Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I farebeat one time when I was 15 years old. Had an undercover cop pull me to the side and was scared out my ass shitless. I didn’t get a ticket because I was a minor under 16 but I never did that ever again. I make sure I had enough to get where I was going. I feel that people just farebeat because it’s just so easy. I see so many people wearing all these expensive clothes and gear but yet can never budget out their own fare for the bus or subway. I get upset all the time when I see these people who farebeat all the time because everyone else has to suffer cuts and higher fares because of them. If anything we need to eagle team or police to ride these buses more and watch stations more often. 

• Upvote 1

Whether particular laws or rules are enforced comes from the top and that is both the elected and unelected officials who make the these decisions. Whatever they decide will have either a positive or negative influence on a person's actions.

Remember Bill Bratton and the "broken windows" philosophy and how it worked. What it did was to create in a person's mind that if they do something wrong, they will get punished for it. What it did was to put a scare in many people who may have thought about doing something (for example: farebeating) but the thought (and most likely certainty) of what the consequences were changed their mind. This was stated many times by our then elected officials including the mayor and our district attorneys who prosecuted these crimes. The message got through and the city saw a decrease in crime as when not only farebeating was prosecuted but many other things that have an effect on the quality  of life, it created an environment where people thought twice before doing something like it.

Today it is different as since our mayor and his friends in the New York City Council came into office, they came with a mindset that the "broken windows" theory does not work and therefore it must be changed completely. They want to pick and choose what laws are to be followed and thus the ingredients are there for a decline in the prosecution of what they consider "low level" crimes such as farebeating. When the public hears the elected officials stating that they will not prosecute them and say it publicly like Cyrus "White Shoes" Vance, the District Attorney of New York county (A/K/A Manhattan) and this is broadcast in the media and is supported by other elected officials either publicly or privately, then you have the makings of a major increase in farebeating. If  the crime is not going to be prosecuted then the perception in the public's mind, becomes just do it as there is no penalty as if it is not being enforced in Manhattan,  then the perception becomes the same policy will apply in the other boroughs as well. If you are in law enforcement or a transit worker, would you put your life on the line to stop farebeating when you know that management will not support you? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

If you are in law enforcement or a transit worker, would you put your life on the line to stop farebeating when you know that management will not support you? 

If I was a police officer or transit employee, of course I'd put my life on the line in the name of LAW, even if those offenses are only "minor" in the eyes of today's politicians. In all the various times I've encountered scumbags who asked me to open the service door for them and give them a freebie pass to the subway, I've either ignored them or said NO. The rule of thumb is is that there's no such thing as a free subway ride, END OF STORY. The law cares absolutely NOTHING about your personal problems whatsoever. Either you pay your fair share or walk your way to your destination.

Needless to say, if our public transportation system was free (which will never be given the huge size of our city) ridership would spike EXPONENTIALLY. So that means we'll have to put up with even more overcrowding at stations, on trains, and on buses, which would further slow down service and worsen the frequency and length of delays. You could be complaining about how our subways and buses might be right now, but just imagine how they'd be if they were free...a MILLION TIMES WORSE...

Words from me, a future NYPD auxiliary officer 👮

Edited by lara8710

1 minute ago, lara8710 said:

If I was a police officer or transit employee, of course I'd put my life on the line in the name of LAW, even if those offenses are only "minor" in the eyes of today's politicians. In all the various times I've encountered scumbags who asked me to open the service door for them and give them a freebie pass to the subway, I've either ignored them or said NO. The rule of thumb is is that there's no such thing as as free subway ride, END OF STORY. The law cares absolutely NOTHING about your personal problems whatsoever. Either you pay your fair share or walk your way to your destination.

Needless to say, if our public transportation system was free (which will never be given the huge size of our city) ridership would spike EXPONENTIALLY. So that means we'll have to put up with even more overcrowding at stations, on trains, and on buses, which would further slow down service and worsen the frequency and length of delays. You could be complaining about how our subways and buses might be right now, but just imagine how they'd be if they were free...a MILLION TIMES WORSE...

Words from me, a future NYPD auxiliary officer 👮

That sounds nice on paper, but let's keep it all the way real right now....

There's heroism & bravery..., and there's throwing your life away for 2 dollars & 75 cents...

I don't know you personally champ, but no dollar amount is worth your life.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That sounds nice on paper, but let's keep it all the way real right now....

There's heroism & bravery..., and there's throwing your life away for 2 dollars & 75 cents...

I don't know you personally champ, but no dollar amount is worth your life.

I'm simply telling my perspective on the issue, nothing else. I have nothing to hide either. For a guy like me who would be volunteering with NY's Finest sometime next summer (after training is finished), I need to set an example for myself by staying out of trouble, and that includes paying my fare whenever I ride the subways or buses.

Anyway, here's something else I wanted to discuss: the MTA's now-defunct proposal for a Q94 LTD bus route between the (7) in Flushing and Fordham Plaza in the Bronx. Aside from my curiosity as to why it never materialized, here's how I imagine the route if it already existed before the MTA took over the city's private bus companies:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KjUz_nlx1nTaN4AbpGHipyZvgUkM1f_R&ll=40.80663874377318%2C-73.85808945085711&z=11

It would have been operated by Queens Surface under the QBx2 designation, complimeting the Q44 and QBx1 routes in Queens and the Bronx south of the Bruckner Expressway.

Edited by lara8710

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sorry but what a BS excuse. You didn’t pay out of fear of being separated from your friend? Give me a break. The bus empties out once it gets to the subway. Ten minutes of separation certainly won’t kill you. There’s also that magic word called “excuse me” that seems to not exist anymore when wanting to move from one part of the bus to another.

What the he’ll was I supposed to do? We had to go pick up his girlfriend in Midwood and didn’t want to keep her waiting. And given the poor operation of bus service in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach (the usual buses not stoping until the subway because of heavy crowding) and the unreliability of the subway, that 10 minute separation could end up being longer. None of this would happen if the MTA ran service more compently, as in add buses to the schedule when it warrants, like every school session.

FYI, is long waits and buses bypassing stops because they are being crowded something bought up in your Advocacy Group you run, because this is becoming widespread. It’s no wonder people aren’t paying fares.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What the he’ll was I supposed to do?

Uh, pay the fare! 

I mean, I've seen people go through the back and then head up and pay at the front eventually. Although it is ,more time consuming when deboarding, at least they're somewhat considerate.

We had to go pick up his girlfriend in Midwood and didn’t want to keep her waiting. And given the poor operation of bus service in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach (the usual buses not stoping until the subway because of heavy crowding) and the unreliability of the subway, that 10 minute separation could end up being longer. 

If you're ending up on the same bus, and getting off at the same place, who cares? The subway has absolutely no correlation whatsoever here. You two can always swipe together at the subway station to make up. 

None of this would happen if the MTA ran service more compently, as in add buses to the schedule when it warrants, like every school session.

FYI, is long waits and buses bypassing stops because they are being crowded something bought up in your Advocacy Group you run, because this is becoming widespread. It’s no wonder people aren’t paying fares.

So if all the buses ran on time like they were supposed to and they were STILL full, and your friend went through the back door, would you have also done it? Playing the victim is not really working out here for you.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Uh, pay the fare! 

I mean, I've seen people go through the back and then head up and pay at the front eventually. Although it is ,more time consuming when deboarding, at least they're somewhat considerate.

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accepted custom. 

15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accepted custom. 

Haha. Try that shit in NY and you best believe you ain’t getting ur card back. LOL 😂 😆 😝 

• LMAO! 5
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've visited foreign countries where the buses have fareboxes in the front only, and the accepted custom is if you get on the back, you pass your metrocard-equivalent to the front, someone dips it or driver punches your ticket, and then it gets passed back to you. It shocked me, but the system seemed to work since it was accept

Edited by danielhg121

8 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I'm simply telling my perspective on the issue, nothing else. I have nothing to hide either. For a guy like me who would be volunteering with NY's Finest sometime next summer (after training is finished), I need to set an example for myself by staying out of trouble, and that includes paying my fare whenever I ride the subways or buses.

There are MUCH better ways you can set that example by not putting it out on the interwebz that you're willing to die for less than 3 whole dollars.....

8 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What the he’ll was I supposed to do? We had to go pick up his girlfriend in Midwood and didn’t want to keep her waiting. And given the poor operation of bus service in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach (the usual buses not stoping until the subway because of heavy crowding) and the unreliability of the subway, that 10 minute separation could end up being longer. None of this would happen if the MTA ran service more compently, as in add buses to the schedule when it warrants, like every school session.

You didn't HAVE to illegitimately board that B1 without paying.

Try running that excuse by fare enforcement personnel or law enforcement officers & see how far you'll get.... Just like the rest of these people out here willfully farebeating, largely because they don't feel the quality of service is commensurate with the price of admission....

You telling someone "time & time again" to refrain from farebeating, yet here you are justifying why you did it *just this one little time*.... Need to start practicing what "the hell" you preach.

8 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So if all the buses ran on time like they were supposed to and they were STILL full, and your friend went through the back door, would you have also done it? Playing the victim is not really working out here for you.

Of course he would have & anything stated otherwise is him speaking with a forked tongue....

By the time it would have taken him to get from the back door to the front door, there'd be an increased risk of the b/o closing the door in his face & driving off.....

With how he's coming across on here, do you believe that's a chance he'd have taken anim_59.gif

Edited by B35 via Church
  • LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

There are MUCH better ways you can set that example by not putting it out on the interwebz that you're willing to die for less than 3 whole dollars.....

But just thinking about how farebeaters cheat the MTA out of money and gain an unfair advantage for themselves drives me bonkers <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

But just thinking about how farebeaters cheat the MTA out of money and gain an unfair advantage for themselves drives me bonkers <_<

Same here (if you couldn't tell by how I'm going in on BrooklynBusC99 there)..... 

At the same time, neither you nor I, are superman & don't wanna get shot by no crip tonight for 2.75 (or any other dollar amount)..... Interested Rider's right, it's a zero sum game to try to one-man army a city-wide collective mindset of thievery on MTA's services,,,,

I'm not saying you shouldn't give a damn, I'm saying don't wantonly go out here trying to win any awards....

5 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Alright who stole buses again?

Subway Conquestors 2.0...or should I say, Bus Conquestors...

• Upvote 1

Why the B41 which has two branches never got letter acronyms Like the M14A&D, M34&A, Q20A&B, Q15&A,  Bx4&A?

Edited by Brillant93
grammatical errors.

4 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Subway Conquestors 2.0...or should I say, Bus Conquestors...

Its the copy cat crime when things like this happens. Something happens then other people want to try after. Happens with murders and so on when its televised way too much. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Why the B41 which has two branches never got letter acronyms Like the M14A&D, M34&A, Q20A&B, Q15&A,  Bx4&A?

Probably has to do with terminals. Like how the Q5/85 go to Green Acres/Rosedale.

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The B38 is another bus route that has two branches but no letter acronyms. Same goes for the B17, Q1, Q11, Q36, and Q85.

1 minute ago, lara8710 said:

The B38 is another bus route that has two branches but no letter acronyms. Same goes for the B17, Q1, Q11, Q36, and Q85.

I never understood why the MTA never thought of a better way to differentiate them. 

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably has to do with terminals. Like how the Q5/85 go to Green Acres/Rosedale.

Maybe but the B41 has one branch that goes to a residential area while the other one goes to the mall. 

Today I took the SIM3 around 5:20 on 23rd. The ride was great, only 25 minutes from 23rd/FDR drive entrance to Victory. But on victory there was a car crash. And this happened....

Victory

Gridlock traffic for buses and we couldn't move since the intersection was taped up. Luckily I ran to an S66 bus along Jewett.

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

My advocacy group and what's going on there isn't the same thing. What you described was getting on a bus WITH seats and room, and opting to get on in the back and not pay. Hardly the same thing as an express bus showing up with no seats and maybe standing room only if that.  If the bus passes you by then you can't get on and pay.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

b/c it doesn’t need. Also we need to stop with the letter acronyms in 2019. The (MTA) must do better in this department. 

With the LFS at Quill, it was once as I saw one on the M42. 

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Alright who stole buses again?

I'm shocked, those teens look like such studious scholars LOL

They all look scared sh*tless in these pics. Maybe they will use them as yearbook pics in school

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1