BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

They shld show it to the operator if they do want to board. The DOT employees (or interns or volunteers...idk) shld tell passengers you can board the local with the SBS receipt. The operator either waves them on or takes the receipt and puts it into the bus transfer holder.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

All I know is the (MTA) will make a killing with all of those farebeaters... Put the Eagle Team on that line like they did with the Bx41 and that'll get them in line real fast.  :D

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually tried the M101 from Amsterdam & 181st towards Lex & 50th one time. Never again, lol. It took almost two hours (I guess the only good thing was that I was able to charge my phone). That trip took almost 2 hours to complete (I think it was close to 1 hr 50 minutes or somewhere around that). The M101 does way too much (I can only imagine when it went to City Hall).

Ever since the XD60s came to OH that's the only reason I'd take the M101 from Midtown to Harlem, if I needed to charge my phone.

I’ve never seen any NYPD checking the bus.

Oh they do on occasional.  When farebeating became a big problem on Staten Island, they started doing blitzes, sending out undercover plain clothes NYPD officers and then had the ones in uniform get on the bus to ensure no one ran off.  They would round up large amounts of them and haul them off in handcuffs. It was quite the scene.  Only problem is this was only temporary. It's expensive to have NYPD officers doing this, but they need to find the funding for this so that they can have these blitzes on a regular basis. The paying public is becoming fed-up with paying for everyone else who feels as if they are entitled to a free ride.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh they do on occasional. When farebeating became a big problem on Staten Island, they started doing blitzes, sending out undercover plain clothes NYPD officers and then had the ones in uniform get on the bus to ensure no one ran off. They would round up large amounts of them and haul them off in handcuffs. It was quite the scene. Only problem is this was only temporary. It's expensive to have NYPD officers doing this, but they need to find the funding for this so that they can have these blitzes on a regular basis. The paying public is becoming fed-up with paying for everyone else who feels as if they are entitled to a free ride.

This happens once and a while in Staten Island, seen it on the S46 the most. Plain clothes guys like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to the general structure of the routings of the Madison av routes, I would only retain the M1 & M2..... The M3 & the M4 simply does too much (after serving 5th/Madison), having to go on to run deeper into & past Washington Hgts..... I understand you need the BPH along 5th/Madison, but at the same time, there is way too many BPH along 110th....

The M101 as is, shouldn't be a thing..... At the same time (lol), nothing should be combined with the M103.

I mean, if you just split the M101 at 125th Street, you'd have a bunch of limited-stop buses running from East Harlem to Cooper Union, while the M103 crawls along from East Harlem to City Hall. Better to have the longer route run limited to at least attempt to keep some semblance of reliability.

I’ve never seen any NYPD checking the bus.

I think they stopped that after and incident on the Bx12 where they got too rough with a guy who ended up having his ticket and it was recorded on camera.

Quick question...why doesn't the X10 or X14 serve the Richmond Bus Terminal?

There isn't demand to serve it. It would add an unecssary amount of time.

IDK about X14 rider patterns, but outbound X10 ridership is low before it turns onto Richmond Avenue (and in several cases, before it turns onto Victory Blvd). Whatever few people are still on get off by Port Richmond Avenue. The X12, X14, X17 and X42 run near the X10 and are either the same in runtime, or faster than the X10 towards certain parts of SI.

There's more inbound ridership along the portion I described, but the route would be somewhat winding towards Manhattan. In some cases, you would be better off taking the local bus to the ferry, and then the subway (despite the transfers).

Staten Island. It's called that name on the MTA SI bus map.

Where on Staten Island exactly? I've never heard of it.

The actual name on the map is "Port Richmond Terminal". It's not an actual bus terminal, rather likely a name that carried over from when the neighborhood was more active as a boat terminal or something. It's at the "top" of Port Richmond Avenue, where the S57, S59 & S66 terminate.

Staten Island. It's called that name on the MTA SI bus map.

BM5 clarified for me... See my comments below.

IDK about X14 rider patterns, but outbound X10 ridership is low before it turns onto Richmond Avenue (and in several cases, before it turns onto Victory Blvd). Whatever few people are still on get off by Port Richmond Avenue. The X12, X14, X17 and X42 run near the X10 and are either the same in runtime, or faster than the X10 towards certain parts of SI.

There's more inbound ridership along the portion I described, but the route would be somewhat winding towards Manhattan. In some cases, you would be better off taking the local bus to the ferry, and then the subway (despite the transfers).

The actual name on the map is "Port Richmond Terminal". It's not an actual bus terminal, rather likely a name that carried over from when the neighborhood was more active as a boat terminal or something. It's at the "top" of Port Richmond Avenue, where the S57, S59 & S66 terminate.

Yes, that's correct.  Port Richmond used to be a very important neighborhood on Staten Island when the other parts of the island weren't as developed. It along with West Brighton was where many folks settled when returning from the armed forces, as both areas were solid middle class neighborhoods.  When development was finalized for the SI Mall, everything shifted south in terms of importance and Port Richmond was kind of abandoned if you will and really went down hill.  West Brighton also went through a period of decay, but was able to hold on a bit better and survived to remain mainly a middle to upper middle class area in most parts, though some parts remained seedy.  In fact West Brighton was named the most affluent neighborhood on Staten Island overall despite having some seedy areas, so there are some very well-to-do pockets.  The Mexican population really helped Port Richmond remain relevant as a neighborhood and kept it from turning into a complete ghetto, so there's something to be said about that, but people still miss the old days when Port Richmond was the neighborhood on Staten Island.

The X10 and X14 terminate basically right where the Castleton bus depot is.  Likely won't change either unless the depot is moved.  The other local buses perhaps would terminate elsewhere today if Port Richmond continued to go down hill.

I mean, if you just split the M101 at 125th Street, you'd have a bunch of limited-stop buses running from East Harlem to Cooper Union, while the M103 crawls along from East Harlem to City Hall. Better to have the longer route run limited to at least attempt to keep some semblance of reliability.

IIRC, you said you’d combine the southern part of the M101 with the M103….

(odd way to convey that you’d just have the M103 run LTD north of Astor)

- In any case, I wouldn’t run the M103 LTD… My problem with the M103 isn’t that it’s an all local route, it’s the hangups it’s often subjected to, due to Willy B’ traffic, Manhattan Bridge traffic, and the shitstorm around Houston…. That is what throws eeeevveerrrything off on the M103 & there’s much of nothing that can be done about it…. Speeding buses up north of Astor isn’t anything to scoff at, but at the same time, it does nothing for the more problematic portion of the route (south of Astor)….

- As for splitting the M101, I wouldn’t limit an allocation of LTD service along 3rd/Lex to that of simply running a bunch of buses between 125th & Astor either... In laymens, I wouldn't stop at splitting it at 125th & doing absolutely nothing to either of the resultant routings.....

I’m going to continue this in the Manhattan proposals thread.

Quick question...why doesn't the X10 or X14 serve the Richmond Bus Terminal?

Lol.... Give me the express bus riders who would be willing to catch a bus in that immediate area!

Well that would be completely idiotic to "add time" to serve both the Port Richmond Bus Terminal and then continue on to the Castleton Bus Depot. I think he's just asking why they terminate at Castleton & Jewett as opposed to Richmond Terrace with the local buses.

In any case, the S40 is a quick route in general. If you're already on it, you might as well ride the extra 15 minutes to the ferry as opposed to getting off and transferring to the X10 and getting the tour of Staten Island (literally, my grandmother used to take the X10 over the X17 sometimes just to get a tour of the island when we first moved here lol). 

Yes, that's correct.  Port Richmond used to be a very important neighborhood on Staten Island when the other parts of the island weren't as developed. It along with West Brighton was where many folks settled when returning from the armed forces, as both areas were solid middle class neighborhoods.  When development was finalized for the SI Mall, everything shifted south in terms of importance and Port Richmond was kind of abandoned if you will and really went down hill.  West Brighton also went through a period of decay, but was able to hold on a bit better and survived to remain mainly a middle to upper middle class area in most parts, though some parts remained seedy.  In fact West Brighton was named the most affluent neighborhood on Staten Island overall despite having some seedy areas, so there are some very well-to-do pockets.  The Mexican population really helped Port Richmond remain relevant as a neighborhood and kept it from turning into a complete ghetto, so there's something to be said about that, but people still miss the old days when Port Richmond was the neighborhood on Staten Island.

The X10 and X14 terminate basically right where the Castleton bus depot is.  Likely won't change either unless the depot is moved.  The other local buses perhaps would terminate elsewhere today if Port Richmond continued to go down hill.

The wealthiest zip code is not 10310 (which is basically the boundaries of West Brighton) I can tell you that much. That article said that the census tract with the highest median income was in West Brighton, not that West Brighton was the most affluent neighborhood. (Also, the most expensive homes are on Todt Hill, hands down). 

And the proposal released as part of the Staten Island Bus Study has the X14 & X42 terminating at Richmond Terrace, so if they want to change that, they will. (Honestly, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. If there's anybody on the bus north of Forest, they're definitely off before the bus passes Post). Might as well leave the terminal at the depot, since they're passing by there anyway.

And the S66 should be kicked out of Port Richmond anyway. Decline or no decline. 

IIRC, you said you’d combine the southern part of the M101 with the M103….

(odd way to convey that you’d just have the M103 run LTD north of Astor)

- In any case, I wouldn’t run the M103 LTD… My problem with the M103 isn’t that it’s an all local route, it’s the hangups it’s often subjected to, due to Willy B’ traffic, Manhattan Bridge traffic, and the shitstorm around Houston…. That is what throws eeeevveerrrything off on the M103 & there’s much of nothing that can be done about it…. Speeding buses up north of Astor isn’t anything to scoff at, but at the same time, it does nothing for the more problematic portion of the route (south of Astor)….

- As for splitting the M101, I wouldn’t limit an allocation of LTD service along 3rd/Lex to that of simply running a bunch of buses between 125th & Astor either... In laymens, I wouldn't stop at splitting it at 125th & doing absolutely nothing to either of the resultant routings.....

I’m going to continue this in the Manhattan proposals thread.

Lol.... Give me the express bus riders who would be willing to catch a bus in that immediate area!

Speaking of short turns.... Walking from the popeyes across from KCH back home (I don't go to the one on Utica/Church anymore), I literally lol'd @ 5 B12's (3 of them back to back) making the turn off Albany to Clarkson earlier.... The first bus was signed as New York av.... the 2 behind it were Lefferts Gdns buses..... Couple vehicles b/w the 3rd & the 4th bus, then magically the signage on that 4th bus went from Lefferts Gdns. to New York av.... an EMT truck & 2 cars behind the 4th bus, a 5th bus was also signed as New York av....

If you're keeping score, that's 3 out of 5 buses ended up being short turns....

While the # of short turns are increasing on the B12, 3 out of 5 buses w/i that small a gap (less than 5 mins apart) is not normal.... Something must have happened somewhere along the line.....

I didn't know the Q35 had riis park short turns..

News to me that they started them back up.... AFAIR, they were only during the weekends & seemed to be at random....

You're missing a reply here.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1. The wealthiest zip code is not 10310 (which is basically the boundaries of West Brighton) I can tell you that much. That article said that the census tract with the highest median income was in West Brighton, not that West Brighton was the most affluent neighborhood. (Also, the most expensive homes are on Todt Hill, hands down). 

2. And the proposal released as part of the Staten Island Bus Study has the X14 & X42 terminating at Richmond Terrace, so if they want to change that, they will. (Honestly, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. If there's anybody on the bus north of Forest, they're definitely off before the bus passes Post). Might as well leave the terminal at the depot, since they're passing by there anyway.

3. And the S66 should be kicked out of Port Richmond anyway. Decline or no decline. 

1. You're welcome to split hairs if you want, but the wealthiest census tract is in West Brighton, period. I'm sure it kills you to hear that but that's the reality, and as someone who used to live there, I always knew about the higher-income areas. No, not all folks in West Brighton are poor, and there are numerous residences with incomes coming in around $90,000 - 110,000, with areas just on the border with Westerleigh in the 150,000+ range.  Hell the tract that I currently live in is in a similar range, around $115,000+. I also made it pretty clear that the neighborhood as a whole has pockets of seedy areas and good to very good areas, so there really wasn't a need to even bring that up.  

2. If they do they do.  Doesn't affect me either way, but the current routing (which is what we're talking about, not what may happen based on some study) goes back years ago and hasn't changed since the depot is there.

3. Well that's your opinion. Glad you feel that way. You have some weird obsession with that route anyway.

You're missing a reply here.....

For some reason, your post didn't show up when I initially posted. Anyway, I agree 100%. Even the local buses tend to be empty north of Castleton (both directions). But the express bus...aside from the fact that the immediate area is all industrial (whereas at least along Castleton you at least have people that live there, plus maybe some MTA employees who use it from time to time), yeah, no way you're going to get express bus riders to wait there lol 

I remember one time I got on a local bus at Castleton (to get to the library) and the driver asked me if I was lost lol

1. You're welcome to split hairs if you want, but the wealthiest census tract is in West Brighton, period. I'm sure it kills you to hear that but that's the reality, and as someone who used to live there, I always knew about the higher-income areas. No, not all folks in West Brighton are poor, and there are numerous residences with incomes coming in around $90,000 - 110,000, with areas just on the border with Westerleigh in the 150,000+ range.  Hell the tract that I currently live in is in a similar range, around $115,000+. I also made it pretty clear that the neighborhood as a whole has pockets of seedy areas and good to very good areas, so there really wasn't a need to even bring that up.  

2. If they do they do.  Doesn't affect me either way, but the current routing (which is what we're talking about, not what may happen based on some study) goes back years ago and hasn't changed since the depot is there.

3. Well that's your opinion. Glad you feel that way. You have some weird obsession with that route anyway.

1. High income doesn't automatically equal wealth, but whatever....

2. Nope, you said "Likely won't change either unless the depot is moved."  Considering how the MTA likes to force their will down riders' throats (and hardly anybody uses the express bus in that area anyway, so the people they'll use as support will be the random idiots from the other boroughs who crash our meetings and probably think it's a good idea to connect to a single additional local route), I think it stands a good chance of happening, even though it shouldn't.

But yes, the express routing in that area is based on the fact that the depot is there. (On a side note, even though the Manhattan express buses have always started at the depot to my knowledge, I think the old R8X to Downtown Brooklyn started at Richmond Terrace)

3. Well excuse me for wanting people in my neighborhood to have better service.

1. High income doesn't automatically equal wealth, but whatever....

2. Nope, you said "Likely won't change either unless the depot is moved."  Considering how the MTA likes to force their will down riders' throats (and hardly anybody uses the express bus in that area anyway, so the people they'll use as support will be the random idiots from the other boroughs who crash our meetings and probably think it's a good idea to connect to a single additional local route), I think it stands a good chance of happening, even though it shouldn't.

But yes, the express routing in that area is based on the fact that the depot is there. (On a side note, even though the Manhattan express buses have always started at the depot to my knowledge, I think the old R8X to Downtown Brooklyn started at Richmond Terrace)

3. Well excuse me for wanting people in my neighborhood to have better service.

1. That claim was never made, so I'm not sure where that came from. I said specifically that some parts were seedy and there were some good to very good pockets and that not all of West Brighton was poor. Guess you took that and ran with it. lol All that means is some parts are solidly middle to upper middle class. Very few NYC neighborhoods would qualify as wealthy, only select pockets at best.

2. In other words, they'd actually extend the route further and increase costs? There would have to be a damn good reason for that, so unless there's some major development, I'm comfortable with my comment. The X10 is already long enough as it is and takes an eternity at times to across the SIE And up Victory and Richmond Avenues.

3. I just think it's funny that you have no problem taking from one neighborhood so that your neighborhood can have yet another bus running through it, as if Richmond Avenue is sooooooeducated transit starved. You may not like going to Richmond Avenue but service is service.

In other words, they'd actually extend the route further and increase costs? There would have to be a damn good reason for that, so unless there's some major development, I'm comfortable with my comment. The X10 is already long enough as it is and takes an eternity at times to across the SIE And up Victory and Richmond Avenues.

I just think it's funny that you have no problem taking from one neighborhood so that your neighborhood can have yet another bus running through it, as if Richmond Avenue is sooooooeducated transit starved. You may not like going to Richmond Avenue but service is service.

Well they would eliminate the X10 (during rush hours at least) which you would know if you read the report. The X14 & X42 would be the Port Richmond express routes continuing up to Richmond Terrace.

So I work in Grasmere now.....tell me what good the routes on Richmond Avenue do me (and before you answer that I should take the X10, that bypasses Narrows Road North/South during rush hours when I travel). Why does it take me 45 minutes to an hour to make a trip by transit that takes 10 minutes when I get a lift?

And yeah, the S66 would be taken away from a neighborhood....that doesn't use it....and also has many other routes serving it (moreso than my own neighborhood)