BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no. There was traffic before that too. The construction has just exacerbated the problem.

Well i've seen some ops that drive the M98 take the 8 av line and turn at 125st making another turn at 5 av and again another turn to park av just to avoid the traffic.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Just driving by......

I know you guys are "conditioned" in NYC to think hybrids are something wonderful, but out here where buses actually get above 40 mph and operators can put foot to the floor and accelerate between stops, the hybrids are the absolute most HATED of the fleet.  Even DDOT's 10 Xcelsior hybrids only get sent out if absolutely necessary--and they're only ~3 years old.  Main reason operators don't like them? Absolutely NO pickup compared to a straight diesel.  Plus in the SMART Gilligs you have the "airplane roar" when braking, especially with any oomph on the pedal.

But since you guys are used to 25-30 mph tops, you'd never notice it unless you ventured far from the density of NYC.  Which is why if Bee-Line is thinking of XDE60s (*shudder*) for open-road Westchester service, I pity those operators and customers alike.

We are? Because not many people on here, or in various FB groups like hybrid buses....

That's the general consensus practically everywhere, especially places with the Allison Hybrid System. And generally speaking, the NABI hybrids out in Westchester County do go over 40mph. They top out somewhere in the 60s and those buses are fast, even with that small Cummins ISB engine.

Most notably, New Jersey Transit's newest MCI Hybrids were slow as hell until the guys over at Cummins and Allison updated the software on those buses, now they are rockets.

The newest BAE Systems HybriDrives blows the Allisons out of the water. Those have way more power. That's why some agencies that have been Allison mainstays have been making the switch over to the more powerful BAE HDS series hybrid systems.

Now that buses are being spec'd with the 330HP Cummins ISL9 for both Allison and BAE Hybrid Systems, the takeoffs can be comparable. SEPTA's latest hybrid order has the 330HP Cummins ISL9.

Edited by Cait Sith

Can anyone confirm that the Bx6 starts SBS this Sunday on the 20th?

I honestly doubt it. TripPlanner only shows Bx6 SBS trips from September 3rd, plus wouldn't 730-741 have to be delivered so that the Bx6 SBS has enough buses to operate and West Farms doesn't have to run the risk of being short on buses?

Had a hilarious ride on the M101 yesterday. Got on at 42nd St midday. Saw from the countdown clocks that the next M101 was 9 mins away. Thanks to a the bus operator swapping out at 100th St, a wheelchair passenger and a passenger with a walker, my bus eventually ends up falling behind schedule. (of course I'm on a D60HF - sometimes I think they're not so bad, then I see a situation like this and remember why I don't like them and can't wait for them to disappear). So by the time we get to 122nd St. the M101 behind us actually passes us, having managed to catch up.

Now we turn onto 125th St and the other M101 is right in front of us. My B/O seemed to be one of those who doesn't like to pull up behind another bus at a stop. This happened at a few stops but got pretty bad when we got to Lexington. The M101 in front of us is at the 125th St/Lexington Av bus stop. My bus right across the street waiting at the light. There's a car double-parked in the bus lane so we're in the only other traffic lane, and since the B/O doesn't want to pull into the stop, we just sit at the light for almost 3 light cycles, holding up all westbound traffic waiting for the M101 in the stop to leave. I'm practically convinced now that this route as-is can't be saved and maybe the MTA should just split it at 96th St. 

Me personally, the M3/M4 are my go-to routes if I feel like taking a bus from East Midtown to Upper Manhattan. The M101 is just too slow in general, but especially across 125th Street with all the passenger activity. Me personally, I would just split it at 125th. Have the northern part be basically a branch of the M100 that heads to Fort George (that could be labeled M101), and have the southern portion be combined with the M103 (so the normal route would be that the M103 runs limited-stop north of 8th Street, with some M103 local short-turns from 8th Street to 125th, with all evening and weekend service running local).  

Well i've seen some ops that drive the M98 take the 8 av line and turn at 125st making another turn at 5 av and again another turn to park av just to avoid the traffic.

I've seen the same thing in reverse in the PM rush. I've seen a couple of M98 buses take 135th to St. Nicholas, and once I even saw one running up Amsterdam Avenue. I mean, if it works....

The buses are not cleaned either as they should be, so they're often filthy.  Let's see how long the new buses last before they become the same way.

One of the new XD60's at Gun Hill has quite the fuel/oil/whatever kind of stain it has on its right side towards the rear of the bus.

Oh, and don't get me started on the black gum dots on the floor of the LFS's...

Me personally, the M3/M4 are my go-to routes if I feel like taking a bus from East Midtown to Upper Manhattan. The M101 is just too slow in general, but especially across 125th Street with all the passenger activity. Me personally, I would just split it at 125th. Have the northern part be basically a branch of the M100 that heads to Fort George (that could be labeled M101), and have the southern portion be combined with the M103 (so the normal route would be that the M103 runs limited-stop north of 8th Street, with some M103 local short-turns from 8th Street to 125th, with all evening and weekend service running local).

I've seen the same thing in reverse in the PM rush. I've seen a couple of M98 buses take 135th to St. Nicholas, and once I even saw one running up Amsterdam Avenue. I mean, if it works....

Ive seen that also but it rarely happens. Also as foe your proposal of the M100 signed up as M101 you could just have Manhattanville since its closer to 125 provide service up to Ft George and to 96st short turn or something.

I caught the 8:40 PM M5 towards Midtown at 168 Street. The BO later says at 137 Street, that the bus is out of service at 135 Street, and that a bus ahead was going to wait at 135 Street. Right as we get there, the other bus leaves.

I don't know why that bus went out of service, because every bus is suppose to go to Midtown during that time frame. It sounds a bit sketchy. Either way, I was not waiting another 20 minutes for another M5, so I made my way to the (1) .

As if the (R) going express to Manhattan wasn't enough to mess my commute up (I had to go to the station because my unlimited expired). I saw the next (R) to Jamaica passing in 16 minutes, and immediately made my way to the Q53.

I caught the 8:40 PM M5 towards Midtown at 168 Street. The BO later says at 137 Street, that the bus is out of service at 135 Street, and that a bus ahead was going to wait at 135 Street. Right as we get there, the other bus leaves.

I don't know why that bus went out of service, because every bus is suppose to go to Midtown during that time frame. It sounds a bit sketchy. Either way, I was not waiting another 20 minutes for another M5, so I made my way to the (1) .

As if the (R) going express to Manhattan wasn't enough to mess my commute up (I had to go to the station because my unlimited expired). I saw the next (R) to Jamaica passing in 16 minutes, and immediately made my way to the Q53.

Those M5 buses go out if service all over the place unofficially.

Ive seen that also but it rarely happens. Also as foe your proposal of the M100 signed up as M101 you could just have Manhattanville since its closer to 125 provide service up to Ft George and to 96st short turn or something.

Yeah, but the thing is it's not even an issue of which depot is closer (I mean if Manhattanville has the space and the buses then sure they could take the route). The route itself is too long. You can have an issue in Midtown, and all of a sudden, you're short-turning buses at 161st Street and taking away service from Washington Heights. 

Maybe the original 8:40PM driver had an issue, so they had a driver who was supposed to go straight from Washington Heights to the depot do a partial trip on his way there, and filled the rest of the run with a driver on the extra board. (Or maybe they needed that 8:40PM driver to do a trip on another route like the M1 or something, so they had him short-turn and drive over to the M1 terminal). As for that other driver, maybe he was just a jerk who didn't feel like waiting and dealing with the extra passengers.

Yeah, but the thing is it's not even an issue of which depot is closer (I mean if Manhattanville has the space and the buses then sure they could take the route). The route itself is too long. You can have an issue in Midtown, and all of a sudden, you're short-turning buses at 161st Street and taking away service from Washington Heights.

Maybe the original 8:40PM driver had an issue, so they had a driver who was supposed to go straight from Washington Heights to the depot do a partial trip on his way there, and filled the rest of the run with a driver on the extra board. (Or maybe they needed that 8:40PM driver to do a trip on another route like the M1 or something, so they had him short-turn and drive over to the M1 terminal). As for that other driver, maybe he was just a jerk who didn't feel like waiting and dealing with the extra passengers.

Lol M1 is out of Mother Clara Hale not Manhattanville

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yea and the only reason why there's so much traffic at River drive is because of the construction they are doing at 125st.

That construction exacerbates the backups on Harlem River Drive.... The normal source of those backups are from those coming from/seeking the GWB.....

When it comes to the general structure of the routings of the Madison av routes, I would only retain the M1 & M2..... The M3 & the M4 simply does too much (after serving 5th/Madison), having to go on to run deeper into & past Washington Hgts..... I understand you need the BPH along 5th/Madison, but at the same time, there is way too many BPH along 110th....

The M101 as is, shouldn't be a thing..... At the same time (lol), nothing should be combined with the M103.

It's interesting because it was me and two other people. Given how buses at that time are usually light or even empty going to Midtown, and how ridership on Riverside Drive is only somewhat strong at certain hours of the day (and on certain days as well), the extra ridership would be a non-issue. With the route now going to 31 Street, I don't see as much ridership within Midtown on the route (which again, would not be affected by 3 additional riders on the bus). I quickly glanced at the bus that left, and it looked fairly empty (nobody was in the back). 

When it comes to the general structure of the routings of the Madison av routes, I would only retain the M1 & M2..... The M3 & the M4 simply does too much (after serving 5th/Madison), having to go on to run deeper into & past Washington Hgts..... I understand you need the BPH along 5th/Madison, but at the same time, there is way too many BPH along 110th....

The M101 as is, shouldn't be a thing..... At the same time (lol), nothing should be combined with the M103.

Agreed.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the BPH on 110 Street, but the M3 and M4 are super routes for sure.  

I actually tried the M101 from Amsterdam & 181st towards Lex & 50th one time. Never again, lol. It took almost two hours (I guess the only good thing was that I was able to charge my phone). That trip took almost 2 hours to complete (I think it was close to 1 hr 50 minutes or somewhere around that). The M101 does way too much (I can only imagine when it went to City Hall). 

Too many stops on 125th, too many people going only a couple of stops, 125th Street is always full of cars and trucks, a lot of wheelchairs, operators reliefs at the depot, going up the hills. Anything south 86th Street is fast, but it takes forever just to get there.

Now that you mention that how was the M101 overall ridership and service back when Manhattanville had that route?

It's interesting because it was me and two other people. Given how buses at that time are usually light or even empty going to Midtown, and how ridership on Riverside Drive is only somewhat strong at certain hours of the day (and on certain days as well), the extra ridership would be a non-issue. With the route now going to 31 Street, I don't see as much ridership within Midtown on the route (which again, would not be affected by 3 additional riders on the bus). I quickly glanced at the bus that left, and it looked fairly empty (nobody was in the back). 

Agreed.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the BPH on 110 Street, but the M3 and M4 are super routes for sure.  

I actually tried the M101 from Amsterdam & 181st towards Lex & 50th one time. Never again, lol. It took almost two hours (I guess the only good thing was that I was able to charge my phone). That trip took almost 2 hours to complete (I think it was close to 1 hr 50 minutes or somewhere around that). The M101 does way too much (I can only imagine when it went to City Hall). 

A typical M3 or M4 trip from end to end during a large part of the day is right at 2 hours..... Worse than that, no bus route in NYC should have a posted runtime of near, or at & beyond 120 minutes..... 5th/Madison av. service as a whole is hampered because of routes like the M3 & the M4 (even though the M4 turns off for Penn)....

As far as 110th, it's too many BPH AFAIC for it not being much more than a flyover/a bypass.... There's too many BPH along 125th also (of which the M101 contributes to), but at least there's an unquestionable demand for 125th....

From what I've been able to gather the Bx6 +SBS will be running at 7-8 minute headways during rush hour and 10 minutes midday. The local will see 5-6 minute headways during rush hour. The last thing I suspected with the Bx6 was for the local to run more service than SBS. I hope these riders don't get their tickets as soon as they get to the stop and get pissed when a local shows up first and they want to get on. 

From what I've been able to gather the Bx6 +SBS will be running at 7-8 minute headways during rush hour and 10 minutes midday. The local will see 5-6 minute headways during rush hour. The last thing I suspected with the Bx6 was for the local to run more service than SBS. I hope these riders don't get their tickets as soon as they get to the stop and get pissed when a local shows up first and they want to get on.

They shld show it to the operator if they do want to board. The DOT employees (or interns or volunteers...idk) shld tell passengers you can board the local with the SBS receipt. The operator either waves them on or takes the receipt and puts it into the bus transfer holder.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app