BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well they would eliminate the X10 (during rush hours at least) which you would know if you read the report. The X14 & X42 would be the Port Richmond express routes continuing up to Richmond Terrace.

So I work in Grasmere now.....tell me what good the routes on Richmond Avenue do me (and before you answer that I should take the X10, that bypasses Narrows Road North/South during rush hours when I travel). Why does it take me 45 minutes to an hour to make a trip by transit that takes 10 minutes when I get a lift?

And yeah, the S66 would be taken away from a neighborhood....that doesn't use it....and also has many other routes serving it (moreso than my own neighborhood)

Oh please. Traveling within Staten Island has always been very difficult because everything is geared towards Manhattan. That's why I often times would take car service after stopping at Stop & Stop or other markets in the island. Taking the local bus would take car too long, not to mention the wait.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. Traveling within Staten Island has always been very difficult because everything is geared towards Manhattan. That's why I often times would take car service after stopping at Stop & Stop or other markets in the island. Taking the local bus would take car too long, not to mention the wait.

Good so let's keep it that way so we have stuff to complain about instead of fixing the problem.  :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining about the frequency of service on Richmond Avenue or the speed. I'm talking about the lack of service perpendicular. That would be like taking the S53 & S54 out of your part of West Brighton and having everybody rely on the S48. It's a bus after all. You should be grateful you have it.  ;)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Good so let's keep it that way so we have stuff to complain about instead of fixing the problem.  :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining about the frequency of service on Richmond Avenue or the speed. I'm talking about the lack of service perpendicular. That would be like taking the S53 & S54 out of your part of West Brighton and having everybody rely on the S48. It's a bus after all. You should be grateful you have it.  ;)

Well you can't get everything.  You have a plethora of buses running on Richmond Avenue.  It's public transportation, not door-to-door service.  When I wanted to be dropped in front of my residence I called car service for that.  What I was talking about requires an entire re-design of local bus service across the island, and picking on one bus route like the S66 doesn't address the problem.  

I don't know if anyone follows the happenings in Salt Lake City, but Utah Transit Authority recently recieved some new 60 foot Xcelsiors for an upcoming BRT service. They have doors on both sides of the bus, with two on either side, plus one door on one side by the driver.

Would anyone else love to see this in NYC if a true BRT service can be created?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you can't get everything.  You have a plethora of buses running on Richmond Avenue.  It's public transportation, not door-to-door service.  When I wanted to be dropped in front of my residence I called car service for that.  What I was talking about requires an entire re-design of local bus service across the island, and picking on one bus route like the S66 doesn't address the problem.  

Good, so I nominate the S54 to be eliminated completely. Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue have a "plethora" of buses so those people shouldn't complain about having to walk to those streets to catch the bus.

And it's two routes that would be changed, not one. But since you're so insistent on proving me wrong, I'll let you figure out what the other route is. (Not to mention you act like I'm denying the need for a restructuring of service across the island. Yeah, there's plenty of neighborhoods that need better service, and my neighborhood happens to be one of them. Heck, there's even room for improvement in the routes serving Port Richmond). 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I don't know if anyone follows the happenings in Salt Lake City, but Utah Transit Authority recently recieved some new 60 foot Xcelsiors for an upcoming BRT service. They have doors on both sides of the bus, with two on either side, plus one door on one side by the driver.

Would anyone else love to see this in NYC if a true BRT service can be created?

New Flyer has been producing 4 and 5 door artics for More than a decade now. It would not even be needed here because we don't have that busway only, middle if the street boarding. And you also loose seats for each extra door installed. We have no need for such buses, and they wouldn't be interchangeable within the system as the only route I could see benefitting from this would be the M14 SBS, but then again either side boarding would only be effective and safe in the area where cars will not be allowed.

New Flyer has been producing 4 and 5 door artics for More than a decade now. It would not even be needed here because we don't have that busway only, middle if the street boarding. And you also loose seats for each extra door installed. We have no need for such buses, and they wouldn't be interchangeable within the system as the only route I could see benefitting from this would be the M14 SBS, but then again either side boarding would only be effective and safe in the area where cars will not be allowed.

What would a four door look like?

What would a four door look like?

The 3 normal doors on an artic, and one door on the driver side in the front half of the bus

Is it possible for a double articulation bus in NYC?

Nope. Max length for a bus is 65 feet, and LA Metro has the only 65' bus running in the country.