BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

One of the emptiest SIM10s I've ever seen lol. Its still light out so I'm guessing this was the first or second bus of the afternoon. Only 25mins from 23st to Fingerboard Road in S.I. Driver was moving too!

That's impressive. It should be like that every day at all times though.

While I was doing some random surfing on Google I found an interesting bus route study from the NYC Department of Transportation, showing proposed changes to routes operated by the now-defunct Green Bus Lines (in PDF format):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/dotbusrsra_3.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjJkrrr77bfAhWynuAKHYjvCnoQFjACegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw0IeEEM-RQcGHB1KM-_Tqmy&cshid=1545600197802

Last night at approx: 11:30, there was a B41 Limited running to Downtown Brooklyn. Unless the operator put the wrong code last I check there's no late night B41 Limited service to Downtown Brooklyn. Also, during the same time frame there about 5 buses heading down to Kings Plaza within a 20 minute span. By the way is there Bergen Beach service during the hours of 11:30PM and 5:00AM?   

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Last night at approx: 11:30, there was a B41 Limited running to Downtown Brooklyn. Unless the operator put the wrong code last I check there's no late night B41 Limited service to Downtown Brooklyn. Also, during the same time frame there about 5 buses heading down to Kings Plaza within a 20 minute span. By the way is there Bergen Beach service during the hours of 11:30PM and 5:00AM?   

B41 local service, yes....

7 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Most likely those trips were running very late, so the dispatcher(s) could have had them run limited to make up time.

Probably, However on BusTime these trips show up as local trips, even though on the bus it says "Limited".

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I think that happens because Bustime uses info for trips that are scheduled, not what actually happens on the road. 

Huh? That would be hilarious--buses would be nowhere near what comes in! BusTime is generally going off the farebox input and the beacon, but it can confuse buses deadheading in areas matching other services. That's why you can see an MCI on the M1, etc., every once in a while. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Huh? That would be hilarious--buses would be nowhere near what comes in! BusTime is generally going off the farebox input and the beacon, but it can confuse buses deadheading in areas matching other services. That's why you can see an MCI on the M1, etc., every once in a while. 

Thanks for that clearing that up. I had forgotten that fareboxes had something to do with it.

12 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not at all.

I wouldn’t be so sure as of right now. Hopefully this will clear up before April, but as of right now, West Farm seems to be short on buses to the point that a LFS from Gun Hill had to be used on the Bx36. 

7 minutes ago, mine248 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure as of right now. Hopefully this will clear up before April, but as of right now, West Farm seems to be short on buses to the point that a LFS from Gun Hill had to be used on the Bx36. 

Most of the main L shuttle buses(the artics) are being sent to Manhattan. West Farms' shortage isn't that big to put a dent on the L shuttle. 5 buses isn't much.

We also have quite a bit of buses in storage, which can be pulled out in the event that they are needed. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Was there a plan extending the B82 Select to Coney Island?

Not that I heard of. What needs to be extended is it to run on the weekends. 

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Most of the main L shuttle buses(the artics) are being sent to Manhattan. West Farms' shortage isn't that big to put a dent on the L shuttle. 5 buses isn't much.

We also have quite a bit of buses in storage, which can be pulled out in the event that they are needed. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I wonder what routes will the standard buses will be put on for the shuttle and what others would use artics besides the M14 sbs.

14 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just take a look at how much the X28 grew when weekend service was added in a course of 1 year.

X28 ridership

Pretty sure the SIM2 would of been the same if they didn't cut service too early.

Like @BM5 via Woodhaven said, the number is a bit off because the service started late in the year. The service started September 4th, 2016 so it only ran for about 1/3 of the year. So to get a rough estimate, you can multiply 128 * 3 = 384 (so around 400-ish riders per weekend).

It's a big increase, but honestly 500-ish riders per weekend is still fairly low.

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Should come out in the 2018 ridership stats when it comes out next year. 

The weekend ridership would (in a similar format as the X28 ridership where you have to estimate what it was on a typical weekend since the SIM2 didn't exist until August 19th). There wouldn't be a way to separate off-peak/reverse-peak weekday ridership from peak ridership just on those stats. (Though one of the things I've been pushing for them to do is release as many of the stats as possible, because at the end, as commuters we do have a right to know how our routes are performing).

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Two things to consider... The cost and the number of buses available. For now until the contract is finalized and more buses are ordered and at the depots, the number of buses available must be considered. As was mentioned, there’s the cost factor as well. I think the SIM2 off-peak and weekend situation should be revisited once Staten Island receives more buses, and we get a better understanding of the agency’s financial standing.

You don't need extra buses to operate off-peak service. You just need extra money to pay the drivers and pay for fuel and stuff like that. By definition, peak service determines your maximum fleet requirements. 

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

You don't need extra buses to operate off-peak service. You just need extra money to pay the drivers and pay for fuel and stuff like that. By definition, peak service determines your maximum fleet requirements. 

Still, they had to pull from somewhere for the new routes they created. They are tight when it comes to buses.

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Still, they had to pull from somewhere for the new routes they created. They are tight when it comes to buses.

Still has nothing to do with off-peak service. That only constrains peak service. There's plenty of off-peak buses available. Let's say they need 20 buses for the SIM1C (the longest and most frequent route). Then let's say 10 each for the SIM3C & SIM33C. Then say another 15 for the SIM4C. That's 55 buses total. The SIM2 required about 5-6 depending on the time. They have what, like 500 express buses out here? Lack of buses isn't an excuse.

Those numbers are super rough estimates, but you get the idea.

31 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Still has nothing to do with off-peak service. That only constrains peak service. There's plenty of off-peak buses available. Let's say they need 20 buses for the SIM1C (the longest and most frequent route). Then let's say 10 each for the SIM3C & SIM33C. Then say another 15 for the SIM4C. That's 55 buses total. The SIM2 required about 5-6 depending on the time. They have what, like 500 express buses out here? Lack of buses isn't an excuse.

Those numbers are super rough estimates, but you get the idea.

As I said, it’s a combination of things. You can argue to the cows come home.