BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

If the BXM7 does run 24/7 it should make BXM7 stop when the BXM8 isn't running, (not making an opinion on the BXM9) but it would be in proximity of the BxM9 route as well.

Disagree.  The BxM8 serves some areas that really benefit from having it, so I would extend the hours of the BxM8 as well.  Note that it already runs until 00:00 to Manhattan during the week and I understand why.  I used the BxM8 for several months tutoring a student and it was MUCH easier with it commuting.  

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree.  The BxM8 serves some areas that really benefit from having it, so I would extend the hours of the BxM8 as well.  Note that it already runs until 00:00 to Manhattan during the week and I understand why.  I used the BxM8 for several months tutoring a student and it was MUCH easier with it commuting.  

While there may be people who would utilize the express bus during overnight hours, I doubt that many would use the buses individually. The Bronx does use its express buses for the most part, but it is no Staten Island (which only has the X1 at the moment). Therefore, it might actually be a good idea to do a BxM7/BxM8 combo during overnight hours, so that you have BxM7, BxM8, and maybe even some BxM9 riders using that bus. It would make all BxM7 stops, then stop at PBP, and then run down Bruckner Boulevard to Castle Hill Avenue, and then run express to Manhattan. There wouldn't be so much traffic during those hours, so it wouldn't be like such a service would elongate the trip time by much. Here's the essential setup:

Tuesday-Friday

- The current BxM7 departing at 12:30 AM from Co-Op City would be an all stops bus

- The current 6:00 AM bus to Co-Op City on the BxM7 would be a BxM7/BxM8 combo bus

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart Co-Op City at 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart 23 Street at 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM

Saturday

- The current BxM7 departing at 12:30 AM, 5:00 AM from Co-Op City would be an all stops bus

- The current 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM BxM7 buses from 23 Street would be an ALL STOPS bus

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart Co-Op City at 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM, 5:00 AM, 5:30 AM

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart 23 Street at 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM

Sunday

- The 12:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM BxM7 buses from Co-Op City would be an ALL STOPS bus 

- The current 1:30 AM BxM7 bus from 23 Street is an ALL STOPS bus 

- Buses depart 23 Street at 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM, 5:30 AM, 6:30 AM, 7:30 AM, 8:30 AM

- Buses depart Co-Op City at 12:00 AM, 1:00 AM, 2:00 AM, 3:00 AM, 4:00 AM, 5:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM, 11:00 PM

Monday

- The current 12:10 AM from 23 Street would be an ALL STOPS bus 

- ALL STOPS from 23 Street: 12:10 AM, 1:10 AM, 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM

- ALL STOPS from Co-Op City: 11:40 PM (Sunday), 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM 

This way, you maximize the amount of people per one bus per hour on the combo, without inconveniencing so many people, including those of the former BxM7 trips which would no make all BxM7/BxM8 stops (well, almost all).

If you extend the BXM8 hours and made the BXM7 24/7 W/O making BXM8 stops you essentially give the BXM8 riders less service and overall create higher operating cost.

If you extend the BXM8 hours and made the BXM7 24/7 W/O making BXM8 stops you essentially give the BXM8 riders less service and overall create higher operating cost.

While there may be people who would utilize the express bus during overnight hours, I doubt that many would use the buses individually. The Bronx does use its express buses for the most part, but it is no Staten Island (which only has the X1 at the moment). Therefore, it might actually be a good idea to do a BxM7/BxM8 combo during overnight hours, so that you have BxM7, BxM8, and maybe even some BxM9 riders using that bus. It would make all BxM7 stops, then stop at PBP, and then run down Bruckner Boulevard to Castle Hill Avenue, and then run express to Manhattan. There wouldn't be so much traffic during those hours, so it wouldn't be like such a service would elongate the trip time by much. Here's the essential setup:

Tuesday-Friday

- The current BxM7 departing at 12:30 AM from Co-Op City would be an all stops bus

- The current 6:00 AM bus to Co-Op City on the BxM7 would be a BxM7/BxM8 combo bus

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart Co-Op City at 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart 23 Street at 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM

Saturday

- The current BxM7 departing at 12:30 AM, 5:00 AM from Co-Op City would be an all stops bus

- The current 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM BxM7 buses from 23 Street would be an ALL STOPS bus

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart Co-Op City at 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM, 5:00 AM, 5:30 AM

- The ALL STOPS BxM7/BxM8 Combo would depart 23 Street at 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM, 7:10 AM

Sunday

- The 12:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM BxM7 buses from Co-Op City would be an ALL STOPS bus 

- The current 1:30 AM BxM7 bus from 23 Street is an ALL STOPS bus 

- Buses depart 23 Street at 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM, 5:30 AM, 6:30 AM, 7:30 AM, 8:30 AM

- Buses depart Co-Op City at 12:00 AM, 1:00 AM, 2:00 AM, 3:00 AM, 4:00 AM, 5:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM, 11:00 PM

Monday

- The current 12:10 AM from 23 Street would be an ALL STOPS bus 

- ALL STOPS from 23 Street: 12:10 AM, 1:10 AM, 2:10 AM, 3:10 AM, 4:10 AM, 5:10 AM, 6:10 AM

- ALL STOPS from Co-Op City: 11:40 PM (Sunday), 12:30 AM, 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM 

This way, you maximize the amount of people per one bus per hour on the combo, without inconveniencing so many people, including those of the former BxM7 trips which would no make all BxM7/BxM8 stops (well, almost all).

I always wondered why the BxM express buses had so few stops until I started using them and I understand why.  The idea is to have these trips be either an hour or under that where possible.  Let's not forget that the BxM7 has to loop around Co-Op City as it is.  I don't support elongating express bus trips unless absolutely necessary.  The BxM7 service wouldn't require many more buses and would run hourly, and the BxM8 would only see one extra bus.  I would have a 01:00 bus to Manhattan that would then come back as a 02:10 to Pelham Bay. You may also be underestimating how many people from Co-Op City would use the bus.  The Bronx overall is very working class save areas like Country Club, so people work at all hours. Those late trips therefore usually are used quite well with people working overnight, etc.  With the Co-Op City people it would likely be a mix of people going to work as well as people hanging out.

You also can't compare the X1 to the BxM7 or any other BxM express bus. The X1 serves far more neighborhoods so of course it'll see more ridership.  The BxM7 is mainly around for Co-Op City and no other area.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I always wondered why the BxM express buses had so few stops until I started using them and I understand why.  The idea is to have these trips be either an hour or under that where possible.  Let's not forget that the BxM7 has to loop around Co-Op City as it is.  I don't support elongating express bus trips unless absolutely necessary.  The BxM7 service wouldn't require many more buses and would run hourly, and the BxM8 would only see one extra bus.  I would have a 01:00 bus to Manhattan that would then come back as a 02:10 to Pelham Bay. You may also be underestimating how many people from Co-Op City would use the bus.  The Bronx overall is very working class save areas like Country Club, so people work at all hours. Those late trips therefore usually are used quite well with people working overnight, etc.  With the Co-Op City people it would likely be a mix of people going to work as well as people hanging out.

You also can't compare the X1 to the BxM7 or any other BxM express bus. The X1 serves far more neighborhoods so of course it'll see more ridership.  The BxM7 is mainly around for Co-Op City and no other area.

True the BXM7 is 4th or 5th in terms of ridership just behind the the x17 and x27/37 combo. The X1 is the lifeline of late night Staten Island it's almost local on Hyland. The S79 outpaces them B-) . But it's a necessary 24/7 route.

Edited by RailRunRob

However, for a BxM7/8 Combo, 3 buses would be needed, which is the same amount that would needed even if it didn't make all stops. Why bother adding an extra BxM8 from a run or wherever, when those BxM7 can offer the same service.

BTW, just for comparisons sake:

A Weekday BxM7/BxM8 combo would take 13 minutes to go around Co-Op City, and 31 minutes to Castle Hill Avenue (how I came up with this: I took the runtime for the last BxM7 and last BxM8 from their first pickup to their last pickup, then added a few minutes for the runtime between Section 5 and PBP). The runtime given to 23 Street from there would be 38 minutes, which means that the total travel time would be 69 minutes from end to end. The current BxM7 to/from 23 Street during those times comes in at 61 minutes. Yeah, the extra stops adds several minutes, but you're saving much more resources. You would still need 3 buses overnight for the BxM7, because you need to have a certain amount of layover time. If the runtime was 61 Minutes, a cycle would be 3 hours (29 minutes on average on layover at each layover). The extra stops would shorten that to 21 minutes, which is still a lot of time, especially given that it is overnight hours. 

Also, I'm not talking about one specific area when I say that The Bronx is no Staten Island. The Bronx just doesn't use the express buses like Staten Island, and it's noticeable. Also, unless those late night BxM7 trips are going to be SRO, I'm not really underestimating service levels. You could have buses with 20 people or so (just as an example), which is pretty good if it was a late night bus. However, you could fill up more seats if they made stops along the BxM8 route (which could also be use by some riders from Throggs Neck too). Even if you lose 3 riders, if 7 more riders use that bus because of the added stops, the route is even more cost-efficient (and more convenient for all residents in those areas of The Bronx). A lot of those early morning buses to the Bronx and Late night buses to Manhattan do not pickup much of anyone, but they're there because DH and the actual runtime are not that far off from each other, and you might as well run those bus to get more fares. 

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

However, for a BxM7/8 Combo, 3 buses would be needed, which is the same amount that would needed even if it didn't make all stops. Why bother adding an extra BxM8 from a run or wherever, when those BxM7 can offer the same service.

BTW, just for comparisons sake:

A Weekday BxM7/BxM8 combo would take 13 minutes to go around Co-Op City, and 31 minutes to Castle Hill Avenue (how I came up with this: I took the runtime for the last BxM7 and last BxM8 from their first pickup to their last pickup, then added a few minutes for the runtime between Section 5 and PBP). The runtime given to 23 Street from there would be 38 minutes, which means that the total travel time would be 69 minutes from end to end. The current BxM7 to/from 23 Street during those times comes in at 61 minutes. Yeah, the extra stops adds several minutes, but you're saving much more resources. You would still need 3 buses overnight for the BxM7, because you need to have a certain amount of layover time. If the runtime was 61 Minutes, a cycle would be 3 hours (29 minutes on average on layover at each layover). The extra stops would shorten that to 21 minutes, which is still a lot of time, especially given that it is overnight hours. 

Also, I'm not talking about one specific area when I say that The Bronx is no Staten Island. The Bronx just doesn't use the express buses like Staten Island, and it's noticeable. Also, unless those late night BxM7 trips are going to be SRO, I'm not really underestimating service levels. You could have buses with 20 people or so (just as an example), which is pretty good if it was a late night bus. However, you could fill up more seats if they made stops along the BxM8 route (which could also be use by some riders from Throggs Neck too). Even if you lose 3 riders, if 7 more riders use that bus because of the added stops, the route is even more cost-efficient (and more convenient for all residents in those areas of The Bronx). A lot of those early morning buses to the Bronx and Late night buses to Manhattan do not pickup much of anyone, but they're there because DH and the actual runtime are not that far off from each other, and you might as well run those bus to get more fares.

Let's face it. The subway also sucks in The Bronx. Painful ride, not to mention that many feel safer on the express bus. For the record, I use quite a few of those late Bronx buses and they are used... The BxM11 for example... That last bus sees usage going to Manhattan. The difference is that Staten Island express buses have less fluctuation, but they still carry enough to keep them.

Let's face it. The subway also sucks in The Bronx. Painful ride, not to mention that many feel safer on the express bus. For the record, I use quite a few of those late Bronx buses and they are used... The BxM11 for example... That last bus sees usage going to Manhattan. The difference is that Staten Island express buses have less fluctuation, but they still carry enough to keep them.

I know that the subway sucks in the Bronx, so I don't really see why you had to bring that up. I never also never said that all of them were lowly utilized, I just said there are buses that don't have many riders, and I'm talking about on a consistent basis. 

I'm all for service expansions on the express bus side, but we also have to be realistic here. Do you really expect a 2:00 AM BxM7 and BxM8 from Midtown to have more than 57 people combined? The ridership demand will be considerably lower for both lines during overnight hours, and it wouldn't make sense to operate them individually like that. As a matter of fact, your proposal doesn't even give BxM8 riders 24/7 service. I simply don't think that there is enough ridership to justify operating the BxM7 as it is overnight. You're gonna need a bigger catchment area during those times. Why you think most of the subway runs local during the overnight hours? Why is it that most Limited-Stop buses do not run during overnight hours?

A BxM7 making (almost) all 7/8 stops until Castle Hill Avenue would not add a significant amount of time. You're making it seem like it takes a long time to do all of that, which in reality, it doesn't. Google maps says that a trip would take anywhere from 24-30 minutes during those hours (obviously, it is by car), so 31 minutes doesn't sound too far off. It'll still get you to Manhattan faster than the waiting for the bus to catch the (6) train (If somewhere were to take an overnight BxM7 from end to end to get to 23 Street (6), let's say they catch the 1:00 AM trip, arriving at 2:09 AM in Midtown; the 69 minutes on the bus is faster than the 76+ minutes it would take on the train, granted that it is on-time, and there's no construction of sorts. The next hour afterwars, the express bus will certain be faster, since there's no Bx23, and taking the Bx28 to the (5) , (2) , or (D) is time consuming itself.

I know that the subway sucks in the Bronx, so I don't really see why you had to bring that up. I never also never said that all of them were lowly utilized, I just said there are buses that don't have many riders, and I'm talking about on a consistent basis. 

I'm all for service expansions on the express bus side, but we also have to be realistic here. Do you really expect a 2:00 AM BxM7 and BxM8 from Midtown to have more than 57 people combined? The ridership demand will be considerably lower for both lines during overnight hours, and it wouldn't make sense to operate them individually like that. As a matter of fact, your proposal doesn't even give BxM8 riders 24/7 service. I simply don't think that there is enough ridership to justify operating the BxM7 as it is overnight. You're gonna need a bigger catchment area during those times. Why you think most of the subway runs local during the overnight hours? Why is it that most Limited-Stop buses do not run during overnight hours?

A BxM7 making (almost) all 7/8 stops until Castle Hill Avenue would not add a significant amount of time. You're making it seem like it takes a long time to do all of that, which in reality, it doesn't. Google maps says that a trip would take anywhere from 24-30 minutes during those hours (obviously, it is by car), so 31 minutes doesn't sound too far off. It'll still get you to Manhattan faster than the waiting for the bus to catch the (6) train (If somewhere were to take an overnight BxM7 from end to end to get to 23 Street (6), let's say they catch the 1:00 AM trip, arriving at 2:09 AM in Midtown; the 69 minutes on the bus is faster than the 76+ minutes it would take on the train, granted that it is on-time, and there's no construction of sorts. The next hour afterwars, the express bus will certain be faster, since there's no Bx23, and taking the Bx28 to the (5) , (2) , or (D) is time consuming itself.

Listen buddy, you need Google maps to tell you how long trips take on these express buses, but I use the BxM8 and see the crowds riding them and see how long it takes.  The BxM7 doesn't have every bus filled that much I know, BUT a late bus going back to Co-Op City... You really underestimate how many people either work odd hours or go out to the city and come back late and ride the express bus and I mention the subway in the Bronx because you still have rough neighborhoods which is why many will opt for the express bus late at night in the Bronx in addition to the quicker trip (I'm speaking purely from experience based on the BxM routes I use late at night to get to and from the city).  I also use the subway at late hours and having trains run local isn't indicative of low ridership because the trains are actually quite crowded.  One thing that is noticeable about a lot of the BxM routes is that they have big stops where the bus can fill up and then empty quickly so seeing a bus with a light load is not necessarily indicative of anything as well.  I always see crowds waiting for the BxM7 at 23rd street at all hours.  If you think those folks wouldn't make a stink about an SRO bus I have a bridge to sell you.

Those buses may not see what the X1 sees late at night but they would be used for sure and I would not combine them with the BxM8 run.  For the record, I've also used X1 buses past 00:00 and they get about 15-20 people going into Manhattan and certainly much more going back to Staten Island. The BxM7 is capable of that given the size of the neighborhood and the type of people living there. I'm sure you have plenty of blue collar types that work odd hours similar to what you see on Staten Island.  

To be clear I would have the following set up:

One more BxM8 trip to Manhattan and Pelham Bay weeknights and a 00:20 added on Sundays back to Pelham Bay with a 23:00 trip to Manhattan since it has to go to the city anyway.

24/7 service on the BxM7, with hourly service overnight.

Listen buddy, you need Google maps to tell you how long trips take on these express buses, but I use the BxM8 and see the crowds riding them and see how long it takes.  The BxM7 doesn't have every bus filled that much I know, BUT a late bus going back to Co-Op City... You really underestimate how many people either work odd hours or go out to the city and come back late and ride the express bus and I mention the subway in the Bronx because you still have rough neighborhoods which is why many will opt for the express bus late at night in the Bronx in addition to the quicker trip (I'm speaking purely from experience based on the BxM routes I use late at night to get to and from the city).  I also use the subway at late hours and having trains run local isn't indicative of low ridership because the trains are actually quite crowded.  One thing that is noticeable about a lot of the BxM routes is that they have big stops where the bus can fill up and then empty quickly so seeing a bus with a light load is not necessarily indicative of anything as well.  I always see crowds waiting for the BxM7 at 23rd street at all hours.  If you think those folks wouldn't make a stink about an SRO bus I have a bridge to sell you.

You never answered my question: Do you really expect more than 57 people combined riding a BxM7 and BxM8 if they both departed Midtown at 23 Street at the 2:00 AM slot?

Like I said before, I am not saying that there will be no ridership. I'm just saying that it isn't efficent to run all that service. Are those 1:00 AM and 2:00 AM, and even 3:00 AM trips to Manhattan going to be SRO from section 5? Buses from the PM peak start running lighter towards Manhattan, and evening ridership levels to Manhattan are somewhat higher, but not to SRO levels, nor close to it. How about buses at 3:00, 4:00, OR 5:00 AM to Co-Op City? 

You're comparing The Bronx to Staten Island, which are two completely different animals. Some of Staten Island's express buses are the workhorses of their respective neighborhood, and even borough. While Bronx expresses have high ridership too, they do not compare to the SI routes (either in ridership or riders per trip). 

You never answered my question: Do you really expect more than 57 people combined riding a BxM7 and BxM8 if they both departed Midtown at 23 Street at the 2:00 AM slot?

Like I said before, I am not saying that there will be no ridership. I'm just saying that it isn't efficent to run all that service. Are those 1:00 AM and 2:00 AM, and even 3:00 AM trips to Manhattan going to be SRO from section 5? Buses from the PM peak start running lighter towards Manhattan, and evening ridership levels to Manhattan are somewhat higher, but not to SRO levels, nor close to it. How about buses at 3:00, 4:00, OR 5:00 AM to Co-Op City? 

You're comparing The Bronx to Staten Island, which are two completely different animals. Some of Staten Island's express buses are the workhorses of their respective neighborhood, and even borough. While Bronx expresses have high ridership too, they do not compare to the SI routes (either in ridership or riders per trip). 

Actually I am not comparing the Bronx to Staten Island at all. Staten Island gets its ridership for its own reasons and the Bronx gets its ridership for reasons as well.

And what is "all of this service" that you're talking about?  The BxM7 runs from 05:00 until 00:30 to Manhattan during the week.  I would likely propose something like this:

Service added on BxM7:

Weekdays

00:00, 01:00, 02:00, 03:00, 04:00 to Manhattan

To Co-Op City

00:10 trip added and then 01:10, 02:10, 03:10, 04:10, 05:10.  01:30 trip maintained and moved to 01:40 for 30 minute headway.

I find it odd that there is no 00:00 to Manhattan, and I think there should be one, as there is one on Saturdays.  My experience as an express bus rider is that it's best to keep the schedule consistent for marketing purposes.  I would structure the weekend schedule in a similar way for the late/overnight buses.  

The BxM8 would only see those two round trips I mentioned.  Not exactly tons of buses.

---

Let's move this discussion to the Bronx Proposals thread going forward.  My question is how many BxM routes have you actually used to draw such conclusions?  I have used just about all of them and for MONTHS at a time at all hours, so I see who is riding and where.  I have used the following lines:

BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, BxM6, BxM8, BxM10, BxM11, BxM18

The BxM7 and BxM9 are the only buses I haven't used, but I get to see who is riding those lines and where regularly as well since I use the BxM6, BxM8 and BxM10 rather regularly.

If anyone is going to go get photos and such this week, please be aware of your surroundings and be careful. MTA personnel, NYPD & Transit Police are in a heightened stage of alert. So if they'll see anything suspicious, they'll call it in or confront you.

It's best to keep your fanning plans off for another week or two. But if you guys do go out this week to fan and such, just be careful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

If anyone is going to go get photos and such this week, please be aware of your surroundings and be careful. MTA personnel, NYPD & Transit Police are in a heightened stage of alert. So if they'll see anything suspicious, they'll call it in or confront you.

It's best to keep your fanning plans off for another week or two. But if you guys do go out this week to fan and such, just be careful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Very good advice.

Just too heightened security this week.

So I'm looking at old schedules, and some of the runtimes just seem too unrealistic. For example, the B57 (the 9/2005 one for those interested) had some questionable runtimes. When it had the 70 minute headways overnight, it used one bus, and the runtime between Maspeth and Downtown Brooklyn was 27 minutes. Can that even be done at all? The daytime runtime was 38 minutes, which seems like a recipe for disaster.

The daytime runtime is now around 50-55, and the late evening runtime is closer to 30 minutes (apparently). How was reliability on that line back then (if anyone knows)?

So that might explain why there was an S48 & S53 running down Cary Avenue a few weeks ago. Maybe the paving operation was down by Forest & Broadway or something.

In any case, it affects the S48 & S66 now. (LMAO @ Clone Road :D and it's Barrett Avenue, not Barret Avenue)

Service Change  Posted: 09/19/2016  9:46PM 

S48 and S66 buses are detoured due to paving on Forest Av between Dubois Av and Barret Av.

Detour is as follows:

S48 Holland Av Bound: Via Forest Av, right on Clone Rd, left on Post Av, left on Decker Av, right on Forest Av and regular route.

S48 Ferry Bound: Via Forest Av, left on Decker Av, right on Post Av, right on Clove Rd, left on Forest Av and regular route.

S66 Richmond Av Bound: Via Jewett Av, left on College Av, right on Crystal Av into Decker Av, right on Post Av, left on Jewett Av and regular route.

S66 Ferry Bound: Via Jewett Av, right on Post Av into Crystal Av, left on College Av, right on Jewett Av, and regular route.

Allow additional travel time.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The MTA need to all Queens express bus that depart before 2PM and after 10PM to be able to use the LIE  <_<

Everytime I get a bus that decides to use the LIE over the normal route it's usually early, as compared to buses on the normal route which ends up late.  

So I'm looking at old schedules, and some of the runtimes just seem too unrealistic. For example, the B57 (the 9/2005 one for those interested) had some questionable runtimes. When it had the 70 minute headways overnight, it used one bus, and the runtime between Maspeth and Downtown Brooklyn was 27 minutes. Can that even be done at all? The daytime runtime was 38 minutes, which seems like a recipe for disaster.

The daytime runtime is now around 50-55, and the late evening runtime is closer to 30 minutes (apparently). How was reliability on that line back then (if anyone knows)?

The B57 had 3 main riderbases before the extension to Red Hook.... The one, and I mean the only one that had any semblance of potency during the late night hrs. was the Downtown Brooklyn - Farragut pj's usage.... Outside of that, buses virtually ran nonstop to Metropolitan, en route to Maspeth - This includes non-existent usage (pickups/dropoffs) @ Broadway.... It's one of the reasons I liked riding the late night B57.... ~1/2 hour sounds about right....

40 mins during the day doesn't sound too farfetched either.... I used to say that the B57 was a route that actually had too much service provided on it back then & never deserved late night service on top of it.... It couldn't have been much of a recipe for disaster - when b/o's used to crawl the route just to make time (which more or less answers your inquiry about reliability)....