BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of the 9600s (or any bus built from 1997 onwards) have air starters

Well, I thought that too, but I was looking at the safety thing Harry put up and you've got this quote in the section about which buses need to be cold weather firewatched during winter. 

Bus Models with Electric Starters 

Nova buses since 1998

Excluding 9690-9699,

equipped with air starter

MCI buses: all model years 

Orion buses since 1999 

New Flyer buses since 1999 

CNG powered buses 

Orion & New Flyer 

Orion Hybrid buses 

Edited by MHV9218

Do 9690-9699 still have air starters equipped?

I would be surprised if they did. I thought that the only buses left that weren't converted from air starters were the 1996 RTS's (87xx - 92xx)

Well, I thought that too, but I was looking at the safety thing Harry put up and you've got this quote in the section about which buses need to be cold weather firewatched during winter.

Bus Models with Electric Starters

Nova buses since 1998

Excluding 9690-9699,

equipped with air starter

MCI buses: all model years

Orion buses since 1999

New Flyer buses since 1999

CNG powered buses

Orion & New Flyer

Orion Hybrid buses

Isn't that thing harry put up from the early 2000's?

I would be surprised if they did. I thought that the only buses left that weren't converted from air starters were the 1996 RTS's (87xx - 92xx)

Isn't that thing harry put up from the early 2000's?

Yeah, from 2008. I was under that impression as well, although I didn't know they converted buses to normal starters...I don't know of any 1996 Vs that got converted, come to think of it.

Yeah, from 2008. I was under that impression as well, although I didn't know they converted buses to normal starters...I don't know of any 1996 Vs that got converted, come to think of it.

I know that all off the original 10xx and 11xx were originally air starter equipped...

What RTS had doors that were black on the top and white on the bottom? I'm looking over some family photos, and in the background is an RTS with that type of door, on 5th Avenue. The number is not really clear, all I know is that it's ###7. Also, the pictures is from 2000.

Edited by GojiMet86

What RTS had doors that were black on the top and white on the bottom? I'm looking over some family photos, and in the background is an RTS with that type of door, on 5th Avenue. The number is not really clear, all I know is that it's ###7. Also, the pictures is from 2000.

When the ZF RTS were at Flatbush...they had that scheme

Also when the 52xx series RTS were at ENY

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I feel like Fresh Pond should have XD40s instead of Next Gens. They're better buses & it'll give fresh pond a better image and kill it's rep for always having "Old & beat up buses".

But that would mean giving them XD40s from another depot since they stopped making them. That's how they got their Next Gens , so idk guess they gotta wait until another new bus comes out. Regardless Fresh Pond should get the next model of buses because they ain't get nothing new since 2005.

Edited by E For Erica

For now, Fresh Pond is doing well with what they have.

No they aren't...those next Gens are in worse condition than half the older buses they replaced. There was one bus (forgot the number, i think it was 4000) that was going around at one point with the side destination sign completely gone.

Which has been nothing but hand me downs...

The last things they got brand new was that 100+ order of hybrids back in 2005, only to get half of them taken away when Grand Av first opened and replaced with more older buses. Before that was in 1999 for 30 RTSs (5055-5074).

Lets face it, Fresh Pond is like the stepchild of Brooklyn lol