BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

How do the Artics handle super steep inclines like going up Utica to Mt. Everest Eastern Parkway? I wonder as I've managed to never have been on an articulated bus outside of the M15 SBS downtown and the M23.

Slowly, lol. Take the M101 down Lex ave around 106th and you get one of the steepest incline that city buses go up, just have to mash the gas and be ready to take the hill at a low speed.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly, lol. Take the M101 down Lex ave around 106th and you get one of the steepest incline that city buses go up, just have to mash the gas and be ready to take the hill at a low speed.

lol... I hate having to go up that bloody hill in the mornings on the BxM1, esp. if we're stuck in traffic... All I can think of is us going backwards or something somehow falling from the overheard racks and hitting someone in the head.  We usually are lucky enough not to go that way though, but if there isn't traffic, those MCIs go up that hill with no problem.  Years ago when I would go to work with my uncle here and there on weekends, he was doing the M102 I believe to Harlem and then came back down as an M101 or something and this was before 100th street had those artics... It was so funny.... The bus was packed on this particular run when we reached that steep hill so people had to get off and walk up the hill and then get back on... It was a worthless RTS that's why it couldn't deal with the hills... :lol:  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

CTA, CDTA... Still no New York... I just don't understand you constantly complaining about Bus Time and acting as if Clever Devices is the be all end all.  I don't care what format it runs on and the average passenger doesn't either.  I just care that I know where the bus is so that I'm not sitting around waiting for a bus that has come already, which is a HUGE relief as far as I'm concerned. The (MTA) tried Clever Devices, and wasted millions on other tracking devices in vain and it didn't work out so what are they supposed to do, keep hammering out a system and wasting more and more money just because it uses Clever Devices when they can have another system that is MUCH CHEAPER and more accurate for them?  Sure Bus Time isn't perfect, but it beats nothing at all and having Clever Device tell me my bus is 5 minutes away when it's really 20 minutes away just gives passengers false information and false hopes since many will wait around for 5 minutes as opposed to just giving up and walking or using the subway or a taxi.

Now I would rather the (MTA) do things this way where it costs them less and let the program become popular first and then add Bus Time to bus shelters which is what some politicians have allocated monies for so that people without cell phones can take advantage of the program as well.  The money they're saving for this can be allocated to improve bus service.

The Clever Device system doesn't need to (and shouldn't) include countdown clocks, and I personally have experienced buses on MTA Bustime having wrong locations or not showing up at all. Yet the Clever Devices have never given me a wrong location or a no-show at NJT, and they just installed the damn things. You like MTA Bustime, I like Clever Devices, fine. Whatever stupid crap the MTA does with their money is their problem...

Anyway 9892 is on the Q103 according to my friend, just like the good old days of Queens Surface.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The Clever Device system doesn't need to (and shouldn't) include countdown clocks, and I personally have experienced buses on MTA Bustime having wrong locations or not showing up at all. Yet the Clever Devices have never given me a wrong location or a no-show at NJT, and they just installed the damn things. You like MTA Bustime, I like Clever Devices, fine. Whatever stupid crap the MTA does with their money is their problem...

And you don't think this happens on the Clever Device system? There are many reasons why those things happen... B/Os going off of the route, equipment not being installed on buses, B/Os hitting the wrong button or putting in the info the wrong way and so on.  The system itself is fairly accurate.  I've been using it since it started on Staten Island and have been in contact with the Bus Time team about the kinks and they have pretty much ironed them out, so at the end of the day, like I said, regardless of the system, what I care about is that I know where the bus is, whether it's Clever Device, Bus Time, Joe Schmoe Time, or whatever the heck they call the program.

Oh, that's what I thought, but didn't want to assume the worst.

Can't MTA just have the bus driver say "hell with this, this bus is out of service until the mofos who didn't pay get over here and pay."

Probably not, but they should be able to. I don't mean to punish the rest, but at some point there has to be a way to show fare-beaters that if they don't pay they don't go anywhere.

That bald guy by the back looks like he might be wearing an MTA jacket, so who knows? Maybe he's letting them go in.

I mean, look, if you have to get on, you have to get on. It looks like it's at the 74th Street terminal, so a lot of them might have transfers from the subway anyway.

They finally put a bench at the westbound Q12/N20/N21 bus stop at Northern Blvd & Douglaston Pkwy. I don't think its an (MTA) or a DOT bench though, because it looks different. There's still no bus shelter either.

look on the side,does it say "City Bench"?One of those is at the Cobble Hill-bound B63 stop at Prospect and 5 Avenues

How do MTA bus drivers deal with bad car drivers?

After watching this, I wanted to know. (

)

I would obviously assume MTA drivers don't do this because it would probably immediately hit the news and what not.

Am I for the bus driver in this case?  Hell yeah, I hate scum bags who cut people off like that.  Then again there were many times where buses do the same thing.

)

I would obviously assume MTA drivers don't do this because it would probably immediately hit the news and what not.

Am I for the bus driver in this case?  Hell yeah, I hate scum bags who cut people off like that.  Then again there were many times where buses do the same thing.

I feel like these people did this shyt on purpose! 

And then guys jumping out of cars like "WTF, you hit me!" 

Yo...if I was a bus driver I would loose it! Ohh we would be arguing and if he hit me its going all down hill from here...

And tell me one thing...Why were these people hitting there brakes after they cut the bus driver off??

Well, the bus wasn't letting them cut in, thus having the driver cut them off and brake check them.  A common thing on the highways really and very annoying if done to you. (Could get serious, too)

I forgot which video had the length description, but I feel as it were true.  Better to keep moving rather swerving into another lane potentially getting into a bigger accident where the "cutter" could just flee the scene.

)

Nothing more than just people looking for a reason to screw up anybody's day.....

Edited by Metro CSW

After watching this, I wanted to know. (video omitted)

I commend the operator in the video. These douchbags out on the road think their above everyone else, transit buses included. The thing is many don't do a thing about it. If someone does this, at least slam the horn or something. Try to deter them at least.

I commend the operator in the video. These douchbags out on the road think their above everyone else, transit buses included. The thing is many don't do a thing about it. If someone does this, at least slam the horn or something. Try to deter them at least.

lol... We had some douchebag cut in front of our BxM1 bus the other night when I was coming to the city over on Lex.  The B/O hunked like crazy and hurled a few curses... It was pretty funny actually

also i noticed that the 3rd ave and Lexington ave lines are VERY crowded and that the m101 is basically getting strangled to capacity and is that why they cut the M98 to rush hours only?  thoughts opinions?

lol... What strangled?? It's called bunching like crazy... If you take that line regularly, you'll see 4 or 5 buses come at a time which is insane considering that they're all artics...  What's worse is they even bunch at night when there isn't as much traffic. I can see them bunching on Lex because it's narrower but 3rd is wider once it becomes a one way street and at night after the rush you can still see 4 or 5 buses up on the Upper East Side running together.  It's incredible... I usually see this while waiting for the BxM1 back to Riverdale and I have to shake my head.

lol... What strangled?? It's called bunching like crazy... If you take that line regularly, you'll see 4 or 5 buses come at a time which is insane considering that they're all artics...  What's worse is they even bunch at night when there isn't as much traffic. I can see them bunching on Lex because it's narrower but 3rd is wider once it becomes a one way street and at night after the rush you can still see 4 or 5 buses up on the Upper East Side running together.  It's incredible... I usually see this while waiting for the BxM1 back to Riverdale and I have to shake my head.

what i meant is that capicity is so strangled where buses are crowded for ages and people usually get fed up and either go down to either the subway or do something else