BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at bus.nycsubway.org:

Dafuq is this?

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?394

(Image)

That (960) was a demo bus from Renault the MTA was trying out... They also had another Renault demo... That was number 961...  Another demo bus they tried was a Hino bus (A Japanese Manufacturer)... Number 951...

Used the overnight X1 service tonight... It was pretty damn good and the Prevost to the city while lacking leg room was decent... The bus had over 10 (roughly 13 people) folks on it which was pretty damn good considering the time and how crappy the weather was (damp, windy and cold <_<).  I think this is really a good thing for Staten Island in many ways and not just for Staten Islanders.  It finally makes the borough more accessible.

There should be NO reason why Q44's are bunching in flushing @ 3:30 in the morning....

I'm waiting for a bronx bound Q44 over on 38th, and across the street, 2 jamaica bound buses are running right behind one another...

The 3:30 bronx bound bus that was supposed to come, came at 5 after 4 (4:05)....

Once I saw those bunched buses, I knew I was gonna be standing waiting for a bronx bus for a while.... this was after nice quick rides on the B62 & the Q66 (both rode em full) too.... Thought about taking the (7), but by time I came off the B62, shit had just pulled out the station....

Lol @ more people hailing for taxicab's at West farms (2) than waiting for buses.... While waiting for the 36 or 40 (the 40 came first), some argument broke out between like 20-30 hoodrat chicks I'm guessing came from some party in the area... The purpose of the police car directing them to the subway, I didn't quite get though (I noticed the crowd coming towards the subway from the west).... Worse, There was DANCEHALL music coming from the police car too... I'm standing by the bus stop like what in the fk..... The police car eventually drove away after 5 mins., but them chicks were still arguing well after the fact..... No shots fired, no fists flew, no titties popped out, everyone just went their way up the steps.... That whole time, I didn't see one Bx36...

Edited by B35 via Church

I thought bus time just tracks the buses for the riders? I don't think it can force the b/Os to keep the buses more evenly spaced, or does it?

Yes and no... I notice some B/Os have become much more vigilant if you will about sticking to the schedule and now they will wait at a stop to ensure they aren't leaving early.  Before without Bus Time, it was the passenger's word against the B/O's word.  Now however, they can check to see where the bus was at "X" time if a customer says for example that the bus was at "X" spot at "X" time.  They can even check if someone says that they couldn't track a bus and investigate as to what the problem was, so now there is evidence that can be looked at so long as Bus Time is up and running or they can backtrack, which they obviously couldn't do before.  Actually at the beginning, when Bus Time first started up, they were actually holding buses to ensure proper spacing but they did away with that for whatever reason.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yes and no... I notice some B/Os have become much more vigilant if you will about sticking to the schedule and now they will wait at a stop to ensure they aren't leaving early.  Before without Bus Time, it was the passenger's word against the B/O's word.  Now however, they can check to see where the bus was at "X" time if a customer says for example that the bus was at "X" spot at "X" time.  They can even check if someone says that they couldn't track a bus and investigate as to what the problem was, so now there is evidence that can be looked at so long as Bus Time is up and running or they can backtrack, which they obviously couldn't do before.  Actually at the beginning, when Bus Time first started up, they were actually holding buses to ensure proper spacing but they did away with that for whatever reason.

Except (as much as you like to defend the hippies running the show) Bustime barely ever works right...

Except (as much as you like to defend the hippies running the show) Bustime barely ever works right...

Hippies? Have you SEEN the MTA Board? 

But more importantly, which BusTime are you using? Always worked perfectly fine for me, and it gets better all the time...

--

6380 freshly overhauled and in the new scheme. 6504 as well, but I think that got reported.

Edited by MHV9218

Hippies? Have you SEEN the MTA Board?

But more importantly, which BusTime are you using? Always worked perfectly fine for me, and it gets better all the time...

--

6380 freshly overhauled and in the new scheme. 6502 as well, but I think that got reported.

What you don't seem to know is that the Bustime software is developed by hippies at this nonprofit that works with open source software, I forget what it's called. It's not an in-house MTA development, it was just developed exclusively for the MTA.

I think Bustime is a fine example of what happens when you trust something like this to hippies and cheap software instead of the transit technology professionals that develop technology that's used in 1 in 3 transit buses in North America. Buses constantly don't show up, have wrong locations, the list goes on...

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

What you don't seem to know is that the Bustime software is developed by hippies at this nonprofit that works with open source software, I forget what it's called. It's not an in-house MTA development, it was just developed exclusively for the MTA.

I think Bustime is a fine example of what happens when you trust something like this to hippies and cheap software instead of the transit technology professionals that develop technology that's used in 1 in 3 transit buses in North America.

You got the money and the skills to pay for said technology?

And I don't know about you, but when I used BusTime in S.I and The Bronx, it's been pretty on-point for me....

Edited by Cait Sith

I think Bustime is a fine example of what happens when you trust something like this to hippies and cheap software instead of the transit technology professionals that develop technology that's used in 1 in 3 transit buses in North America. Buses constantly don't show up, have wrong locations, the list goes on...

What are you, Richard Nixon forty years ago? We don't have hippies. Just cause some guys are better with a computer than you are doesn't make them hippies. The system works fine, and no, the MTA does not "have the money" to blow.

What are you, Richard Nixon forty years ago? We don't have hippies. Just cause some guys are better with a computer than you are doesn't make them hippies. The system works fine, and no, the MTA does not "have the money" to blow.

Have you ever seen those guys? I laugh my ass off whenever the MTA puts a video up with them in it, if they're not hippies they're some serious nerds. IDC if they're hippies/nerds/whatever, but these guys know nothing about transit technology and work for a general open source consulting firm that found the open source bus tracking software (called NextBus or something like that) then hired Verifone to supply the equipment and install it into the buses. Whereas Clever Devices are transit technology EXPERTS with a proven track record of providing reliable AVL systems to transit agencies across North America. This is yet another example of the MTA being cheap, throwing money away on worthless garbage when it can be spent on much better, more useful things. If they wanted the Clever Devices system, which BTW is already installed on every new bus, it is the maintenance diagnostics system (I believe it also controls the random announcements and "please exit through the rear door") and it can be easily configured to include a BusTime-like system, automated announcements, and a bunch of other things, they could buy it.

(MTA) =Money Thrown Away, that's all.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life