BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

45 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Uh, pay the fare! 

I mean, I've seen people go through the back and then head up and pay at the front eventually. Although it is ,more time consuming when deboarding, at least they're somewhat considerate.

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accepted custom. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accepted custom. 

Haha. Try that shit in NY and you best believe you ain’t getting ur card back. LOL 😂 😆 😝 

22 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accept

Edited by danielhg121

8 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I'm simply telling my perspective on the issue, nothing else. I have nothing to hide either. For a guy like me who would be volunteering with NY's Finest sometime next summer (after training is finished), I need to set an example for myself by staying out of trouble, and that includes paying my fare whenever I ride the subways or buses.

There are MUCH better ways you can set that example by not putting it out on the interwebz that you're willing to die for less than 3 whole dollars.....

8 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What the he’ll was I supposed to do? We had to go pick up his girlfriend in Midwood and didn’t want to keep her waiting. And given the poor operation of bus service in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach (the usual buses not stoping until the subway because of heavy crowding) and the unreliability of the subway, that 10 minute separation could end up being longer. None of this would happen if the MTA ran service more compently, as in add buses to the schedule when it warrants, like every school session.

You didn't HAVE to illegitimately board that B1 without paying.

Try running that excuse by fare enforcement personnel or law enforcement officers & see how far you'll get.... Just like the rest of these people out here willfully farebeating, largely because they don't feel the quality of service is commensurate with the price of admission....

You telling someone "time & time again" to refrain from farebeating, yet here you are justifying why you did it *just this one little time*.... Need to start practicing what "the hell" you preach.

8 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So if all the buses ran on time like they were supposed to and they were STILL full, and your friend went through the back door, would you have also done it? Playing the victim is not really working out here for you.

Of course he would have & anything stated otherwise is him speaking with a forked tongue....

By the time it would have taken him to get from the back door to the front door, there'd be an increased risk of the b/o closing the door in his face & driving off.....

With how he's coming across on here, do you believe that's a chance he'd have taken anim_59.gif

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

There are MUCH better ways you can set that example by not putting it out on the interwebz that you're willing to die for less than 3 whole dollars.....

But just thinking about how farebeaters cheat the MTA out of money and gain an unfair advantage for themselves drives me bonkers <_<

6 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

But just thinking about how farebeaters cheat the MTA out of money and gain an unfair advantage for themselves drives me bonkers <_<

Same here (if you couldn't tell by how I'm going in on BrooklynBusC99 there)..... 

At the same time, neither you nor I, are superman & don't wanna get shot by no crip tonight for 2.75 (or any other dollar amount)..... Interested Rider's right, it's a zero sum game to try to one-man army a city-wide collective mindset of thievery on MTA's services,,,,

I'm not saying you shouldn't give a damn, I'm saying don't wantonly go out here trying to win any awards....

1 minute ago, lara8710 said:

The B38 is another bus route that has two branches but no letter acronyms. Same goes for the B17, Q1, Q11, Q36, and Q85.

I never understood why the MTA never thought of a better way to differentiate them. 

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably has to do with terminals. Like how the Q5/85 go to Green Acres/Rosedale.

Maybe but the B41 has one branch that goes to a residential area while the other one goes to the mall. 

Today I took the SIM3 around 5:20 on 23rd. The ride was great, only 25 minutes from 23rd/FDR drive entrance to Victory. But on victory there was a car crash. And this happened....

Victory

Gridlock traffic for buses and we couldn't move since the intersection was taped up. Luckily I ran to an S66 bus along Jewett.

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

FYI, is long waits and buses bypassing stops because they are being crowded something bought up in your Advocacy Group you run, because this is becoming widespread. It’s no wonder people aren’t paying fares.

My advocacy group and what's going on there isn't the same thing. What you described was getting on a bus WITH seats and room, and opting to get on in the back and not pay. Hardly the same thing as an express bus showing up with no seats and maybe standing room only if that.  If the bus passes you by then you can't get on and pay.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm shocked, those teens look like such studious scholars LOL

They all look scared sh*tless in these pics. Maybe they will use them as yearbook pics in school

That will probably not happen because the administration will be scared to their bones of the backlash of endorsing such actions by having it in the yearbook. 

14 minutes ago, mine248 said:

That will probably not happen because the administration will be scared to their bones of the backlash of endorsing such actions by having it in the yearbook. 

And they will most likely be investigated by NYCDOE for such implicit endorsements.

27 minutes ago, mine248 said:

12 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

And they will most likely be investigated by NYCDOE for such implicit endorsements.

I was being sarcastic lol. Clearly not going to be used in any school yearbook

21 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If I may ask, what countries have these customs?