BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The other thing that pisses me off is the ghost buses on bustime. I've asked through Twitter and a lot of times on whether buses are operating in service as they don't show up on bustime, and when I don't get a response that it's cancelled, they respond that the bus operator doing the trip is not regularly assigned to the trip, so it's not showing up. Something regarding how they set up the system which BTW is ridiculous, especially as temperatures are getting hotter. Nobody is going to want to deal with said situations when the temperatures are in the high 80s and 90s, and when the headways are over 10 minutes. I have to be playing guessing games if a scheduled trip is a no-show, especially since they don't post anything for the local lines.

Do keep in mind that the people who manage the Twitter accounts for Transit are not the same people who sit/work at the command center. They still have to get that information whenever its requested. Dispatch could do a better job at relaying this information ahead of time, however...

Ghost buses are here and there. Usually there's no way of knowing you have a ghost bus upon pullout because there's no way to see if the onboard Clever Devices computer is online with a good GPS signal. We usually do find out once we start a trip and the announcment system isn't playing/showing stops and the bus stops with countdown timers don't update when your bus gets near. It isn't a safety critical defect so the bus remains in service. It will just look like there's a gap in service on BusTime.

And yes, operators pulling extra service will also ghost because they are not logged in to the farebox with the correct run/route numbers (because they aren't assigned to that line), they just throw the sign up and go into service. I've done it before when I covered trips after finishing my run.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What amazes me is you have Riders Alliance, Transportation Alternatives, etc. NONE of those so called "advocacy groups" focus on the day-to-day issues for the local bus riders. Damn shame...

Riders Alliance is an anti-transit group under the guise of being transit advocates... Transportation Alternatives is too focused on being anti-car than being pro public transit.... Straphangers Campaign does more criticizing of public transit than it does advocating for better public transit... I'm not sure what Passengers United's angle is per se, but every time I hear of that group's founder, he's bitching about what (folks from other) organization's AREN'T doing.... Long Island Bus Rider's Union (LIBRU) clearly has an agenda that is completely separate from anything actually involving public transit (like they're using public transit advocacy as a front)....

I hear you... I just can't, with these so-called advocacy groups either.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Riders Alliance is an anti-transit group under the guise of being transit advocates... Transportation Alternatives is too focused on being anti-car than being pro public transit.... Straphangers Campaign does more criticizing of public transit than it does advocating for better public transit... I'm not sure what Passengers United's angle is per se, but every time I hear of that group's founder, he's bitching about what (folks from other) organization's AREN'T doing.... Long Island Bus Rider's Union (LIBRU) clearly has an agenda that is completely separate from anything actually involving public transit (like they're using public transit advocacy as a front)....

I honestly think that there should be an advocacy group focused on the day-to-day issues for the local bus riders and I am surprised that there isn't really such a group. People ask me regularly what group they can join for the local buses. It's easier for the express for a number of reasons, but I'll be frank in saying that the local can be much better than it is. The excuse that there are not enough eyes at the (MTA)... There are eyes, but they have be "forced" to see what's going on with service and have someone pushing them to address certain issues. Speak with any dispatcher or Superintendent as I have. They know those lines inside out and what the issues are.

One the reasons I focus on this like getting bus stops cleaned up, fixing tracking issues on the express buses, AC issues, etc. is because those are things that infuriate me as a commuter. We've gotten a few express bus stops cleaned up around the City and a few moved to better locations as well. We're working on another stop at Lex & 33rd that is overrun with garbage. 

286483351_10224734548363530_856961098484

No one should have to stand at a stop like that. I believe Riders Alliance & Transportation Alternatives are both funded by an array of companies that likely could care less about the actual local bus commuters. I have heard at a number of Queens events from commuters complaining about bus stop elimination, etc., including when I spoke last night out in Queens, and Riders Alliance and Transportation Alternatives are both pushing for that. Myself and the other advocates I work with on the express side, we are all volunteers and commuters, so we get it. What scares me about the organizations I mentioned is they just come into communities pushing an agenda that the people that actually live there don't necessarily support. All I do is inform people of what's going on with their service and let them decide what works for them and encourage them to speak up for their own service, etc.

Passengers United... They seem to cover everything under the sun. I mean everything... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That's why I can't take any of them serious. 

On 6/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I honestly think that there should be an advocacy group focused on the day-to-day issues for the local bus riders and I am surprised that there isn't really such a group. People ask me regularly what group they can join for the local buses. It's easier for the express for a number of reasons, but I'll be frank in saying that the local can be much better than it is. The excuse that there are not enough eyes at the (MTA)... There are eyes, but they have be "forced" to see what's going on with service and have someone pushing them to address certain issues. Speak with any dispatcher or Superintendent as I have. They know those lines inside out and what the issues are.

With the sheer amount of local buses in this city, I can't see there ever being an all-encompassing advocacy group for local buses... A BM4 rider, BxM4 rider, QM4 rider & a SIM4 rider will sympathize with one another before a B4 rider, Q4 rider, M4 rider, and a Bx4 rider ever would..... Unlike express bus riders, there isn't that sense of universal pride that exists amongst local bus commuters.... At absolute best, I can see one being started up strictly focusing on routes that serve some given community/neighborhood... To a small extent, certain community boards do that - but obviously the betterment of local bus service in their communities isn't their sole focus (like it would be for an advocacy group)....

One the reasons I focus on this like getting bus stops cleaned up, fixing tracking issues on the express buses, AC issues, etc. is because those are things that infuriate me as a commuter. We've gotten a few express bus stops cleaned up around the City and a few moved to better locations as well. We're working on another stop at Lex & 33rd that is overrun with garbage. 

286483351_10224734548363530_856961098484

No one should have to stand at a stop like that.

Folks like to bring up West Midtown & Hell's Kitchen when it comes to filth (and rightfully so), but it's just as much an issue in East Midtown, where bus stops are absolutely riddled with trash bags.... One (section) that's a major culprit that immediately comes to mind is the NB side (or WB direction, if you prefer) of E. 34th street.... Another is along 3rd av from the 20's, all the way up to like the 60's, with trash bags being lined up along/around the stops for the M101/2/3.... Master Splinter, Jerry, Mickey, Minnie, Pinky, Brain, and every other goddamned rodent is right there along with it....

I will never forget a time I was waiting at the first stop for the BxM1 (33rd & 3rd.... I wonder if that scaffolding is STILL there on that entire block after all these years), and 2 rats came out of nowhere, as the b/o started up the engine... One of them suckers, seconds later, ran atop my left boot as I was standing waiting (there was a homeless guy sleeping at the bus shelter, so that was out the question).....

I believe Riders Alliance & Transportation Alternatives are both funded by an array of companies that likely could care less about the actual local bus commuters. I have heard at a number of Queens events from commuters complaining about bus stop elimination, etc., including when I spoke last night out in Queens, and Riders Alliance and Transportation Alternatives are both pushing for that. Myself and the other advocates I work with on the express side, we are all volunteers and commuters, so we get it. What scares me about the organizations I mentioned is they just come into communities pushing an agenda that the people that actually live there don't necessarily support. All I do is inform people of what's going on with their service and let them decide what works for them and encourage them to speak up for their own service, etc.

Passengers United... They seem to cover everything under the sun. I mean everything... 

Yeah, you have commuters and/or those wanting to join those advocacy groups that are green/naive as to what their true agendas are.... The latter eventually succumb to the corruption & abandon their original reason for becoming members in the first place.... Only the principled aspiring members to these groups bow out before that ever happens... As @SoSpectacular stated, you can't take them seriously - especially at face value... But yeah, I'm of the belief that Riders Alliance, Transportation Alternatives, and the Straphangers Campaign are not only funded by companies that couldn't give a damn about bus commuters, but also receive a certain amount of political funding on top of it....

Lol at your comment about Passengers United... I mean shit, that guy D'souza is more predisposed with inter-organizational drama (specifically against Riders Alliance) than anything....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

With the sheer amount of local buses in this city, I can't see there ever being an all-encompassing advocacy group for local buses... A BM4 rider, BxM4 rider, QM4 rider & a SIM4 rider will sympathize with one another before a B4 rider, Q4 rider, M4 rider, and a Bx4 rider ever would..... Unlike express bus riders, there isn't that sense of universal pride that exists amongst local bus commuters.... At absolute best, I can see one being started up strictly focusing on routes that serve some given community/neighborhood... To a small extent, certain community boards do that - but obviously the betterment of local bus service in their communities isn't their sole focus (like it would be for an advocacy group)....

Folks like to bring up West Midtown & Hell's Kitchen when it comes to filth (and rightfully so), but it's just as much an issue in East Midtown, where bus stops are absolutely riddled with trash bags.... One (section) that's a major culprit that immediately comes to mind is the NB side (or WB direction, if you prefer) of E. 34th street.... Another is along 3rd av from the 20's, all the way up to like the 60's, with trash bags being lined up along/around the stops for the M101/2/3.... Master Splinter, Jerry, Mickey, Minnie, Pinky, Brain, and every other goddamned rodent is right there along with it....

I will never forget a time I was waiting at the first stop for the BxM1 (33rd & 3rd.... I wonder if that scaffolding is STILL there on that entire block after all these years), and 2 rats came out of nowhere, as the b/o started up the engine... One of them suckers, seconds later, ran atop my left boot as I was standing waiting (there was a homeless guy sleeping at the bus shelter, so that was out the question).....

Yeah, you have commuters and/or those wanting to join those advocacy groups that are green/naive as to what their true agendas are.... The latter eventually succumb to the corruption & abandon their original reason for becoming members in the first place.... Only the principled aspiring members to these groups bow out before that ever happens... As @SoSpectacular stated, you can't take them seriously - especially at face value... But yeah, I'm of the belief that Riders Alliance, Transportation Alternatives, and the Straphangers Campaign are not only funded by companies that couldn't give a damn about bus commuters, but also receive a certain amount of political funding on top of it....

Lol at your comment about Passengers United... I mean shit, that guy D'souza is more predisposed with inter-organizational drama (specifically against Riders Alliance) than anything....

Can't disagree with anything you said. All very true and scary.

Today was the first time in a while I have seen a bus driver stand up to an unruly passenger. As a young kid, I definitely remember bus drivers on Queens Surface refusing to move if people didn’t pay, but its not like that anymore. And yet today at about 1:45, I saw a Q46 driver kick off every one on the bus heading towards the subway after pulling into 164 St over someone refusing to wear a mask. And then after getting some food, I walked back at about 2:15 just to see about 30 people waiting next to a parked bus with some talking with the driver about how sad it is that people ruin things for everyone. Glad I didn’t need that bus today.

I checked the MTA website today and they have an notice up that the Bronx redesign starts this sunday.. I'm bummed about this as I thought it was happening way off into the future, not this sunday.

Hate how they took M100 and BX15 off of 125th street, two of my favorite routes uptown because ridership was light at the terminals and easy to get an seat and now those routes will get slammed at their southern terminals.

I do like the BX30 change however, it seems like the (2) gets to Pelham Parkway faster than the (D) gets to 205th street so personally that change benefits me lol

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Hate how they took M100 and BX15 off of 125th street, two of my favorite routes uptown because ridership was light at the terminals and easy to get an seat and now those routes will get slammed at their southern terminals.

That wasn't the real reason. They did that because of the congestion along 125th.  

43 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That wasn't the real reason. They did that because of the congestion along 125th.  

I wasn't implying that was the reason. I posted that cause of my selfish busfan reasons:lol: Outside of Queens boarding routes with heavy ridership at the first stop is chaotic. 

This is something that was bugging me. Just a minute ago, I saw 9863 from Kingsbridge passing by my house (My house is in East Harlem). This was not the first time I encounter a bus coming from the Bronx. The first time was when a WF bus passed-by. I didn't know the number at the time, but it came out of nowhere. Whether or not 9863 was traveling from Kingsbridge to Manhattan for the start of the M125 route, or for training, I needed to question this?

Edited by RSMG106

I kind of hoping for the best for the new Bronx local Bus Network.Just a couple of things  I just noticed.

1.The new  extended crosstown bus route  Bx11 is a huge plus for bus riders  in Soundview and Parkchester on Paper.I think it going to be  more unreliable in terms of traffic conditons over the long distance.

2.Bx25/26 retrurns to nearly identical routing since 2010.It becomes 2 route system like (Bx28/38,)(Bx40/42)But with full service.May have same issues in terms of bus bunching and long wait times.

3.Bx4A shorten routing to Southern Blvd .Good idea and maybe help improve the reliabilty of both routes.

4.Bx40/42 and Bx36 swaps East 180/East Tremont.Excellent idea.Tremont needed Limited service.More direct routes.

5.On the fence on Bx35.No more Service to Simpson st/Southern Blvd. Longer walk times  to subway and bus connections.But improved turnaroundtimes.(Possible Extension of Bx27/35 differnt terminals)

6.Bx15/M125.It is a good idea to spit the route to improve the reilabilty due to traffic connections.It removes one ride connections to Mahattan.Also what the point removing prior Bx55 service in 2010 only to to be replaced by now the Bx15 limited 3rd ave service and Bx41sbs? The 41 SBS  I understand most Bx55 bus ended at Fordram Plaza. 

7.Can a new limited or bus line help the North west side of Bronx (Bx10,Bx9,Bx7,Bx20,Bx3)?

Thanks!

What the hell happened to the Manhattan Bus Map? Damn thing is all pixelated. It's like someone took a screenshot of the original PDF map, so that when you zoom in, the lines become all fuzzy. Or maybe it was rendered badly.

The subway lines are pixelated and some, like the 7, have different colors.

The Williamsburg Bridge is atrocious.

Is it now the Meatpucking District?

https://new.mta.info/map/5391

8E79dUl.png

6fBrClQ.png

52 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

What the hell happened to the Manhattan Bus Map? Damn thing is all pixelated. It's like someone took a screenshot of the original PDF map, so that when you zoom in, the lines become all fuzzy. Or maybe it was rendered badly.

The subway lines are pixelated and some, like the 7, have different colors.

The Williamsburg Bridge is atrocious.

Is it now the Meatpucking District?

https://new.mta.info/map/5391

8E79dUl.png

They haven't even updated the M21 route to show that PM rush buses only go as far as Varick Street. Also, was it too much effort to have the terminal box on the M100 at 125th Street & Saint Nicholas?

EDIT: Also take a look at the M22 route....LOL. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 6/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, RSMG106 said:

This is something that was bugging me. Just a minute ago, I saw 9863 from Kingsbridge passing by my house (My house is in East Harlem). This was not the first time I encounter a bus coming from the Bronx. The first time was when a WF bus passed-by. I didn't know the number at the time, but it came out of nowhere. Whether or not 9863 was traveling from Kingsbridge to Manhattan for the start of the M125 route, or for training, I needed to question this?

Why does it bug you? Buses are used where needed to make service. For example, I see that they often times use SBS buses on regular lines, etc. What's important is that service is made and people aren't waiting insane periods of time. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why does it bug you? Buses are used where needed to make service. For example, I see that they often times use SBS buses on regular lines, etc. What's important is that service is made and people aren't waiting insane periods of time. 

I can understand that. I only say that because I rarely encounter local buses from the Bronx in my area. Twice with West Farms, and now once with Kingsbridge. Unless the bus I saw must've went over to TU for refueling, similar to Spring Creek's express coaches getting refueled at TU.

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Creek's express coaches getting refueled at TU

SC express units aren't "refueled" at 100 Street. last time i checked, they do not enter the depot via the fuel line on the park Avenue side. they enter thru the Lexington Avenue side and head to the 4th floor for midday layovers only

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

SC express units aren't "refueled" at 100 Street. last time i checked, they do not enter the depot via the fuel line on the park Avenue side. they enter thru the Lexington Avenue side and head to the 4th floor for midday layovers only

Yeah those buses lay up over there to avoid the long deadhead from Brooklyn. Same story with the Queens express buses I see. Been like that for years too. Often times my express bus in the morning from Riverdale would pass right by the depot. After a while I sort of put the pieces together as what they were doing there.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah those buses lay up over there to avoid the long deadhead from Brooklyn. Same story with the Queens express buses I see. Been like that for years too. Often times my express bus in the morning from Riverdale would pass right by the depot. After a while I sort of put the pieces together as what they were doing there.

yeah from when i worked there in 2011 they've been entering that yard the same way. several times i (and other 100 street b/o's) hitched rides with SC operators into the depot to get to our cars on the 3rd floor... to the point where our general superintendent (S. Gatling) instructed us & SC b/o's to end that practice. that's why I added my 2 cents... i know SC & FR layover there, but they NEVER went thru the fuel line or the bus wash at 100 Street. and i used to pull buses up on the fuel line at different hours during the weekdays. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry