BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

9 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yeah from when i worked there in 2011 they've been entering that yard the same way. several times i (and other 100 street b/o's) hitched rides with SC operators into the depot to get to our cars on the 3rd floor... to the point where our general superintendent (S. Gatling) instructed us & SC b/o's to end that practice. that's why I added my 2 cents... i know SC & FR layover there, but they NEVER went thru the fuel line or the bus wash at 100 Street. and i used to pull buses up on the fuel line at different hours during the weekdays. 

Yeah and that wouldn't make sense for them to either. It's not like on Staten Island where you have Meredith "Depot" where they send their express buses to Castleton or whatever for this and that. I can recall a number of times when I lived on Staten Island, getting off the express bus by Clove and Martling and walking home and seeing a numerous express buses going north on Clove Rd, clearly headed to Castleton Depot. At that time, they had Ulmer Park Depot buses too heading there, but that was likely for swaps.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, RSMG106 said:

This is something that was bugging me. Just a minute ago, I saw 9863 from Kingsbridge passing by my house (My house is in East Harlem). This was not the first time I encounter a bus coming from the Bronx. The first time was when a WF bus passed-by. I didn't know the number at the time, but it came out of nowhere. Whether or not 9863 was traveling from Kingsbridge to Manhattan for the start of the M125 route, or for training, I needed to question this?

Bus 9863 just tracked on the Bx10 approaching 263rd.   Meanwhile,  M125 runs out of Tuskegee.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Bus 9863 just tracked on the Bx10 approaching 263rd.   Meanwhile,  M125 runs out of Tuskegee.

I viewed the depot assignment on the M125. 9863 passed-by my home on Saturday, and thought it was running. It turns out it's not in service.

* The M35 doesn't have runs out of Tuskegee Airmen Depot during the PM rush starting today. With the M125 out of there, all the times and buses are out of MCH. They are still a mix of standard and SBS  Xcelsior buses (with 11 Next Gens) . 

* Also, Q70-SBS shows "Fare Free" instead of Fare Required like previous during September 2020. Seen in a FB transit group 290310140_10217130473733260_754444048780

Edited by Calvin

So I’ve made some observations on some of the revamped Bronx today:

The Bx25 seems to be carrying as much passengers as Bx26 buses, though there seems to be an issue with gaps of service. I’m not familiar enough with the route to say if this is a carryover from troubles pre-Bx25. I also noticed that buses were picking up passengers at the discontinued stops. Seems that this is going to be a thing for a while.

The Bx30, south of Gun Hill Rd, are not carrying as much passengers. The Bee-Line routes are still open-door heading to Fordham, so that may have to do with it.

The M125 buses are carrying, which isn’t surprising with the loss of M100 buses east of St Nicholas. Also, it was interesting seeing M100 buses start at St. Nicholas instead of picking up passengers at 125th. I do have to question whoever at the DOT decided to label the southbound M3 stop at 125th as an M100 stop as the M100 buses layover at Hancock Place or at the northbound stop at St Nicholas.

Disclaimer: I only observed these buses during the afternoon, so other people may see different situations outside of those hours.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah those buses lay up over there to avoid the long deadhead from Brooklyn. Same story with the Queens express buses I see. Been like that for years too. Often times my express bus in the morning from Riverdale would pass right by the depot. After a while I sort of put the pieces together as what they were doing there.

Spring Creek's MCIs tend to deadhead over at 100 St for weekdays only like you mentioned, avoiding long times to Brooklyn. On a Saturday, they do deadhead back to the depot (SC) and out again for another scheduled run on their Express portion. 

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

So I’ve made some observations on some of the revamped Bronx today:

The Bx25 seems to be carrying as much passengers as Bx26 buses, though there seems to be an issue with gaps of service. I’m not familiar enough with the route to say if this is a carryover from troubles pre-Bx25. I also noticed that buses were picking up passengers at the discontinued stops. Seems that this is going to be a thing for a while.

The Bx30, south of Gun Hill Rd, are not carrying as much passengers. The Bee-Line routes are still open-door heading to Fordham, so that may have to do with it.

The M125 buses are carrying, which isn’t surprising with the loss of M100 buses east of St Nicholas. Also, it was interesting seeing M100 buses start at St. Nicholas instead of picking up passengers at 125th. I do have to question whoever at the DOT decided to label the southbound M3 stop at 125th as an M100 stop as the M100 buses layover at Hancock Place or at the northbound stop at St Nicholas.

Disclaimer: I only observed these buses during the afternoon, so other people may see different situations outside of those hours.

Any issues with gaps in service on Allerton Avenue will only be exacerbated with the current service split. The problem with the Bx25 is that it's literally half of the pre-redesign Bx26's trips rerouted in Co-op City, rather than a doubling of pre-redesign service levels.

That statement about the Bx30 is anything but unexpected, given that the old Bx7's terminus was effectively in the middle of nowhere, whereas buses running to Fordham would actually help people get around. So long as that holds, I see no reason for Liberty Lines to treat Boston Road in the same manner as Jerome Avenue.

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

Any issues with gaps in service on Allerton Avenue will only be exacerbated with the current service split. The problem with the Bx25 is that it's literally half of the pre-redesign Bx26's trips rerouted in Co-op City, rather than a doubling of pre-redesign service levels.

That statement about the Bx30 is anything but unexpected, given that the old Bx7's terminus was effectively in the middle of nowhere, whereas buses running to Fordham would actually help people get around. So long as that holds, I see no reason for Liberty Lines to treat Boston Road in the same manner as Jerome Avenue.

I only said the last part as there were people speculating that Bee-Line would make the Boston Road segment closed-door, but that was not the case.

4 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I also noticed that buses were picking up passengers at the discontinued stops. Seems that this is going to be a thing for a while.

Nothing shocking there. That's to avoid having pissed off riders. Lots of people somehow are totally unaware of these changes or that a redesign ever existed, even though this process started years ago, and even with the large signs posted at the bus stops about them being discontinued, people don't read.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

Spring Creek's MCIs tend to deadhead over at 100 St for weekdays only like you mentioned, avoiding long times to Brooklyn. On a Saturday, they do deadhead back to the depot (SC) and out again for another scheduled run on their Express portion. 

Yes, Saturdays there is much less service and less deadheading. As a BM user for over ten years, I often times get the same driver going to and from Brooklyn, so you have more trips that go back and forth in service. For the remaining ones, some deadheading is a must.

On the redesigned Bx11 and the bus is crushloaded and started flagging after Claremont Pkwy. This line could use some artics but I’m guessing that w/b turn from Vyse Ave to Boston Rd could be particularly troubling. Not entirely sure if the turn could be done as easily with an artic.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

On the redesigned Bx11 and the bus is crushloaded and started flagging after Claremont Pkwy. This line could use some artics but I’m guessing that w/b turn from Vyse Ave to Boston Rd could be particularly troubling. Not entirely sure if the turn could be done as easily with an artic.

Needs artics or do the buses need to be spaced out better? Artics will do nothing if buses are always running in packs of 3s. 

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

The westbound Bx11 uses Hoe Ave heading up to Boston Road. I doubt that an artic would have trouble making the turn even though the Bx36 didn't make the same turn.

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Needs artics or do the buses need to be spaced out better? Artics will do nothing if buses are always running in packs of 3s. 

There was a dispatcher at Parkchester making sure the buses left on-time. My bus left on time but it was crowded by the time it hit E174 St/Manor Ave as in it was starting to get packed. The bus emptied out at 3-4 points, I believe it was E174 St/Bryant, a bit at Boston Rd/Southern Blvd, was picking up all along Claremont up until Washington Ave when a wheelchair wanted to board and by this time, there was absolutely no space for a wheelchair and the B/O threatened to take the bus OOS if no one moved (got off the bus). A couple of people did end up jumping ship. On the first Clay Ave stop, she starts flagging all the way till we hit Grand Concourse. Bus starts picking up until University Ave/Edward L Grant Highwy where she announces out of nowhere that it's the last stop while a Bx35 is waiting for us up ahead. By the time she took the bus out of service, we were down 10 minutes. I think to an extent it could've been a poorly written schedule but it also could be due to the high volume of passengers crowding the bus leading to a game of unblock me to get on/off. Granted, it was my first time riding the Bx11 so I don't know the full picture but I definitely saw a couple of Parkchester-bound buses in packs of two but that happens with artics or any line for that matter too.   

On 6/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I also noticed that buses were picking up passengers at the discontinued stops. Seems that this is going to be a thing for a while.

I've noticed that too on the Bx3. Maybe there's a grace period or something....

Might as well keep stopping while the lollipop signs are still up.

8 hours ago, NBTA said:

I think they missed an opportunity to extend the Bx30 to Fordham Plaza. It would’ve gave people living in Co-Op City an alternative to the Bx12. 

I think the only thing that stopped it from going to Fordham was the lack of space in Fordham Plaza. The layovers of the Bx15 & 17 cram the parking area. Then again, the MTA wants to put the Q44 on Fordham Plaza so my argument might be moot.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:37 PM, Lex said:

....That statement about the Bx30 is anything but unexpected, given that the old Bx7's terminus was effectively in the middle of nowhere, whereas buses running to Fordham would actually help people get around. So long as that holds, I see no reason for Liberty Lines to treat Boston Road in the same manner as Jerome Avenue.

I get that you're referring to Pelham Pkwy. (2), but I wonder if that (bolded) snippet could be said about either of the old Bx7's terminals.... I cannot recall when Post Road Plaza became a thing... I do remember its popularity in the mid-late 90's (well before it became a dead mall/plaza & before the renovation about the place), but IDK if it was popular, or even existed in the 80's.....

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I think the only thing that stopped it from going to Fordham was the lack of space in Fordham Plaza. The layovers of the Bx15 & 17 cram the parking area. Then again, the MTA wants to put the Q44 on Fordham Plaza so my argument might be moot.

I think the fact that the Bee-lines run (open-door) to Fordham would've still loomed as a deterrent, regardless of the situation at Fordham Plaza in particular....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I get that you're referring to Pelham Pkwy. (2), but I wonder if that (bolded) snippet could be said about either of the old Bx7's terminals.... I cannot recall when Post Road Plaza became a thing... I do remember its popularity in the mid-late 90's (well before it became a dead mall/plaza & before the renovation about the place), but IDK if it was popular, or even existed in the 80's.....

I think the fact that the Bee-lines run (open-door) to Fordham would've still loomed as a deterrent, regardless of the situation at Fordham Plaza in particular....

The only "argument" I have for Bx30 service to Fordham was what if it had late night service, but that's a bit of a stretch. I do see how Co-Op City riders may benefit by having an alternative option for Fordham Plaza service like in the forum post suggested, but I don't think those two routes share the same customers for it to be feasible.

I had a B/O on the Q46 (same one I also posted about in the QUeens Redesign thread) who kept yelling at people to stand behind the white line, even though the black tape over the original white line was coming up so it was hard to tell which white line was the "correct" one. THis made me think, when are they gonna go back to the original while lines already? It doesn't even make sense, since the first seat is unchained now, so you can be sitting in front of the new white line LOL

36 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I had a B/O on the Q46 (same one I also posted about in the QUeens Redesign thread) who kept yelling at people to stand behind the white line, even though the black tape over the original white line was coming up so it was hard to tell which white line was the "correct" one. THis made me think, when are they gonna go back to the original while lines already? It doesn't even make sense, since the first seat is unchained now, so you can be sitting in front of the new white line LOL

The whole thing is stupid. Needed to make a stop after I got my express bus in, so I jumped on a local bus from Columbus Circle. Old man gets on. Maskless driver immediately notes that the guy needs to be behind the white line. I said if he is so about going by the book, he would have his mask on.

39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The whole thing is stupid. Needed to make a stop after I got my express bus in, so I jumped on a local bus from Columbus Circle. Old man gets on. Maskless driver immediately notes that the guy needs to be behind the white line. I said if he is so about going by the book, he would have his mask on.

HA! Can't make this sh*t up

What is with these 40FT Novas having crappy A/C? Rode two of them today, one of them a brand new 8800 that still had the new bus smell, had weak A/C. Transfered to an 2014/2015 Nova and that bus had weak A/C as well.

They got it right with the Cuomo scheme Nova artics which have good A/C, it's just the 40FT Novas (all batches) where the A/C is weak.

New Flyer certainly got Nova beat in the A/C department. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

What is with these 40FT Novas having crappy A/C? Rode two of them today, one of them a brand new 8800 that still had the new bus smell, had weak A/C. Transfered to an 2014/2015 Nova and that bus had weak A/C as well.

They got it right with the Cuomo scheme Nova artics which have good A/C, it's just the 40FT Novas (all batches) where the A/C is weak.

New Flyer certainly got Nova beat in the A/C department. 

None of the new local buses have good AC. I was on one a few days ago. Couldn't feel anything. Luckily, I was only going a few stops.