BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, SubBus said:

As for the movement of the (B12)bus stop across Utica,  I can see why one would not like it. That intersection can be tricky to cross if you are transferring from a  KP bound (B46)/(B46SBS).

I didn't check to see if it still reads "Cypress Hills"....

Nah, not the new/shifted Utica stop..... I'm saying another stop on the B12 along the route still got an old Cypress Hills sign...

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

The question for the Q12: did the route actually gained more ridership because of their use of articulated buses? Or it's the same using both the standard and articulated buses on the line. I noticed that 6033, 6035, 6037 and 6039 gets switched from time to time between the Q12 and Q44-SBS. 

I'm not sure about ridership but they did cut the short runs to 165th st because the route became articulated. If CS is running 40ft buses on the line so consistently they should bring back the short runs.

Edited by IAlam

5 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm not sure about ridership but they did cut the short runs to 165th st because the route became articulated. If CS is running 40ft buses on the line so consistently they should bring back the short runs.

It’s a service cut lol. 
step 1: introduce artics -> cut frequencies and short-turns

step 2: reintroduce 40 fters lol

18 hours ago, Calvin said:

The question for the Q12: did the route actually gained more ridership because of their use of articulated buses? Or it's the same using both the standard and articulated buses on the line. I noticed that 6033, 6035, 6037 and 6039 gets switched from time to time between the Q12 and Q44-SBS.

6 hours ago, IAlam said:

Stengel runs 40-foot buses on the Q12 because they don't have enough artics. During off-peak, they need 10 buses. Stengel only has 11 2012 XD60s and the Q44 sucks most of the 2016-17 XD60s away.

17 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Stengel runs 40-foot buses on the Q12 because they don't have enough artics. During off-peak, they need 10 buses. Stengel only has 11 2012 XD60s and the Q44 sucks most of the 2016-17 XD60s away.

They actually have enough. Maintenance is what causes 40fters to show up on the Q12.

Those 4700s have been shop queens ever since they arrived at Stengel, the work that was done to them before they left The Bronx hasn't helped much. Ulmer Park's XD60 fleet is also going through the same thing. Grand Avenue's fleet is basically the best of the bunch.

23 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

They actually have enough. Maintenance is what causes 40fters to show up on the Q12.

Those 4700s have been shop queens ever since they arrived at Stengel, the work that was done to them before they left The Bronx hasn't helped much. Ulmer Park's XD60 fleet is also going through the same thing. Grand Avenue's fleet is basically the best of the bunch.

Can’t they pull some from the Q44 fleet for service or it’s thin over there too? I guess some are on the fuel line, some aren’t ready for service, some are getting repaired or maintained. 

I checked yesterday when it was mentioned and there was one 4700 on the Q12 lol. 

10 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Can’t they pull some from the Q44 fleet for service or it’s thin over there too? I guess some are on the fuel line, some aren’t ready for service, some are getting repaired or maintained. 

I checked yesterday when it was mentioned and there was one 4700 on the Q12 lol. 

They do, but those 6000s are either busy or in the shop as they’re used heavily. 6011 and 6083 on the Q12 right now and you’ll see some from the Q44 pool every once in a while.

22 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

They do, but those 6000s are either busy or in the shop as they’re used heavily. 6011 and 6083 on the Q12 right now and you’ll see some from the Q44 pool every once in a while.

More often than not, those are in the shop too.

Doesn't help that one has been OOS for a while due to an accident that damaged the front end.

55 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

More often than not, those are in the shop too.

Doesn't help that one has been OOS for a while due to an accident that damaged the front end.

Hoping within the next 2 artic orders enough are ordered for spares on both the Q12/44 (even if the former dosent use them too much)

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

So did The Bronx really beat those buses up, or is it just due to the quality of that particular batch of XD60’s?

Some of those LFS’s that came from the Bronx don’t sound that well either. I forgot the bus numbers but there were two 83xx series buses that I was on a month or so back that were making some weird noises that I haven’t heard LFS’s make before. 

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So did The Bronx really beat those buses up, or is it just due to the quality of that particular batch of XD60’s?

Some of those LFS’s that came from the Bronx don’t sound that well either. I forgot the bus numbers but there were two 83xx series buses that I was on a month or so back that were making some weird noises that I haven’t heard LFS’s make before. 

A bit of both.

The Bronx(except Eastchester) beats up any local bus. But you also gotta remember that the 4700s were the first production XD60s ever built. They are also up there in age.

1 hour ago, xD4nn said:

Who is planned to get the 5 LFSe+? Is it Kingsbridge? Jamaica still has a gantry installation contract for some reason so is it possible Jamaica gets it instead?

Kingsbridge is exclusively getting the LFSe's. The demo that was recently here only went to Quill and Kingsbridge.

Edited by Cait Sith

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/mta-bus-pancakes-parked-cars-in-brooklyn-driver-pulled-from-duty/4683981/#:~:text=Officials say the driver of,Avenue U and Mill Avenue.

The passengers that were on board the bus are alright with no injuries as a fortunate sign. Although, it was said that the B47 crashed in to a bunched of parked cars earlier today at Mill Av between Avenue U and T. 

Edited by Calvin

On 9/12/2023 at 10:20 PM, Calvin said:

from what I've seen, it's not getting that much increased ridership. Sure, it helps the school kids at JHS158 and the other schools, but minus that, I haven't really seen much people riding them.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:31 PM, Calvin said:

Does Orchard Beach provide bus service during the Sunday and Monday, the week of Labor Day? I noticed today when boarding the Q35 from Beach 116 St, the Q35 made an additional (extra) stop at Riis Park going to Brooklyn College as this week, the schedules are listed to bypass the Park after Beach 149 St and to the next stop, Beach 169 St.

yes

1 hour ago, Sylveon said:

from what I've seen, it's not getting that much increased ridership. Sure, it helps the school kids at JHS158 and the other schools, but minus that, I haven't really seen much people riding them.

The Q12 averages around 6,000 to 7,000 people a day per week, with ridership being lower during the weekend. Monthly, it averages around 165,000 to 185,000 riders a month.

Pretty hard to say that people don't ride the line, especially since I've been on pretty packed Q12s myself, especially with artics.

Edited by Cait Sith

54 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The Q12 averages around 6,000 to 7,000 people a day per week, with ridership being lower during the weekend. Monthly, it averages around 165,000 to 185,000 riders a month.

Pretty hard to say that people don't ride the line, especially since I've been on pretty packed Q12s myself, especially with artics.

Also gotta take down frequencies and such, and even calculating that it makes sense for the Q12 to be set up this way especially with off peak service not seeing as much ridership.

Seen 4965 IRL in midtown today. As soon as I saw it make a right on 42nd from 6th Ave I immediately made an U turn to catch it on 5th Ave but then.. as Im walking down 42nd Street E/B that bus FLEW by me like an bat out of hell down the 42nd Street. I gave up once I realized I wasn't catching that bus and made another U turn and went home lol. 

For those of you who like fast buses, I think yall is gonna like these new XE40s, to the naked eye these aren't nerfed at all like most of our Diesel & CNG buses. 

From what I can tell, 4965 can't be tracked on bustime so you have look for it the old fashioned way.

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

@Calvin & @Kingsbridgeviewer382 are the only (2) I know that has the updated roster. 

13 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Anyone know what happened to TTMG site roster? It no longer updates anymore.

From what I know, not to go personal on the author of the website, he no longer resides in the New York City state. And a working man, timing for the website is very limited but will try his best to keep it updated with photos. 

Edited by Calvin

I heard the MTA is having a rodeo down at Orchard Beach tomorrow. Although, I wonder if the forecast predicts heavy rain this weekend will cause it to not happen or pull it to another weekend where it's nice and cloudy. 

Edited by Calvin