BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 11/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, Calvin said:

Q50 - Main St by 39th Av, right by GNC

Q17 - Main St by 38th Av

Q48, I believe remains at Main St by Roosevelt Av, close to the US 1 Supermarket. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m surprised they are going to keep the Q17 two blocks away from the (7) when it used to stop right in front of one of the entrances. I expect a few more people to pile up on Q25/Q34 as a result. 

I’m actually glad about this change the Q50 and the Q17 stops are in better locations now and if possible I hope the move up the Q27 stop. People who want the first bus the comes can continue to use the stop in front of the library. Now if only they could replace the bus stop signs with modern day ones. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Proterra's bus manufacturing business is now owned by Phoenix Motorcar. Purchased for 10 million dollars.....that's astonishing.

Screenshot_20231115-154536.png

wow that’s insane that it was sold for that little. But what happened to VanHool? I thought they were going to purchase it.

2 minutes ago, IAlam said:

wow that’s insane that it was sold for that little. But what happened to VanHool? I thought they were going to purchase it.

I don't think they were listed as a potential suiter for the business. I think they were shooting for the battery business, not the bus manufacturing side of things.

On 11/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Ahh got it.. Than mayor copy cat went along with it and boom here we go.  Since, I work in the vicinity of the area. Traffic is gonna be horrendous and there's absolutely NO parking on Livingston in both directions and since Schermerhorn Street is one direction (Eastbound Boerum to Flatbush) Parking in that area is gonna get very stupid.

It also does not help that he put one of the most unqualified people in charge of the DOT. Not a single bit of background in transportation infrastructure. LOL

1 minute ago, SoSpectacular said:

It also does not help that he put one of the most unqualified people in charge of the DOT. Not a single bit of background in transportation infrastructure. LOL

I never understood why Ydanis Rodriguez was put in charge of the DOT when he was only a member of the city council in Manhattan.

11 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Total political favor appointment like everyone else in this crooked administration! Ydanis has no clue about anything.

Not sure what exactly the protocol is for buses with glitched out sighs but 7494's driver (the (Bx22) to Zerega) took himself oos because his signs do not work at all.

But the vianova signs and tracker is still online and doing it's normal route even though he said he was going to the depot (unless repairs like that are for Zerega to fix)

I wonder if the middle white strip is still in effect on the local, limited or SBS buses. I've boarded a B36 that's a usual XD-40 that has the white strip close to the drivers cab and another that's in the middle. As well as the B35, the strip is right by the operators cab. 

On 11/18/2023 at 8:46 PM, xD4nn said:

Will they move buses/routes around to other depots temporarily? 

iinm transit has a lease agreement with York College for their unused lots to store buses. it's yet to be determined if Jamaica Depot will operate as is with the usage of those lots or if some lines will be temporarily displaced.

20 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

iinm transit has a lease agreement with York College for their unused lots to store buses. it's yet to be determined if Jamaica Depot will operate as is with the usage of those lots or if some lines will be temporarily displaced.

The older documents I've read state that they need at least 170 buses to be stored in the lot, but I don't know if the one they leased from York can accommodate that.

Just had a thought but wouldn’t it be easier to fold the Hudson Riverlink buses that Metro-North contracts outside to an in-house NYCT operation? I know the funding sources would prob be different but wouldn’t this be an easier solution? They could use older buses that are about to be retired instead of high-floor buses.

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Just had a thought but wouldn’t it be easier to fold the Hudson Riverlink buses that Metro-North contracts outside to an in-house NYCT operation? I know the funding sources would prob be different but wouldn’t this be an easier solution? They could use older buses that are about to be retired instead of high-floor buses.

not necessarily. for those contracts, those companies and bus operators would more than likely be solely (or primarily) focused on providing those services. the issue with NYCTA/MaBSTOA/Bus Company is that operators have to be scraped together to provide those services as overtime, so it can be considered a very unreliable service model if I'm being honest. plus, as is stated in the documents, those companies are being contracted based on close proximity to the MNR lines that need coverage over the duration of the contract (60 months)

clearly, they don't want to utilize NYCT equipment traveling those distances to provide those services anymore. plus, I'd find it very hard to believe that MNR customers will be content with riding on beat-to-s**t Orion 7 OG's/NG's.