BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I rode it frequently for a time before covid, after they installed the bus only sections, and it moved nicely and was pretty consistent. Limiting the traffic made a big difference

I agree. I used it a few times along 14th St for the hell of it just to see. I wasn't in a hurry and really could've walked, but I said let's see how this goes. It was good. It seems as if some of my in-person meetings may resume, and if they do in Manhattan, I may decide to take it again since I may not be under any serious time constraints. Sometimes I need to be at meetings, and other times I just pop in to see how the people I manage are performing.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, IchibanTei said:

What's the overall distribution of M14-SBS passengers seeking Avenues A or D? I understand that the objective is to adequately serve 14th Street, but for those who are seeking points on the Lower East Side, it could be rather difficult to reach, specifically Avenue A with how the route schedule is split in a ratio of 2 to 1. Grand Street and Avenue A are traffic prone due to various factors, lowering the reliability of the Avenue A Branch, but in practice there are often 3 buses running along Avenue D to 1 bus running along Avenue A, revealing issues that the MTA should address to improve the M14-SBS.

I've really never really been on the M14A along Avenue A and thought to myself "wow this bus is really crowded we need more service." That being said yes it is annoying that you often have to wait for multiple M14D's before an M14A comes along. But the way I see it is that it should be treated as different routes. Peoples opinions on how long they way change between 2 separate routes on the same path vs 2 branches of the same line. In the end they're both separate routes, but from my experience people typically treat 2 branches of the same route as one route and it makes people more impatient. 

8 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I've really never really been on the M14A along Avenue A and thought to myself "wow this bus is really crowded we need more service." That being said yes it is annoying that you often have to wait for multiple M14D's before an M14A comes along. But the way I see it is that it should be treated as different routes. Peoples opinions on how long they way change between 2 separate routes on the same path vs 2 branches of the same line. In the end they're both separate routes, but from my experience people typically treat 2 branches of the same route as one route and it makes people more impatient. 

I just took a look at the M14 schedule out of curiosity. They must cut some trips unofficially because there is no way that anyone should be waiting 40 minutes for that bus during the day, which I once experienced. The amount of M14D trips can be two or three for every one, but the M14A is still scheduled to run most of the day every ten minutes or less. I've experienced something similar with the M34 where there was no bus (the M34 runs poorly compared to the M34A) and I just decided to walk since I was only walking a handful of blocks. 

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just took a look at the M14 schedule out of curiosity. They must cut some trips unofficially because there is no way that anyone should be waiting 40 minutes for that bus during the day, which I once experienced. The amount of M14D trips can be two or three for every one, but the M14A is still scheduled to run most of the day every ten minutes or less. I've experienced something similar with the M34 where there was no bus (the M34 runs poorly compared to the M34A) and I just decided to walk since I was only walking a handful of blocks. 

Oh yes, the M34 is hot garbage. The waits for that bus are unbelievable sometimes (I've had that for both the 34 and 34A).

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Oh yes, the M34 is hot garbage. The waits for that bus are unbelievable sometimes (I've had that for both the 34 and 34A).

I will usually just walk the few blocks if nothing is coming, but sometimes I am going from the East Side to the West Side. Often times, unless I can time a bus, I was just grab an Uber, which shouldn't be necessary, but is for that line.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't think I've ever had a good experience waiting for any branch of a crosstown route.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, MTAbus677 said:

Quick question, is it a good idea to take the BxM4 going towards Woodlawn to Yankee Stadium during Rush Hour?

Definitely not. I recently took the BXM4 heading up to Woodlawn and it took 30min to go from 149 to MT Eden With the heavy construction they’re doing along concourse 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today on the B103 I seen an ad promoting job openings for the Norfolk, Virginia PD, wtf! That's like an 7 hour drive from NYC.

Because who tf wants to work for the NYPD right now :lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, IAlam said:

I don't think I've ever had a good experience waiting for any branch of a crosstown route.

I don't take crosstown routes for anything other than fanning purposes... I have zero hesitation when it comes to walking laterally through Manhattan.

Living close by the BM3 Express route at Ocean Av, the route has the 2004-07 MCIs (3000-3474 base) and newer Prevost out on the road, Saturdays. Before, they use to pull out 2229-2250 (2008 CT) quite often but stopped it to being weekdays now. 

Edited by Calvin

On 5/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I am stating exactly what the (MTA) has said, which is that masks are still required.

The mask mandate came via a federal regulation. You can't keep it in place with a state regulation unless the state regulation was written to specifically address that situation. It was not.

That is why the MTA is not enforcing it. They can say it is still in place, but the legal framework for it is now dubious and that is why they are not enforcing it. This is why rule by decree is bad. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the decree had to go through a vetting process. That's why our laws are typically debated. We have had enough time to have a robust discussion about masking and other COVID protocols and we refuse to do so. I haven't heard a word about changing the air filters on the buses to a MERV 13-15 spec as yet and that could have a bigger impact than masks.

7 hours ago, JAzumah said:

The mask mandate came via a federal regulation. You can't keep it in place with a state regulation unless the state regulation was written to specifically address that situation. It was not.

That is why the MTA is not enforcing it. They can say it is still in place, but the legal framework for it is now dubious and that is why they are not enforcing it. This is why rule by decree is bad. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the decree had to go through a vetting process. That's why our laws are typically debated. We have had enough time to have a robust discussion about masking and other COVID protocols and we refuse to do so. I haven't heard a word about changing the air filters on the buses to a MERV 13-15 spec as yet and that could have a bigger impact than masks.

Still a moot point. It's not like they were enforcing it before anyway. That doesn't take away from the fact that some drivers absolutely will not allow riders on without a mask. In other words, you are essentially encouraging people not to wear one that may need to take bus without knowing how that will impact them.

Do you still have to make ADAs on the buses with automatic announcements? I was riding a 55 today that clearly had a probie driving, dragging the line like hell, kneeling completely at every stop, stopping on green lights, and he was calling out ADAs even after the automated ones rang out.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:00 PM, trainfan22 said:

Today on the B103 I seen an ad promoting job openings for the Norfolk, Virginia PD, wtf! That's like an 7 hour drive from NYC.

These are on the subway too for the DC police. I heard the idea is to entice people who are tourists to NYC, and NYC gets lots of DC tourists/visitors/family members. Kinda convoluted if you ask me.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:00 PM, trainfan22 said:

I remember seeing an ad on Forest Ave for the San Francisco Police Department. I’m not sure if it’s still there though.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Do you still have to make ADAs on the buses with automatic announcements? I was riding a 55 today that clearly had a probie driving, dragging the line like hell, kneeling completely at every stop, stopping on green lights, and he was calling out ADAs even after the automated ones rang out.

Only if the announcement is incorrect do we need to correct it

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Still a moot point. It's not like they were enforcing it before anyway. That doesn't take away from the fact that some drivers absolutely will not allow riders on without a mask. In other words, you are essentially encouraging people not to wear one that may need to take bus without knowing how that will impact them.

I am encouraging agencies like the MTA not to engage in political sleight of hand so that people will trust them. It will be extremely important in the next phase of their existence.

I want people to manage their own personal risk to COVID. N95s are the only masks that provide quality risk reduction. The blue masks are largely cosmetic. It should be totally optional and N95s should be officially recommended.

33 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

I am encouraging agencies like the MTA not to engage in political sleight of hand so that people will trust them. It will be extremely important in the next phase of their existence.

I want people to manage their own personal risk to COVID. N95s are the only masks that provide quality risk reduction. The blue masks are largely cosmetic. It should be totally optional and N95s should be officially recommended.

Well I guess you are a new (MTA) Board member now that you have sway on the decisions they make... lol Anyway, this has been discussed. They expect people to conduct themselves accordingly and wear a mask or face covering where required in the system, regardless of whether it's a mask, a bandana or what have you. That is the way it's been since the beginning and they are not going around and enforcing this, but expecting people to police themselves and do the right thing. In some instances they will hand out masks and remind people or make them available.

6 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Have any bus operators ever received an apple award? There’s ads about it on every bus schedule but I doubt many people actually call or file a positive review online of a bus operator.

A bus operator was complimented in my group. He posted what he received. It was an acknowledgement, not an Apple award and it seems that even the presentation of such things are done differently now. 

4 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I hope soon they drop the federal mandate for mask all together. At this point a lot of people are doing what they want and of course with the MTA nothing is seriously enforced anyways. That’s why on the Q85 that I rode the other day to Jamaica more than half the people who boarded never paid and half of them didn’t wear mask. 

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Have any bus operators ever received an apple award? There’s ads about it on every bus schedule but I doubt many people actually call or file a positive review online of a bus operator.

I’ve gotten two during my time as an operator. It’s different now as @Via Garibaldi 8said. A lot of compliments / commendations come through Twitter and it’s like an acknowledgment. You get like a certificate. Not sure if they still give out apples with those or if even doing the whole formal call with 511 will give you the Apple. 

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I hope soon they drop the federal mandate for mask all together. At this point a lot of people are doing what they want and of course with the MTA nothing is seriously enforced anyways. That’s why on the Q85 that I rode the other day to Jamaica more than half the people who boarded never paid and half of them didn’t wear mask. 

The federal mask mandate is dead and buried. A court knocked it out in mid-April. Hence, the MTA was told to use the state law as justification for continuing the mandate.

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well I guess you are a new (MTA) Board member now that you have sway on the decisions they make... lol

It's science. The N95 masks provide a 45-60% reduction of the risk of getting COVID. That compares to 3% for cloth masks and around 11% for the blue masks. People who are immunocompromised can wear them and protect themselves in crowded spaces without the assistance of anyone else. At this point, the powers that be have enough info to help people reduce their risk on an individualized basis. I would recommend that the MTA monitor international best practices regarding current COVID mitigation and decouple from politicians that just want "visual symbols" of being vigilant.