BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

So i got to find out personally what happens when a bus breaks down in the LIE HOV lane: call MTA cops and board other buses in active lanes of traffic. 

I feel bad for the people stuck behind us

Can't the buses behind you just change lanes?

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought:

Why doesn't the MTA use 30-35 ft long buses on low ridership routes like the B39, S55/56 etc? Wouldn't that save money?

And what happens in cases where buses are overcrowded due to using those little buses? Having a uniform fleet allows the (MTA) more flexibility for things like snowstorms, shuttle service and so on.  We need to maximize the use out of the local buses that we have and not have them be used just on low ridership lines. It's foolish and a waste of money.  Each bus purchased costs HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars, so why buy little ones for that may not be used as much as possible.  

Can't the buses behind you just change lanes?

Not if the HOV is barricaded you can't.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought:

Why doesn't the (MTA) use 30-35 ft long buses on low ridership routes like the B39, S55/56 etc? Wouldn't that save money?

Sorry to say but this ain’t Philadelphia, Washington DC and Los Angeles. We need a good uniform fleet that will handle all conditions. 

54 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought:

Why doesn't the (MTA) use 30-35 ft long buses on low ridership routes like the B39, S55/56 etc? Wouldn't that save money?

Very little savings in fuel expense running a short bus instead of a standard 40-footer.  Driver gets paid the same which accounts for most of the variable expense of operating the bus.  

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought:

That would lead to 30-35 ft buses inevitably showing up on routes that need 40 fters whenever a depot runs short on 40 fters.

I'm not sure if it's for the same reason, but part of the reason why Philadelphia got rid of the El Dorados everywhere but Germantown and Krapfs was because the 30 ft. El Dorados kept showing up on routes that needed 40 fters, not 30s

16 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

That would lead to 30-35 ft buses inevitably showing up on routes that need 40 fters whenever a depot runs short on 40 fters.

I'm not sure if it's for the same reason, but part of the reason why Philadelphia got rid of the El Dorados everywhere but Germantown and Krapfs was because the 30 ft. El Dorados kept showing up on routes that needed 40 fters, not 30s

Just put the shorter buses in a separate depot. (i.e. the S42, S55, S56 and S89 LTD in one depot, they all have daily ridership of less than 1,000.)

Edited by Lil 57

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Just put the shorter buses in a separate depot. (i.e. the S42, S55, S56 and S89 LTD in one depot, they all have ridership of less than 1,000.)

You're not getting it. When there are snow storms, and other emergencies, buses are pulled from ALL depots.  Having shorter buses makes NO sense.  NONE. I'm in Riverdale.  We have a very hard time with the buses getting up the hills in snow storms and Kingsbridge gets 40 footers from whatever depot can spare them. I've seen buses from Queens Village depot being used here.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Kingsbridge gets 40 footers from whatever depot can spare them. I've seen buses from Queens Village depot being used here.

Yukon also gives all of its unwrapped NGs and some wrapped NGs to KB. Charleston and Castleton cover a lot of Yukon runs. 

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Yukon also gives all of its unwrapped NGs and some wrapped NGs to KB. Charleston and Castleton cover a lot of Yukon runs. 

As I said, each depot gives what it can spare depending on the circumstances, so Yukon may send some to KB if they have them to spare.  If not then another depot sends what it can.

2 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I’m on the Q27 and the driver just got off and went into the bakery with a bunch of passengers on board. Thank god No one on my bus is in a hurry or there would be some hell raised. 

He may have went to use the bathroom.  My only issue with that is say something.  I've had drivers do this.  They just get off of the bus and we're all sitting there like idiots.  We don't know what's going on.  Last Sunday my BxM2 was in an accident.  The driver gets off.  No announcement.  Finally some time later we learned that he was taking the bus out of service. I just don't get the lack of common sense.  And yes, people should know why they're just sitting there and not moving.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just put the shorter buses in a separate depot. (i.e. the S42, S55, S56 and S89 LTD in one depot, they all have daily ridership of less than 1,000.)

You realize that when one depot gets short, it can pull from another depot so it's rather impossible to segregate a fleet. It is also very uneconomical to run a depot for such a small subfleet of poor performing routes. It makes no sense to sink money into a depot to maintain a bunch of routes that procure very little money... If anything, it increases the chances of the routes being cut ASAP.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

He may have went to use the bathroom.  My only issue with that is say something.  I've had drivers do this.  They just get off of the bus and we're all sitting there like idiots.  We don't know what's going on.  Last Sunday my BxM2 was in an accident.  The driver gets off.  No announcement.  Finally some time later we learned that he was taking the bus out of service. I just don't get the lack of common sense.  And yes, people should know why they're just sitting there and not moving.

Had that happen last fall pick, guy would park the bus mid run and use the bathroom at a white castle on Queens Blvd almost every morning before getting on the LIE. Everyone just would sit there like WTF

1 minute ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Had that happen last fall pick, guy would park the bus mid run and use the bathroom at a white castle on Queens Blvd almost every morning before getting on the LIE. Everyone just would sit there like WTF

I find it more annoying with express buses because these guys usually get nice layover time after each trip.

4 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

And the only reason that Germantown and Krapfs have 30 foot buses is because of a rule that routes SEPTA contracts out are not allowed to use full length buses. I'm sure SEPTA would love to switch to 40 foot buses.

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

I’m on the Q27 and the driver just got off and went into the bakery with a bunch of passengers on board. Thank god No one on my bus is in a hurry or there would be some hell raised. 

One time I was the only passenger on the B63 and the driver had to mail something at the post office. Cars were parked in the bus stop and she couldn't pull in. So she just left me with the bus, in the middle of the street, for a good 2 minutes... 

58 minutes ago, JX248 said:

One time I was the only passenger on the B63 and the driver had to mail something at the post office. Cars were parked in the bus stop and she couldn't pull in. So she just left me with the bus, in the middle of the street, for a good 2 minutes... 

Bus drivers aren't supposed to be running errands on the job🤣

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Dude walked out with a couple drinks and a bag full of baked goods I doubt he went to the bathroom. The only thing that annoyed me was all the other buses passing us on Kissena, might just hop on those buses and say ours broke down or something. 

1 minute ago, IAlam said:

Dude walked out with a couple drinks and a bag full of baked goods I doubt he went to the bathroom. The only thing that annoyed me was all the other buses passing us on Kissena, might just hop on those buses and say ours broke down or something. 

Yeah, that's stupid. They shouldn't do that. Maybe at the end of the route but not during it

11 minutes ago, IAlam said:

There are some drivers that will do what you described.  I don't agree with it but it happens.  Some guys don't get their break and others just don't give a damn.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are some drivers that will do what you described.  I don't agree with it but it happens.  Some guys don't get their break and others just don't give a damn.

I didn't know his situation, and I wasn't in a rush so I decided not to get angry.