BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yeah i remember Labor Day Weekend and I took one on the late X15 buses outbound and it was empty. After talking to the driver he said the reason no one was on is cause everyone already left. Same thing applies to Half days for schools when kids get let out early the whole system gets f***ed. The schedule need to address travel needs and on Fridays you sometimes you need more service at 3-4pm and less from 6-7pm. I 100% get what you are worried about separating schedules can lead to service getting cut, but adjustments need to be made. Especially if everyone is trying to get home early and buses are only running every 20 minutes when they are needed every 5 minutes. 

Yeah, the MTA probably would try to make an earlier PM rush on Friday "cost neutral" as they would say, but I'd like to hold hope that the MTA would do things the right way by doing something like having rush hour level service between 2pm and 6pm while trimming early evening service as opposed to doing something dumb like keep 2pm-6pm service levels the same while cutting early evening service.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this 100%. The system goes to shit, whenever there is a half day. The B16 gets HAMMERED on half days. At the very least, the XN40's will need to be out on at least some of the Fort Hamilton HS school trippers.

I remember once, I finished the Regents early and got out around the time school normally got out (the Regents was like 1PM to 4:15PM or something like that, and I finished the exam a little after 2PM). I saw an S46 tripper pull out with absolutely nobody on it.

The problem is that with the Regents, they still have to run the regular trips for the middle schools.

But yeah, a half day schedule would work if the schools cooperated and all had half days on the same days. 

Yeah, the MTA probably would try to make an earlier PM rush on Friday "cost neutral" as they would say, but I'd like to hold hope that the MTA would do things the right way by doing something like having rush hour level service between 2pm and 6pm while trimming early evening service as opposed to doing something dumb like keep 2pm-6pm service levels the same while cutting early evening service.

That seems to be how the MTA officials are proposing it (spreading out rush hour service to start at 2pm instead of just cutting it)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I don't think 2pm - 6pm would cut it though.  Plenty of people work until 6pm and even later. Rush hour service would have to run until around 7pm.

Friday schedules shouldn't be a systemwide practice. I would leave it just for routes that have major differences in commute times/patterns on Friday vs the rest of the week or routes that are underserved on Monday-Thursday. In the latter case the Friday schedule wouldserve as a test for possible increases to be made on Monday-Thursday.

What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They collided, as they were both turning onto Woodhaven Boulevard from Hoffman Drive.  The truck was already halfway across the turn (the bus was towards the crosswalk), and as a result, the trucks side has some damage. It looks like the truck didn't coordinate his turn correctly.

Here's essentially what happened (Not the best quality, but you can tell the damages on both vehicles):

29349067604_00191a6a5c_c.jpg7439 Accident by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Hey guys, I heard from union and other drivers that 2017 the Q53 is going back to LGA and CP is getting the Q19 back and also the Q23 to make up for the runs they lose for the Q53. Has anyone else heard anything more about this? I have to talk to some of my other friends at CP. It seems to be a bad trade to me.

Hey guys, I heard from union and other drivers that 2017 the Q53 is going back to LGA and CP is getting the Q19 back and also the Q23 to make up for the runs they lose for the Q53. Has anyone else heard anything more about this? I have to talk to some of my other friends at CP. It seems to be a bad trade to me.

I heard the same thing from one of my bus driver friends at CP. I guess I understand why the Q23, that's just going to be a nice little deadhead from Forest Hills.

So I'm on the Q70 SBS, and they got 2 people from the Eagle team riding the bus telling people about the ride and whatnot.

They combined the SBS ticket machines, and on the receipt it says LG00 instead of the individual SBS route.

Really? On the first day, they had no eagle team and just had staff at each stop checking people's tickets before the bus came, and were helping them with machines.

Really? On the first day, they had no eagle team and just had staff at each stop checking people's tickets before the bus came, and were helping them with machines.

The eagle team was mostly riding the bus on the first day. I saw one bus with the team and they were checking the tickets for everyone that boarded.

Heh, you guys and your "Eagle Team".  Get some real police riding the buses as well as following them along the route.

Our DDOT Transit Police ride the routes (including the 498 RefleX that goes into/from suburbia), in most cases with a car following the bus.  Undercover detail as well, plus constant presence at major Downtown transit center.

But then again, not too much "riff-raff" trouble these days since buses are running on time, with the occasional exceptions.  Plus the customers know the operators aren't playing: Pay your fare, no "courtesy" rides (a/k/a charity), we got places to go, and just maybe some DPD could be riding (plus the cameras all over the inside and outside of the buses).

It's not brain surgery.  Enforce the rules almost unilaterally, with a touch of customer service, and things just kinda work on their own.  Detroit residents KNOW the buses own the roads, and that thinking has translated back into the bus service itself, where the schedule is going to be followed, and if you follow (common sense) rules, then everyone benefits.

It used to be a "free-for-all", especially when/if buses would show up.  Now it's more strictly business, and customers like that and RESPECT is being shown.

The way it always should be.

I don't think 2pm - 6pm would cut it though.  Plenty of people work until 6pm and even later. Rush hour service would have to run until around 7pm.

He's referring to days when people tend to leave earlier. Yes, traditional rush hour service is considered 4pm - 7pm, but on Friday, things tend to quiet down a bit (key phrase) after 6pm.

Friday schedules shouldn't be a systemwide practice. I would leave it just for routes that have major differences in commute times/patterns on Friday vs the rest of the week or routes that are underserved on Monday-Thursday. In the latter case the Friday schedule wouldserve as a test for possible increases to be made on Monday-Thursday.

Not sure why you would test increases on a day when ridership is typically a little lower. 

In any case, I can think of a decent number of SI routes where Friday buses are significantly quicker than Monday-Thursday buses due to less traffic, and that can make a pretty big difference when it comes to catching the ferry. So to say "only" routes where there's major differences.....eh......not sure what to say to that. I'm sure there's a decent number of routes in the other boroughs where that's the case too.

I remember once, I finished the Regents early and got out around the time school normally got out (the Regents was like 1PM to 4:15PM or something like that, and I finished the exam a little after 2PM). I saw an S46 tripper pull out with absolutely nobody on it.

The problem is that with the Regents, they still have to run the regular trips for the middle schools.

But yeah, a half day schedule would work if the schools cooperated and all had half days on the same days. 

That seems to be how the MTA officials are proposing it (spreading out rush hour service to start at 2pm instead of just cutting it)

All half days for High School's at least are now same citywide so the DOE should coordinate with the MTA about the trippers needed for half day service.

He's referring to days when people tend to leave earlier. Yes, traditional rush hour service is considered 4pm - 7pm, but on Friday, things tend to quiet down a bit (key phrase) after 6pm.

Not sure why you would test increases on a day when ridership is typically a little lower. 

In any case, I can think of a decent number of SI routes where Friday buses are significantly quicker than Monday-Thursday buses due to less traffic, and that can make a pretty big difference when it comes to catching the ferry. So to say "only" routes where there's major differences.....eh......not sure what to say to that. I'm sure there's a decent number of routes in the other boroughs where that's the case too.

Friday on a route like the X17J and X22 can be hell from 2-3pm, it needs a buff, after 6 like everyday there aren't as many people and buses run the normal route again and usually its fine. Mon-Thurs needs a buff after 6 maybe up to 7pm.

I heard the same thing from one of my bus driver friends at CP. I guess I understand why the Q23, that's just going to be a nice little deadhead from Forest Hills.

It is a bad trade. It's a long DH from CP to Forest Hills

Outside of the DH, I don't think it's that bad a trade...

Q19 & the Q23 for the Q53.... I'd take it.

(then again, I'm someone that felt the Q53 should've never left LGA to begin with)

Are they the same half-days as middle schools?

I don't know

Anyway I'm on a greyhound for a school trip and the bus is stopped at the toll Tri-Borough/RFK bridge. I'm in the back so idk as to what's going on. However are greyhound bus equipped with EZ-Pass?

Even so how many Friday schedules are we talking about here? That's precisely the problem.  Too many schedules=too much confusion among passengers.  The one thing I have liked about some of the latest schedules put out by the (MTA) is that they're consistent.  I've been burned a few times thinking that a bus came at a certain time when it came at another time.  Of course it was my fault, but I'm sure others have been burned by it too.  You become used to a routine and sometimes you forget to look at the schedule.