BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What's with you and these pull cords?! LOL. I haven't seen anyone talk about pull cords like this!!

it looks terrible...and at night time its embarrassing...i took a S.I orion V and the pull cord was all hanging from the front....nasty...

then those XD40s.....seeing the pull cord hanging 3 feet...and tied to a window seal...thats ghetto...

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit confused here.

Weekday X17Cs from SI to Manhattan seem to not stop in Lower Manhattan at all, even when the X17A/X19 don't run. Why would that be, and would a B/O make a quick stop downtown if I asked him/her like VG8 claims they do on the BM3?

They're supposed to. I don't know why your bus didn't (because I have caught X17Cs on the weekdays coming back from Manhattan, plenty of times) Unless all the seats were taken and the B/O didn't want to to have any standees or something.

As for getting off in Lower Manhattan, well, you're not supposed to do it (even though he claims there's this big exemption policy for NYCT routes. :rolleyes: ), but it all depends on the driver. I've actually heard some drivers announce Battery Place (though they didn't announce every other stop), so those particular drivers probably would've let somebody off if they wanted to be let off. I mean, with Battery Place, the thing is that you have other routes that stop there (you have the routes that came from Water Street, and the routes that come down Broadway), so it might technically be considered a transfer point (I think going northbound on Greenwich Street, the sign over there says something like "NYCT Express Bus Transfer Point" or something like that, so the same rule might apply southbound. But I'd ask the driver, and just tell them that you'll pay the full $5.50 fare (or use an Express Bus Plus MetroCard), and you'd like to get off in Lower Manhattan, just so there's no argument at the end.

They're supposed to. I don't know why your bus didn't (because I have caught X17Cs on the weekdays coming back from Manhattan, plenty of times) Unless all the seats were taken and the B/O didn't want to to have any standees or something.

As for getting off in Lower Manhattan, well, you're not supposed to do it (even though he claims there's this big exemption policy for NYCT routes. :rolleyes: ), but it all depends on the driver. I've actually heard some drivers announce Battery Place (though they didn't announce every other stop), so those particular drivers probably would've let somebody off if they wanted to be let off. I mean, with Battery Place, the thing is that you have other routes that stop there (you have the routes that came from Water Street, and the routes that come down Broadway), so it might technically be considered a transfer point (I think going northbound on Greenwich Street, the sign over there says something like "NYCT Express Bus Transfer Point" or something like that, so the same rule might apply southbound. But I'd ask the driver, and just tell them that you'll pay the full $5.50 fare (or use an Express Bus Plus MetroCard), and you'd like to get off in Lower Manhattan, just so there's no argument at the end.

Wait a minute, I think I'm starting to get it.

On the timetable, all X17C runs to Midtown on weekdays skip Broadway & Worth Street, I guess it shows up like that because the X17Cs aren't short turns like the A and X19 and don't stop at that exact stop. So if I'm getting this right, the X17Cs will make requested stops in Lower Manhattan going up Church just like they do on weekends (I've only been on it weekends and was able to get off on Church Street every time with no issues). The map doesn't show the buses going up the West Side Highway/FDR at any time and shows the X17C only going up Church and making all regular stops on Church, that's what was really confusing me the whole time.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I've seen front ads on some of JG's C40s for a few months now.

Well like MHV said, those are the 300s/400s since the license plate is all the way up on the stripe, the 200s were a hassle since the license plate is in the way

So far only 237 and 245 have it, I'll see if I can snag a picture when I get off the bus

I'm a bit confused here.

Weekday X17Cs from SI to Manhattan seem to not stop in Lower Manhattan at all, even when the X17A/X19 don't run. Why would that be, and would a B/O make a quick stop downtown if I asked him/her like VG8 claims they do on the BM3?

X17Cs do stop in Lower Manhattan, I've seen em and been on them that stop in the Battery Park & WTC Area.

Wait a minute, I think I'm starting to get it.

On the timetable, all X17C runs to Midtown on weekdays skip Broadway & Worth Street, I guess it shows up like that because the X17Cs aren't short turns like the A and X19 and don't stop at that exact stop. So if I'm getting this right, the X17Cs will make requested stops in Lower Manhattan going up Church just like they do on weekends (I've only been on it weekends and was able to get off on Church Street every time with no issues). The map doesn't show the buses going up the West Side Highway/FDR at any time and shows the X17C only going up Church and making all regular stops on Church, that's what was really confusing me the whole time.

Yup. You got it. AFAIK, the X17A makes a right on Worth Street, and then makes the last stop on Worth, at Broadway. I say AFAIK, because some schedules show (or used to show) those Worth Street buses as having the last stop at Church & Worth, rather than Worth & Broadway (doesn't really make much of a difference service-wise because it's a block away, but anyway).

But in any case, all X17Cs make stops in Lower Manhattan, in both directions, regardless of the time of day (unless of course, it's rush hour and the X17A is running)

What's with you and these pull cords?! LOL. I haven't seen anyone talk about pull cords like this!!

it looks terrible...and at night time its embarrassing...i took a S.I orion V and the pull cord was all hanging from the front....nasty...

then those XD40s.....seeing the pull cord hanging 3 feet...and tied to a window seal...thats ghetto...

LOL He likes pulling things...

lol, 'poor choice of words', If you get the drift...

It would appear as if XxLiLGiJoE17xX loves to fondle on the bus, eh. :D

Se parese como XxLiLGiJoE17xX le encanta jalar en el autobus, eh. :lol:

(The last one is much more implying).

:lol::lol::lol:You guys are too much! Any other thoughts....? Edited by NovaCSW8030

I'm a bit confused here.

Weekday X17Cs from SI to Manhattan seem to not stop in Lower Manhattan at all, even when the X17A/X19 don't run.

Why would that be, and would a B/O make a quick stop downtown if I asked him/her like VG8 claims they do on the BM3?

I've actually been on an x19 where a passenger asked the b/o to stop off at ETC (if it would've did that that day, I'd have gotten off too !).... Of course the b/o said No to the guy..... What happened was that there was a 17a that had just pulled out of the stop before the 19 arrived (meaning, he missed his 17, so he tried to get the 19 to stop at ETC instead)....

But as far as 17c's not stopping in lwr. manhattan (which you've apparently already figured out), that's not the case at all...

The idea is that the a's serve lwr. manhattan during peak times, j's serve midtown manhattan during peak times, and c's serve both lower & midtown manhattan all other times.....

That would be some ride if 17c's went straight to midtown from lamberts lane via brooklyn....

Delays Posted: 12/10/2012 12:52PM

M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M7, M11, M20, M34A, M42, M50, M101, M102, M103, M104 and Q32 buses are delayed in both directions due to a protest on 42 St.

Please allow extra time for travel.

what protest are they talking about?

If they had to close a whole street it could be the Occupy idiots.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

If they had to close a whole street it could be the Occupy idiots.

Those Occupy Wall Street morons have now taken over the once quaint plaza where the Trump Hotel is at there near Columbus Circle. They're really nothing but bums claiming to be part of the Occupy Wall Street movement and now they camp out there every night. Utterly disgusting... I won't even sit near there anymore. I see the cops there now but they're totally useless as they continue to sleep there. When I last passed by there the other night they had the area sectioned off claiming that repairs were needed. Not sure how true that is though...

You mean if there were such a gross overreaction to a peaceful protest it'd have to be the NYPD?

Peaceful protest? Gimme a effing break, the majority of their "protests" turn into riots, yeah a lot of it is the cops' fault but still. Most of these guys are dumb liberal hipsters who have no idea what the hell they're really "protesting" but just go there to be "in the action", "supporting the cause" or whatever, FFS the majority of them supported Obama the Wall Street puppet who BAILS OUT all the big banks they hate so much (this is on record) instead of someone like Ron Paul who shares a lot of their ideas.

Sorry about the political rant, let's not derail the thread...

Peaceful protest? Gimme a effing break, the majority of their "protests" turn into riots, yeah a lot of it is the cops' fault but still. Most of these guys are dumb liberal hipsters who have no idea what the hell they're really "protesting" but just go there to be "in the action", "supporting the cause" or whatever, FFS the majority of them supported Obama the Wall Street puppet who BAILS OUT all the big banks they hate so much (this is on record) instead of someone like Ron Paul who shares a lot of their ideas.

How does one derail a thread about random thoughts? :P

On another note, with this reroute going on, its gonna be hell in the city. Glad I'm not going down today.

Edited by Cait Sith

First of all, I dare you to name a purely OWS protest that ever turned violent or destructive on their own accord -- violence at those protest came from Ray Kelly's white-shirted brownshirts... Secondly, the vast majority of the protesters were a lot more intelligent that you'd think (certainly more so than the racist idiots at Tea Party rallies), and the fact that many of them were young doesn't make them hipster. There was actually an alarmingly large amount of support for Ron Paul from OWS amongst the most disenchanted protestors, but at the end of the day everybody had to take the adult perspective and understand that casting a vote for a racist and an anti-semite who wants to the end the Federal Reserve and just about every other important federal institution just wasn't the best idea (this coming from somebody who vastly preferred Paul to the Republican field).

How does one derail a thread about random thoughts? :P

On another note, with this reroute going on, its gonna be hell in the city. Glad I'm not going down today.

There was no extra traffic coming down 5th this afternoon, seems like much ado about nothing. 6 train in the morning though, now that was a clusterf*ck...

First of all, I dare you to name a purely OWS protest that ever turned violent or destructive on their own accord -- violence at those protest came from Ray Kelly's white-shirted brownshirts... Secondly, the vast majority of the protesters were a lot more intelligent that you'd think (certainly more so than the racist idiots at Tea Party rallies), and the fact that many of them were young doesn't make them hipster. There was actually an alarmingly large amount of support for Ron Paul from OWS amongst the most disenchanted protestors, but at the end of the day everybody had to take the adult perspective and understand that casting a vote for a racist and an anti-semite who wants to the end the Federal Reserve and just about every other important federal institution just wasn't the best idea (this coming from somebody who vastly preferred Paul to the Republican field).

There was no extra traffic coming down 5th this afternoon, seems like much ado about nothing. 6 train in the morning though, now that was a clusterf*ck...

Yes, the conservative is always racist right? That BS has got to stop already.

And as far as ending the Fed, that needs to be done. The fed is an out of control financial institution that steals from the taxpayers ($16 trillion has been missing and the Fed won't tell Congress where it went) and it's as federal as FedEx.

I'm sorry guys, I had to respond to this kid.

Yes, the conservative is always racist right? That BS has got to stop already.

And as far as ending the Fed, that needs to be done. The fed is an out of control financial institution that steals from the taxpayers ($16 trillion has been missing and the Fed won't tell Congress where it went) and it's as federal as FedEx.

I'm sorry guys, I had to respond to this kid.

No, it's math. Example: 77% of Tea Partiers have been found to agree that blacks would do better in society "if only they worked harder." Not to mention the tons of racist shirts, signs, and banners at Tea Party rallies which simply aren't there at Occupy. There is more racism on the far right than the far left -- it's just math.

No, it's not. It's flawed, but we're not just gonna abolish it cause we don't like it.

Watch who you call a 'kid.'

Edited by MHV9218

First of all... Second of all... Third of all... And aside from that... (I couldn't dare leave that comment in bold out). You sound a lot like someone else I know who is far more annoying. :lol:

In any event, those bums camping out there by the Trump Hotel are just obnoxious SOBS that have nothing else better to do with themselves but ruin the entire plaza. They've even spread out near the bus shelter there at the corner... <_<