BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that route is much better now at JG than it was at Ulmer Park.

It's slightly better.  Ulmer Park used to just pull buses from the B4 and put them elsewhere and buses showed up whenever, which means you could wait 40+ minutes and have one bus show up or if you're lucky two of them together, which was a rarity.  What happens with Jackie Gleason is operators will start up at random places along the route, bypassing certain stops forcing folks to wait another 20+ minutes for the next bus.  It's almost the same thing.  It's slightly better because it seems as if Jackie Gleason doesn't pull buses from the route, and only some people are bypassed, but if you're at one of the bypassed stops, you obviously won't be pleased. They seem to bypass stops towards the ends of both routes, as I have been bypassed in Bay Ridge, and was almost bypassed in Sheepshead Bay.  I just happen to be lucky enough to have walked up to another stop, otherwise I would've missed the bus, as the guy started up at a random stop that is not an official shortturn. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well, yesterday I moseyed on over to Bay Plaza to run some errands. Took the Bx28 from Valentine and 192. (Should have took the (D) to 205 for a Co-Op bus but it is what it is)...Coming from there, the Q50 was late. 5 Bx23's came before a 50 showed up...the only sliver lining was my first RTS ride on the 50 in 3 years. 5179 BTW. Didn't really get any good speed on 95, but it hauled ass on the Whitestone despite being SRO.

RTS's have the speed that a hybrid could never dream to have.

People always point fingers at the B4 for being unreliable. I've heard the M5 and crosstown routes like the M34 and M42 are pretty slow.

I've heard that route is much better now at JG than it was at Ulmer Park.

The B4 having moved to JG didn't make the line reliable.... All JG did was make the line more reliable than it was, when it ran out of UP - Which is not saying much....

The Q60 is like night and day, one day it'll be running on point and then the next day, it's a complete disaster. Out of the 6/8/9/41, the 9 is the best. If my 41 is missing, I'll take the 9 and get off at Liberty. The 8 gets a close 2nd because they tend to run buses much more closer to schedule, one ending at Spring Creek and the other ending at ENY. I haven't been on the 6 that often to say anything but I see a lot of 6s especially after 8pm.

I agree with the Q24, ever since they made that extension, service has gotten worse. I've seen at most 4 buses running back to back. I've always said that it was fine at Broadway Junction because service was much better than it is now. On Saturdays, they got short turns to Broadway Junction, I'm amazed that they don't have that on the weekdays unless a bus is super late smh.

The Q25/34/65 has its issues but not that big. When Parsons gets slammed with traffic, that's when issues arise, but other than that, they're pretty reliable.

Within that area of Jamaica, I'm not sure what other routes could be just as bad, or worse than the Q24 and Q41.

Yeah, now that construction is going on at & around Broadway Junction, shit is all f***ed up with the B20 & the Q24...

Although usage believe it or not is picking up along Broadway on the Q24 (doesn't carry air like it used to), I still believe that (all) Q24's should end right at Broadway Junction - the line is just too damn slow along Atlantic, to then have it running along Broadway b/w the [b38] & [broadway Junction itself]....

Anyway, Out of the Q6/8/9/41, I'd give the nod to the Q9 slightly over the Q6.... Of course, the Q6 has the frequency, but the Q9 I'd argue almost always runs like clockwork.... The Q41 is far inferior to the Q8; My issue with the Q8 is that I can never seem to catch the Spring Creek buses; always some long ass wait for them - but in the meanwhile, I get subjected to a (and sometimes 2) Euclid av short turn(s) before one of the Gateway bound buses arrives.....

I don't know where to begin with the woes that plague the Q41.... Maybe much ado about nothing, but what I find a bit funny is, they got the line the closest to GTFO of 165th - Too bad it takes forever to get there!

So yeah, in terms of reliability, the Q9 > Q6 >>>> Q8 >>>>>>>>>>>>2 Q41

(yes, that's squared... lol)

Question for all of you: How do you bus fanners get to know the bus drivers well, and get very friendly with them?

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know....

Question for all of you: How do you bus fanners get to know the bus drivers well, and get very friendly with them?

from what i've seen most just start talking them thinking they can piggy back on them as a source, there is this driver i always used to see the bus fanners post about "vinny" now that the o5 cng's are gone he's pretty much nothing

I mean I see a lot of videos where the bus fanners are talking with the operators a lot and asking them a lot of questions. I always wondered how they got to know each other.

In my case I'm actually not that friendly with B/Os.  I just pay my fare, sit down, put my earbuds on and sleep, and that's about it.  It's usually the B/Os that approach me.   From what I've been told by some B/Os, guys that do the Riverdale trips try not to say much because they don't want any hassles.  There is this belief that the Riverdale riders can be obnoxious and file a lot of complaints, so some guys won't say anything, and thus will come off as being rude and nasty. Then you have some guys that can be rather stuck up, especially if they're looking for skirts, so for that reason, I don't say much aside from thanks if I don't know the guy.  

I'm one of the only guys that rides that is quite young and a regular, which is not common on the express bus, and I have a tendency to get a lot of the same guys out of Yonkers (small depot) since I use just about all of the routes.  Sometimes the bus is empty and they will start small talk with me.  If they do, I may sit up front and keep them company.  For all of a-holes out of Yonkers, there are some very cool ones.  There are several Latino guys (an old timer, a middle aged guy, and a few young guys) that I'm very cool with, and recently, there's a Jamaican guy who I chat with from time to time.  We didn't start out being cool with each other, as he had a chip on his shoulder and made a snide remark which I read him on, but since then, when he sees me, he makes sure to stop the bus, kneel if necessary and is really cool.  He's actually younger than me by a few years, as are a few guys out of the depot.  I find the female B/Os out of Yonkers to be the most standoffish.  There's one that I've taken over the years that I chat with here and there that is very nice, but she can be really absent minded and has almost bypassed me and several other passengers numerous times.  I don't think it's intentional... Just old age. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

from what i've seen most just start talking them thinking they can piggy back on them as a source, there is this driver i always used to see the bus fanners post about "vinny" now that the o5 cng's are gone he's pretty much nothing

Which is a damn shame. I never hung out with him just because of the amount of people that did for that CNG.

There's one that I've taken over the years that I chat with here and there that is very nice, but she can be really absent minded and has almost bypassed me and several other passengers numerous times.  I don't think it's intentional... Just old age. lol

How old would you say that B/O is, and what does she look like?

Only 3 Bee Line Orion 5s remain @ MTA Bus

I have to catch one of them before they retire completely. Those were my all time favorite buses I've ever ridden, since they were at Bee-Line

How old would you say that B/O is, and what does she look like?

He's 29 or 30... I forget which, but in terms of looks, he wears a low haircut, no hat or glasses, and if you talk to him for a while, his Jamaican accent is quite noticeable.  There are actually a few Jamaicans out of Yonkers, but he is less obvious if you will.  The others seem to wear typical Jamaican attire (on their head that is).  Not sure what those things are called, but a few of those guys wear them.  I guess they are Rastafarians?

He's 29 or 30... I forget which, but in terms of looks, he wears a low haircut, no hat or glasses, and if you talk to him for a while, his Jamaican accent is quite noticeable.  There are actually a few Jamaicans out of Yonkers, but he is less obvious if you will.  The others seem to wear typical Jamaican attire (on their head that is).  Not sure what those things are called, but a few of those guys wear them.  I guess they are Rastafarians?

I was talking about the female B/O out of Yonkers that you said sometimes nearly bypasses you.

I was talking about the female B/O out of Yonkers that you said sometimes nearly bypasses you.

Oh... lol... Dark skinned middle aged black lady.  She always says "...And please... Make sure you are taking ALL of your personal belongings..." Then she goes on to list everything you should take with you.  LMAO... 

Oh... lol... Dark skinned middle aged black lady.  She always says "...And please... Make sure you are taking ALL of your personal belongings..." Then she goes on to list everything you should take with you.  LMAO... 

Just wondering, because I remember once, out of YON (i think on the BxM1) I got a middle aged blonde fair skinned female B/O who was the fastest driver I have ever seen.

LOL! I think I had her on the Q64.

"Kissena Blvd next. Please make sure you take your handbags, bookbags, and shopping bags. Have a wonderful day."

Edited by MTA Dude

Just wondering, because I remember once, out of YON (i think on the BxM1) I got a middle aged blonde fair skinned female B/O who was the fastest driver I have ever seen.

The females don't seem to stick around.  They come and go, transfer, come back, etc.

LOL! I think I had her on the Q64.

"Kissena Blvd next. Please make sure you take your handbags, bookbags, and shopping bags. Have a wonderful day."

It's possible.  It seems like they move (MTA) Bus B/Os from Yonkers to CP from time to time.

So there are 2 BM1s back to back before

I wouldn't be surprised, traffic today was unusually horrible (it was the highways delaying everyone today). I took the QM15 inbound today and the BM5 outbound instead of the usual, since the QM15 was behind schedule.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Two interesting things happened over the weekend... On my way to the Morris Park area via the BxM10, we passed The West Farms Depot, and there was a (MTA) express bus Prevost parked there.  What would a Prevost be doing over there?

Second event was that the first BxM10 I was on got into an accident as we were approaching the RFK Bridge right by 125th and 2nd.  I think a car rear ended us.  I didn't feel anything, but I saw pieces of something flying in the street.  The B/O stopped the bus right in the middle of the street which was ridiculous.  It's insane that he's "following protocol" as he was blocking both 125th street and 2nd Avenue at the same time. He didn't move until he was told to.  Would've been easier for him to just park off to the side to begin with.  I was expecting a wait of an hour for the next bus, but a relief bus came and picked us up, which was nice.