BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

And what makes you think that?

For starters, over half of the S89's ridership is intra-island (meaning, people are basically using it because it came before the S44/59/94). Out of the people who are using it over the Bayonne Bridge, I've spoken to people using it, and most of them work in Jersey City. A few actually work in Bayonne, and there's also some people who use it to reverse-commute from Bayonne/Jersey City to Staten Island.

I know who the main clientele is but there are some that use that set up. As to why, I suppose it works for them.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good to know. I noticed you guys were talking about connections to express buses. Since the HBLR stops at Hoboken, I was thinking PATH would be a better way to switch, as the cost is far less imposing ($2.75 vs. $6.50). 

I find the express buses dedicated to NJ roads and bridges quite vulnerable to traffic. When I used to visit my Grandma at her nursing home, I used to use Express buses quite often.

I was stuck in traffic so long I almost gave up. But after poring through bus maps for answers, I noticed a bus that connected between SI and Brooklyn. 

Then I stopped buying express passes. And shaved 40 minutes of idle time on the Bayonne.

The route was: Starting from SoHo - Spring Street (C)(E)

Take (C) to Jay St - MetroTech to (R)

Take (R) to 86th St

Take s53 to Cary Av & Broadway 

Xfer to s44 and disembark at Henderson & Lafayette. 

And then a brisk 4 minute walk.

Do you guys think I could've found a better way? Some people have better experiences with express rides than I do. 

Walk over to Prince and Broadway and cut out the (C) entirely, or even hop on the (N) to 59th Street then the (R) if its a weekend. 

Good. Those lazy-ass women who primarily stand there shouldn't be setting their junk in that area in the first place.....

Agreed. The worst kind of line loafer, and they usually don't even pay.

I push past them, manners withheld. Because if they make a stink they won't be on solid ground themselves.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

It sounds ridiculous but is there internet access on the new Xcelsiors that were delivered including the MTA Bus XD-60s?

I took a Q10 decked with usb ports. They're overhead, similar to the express rides.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

Walk over to Prince and Broadway and cut out the (C) entirely, or even hop on the (N) to 59th Street then the (R) if its a weekend.

Too much. Although I used to take the M21 on the way back.

That bus was one of seven buses I took on a cross county joyride. I missed the bus festival so I had my own. Rode all my faves.

Starting from Co-op City, 11:47 AM.

Bx5 to Simpson St

Xfer to Bx19 to Riverbank

Xfer to M10 to Columbus Circle

Xfer to M5 to South Ferry

Got off at Houston St & Broadway to catch M21 (idle 21 min, boarded at 4:45 PM)

Xferred to B39 at Allen & Delancey (idle 34 min)

Xferred to B44 SBS

Xferred to Q35 at Avenue H & Foster

Finished at Beach 116th & Rockaway Beach Bl, 8:19 PM.

Shame I couldn't hook the S53 in...place really is an island. Reminds me of Westchester having a little brother...

And what makes you think that?

For starters, over half of the S89's ridership is intra-island (meaning, people are basically using it because it came before the S44/59/94). Out of the people who are using it over the Bayonne Bridge, I've spoken to people using it, and most of them work in Jersey City. A few actually work in Bayonne, and there's also some people who use it to reverse-commute from Bayonne/Jersey City to Staten Island.

Yes....but you have to pay $2.75 for the S89, $2.25 for the HBLR, and $2.10 for the PATH. That adds up to $7.10, compared to $6.50 for the express bus. (If you use the PPR with the bonus, it's technically $2.62 for the S89 vs. $6.19 for the express bus, which is even more in favor of the express bus).

Of course, weekly/monthly passes change the math somewhat, but the point remains the same.

As for your commute, all the "via NJ" express buses use the Goethals Bridge. None of them use the Goethals Bridge.

And you being the super-busfanner that you claim to be should know that the quickest way for a commute to the Henderson/Lafayette area is to just take the ferry to the S44/94. But of course, that's for people who actually have places to be. ;) If you were backtracking all the way up to 42nd Street for the X17J/30 to the S44 and then wondering why it took so long, I don't know what to tell you.

Let's do a breakdown (from experience):

(C)(E) to PABT: 10 minutes

X17J/X30 to Richmond Avenue: 45 minutes (it's around the same on both)

S44 to Henderson/Lafayette: 25-30 minutes (depending on whether you're coming from Lamberts or Forest)

Total: 80-85 minutes + transfer time

(C) to Jay Street: 15 minutes

(R) to 86th Street: 25 minutes

S53 to Broadway/Cary: 45 minutes

S44 to Henderson/Lafayette: 10 minutes

Total: 95 minutes + transfer time

(1) to South Ferry: 10-15 minutes

Ferry: 30 minutes

S44/94 to Henderson/Lafayette: 10 minutes

Total: 50-55 minutes + transfer time

I used a monthly. Which means the cost was covered. The S79 would deviate sooner and it would make me take longer.

In fact, it's why I didn't take the S93 because it forks away from its local counterpart after Hylan & Clove.

When I take long bus rides I eventually form a pattern that becomes more attainable. If it works I don't try to make it faster. I like stable. I know the timetables, the tendency, the drivers and their "wheel feel".

At least this way, I didn't have to get up as early. I prefer waiting for what moves instead of waiting to move.

I take on urban transit with a suburban attitude. I'm more patient, humble & forgiving of a city whose shortcomings held it back half a century behind its peers.

Kinda like wool but with holes in it so my street smarts can seep through.

Too much. Although I used to take the M21 on the way back.

That bus was one of seven buses I took on a cross county joyride. I missed the bus festival so I had my own. Rode all my faves.

Starting from Co-op City, 11:47 AM.

Bx5 to Simpson St

Xfer to Bx19 to Riverbank

Xfer to M10 to Columbus Circle

Xfer to M5 to South Ferry

Got off at Houston St & Broadway to catch M21 (idle 21 min, boarded at 4:45 PM)

Xferred to B39 at Allen & Delancey (idle 34 min)

Xferred to B44 SBS

Xferred to Q35 at Avenue H & Foster

Finished at Beach 116th & Rockaway Beach Bl, 8:19 PM.

Shame I couldn't hook the S53 in...place really is an island. Reminds me of Westchester having a little brother...

Your Q35 connection doesn't make sense. The actual Q35 connection is Avenue H and Nostrand. Foster Avenue is about another 4 blocks and the forementioned intersections don't connect.

Not quicker than the ferry, though (and this is coming from somebody who can't stand the ferry lol)

I used a monthly. Which means the cost was covered. The S79 would deviate sooner and it would make me take longer.

In fact, it's why I didn't take the S93 because it forks away from its local counterpart after Hylan & Clove.

When I take long bus rides I eventually form a pattern that becomes more attainable. If it works I don't try to make it faster. I like stable. I know the timetables, the tendency, the drivers and their "wheel feel".

At least this way, I didn't have to get up as early. I prefer waiting for what moves instead of waiting to move.

I take on urban transit with a suburban attitude. I'm more patient, humble & forgiving of a city whose shortcomings held it back half a century behind its peers.

The S93 goes nowhere near Hylan & Clove. It specifically bypasses that entire area. It branches off the S53 at Victory & Clove, which you should know with all your "street smarts".

It would be stupid to take the S79 if your destination is Henderson/Lafayette. Are you seriously suggesting taking the S79 to the SI Mall for the S44 back to New Brighton as part of an actual commute? If you want to do busfanning it's one thing. If you're going to sit there and complain about something taking too long.....

The S89 is primarily for those looking to get to Jersey City & Hoboken. For Manhattan, it's the express bus if I want a fast ride, or the S93- (R), or the bus-ferry-subway if I'm feeling cheap and don't have an express bus pass that week. Even for trips to Jersey City/Hoboken or Newark I would sometimes just take the express bus.

To get Downtown from my neighborhood would take an hour and change via the S89-HBLR-PATH (say I catch a bus around 7:45PM, I'd probably be catching the HBLR around 8:15-8:20 or so, get to Exchange Place around 8:35-8:40, and be walking out of the WTC a few minutes before 9AM. The X17A, now that it has the bus lane in SI and Brooklyn (the only place it's missing it is over the VZN Bridge, which is being constructed), it's around 30 minutes on a good day (20 in the middle of the night), and around an hour with heavy traffic, and I get to relax instead of running around making transfers.

Also, for anybody who does need the PATH, SmartLink cards are cheaper than using a MetroCard ($2.10 per ride). 

In any case, if the issue is cost, maybe the two agencies can work out a deal where there's a free or reduced-price transfer between the S89 & HBLR (maybe have the S89 accept those $0.75 NJT transfers, and have a $0.75 surcharge if you use a MetroCard to purchase an HBLR ticket. I dunno).  

The ETC is way too deep into Staten Island for NJT to send a route there. The furthest I can see them sending the 10 (JSQ-Bayonne) or 81 (Exchange Place-Bayonne) is Forest & Richmond. 

I see it as an alternative for those who don't want to use the ferry, personal I don't like riding boats so I prefer going to SI via bus, Even though it's not ideal, it's convenient especially those who don't wan to ride the s53 all the way through, the island. As for the transfers that would be a great idea and something I hope can be done in the future. 

What's annoying to me is I think quite a few people used that setup to go to Manhattan to avoid the ferry or express bus. I just think it's too much transferring. You see I dealt with the whole local bus to the ferry to the subway thing for a while and it's tiring and time consuming. All it takes is one of those transfers to screw up and your commute can easily be extended by a good 30 minutes to an hour. I've had numerous instances where it took two hours to get to the city. Either the bus screwed up or the ferry was delayed or we just missed the ferry because the bus was late. I got sick of having to run to the ferry and just miss it, so that was one big reason I switched to the express bus among others. Yes the express bus can be delayed, but I can spend that time relaxing in a comfy chair or take a nap. To this day I always travel with the idea of minimizing transfers and maximizing comfort, but transferring is a little easier now with BusTime.

With that said, I don't see myself ever moving back to Staten Island. The traffic congestion out there will only worsen and I'm of an age where I don't want to spend time sitting in traffic. I was walking to Grand Central last night along 42nd and saw all of these X22 express buses running packed up and just smiled to myself, as my commute home was just 30 minutes.

Some people don't mind transferring more if they can save time, even if it's one minute, they'll make 5 transfers, but you are right, after a while it becomes too much and the express bus become much more appealing. 

There is but whether the wifi actually works is a different story.

If there aren't many people it usually works fine. (I was once able to stream video on the Q44 pilot bus before everyone realized there was wifi on the bus.)

I see it as an alternative for those who don't want to use the ferry, personal I don't like riding boats so I prefer going to SI via bus, Even though it's not ideal, it's convenient especially those who don't wan to ride the s53 all the way through, the island. As for the transfers that would be a great idea and something I hope can be done in the future. 

Some people don't mind transferring more if they can save time, even if it's one minute, they'll make 5 transfers, but you are right, after a while it becomes too much and the express bus become much more appealing. 

The thing is that you're extending it deep into NJ (and putting on a lot of dead mileage). And all for the purpose of what, saving the passengers a transfer and a fare? Like I said, the fare is a separate issue and it would definitely be cheaper to just work out some sort of arrangement with the transfers. As for the transfer itself, the HBLR generally runs frequently enough that it's no worse than a regular bus-subway transfer. If the S89 were to run to Jersey City & Hoboken, I would say an express bus fare would be warranted.

Admittedly, with the Bayonne Bridge construction you do have the issue of the last bus of the morning and evening (since the bridge closes after 9am and again after 7pm) having to go all the way down to Bayonne and force JC/Hoboken passengers to backtrack on the light rail, and that situation would be easier to handle if it were an express bus (just say all buses serve Bayonne except those 2 runs).

In any case, the way I see it, the S89 is meant for NJ-SI commuters. Any passengers who use it to reach Manhattan are essentially busfanners (even if they don't consider themselves transit enthusiasts or whatever, if they're doing it for a change of scenery or whatever, it's in the same category as busfanning). Not to say that busfanners don't matter, but you don't build a service around them: They have to adjust to whatever service fits the needs of the regular commuters and the agency's budget.

Now the other alternative (which would make for an interesting discussion) is whether it would be worth extending the #81 (mostly the #81X trips) to Forest & Richmond. The way I see it, you just can't have the route going to deep into the other state. Either some SI riders have to make an extra transfer or some NJ riders have to make an extra transfer, but the way I see it, the S89 was designed to connect to the HBLR, not the NJT bus, so it is the right setup to have the S89 cover the Bayonne Bridge, rather than an NJT route. 

That being said, if we were talking a few years ago when the SIE had all that construction going on (while the Bayonne Bridge was open), then yes, I would actually agree that the S89 was a viable alternative to the express bus. You head over the Bayonne Bridge with no traffic, the HBLR is fairly reliable, the PATH is fairly reliable, and you avoid the traffic on the SIE and Lincoln Tunnel. But nowadays with the construction on the Bayonne Bridge, while the bus lanes are open along the SIE/Gowanus, you'd have to be crazy to take the S89 as an alternative to the express bus. (So in other words, there were days when the S89-HBLR-PATH was indeed the quickest way to Manhattan for anybody willing to make the transfers).

If there aren't many people it usually works fine. (I was once able to stream video on the Q44 pilot bus before everyone realized there was wifi on the bus.)

WiFi is useless now since most carriers have unlimited data plans. I have Verizon Wireless, and with my new phone, the speeds are blazing fast. No need to use spotty service.

WiFi is useless now since most carriers have unlimited data plans. I have Verizon Wireless, and with my new phone, the speeds are blazing fast. No need to use spotty service.

that's true, now that at&t finally launched their unlimited datat plan all the main carriers now have unlimited data.

Yea but I mean whether the wifi is actually working. I've been on two wifi buses (one MTA and 1965 in NICE) where the wifi doesn't work period.

For someone like me with limited high speed data every month (something like 4 GB) it's a must for me :P

Edited by Jdog14

For someone like me with limited high speed data every month (something like 4 GB) it's a must for me :P

Yes, that's tough to work with. I always had 10 gigs at a minimum. YouTube videos eat up a lot of bandwidth and I like putting on entire albums at high quality while commuting. Now I don't even think about it.

For the record, I wasn't a fan of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail either. I thought it was a big to do over nothing.....

I'm still not.... While I won't say it was unnecessary per se (I simply don't know as much about intra-NJ travel patterns like that), I didn't see the big hoopla over it either....

If that were to happen, the NEC & NJCL wouldn't be the main destinations. Places like Woodbridge and Menlo Park Malls would probably be the purpose of those routes. You may even get a few folks for Metropark heading south towards Trenton, Philly, and the like. 

I have to believe this is the case as well.... I don't see the SI-ers that currently park & ride @ Metropark or Perth Amboy being willing to take buses to an NJT station.... IDK about Menlo Park, but I know some of them love themselves some Woodbridge Center - anything to refrain from putting up with SI mall.... Bricktowne feels like a cross between [South shore's "local shopping plaza"] & [the South shore's version of SI mall]......

Look "sir", what you're not going to do is try to logically pass off grossly indirect travel methods as actual commutes..... Especially to those of us on here that know what we're talking about.... None of this is really refuting what Checkmate laid out to you....

You're not appealing to anyone on here with that Professor oak & Mr. Miyagi parable sounding shit at the end there... All it does is make it ever so conspicuous that you don't know what you're talking about....

Now go cry to the mods about that too....

As for your commute, all the "via NJ" express buses use the Goethals Bridge. None of them use the Goethals Bridge. 

And you being the super-busfanner that you claim to be should know that the quickest way for a commute to the Henderson/Lafayette area is to just take the ferry to the S44/94. But of course, that's for people who actually have places to be. ;)  If you were backtracking all the way up to 42nd Street for the X17J/30 to the S44 and then wondering why it took so long, I don't know what to tell you.

* Bayonne....

As for him being the super duper ultra hyper mega unattainable amount of trips in a month riding busfanner, the fact that he's breaking out maps in the middle of trips says enough.... Also, not "notic(ing) a bus that connected between SI and Brooklyn."... IDC if you're up in Westchester, for all that big talk, your game better be stepped up.....

Your Q35 connection doesn't make sense. The actual Q35 connection is Avenue H and Nostrand. Foster Avenue is about another 4 blocks and the forementioned intersections don't connect.

As much as I don't care to defend this guy, that bit I chalked up to as being a mistake (Flatbush).....

Anyone here ever go out fanning and early in the trip, feel tired/regret it and go back home?

That happened to me today, was gonna fan the BX1 or 2 to Fordam Rd for the BX19 but while on the (L) train I just didn't feel like it and went back home. Thought maybe I'd call an audible and just fan the 3rd Ave/Lex bus routes but I didn't feel like doing that either :lol:

I'm mad I wasted an 2.75 fare, I could have went to a restaurant and went back home on one fare (Due to the B42 -  (L) transfer not requiring a swipe )

Edited by trainfan22

Looks like the MTA is FINALLY rerouting buses off the LIE viaduct. Took them so long to figure out how much time buses waste sitting in traffic. Many operators already use that detour, but now it's finally an official detour. Won't solve all problems, but it will reduce some delays.

Service Change

Posted: 04/23/2017 8:09PM

QM2, QM5 and QM6 buses are detoured, due to traffic conditions on the Long Island Expressway between Van Dam St and the Midtown tunnel entrance.

Detour is as follows:

QM2, QM5 and QM6 Westbound: Via Long Island Expressway westbound, take Green Point Av exit, right into Hunters Points Av, Hunter Point Av becomes 49 Av, left on 21 St, right into Long Island Expressway toll road and regular route.

All corresponding stops will be made along the detoured route.

Allow additional travel time.

Anyone here ever go out fanning and early in the trip, feel tired/regret it and go back home?

That happened to me today, was gonna fan the BX1 or 2 to Fordam Rd for the BX19 but while on the (L) train I just didn't feel like it and went back home. Thought maybe I'd call an audible and just fan the 3rd Ave/Lex bus routes but I didn't feel like doing that either :lol:

I'm mad I wasted an 2.75 fare, I could have went to a restaurant and went back home on one fare (Due to the B42 -  (L) transfer not requiring a swipe )

When the Beeline first started accepting Metrocards, a friend and I went to go fan the 20 to White Plains.... Longest Ride Ever! We took the Metro North back to Manhattan, lol

Edited by N6 Limited