BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just earlier there was a car crash outside my building, since firetrucks and ambulences were blocking up the whole street, Q38s were going up & down jct blvd. it is pretty weird to see a C40 where an RTS, Orion V or Hybrid is supposed to be :).

I just noticed, 3609 hasn't been repainted yet. It is a whiteback tho but it has the black filler on sides around back door & has the older smaller black number above the front door.

Just a few notes more note then I'm off:

-While riding #9556 yesterday, I just happened to notice that it had huge a** numbering stickers. Wonder what's behind the need for the big numbers.:confused:

-This morning I had to witness Orion VII #6426...which now has the new scheme as well!

-Ne Flyer XD40 #4819 kept repeating it's "please exit throughtherear door" 6x after the stop requested sign lit up (guessin somebody played with the button or leaned against it). I just had to Lol! (Although not outloud)

-Orion V #6125 sounds off a ringer like the V CNG counterparts.

Does anyone know what they use the old Hudson Pier Depot for? I walked over to it today and it looked completely dead with exception to a few Hudson park employees standing in the front. It was pitch black inside and it still has a couple MTA signs up in the front. Isn't it suppose to.be converted into a shopping center or something??
How big is it? And would it be ideal if it was converted into a museum and have the museum bus fleet stored there? Seems like such a shame there's no full year place* for the general public to see those buses compared to the TM in Brooklyn for the subway cars..

*once a year festivals in Brooklyn is not good enough especially since there can only be so many buses that can be lined up on the street.

Oh, ok. I still hope one day the MTA will find some central location for those buses as it's a shame to not get to see all of the buses at one place and time. It's either the special events like December where a bus is parked in random locations or on 42nd st being in service, etc. Even charging admissions to a few people could be better than putting them in some garage 'gathering dust'.

You know it's basically a warehouse, and I don't believe it's MTA property either. They haven't had that place in a while, and I'm 99% it's used by the NYPD today. I always pass it on the highway, I don't think it's exactly ready to be a museum -- no more ready than Amsterdam, which the TA does own.

I don't even think the police use that place anymore. When I say pitch black i mean there wasn't a single light on in the place. And you can feel the cold air coming out of the open bay doors. To tell the truth, I got kind of an unsettling feeling standing in front of that place.

:sigh: People have no common sense. Once again some person gets on the Bergen Beach B41 and by Kings highway they go up to the driver asking for the transfer to get off. Today was the first time I hear the b/o make the announcement over the PA telling ppl the bus was not heading to KP. At Av P two more ppl were ready to get on only for the driver to tell them it was a Bergen Beach bus.

They need to just rename the Bergen branch to the B41b, because ppl will still run for the bus seeing B41 and not read the destination. People will never learn or read, may as well make it easy for everyone and rename the branches and clear the confusion.

On another note, I got on RTS 9644. Like i keep saying, these buses seems to find me, I don't even need to chase/wait for it. But it does sound different on the inside. You don't really hear that distinctive whirring sound that you do from outside when the bus accelerates.

:sigh: People have no common sense. Once again some person gets on the Bergen Beach B41 and by Kings highway they go up to the driver asking for the transfer to get off. Today was the first time I hear the b/o make the announcement over the PA telling ppl the bus was not heading to KP. At Av P two more ppl were ready to get on only for the driver to tell them it was a Bergen Beach bus.

They need to just rename the Bergen branch to the B41b, because ppl will still run for the bus seeing B41 and not read the destination. People will never learn or read, may as well make it easy for everyone and rename the branches and clear the confusion.

That still goes on w/ the bergen beach 41's... smh...

lol @ 2 old ladies gettin into a shoving match upon boarding the B68... happened at the mermaid bus loop/terminal... some homeless guy tried to intervene, but this one dude across the street (by the mcdonalds) yells out "you in my shot", as he started coming closer & closer.... of all the things to want to record (and most likely put up on the internet).....

I was waiting for the B82 at the time (JUST as I got there, one had pulled out)... after having came from nathan's, after having ridden the x28 & walking.... While waiting, I was staring at how crammed those B74's were (as I always tend to) - every last one of them (3 total) left packed to the gills.... guess ppl. are really gettin fed up w/ the wait for the B36 out there.....

On another note, I got on RTS 9644. Like i keep saying, these buses seems to find me, I don't even need to chase/wait for it. But it does sound different on the inside. You don't really hear that distinctive whirring sound that you do from outside when the bus accelerates.

Happens all the time.

Most of the regulars look at the destination sign, but others just don't have a clue. I know at the Junction they have two stands designated for the B41 - the first one is for the Kings Plaza B41, shared with the B103; the second is for the Bergen Beach B41s, shared with the Q35.

Usually, for my bus, after discharging at Avenue P, or bypassing it, I'll get on the PA and announce, "this is a 41 to Bergen Beach, next stop is 45th St.". I've had folks ride with me all the way to 71st Street, and I get on the PA and say "last stop", and they go outside looking for Kings Plaza, only to find residential houses, and a nice pizza place across the street. lmao! They ask me, "where's Kings Plaza?", I tell em, "you got on the wrong bus, guy. there's two B41 branches, and you got on the Bergen Beach one, not KP." I usually direct them to wait for the B3 around the corner that'll get them to the Plaza. It happens 60% of the time.

As for 9644, I've had that bus twice. Nice rocket.

People's ignorance never amazes me...even though the bus destination sign tells you where the bus is going, not to mention the bus stop signs for NYCT routes, people still ask what bus it is and where it's going to...not to mention people who always have issues putting the card in the farebox when there's a diagram on top of the farebox as well as the front side of the farebox (not to mention by the door of the bus before you get on). Smh.

People's ignorance never amazes me...even though the bus destination sign tells you where the bus is going, not to mention the bus stop signs for NYCT routes, people still ask what bus it is and where it's going to...not to mention people who always have issues putting the card in the farebox when there's a diagram on top of the farebox as well as the front side of the farebox (not to mention by the door of the bus before you get on). Smh.

Is everyone just realizing that 85% of the human race dosen't read when they should?

It's not ignorance. It's called I'm too lazy to read. :D

That is possible about wrong signs displayed, but for the most part people should still read the destination than to hop on and find out when it's almost too late they got on the wrong bus.

Happens all the time.

Most of the regulars look at the destination sign, but others just don't have a clue. I know at the Junction they have two stands designated for the B41 - the first one is for the Kings Plaza B41, shared with the B103; the second is for the Bergen Beach B41s, shared with the Q35.

Usually, for my bus, after discharging at Avenue P, or bypassing it, I'll get on the PA and announce, "this is a 41 to Bergen Beach, next stop is 45th St.". I've had folks ride with me all the way to 71st Street, and I get on the PA and say "last stop", and they go outside looking for Kings Plaza, only to find residential houses, and a nice pizza place across the street. lmao! They ask me, "where's Kings Plaza?", I tell em, "you got on the wrong bus, guy. there's two B41 branches, and you got on the Bergen Beach one, not KP." I usually direct them to wait for the B3 around the corner that'll get them to the Plaza. It happens 60% of the time.

As for 9644, I've had that bus twice. Nice rocket.

Yup. At the junction they are 2 separate stands and ppl still runs for the first B41 they see and not bother to read the destination of the bus.

:smh: They end up staying the whole way? They deserve to pay another fare for their stupidity. I've never been all the way to the end of the line before and forgot about the B3.

I know most drivers would tell ppl to get off and take the KP B41 at 45th, when the ppl panics seeing the bus make a left to Av N, but what about telling ppl to get off at Utica for the B46? I hardly hear any driver tell ppl about that option.

Cool, I love 9644. I hope that bus is preserved for the museum. I wonder if there are any buses like that?