Hills signage up on it... Smfh....

As for that EB B12 stop at Utica being shifted across the street... Guess they got tired of replacing the glass at the bus shelter... At some point, they removed the entire shelter (with buses still stopping there) - Then next thing you know, the whole dam stop (pole) was gone.... Hit me by surprise that morning when I first noticed the stop shift...... Whatever the reason for it being moved was, I'm not in favor of it... Petty, but now I gotta cross Utica to get to White Castle, instead of being dropped off right there....

24 minutes ago, nuyorican said:

What’s up with CS seems like all they run are short buses on the q12, are they short on artics? 

Maybe they’re restricting the older XD60’s just to rush hour service. It appears that apart from the main batch 5987-6029, the Q44 pretty much absorbs the local fleet from the Q12. At first, you didn’t really see anything from 6031 and up on the Q44 and then slowly, they’ve pretty much been assigned to the Q44 everyday. The 4700’s are still for the Q12 but they’ll throw them on the Q44 from time to time.

6 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Maybe they’re restricting the older XD60’s just to rush hour service. It appears that apart from the main batch 5987-6029, the Q44 pretty much absorbs the local fleet from the Q12. At first, you didn’t really see anything from 6031 and up on the Q44 and then slowly, they’ve pretty much been assigned to the Q44 everyday. The 4700’s are still for the Q12 but they’ll throw them on the Q44 from time to time.

They did lose the 4700s they got on loan from Grand, plus 4724 to Grand as well. Only 4726-4736 remain. Stengel has used their standard fleet on the Q12 for ages, but its been more noticeable as more artics are shown the door.

The question for the Q12: did the route actually gained more ridership because of their use of articulated buses? Or it's the same using both the standard and articulated buses on the line. I noticed that 6033, 6035, 6037 and 6039 gets switched from time to time between the Q12 and Q44-SBS. 

On 9/10/2023 at 9:57 PM, B35 via Church said:

The B103 always ran on Glenwood rd. - albeit between the Glenwood houses & E. 80th..... That sign on the corner of Glenwood & Williams (lol) was put there in error, around the time that scaffolding was put up on that corner (I wanna say that was sometime in 2020 or 2021).... Can't say I'm surprised it's still up, because there's still a bus stop along the B12 (don't remember which stop, right this second) that has the Cypress Hills signage up on it... Smfh....

As for that EB B12 stop at Utica being shifted across the street... Guess they got tired of replacing the glass at the bus shelter... At some point, they removed the entire shelter (with buses still stopping there) - Then next thing you know, the whole dam stop (pole) was gone.... Hit me by surprise that morning when I first noticed the stop shift...... Whatever the reason for it being moved was, I'm not in favor of it... Petty, but now I gotta cross Utica to get to White Castle, instead of being dropped off right there....

I know about the (B103LTD) stint along Glenwood,  that's why I was kinda confused about the location of the sign.

As for the movement of the (B12)bus stop across Utica,  I can see why one would not like it. That intersection can be tricky to cross if you are transferring from a  KP bound (B46)/(B46SBS).

I didn't check to see if it still reads "Cypress Hills"....

Fan of them "murder burgers", huh?