BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I find it annoying whenever I don't have enough money on my Metrocard and I pay the cash fare on the bus that I have to repay again to get into the subway. Why doesn't (MTA) allow paper transfers to be used on the subway?

Probably because you don't have to swipe again when you transfer to another subway route while you have to dip your MetroCard when you transfer to another bus.

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I find it annoying whenever I don't have enough money on my Metrocard and I pay the cash fare on the bus that I have to repay again to get into the subway. Why doesn't (MTA) allow paper transfers to be used on the subway?

That was the whole point of the Metrocard... To get people from using a ton of coins, so they dip or swipe and go.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That was the whole point of the Metrocard... To get people from using a ton of coins, so they dip or swipe and go.

I mean it does get annoying to the point where if you live in places that DON'T have MVM you get screwed over by paying twice...

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean it does get annoying to the point where if you live in places that DON'T have MVM you get screwed over by paying twice...

I personally think that in every neighborhood that doesn't have a subway station, there should be a MetroCard center where you can buy and refill MetroCards and have someone at a booth to help you out. The whole deli thing is a joke. Neighborhoods that lack proper places to get MetroCards have higher rates of fare evasion, especially on Staten Island.

Edited by Lil 57

41 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I personally think that in every neighborhood that doesn't have a subway station, there should be a MetroCard center where you can buy and refill MetroCards and have someone at a booth to help you out. The whole deli thing is a joke. Neighborhoods that lack proper places to get MetroCards have higher rates of fare evasion, especially on Staten Island.

You just have to adjust, but yes it's annoying when you go on vacation, don't go to the City and need one. The stores are constantly out.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Thats EXACTLY why farebeating is so bad on Staten Island, there’s literally TWO known places to go fill your metrocard at, St George Ferry and Eltingville Transit Center. Also, with all the years of drivers not saying or doing anything, it became the norm. Thats exactly why they’re starting this new fare payment on Staten Island buses first. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Thats EXACTLY why farebeating is so bad on Staten Island, there’s literally TWO known places to go fill your metrocard at, St George Ferry and Eltingville Transit Center. Also, with all the years of drivers not saying or doing anything, it became the norm. Thats exactly why they’re starting this new fare payment on Staten Island buses first. 

I find that absurd, almost all the SIR stations are free so they have no reason TO farebeat. It's different in other places.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I find that absurd, almost all the SIR stations are free so they have no reason TO farebeat. It's different in other places.

SIR doesn't directly take people to where they wanna go to though, like the Mall for one. That's also one spot that needs Metrocard Vending Machines.....among other places. Every SIR station should have one to some capacity too.

Edited by Cait Sith

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I think I recall that when the new metrocards/contactless cards come into play you can buy them like you buy gift cards. That would probably help a lot more people because if you can buy it at cvs, walgreens, duane reade or rite aide there's a lot of those stores. Even in areas that aren't served by subway. But I agree they should have at least had some sort of machine in certain places to buy metrocards. But who knows maybe they were afraid of theft from these machines if they went unguarded? 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The problem with farebeating that is mostly from teens. I personally don't understand why teens who basically get free metrocards have to farebeat? They do it all the time and even when I was in school my peers always "lost" their metrocards often. Another issue with farebeating is that its a result of overcrowding. A bus stop is over crowded and a bus comes packed and everyone exits out of the doors and the back door is open to people going through the back to avoid the long line in the front and to try and get a seat. If they implement all door boarding they could help elevate that problem more. Also there needs to be more cops on the bus to give people tickets for that. Random search like they do with backpacks. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I think that's a convenient excuse. It's hard to get a Metrocard on Staten Island, yes, but the people farebeating usually have NO intent of paying. Look at the farebeating discrepancy between the local buses and the express buses. The local buses have RAMPANT farebeating while the express buses tend to have the problem on weekends on lines like the X10.

34 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I think I recall that when the new metrocards/contactless cards come into play you can buy them like you buy gift cards. That would probably help a lot more people because if you can buy it at cvs, walgreens, duane reade or rite aide there's a lot of those stores. Even in areas that aren't served by subway. But I agree they should have at least had some sort of machine in certain places to buy metrocards. But who knows maybe they were afraid of theft from these machines if they went unguarded? 

The problem with farebeating that is mostly from teens. I personally don't understand why teens who basically get free metrocards have to farebeat? They do it all the time and even when I was in school my peers always "lost" their metrocards often. Another issue with farebeating is that its a result of overcrowding. A bus stop is over crowded and a bus comes packed and everyone exits out of the doors and the back door is open to people going through the back to avoid the long line in the front and to try and get a seat. If they implement all door boarding they could help elevate that problem more. Also there needs to be more cops on the bus to give people tickets for that. Random search like they do with backpacks. 

The trick is they have to sell. Vendors won't be interested if they buy them then are stuck eating the cost. I think the (MTA) needs to do a better job advertising locations and having more locations that sell the various cards.  My neighborhood has ONE store for all of Riverdale, and they are usually out, plus they take cash only, otherwise they make no profit because the profit margin buying and selling Metrocards is slim to begin with, thus they won't take card transactions.

17 minutes ago, P3F said:

Since when does the B82 have limited runs on Sundays? Are these actual scheduled runs, or just the (MTA) trying to do something about bus bunching on the spot?

Probably a bus that is running behind and the dispatcher told the bus operator to go limited to make up the time. Bus still provides service unlike sending the bus not in service.

21 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the deal with new ways the M15 route is displayed in the destination signs? It is either tiny writing that you can't read, or way too big to fit on the display. I've seen this on various bus models in the last week or so. 

Software glitch from the new display programming.

29 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the deal with new ways the M15 route is displayed in the destination signs? It is either tiny writing that you can't read, or way too big to fit on the display. I've seen this on various bus models in the last week or so. 

I've noticed this as well, and then they send the buses out like that.  Smh...

-----

Just got into the City a little while ago.  Of course the detour information is inaccurate yet again, both on the (MTA) website, AND from the B/Os themselves.  The driver tells all of us on the BxM2 that he's going along Broadway from 63rd on.  Well he didn't.  He took 9th all the way down to 34th, which put me much further west than I needed to be.  It's really ridiculous that these guys drive these routes regularly and don't know the difference between one street and another.  Had I known he'd be going down 9th, I could've gotten off at Central Park West and West 81st and taken the subway.

This seems rather random to ask, but what did they do with the buses that were used in filming of A Bronx Tale? The NYTM doesn't seem to have them, so were they scrapped or were they sent to private collectors? I thought they would preserve at least one given they were used in a famous film, like the R42s used in French Connection.

3 hours ago, P3F said:

Since when does the B82 have limited runs on Sundays? Are these actual scheduled runs, or just the (MTA) trying to do something about bus bunching on the spot?

Just as others eluded,  you will have 1 or 2 buses run behind schedule and have them signed as Limited. I've seen them run to Rockaway Parkway than they run local to Starrett City. Would be wishful thinking to run both the B82 and B6 limited on Sundays. However, (NYCT) will claim they don't need limited on weekends, but in actually they need.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just as others eluded,  you will have 1 or 2 buses run behind schedule and have them signed as Limited. I've seen them run to Rockaway Parkway than they run local to Starrett City. Would be wishful thinking to run both the B82 and B6 limited on Sundays. However, (NYCT) will claim they don't need limited on weekends, but in actually they need.

I'm still waiting for the B82 to get SBS which has apparently been cancelled. 

46 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

B82 SBS isn't canceled just postponed. They started putting bus lanes on Penn ave in Brooklyn. 

Bus lanes been on Penn Ave from Seaview to Valhalla (at least going northbound) for about a month. You are a little late on that. Right now, no cameras 📷 yet. However, soon enough, and I think that bus lane is 24 hours? I could be wrong. Dunno, if they installed lanes southbound to Starrett. 

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

There's at least 3 XN60's on the SBS Bx12 now. I think they run AM's only because I haven't seen them in the afternoon.

They run during the PM rush too. They run from 6 AM to 10 AM and from 3 PM to 7 PM, starting and ending their runs at Bay Plaza and do two round trips during the AM rush and two round trips during the PM rush.

True random thought: why does New Flyer produce XN40s/XN60s rather than XC40s/60s? For years, it was D40s/D60s in HF or LF form, as well as C40s, etc. Even the Viking was a D45S (suburban). You had DE40s and DE60s, and even E40s. The Xcelsior range brought an X to the regular XD40 and to XDE40s/XDE60s, but for some reason the C of Compressed was changed to the N of Natural to make for XN40s/XN60s. Wonder why.