BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

And the worst part is that he's not the only one. I remember during the summer, it was raining, so instead of walking home from the S93, I went to that shelter in the CSI loop and waited for the S92 (he was coming in a few minutes, or else I would've just walked). He heard me yelling from across the street (the light was against me), and he kept on going. :mad:

That's the one thing about SI B/Os that I don't get. They're either flying down the street as if they're in a rush to get somewhere running past stops, or they're 20 minutes late. You get a handful of them that actually know how to stick to the schedule and stop where they're supposed to stop to pick folks up or let them off. It will be really interesting to see how things are when bus tracking comes into play. The last X10 on Sunday nights back to Staten Island, the guy drives like he's in a rush to get home or something. He stops in all awkward sorts of places to let folks off and I'm thinking this guy is arriving like 15-20 minutes early and you know at that time there is no traffic so what in the hell is he rushing for? :mad: I mean if you're late I can see you flooring it like that, but he let me off at the corner of Slosson right where the service road is and there is no sidewalk there. I'm thinking why in the hell do I have to get out here when the bus stop is right across the street where there is a sidewalk and it is much safer? He kept flying by stops. He flew by the stop there at Hylan when the person had clearly requested the stop and I heard the bell too, but he was going so fast that he had to stop and let them off there with all of the weeds and sh*t there where the X1 turns off at, which meant they had to basically walk in the street and risk being hit by oncoming traffic, which is very possible with it being so dark over there and cars flying and such. Folks should not be walking on a friggin' service road because the B/O can't stop at the designated stops where it is safe.

Plenty of drivers drive fast and aren't reckless like that. Him stopping at the actual the bus stop and letting people off in a safe place at that time of night could certainly be done and he would still get back to the depot nice and early. I think sometimes they just become absorbed with flooring it and forget that there are passengers on board. :P

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the one thing about SI B/Os that I don't get. They're either flying down the street as if they're in a rush to get somewhere running past stops, or they're 20 minutes late. You get a handful of them that actually know how to stick to the schedule and stop where they're supposed to stop to pick folks up or let them off. It will be really interesting to see how things are when bus tracking comes into play. The last X10 on Sunday nights back to Staten Island, the guy drives like he's in a rush to get home or something. He stops in all awkward sorts of places to let folks off and I'm thinking this guy is arriving like 15-20 minutes early and you know at that time there is no traffic so what in the hell is he rushing for? :mad: I mean if you're late I can see you flooring it like that, but he let me off at the corner of Slosson right where the service road is and there is no sidewalk there. I'm thinking why in the hell do I have to get out here when the bus stop is right across the street where there is a sidewalk and it is much safer? He kept flying by stops. He flew by the stop there at Hylan when the person had clearly requested the stop and I heard the bell too, but he was going so fast that he had to stop and let them off there with all of the weeds and sh*t there where the X1 turns off at, which meant they had to basically walk in the street and risk being hit by oncoming traffic, which is very possible with it being so dark over there and cars flying and such. Folks should not be walking on a friggin' service road because the B/O can't stop at the designated stops where it is safe.

Plenty of drivers drive fast and aren't reckless like that. Him stopping at the actual the bus stop and letting people off in a safe place at that time of night could certainly be done and he would still get back to the depot nice and early. I think sometimes they just become absorbed with flooring it and forget that there are passengers on board. :P

Well, last night, it was 18:22, and there was supposed to be a bus due at 18:11 and 18:26. I could see him being a late 18:11 because of some problem at St. George (sometimes, that particular run comes a little bit late), so in that case, I could sort of see it.

But in the case when it was raining, there was no excuse. He was 3 minutes late, but still, he passed a passenger when it was raining (especially considering it's not too hard to make up the 3 minutes, and the only place where people are really waiting is at Richmond Avenue). I mean, the least he could've done was wait for me to cross the street.

As far as your X10 goes, I see no problem with arriving 15-20 minutes early once he's in SI, since nobody is waiting for him. I mean, letting people off in the weeds is a bit extreme, but running a couple of lights isn't so bad.

Women were bugging out on the M2 today, black woman and an Asian woman got into a fight around 42nd street over so seat or some stupid ish. They start screaming at each other, then they get onto this topic about which they country they were from, I don't know. Black woman had a real thick Jamaican accent, and the Asian woman had a really strong Chinese accent. So we spend a couple minutes with the two of them arguing over seats (even though they both had one) until the Asian woman goes "YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO AFRICA!"

And now everybody on the bus, myself included, just goes ughhhh, universal noise of disgust. Like this broad really had to go there with the most cliched racist phrase. This other black woman hears this and gets up to start yelling too, I was gonna say something but I was laughing too hard...

So now the black woman loses it completely, starts screaming "you racist sonofabeesh, you look at me and you think you know where I come from" and the Asian woman still keeps screaming. After all this we get the B/O, who I swear to god looked like just like Forest Whitaker (glasses, everything), and he was a good guy. He was real calm about it, talked to both of them, ended up throwing the Asian woman off the bus(!), she still screaming too.

End of the ride Forest-B/O stopped the black woman and he sounded like one of those grade-school teachers, says "I'd like to have a word with you for a moment" and he gives her some sorta talking to. And the best part was the black woman was cool with it too, he was just a calm, smart customer. Great B/O, typical NYC though.

Ahhhh.... It's funny you know... I have some Asian friends (Korean, Chinese, etc), but they have a stigma about dark skinned folks because apparently in many Asian countries, if you're dark, it usually means that you're poor, and work in the fields in the hot sun, similar to what the darker skinned black slaves did back in the day, while the lighter, mixed folks worked inside out of the sun and in less strenuous conditions, so that's partially where their disdain for blacks comes from to a degree. Not saying all Asians are racist, but some certainly are. My friend Dave is Chinese and his mother is most certainly racist. She went crazy once when he had a dark skinned person over to the house and started going off in Chinese and my friend Dave was like "Mom, he's just a friend". Part of it is ignorance though I suppose. The funny thing is though you have dark skinned Indians and such and they're Asian so I wonder what they think of them? From what I've seen they all get along generally, but who knows... :eek:

I just saw another crowded (2) shuttle bus pass by... it's barely 7 AM... I really hope this is not going to set a tone for the whole day.

Forget an LFSA, looks like I'll have to be lucky just to see an LFS. Right now I've just been seeing RTSes (from Flatbush, I'm guessing) and New Flyer CNGs from Gleason.

EDIT: What's funny is that in the last hour, all the (2) shuttle buses were crowded and now they're all not-as-crowded.

Right as I'm typing this, I see an Orion V CNG on the (2) shuttle bus. Pretty interesting.

Also, dumb question. About the shuttle bus: Am I going to get on for free, and then pay at Franklin, or pay now and get on for free at Franklin?

I'm asking because I have two Metrocards that look exactly the same and I have to specifically use one of them. If I could save myself the trouble of walking over to Nostrand Ave to check which card is which at the train station and then walk back over to the shuttle bus at New York Avenue, I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I saw RTS #9123 from Fresh Pond on the (2) shuttle today. I thought Ulmer Park, Gleason, and Flatbush would have been more than enough to make service. Insread of that Fresh Pond bus, there should have been more Orion V CNGs or LFSes :drool:

(For the record, I did see two LFSes; I would've loved to wait for them but I didn't have the time. I didn't see the Orion V that I saw early yesterday morning)

Oh, and yesterday when I was coming home we passed by this angry old lady at Linden Blvd (you see, in front of us there were two B44 Limited buses, I was on a shuttle bus and there was another shuttle bus behind us) It must really suck to see 4 buses in a row all skipping your stop B)

I was lucky and caught the S89 as it was pulling into the stop. At Walker Street, I intended to walk to school, but I saw an S46 making the turn onto Morningstar Road, so I banged on the door. He didn't let me in, so I ran down Morningstar Road and caught him at the next light. The light turned green, but I banged on the door, and he started shouting that there was no room, but eventually he let me in. (Had I not caught him, I would've just walked in through the back entrance of my school, which was the next stop).

Going back, I ran to Forest Avenue because the next S44 wasn't scheduled for 10 more minutes, and I figured I could catch an S59. The bus showed up 8 minutes late, but I wouldn't have made it if it was early anyway. I saw an S44 waiting for the light to change, so I figured it would pass the S59 (since it would take the mall riders plus those going south of the mall), but the bus turned out to be a tripper, and it was the wrong decision to let the S59 pass (it only cost me a couple of minutes, but still)

I was lucky and caught the S89 as it was pulling into the stop. At Walker Street, I intended to walk to school, but I saw an S46 making the turn onto Morningstar Road, so I banged on the door. He didn't let me in, so I ran down Morningstar Road and caught him at the next light. The light turned green, but I banged on the door, and he started shouting that there was no room, but eventually he let me in. (Had I not caught him, I would've just walked in through the back entrance of my school, which was the next stop).

Going back, I ran to Forest Avenue because the next S44 wasn't scheduled for 10 more minutes, and I figured I could catch an S59. The bus showed up 8 minutes late, but I wouldn't have made it if it was early anyway. I saw an S44 waiting for the light to change, so I figured it would pass the S59 (since it would take the mall riders plus those going south of the mall), but the bus turned out to be a tripper, and it was the wrong decision to let the S59 pass (it only cost me a couple of minutes, but still)

Hearing your stories on the Staten Island local buses is why I avoid them at all costs. I had a nice peaceful ride on the X30 sans the black lady with the stinking perfume on. Just moved to the left side and that problem was solved. Listened to some tunes and then went to sleep. :cool:

Hearing your stories on the Staten Island local buses is why I avoid them at all costs. I had a nice peaceful ride on the X30 sans the black lady with the stinking perfume on. Just moved to the left side and that problem was solved. Listened to some tunes and then went to sleep. :cool:

LOL. In many ways, a 45 minute commute on the express bus is more tolerable than a 25 minute commute on the local bus. You get a comfortable seat and sit back.

So to continue my story, I got lucky and the S92 came a few minutes late, which meant that I was able to catch it as it was coming out of the CSI loop. :cool: :tup:

Monday was the best day in terms of 'rare' buses. In a 30 min span along Utica and Flatbush Avs, I spotted the following buses: 9644 [*engine], 8756, 8912, 9491, 9080. Not bad at all.

Funny you mention those specifics- I had 9644 last week Tuesday on 41/46 split-run; had 8756 on Sunday afternoon for my first half on the B44, which was a rocket bus; and 8912 on Thursday afternoon on the B41, which was a great bus, too, except the radio was busted. lol It sucks making your ADA announcements without the PA.

Ahhhh.... It's funny you know... I have some Asian friends (Korean, Chinese, etc), but they have a stigma about dark skinned folks because apparently in many Asian countries, if you're dark, it usually means that you're poor, and work in the fields in the hot sun, similar to what the darker skinned black slaves did back in the day, while the lighter, mixed folks worked inside out of the sun and in less strenuous conditions, so that's partially where their disdain for blacks comes from to a degree. Not saying all Asians are racist, but some certainly are. My friend Dave is Chinese and his mother is most certainly racist. She went crazy once when he had a dark skinned person over to the house and started going off in Chinese and my friend Dave was like "Mom, he's just a friend". Part of it is ignorance though I suppose. The funny thing is though you have dark skinned Indians and such and they're Asian so I wonder what they think of them? From what I've seen they all get along generally, but who knows... :eek:

This reminds me: Over the summer, I remember taking the S92 back home, and there was the opposite situation: A Black woman was ranting the whole trip about how the other woman should go back to China and made comments about Chinese food and Bruce Lee.

This reminds me: Over the summer, I remember taking the S92 back home, and there was the opposite situation: A Black woman was ranting the whole trip about how the other woman should go back to China and made comments about Chinese food and Bruce Lee.

lol... The thing is when black folks do it they think it's okay for some reason when they're just a racist as the next folks are... I've seen blacks do it on a number of occasions calling folks honkies and such and me personally I've been told to "Stay white", to which I reply "Don't worry I will". lol

Once I was called a "brotha" by these dark skinned black guys and then one of them said "Heh, brotha????" They got more white in them than anything. I just chuckled to myself and thought, yeah that's because my father is white, which explains my tan complexion... LOL But I tell you, it can be fun being mixed. The Latinos think I'm Hispanic like you did and I've even had old ladies come up to me on the street. Once I was in Williamsburg and this elderly Hispanic lady comes up to me, looks me over as if she's confirming that I'm Hispanic and then proceeds to ask me the time in Spanish and waited for me to reply, as if to say yeah I know you speak Spanish. LOL Of course I do, so I replied in Spanish, but it was just funny though. I mean I've even been considered a "traitor" by some Latinos who think I'm just a wannabe gringo who is really Latino. B) Then there are the Italians who know I'm Italian and some who can't believe I'm Italian because they're ignorant @ssholes... You're Italian??? No, you must be Hispanic or Brazilian... LOL

The times that I've been in Washington Heights have been comical as well. I had to tutor a few Latino kids up there and I go into a store to get a drink and of course it's all Dominican, so they're looking me over, but I refuse to say anything in English or Spanish, so they ring me up and I see the amount and then pay and still don't say anything. I've had a few Dominicans swear up and down that I must be Dominican and I'm like uh no I'm not.... LOL

lol... The thing is when black folks do it they think it's okay for some reason when they're just a racist as the next folks are... I've seen blacks do it on a number of occasions calling folks honkies and such and me personally I've been told to "Stay white", to which I reply "Don't worry I will". lol

Once I was called a "brotha" by these dark skinned black guys and then one of them said "Heh, brotha????" They got more white in them than anything. I just chuckled to myself and thought, yeah that's because my father is white, which explains my tan complexion... LOL But I tell you, it can be fun being mixed. The Latinos think I'm Hispanic like you did and I've even had old ladies come up to me on the street. Once I was in Williamsburg and this elderly Hispanic lady comes up to me, looks me over as if she's confirming that I'm Hispanic and then proceeds to ask me the time in Spanish and waited for me to reply, as if to say yeah I know you speak Spanish. LOL Of course I do, so I replied in Spanish, but it was just funny though. I mean I've even been considered a "traitor" by some Latinos who think I'm just a wannabe gringo who is really Latino. B) Then there are the Italians who know I'm Italian and some who can't believe I'm Italian because they're ignorant @ssholes... You're Italian??? No, you must be Hispanic or Brazilian... LOL

The times that I've been in Washington Heights have been comical as well. I had to tutor a few Latino kids up there and I go into a store to get a drink and of course it's all Dominican, so they're looking me over, but I refuse to say anything in English or Spanish, so they ring me up and I see the amount and then pay and still don't say anything. I've had a few Dominicans swear up and down that I must be Dominican and I'm like uh no I'm not.... LOL

Yeah, I find it annoying when people act like they know your ancestry. It's understandable (obviously) if you haven't told them that beforehand, but if you tell them, then it's final.

So anyway, this morning, I missed the S89 (I assume so because it was 3 minutes after it was supposed to come and I only saw one of the regulars waiting there). So 2 X17Js come and there's the S44 behind it, so he makes the motion to come in front of the buses and waits for me there. At the next stop, a girl that usually takes the S44 ran up to the bus, but she didn't tap on the door or anything, so the driver must've assumed she wanted another bus. I would've said something, but I was exhausted.

So at Walker Street, I see the S96 pulling out, and I run into the middle of the intersection (it's a narrow one) and tap on the door, but she doesn't let me in, so I run down Morningstar Road, hoping to catch her at the next light. She misses the light, and I catch up and tap on the door again, and she still doesn't open it. So I grab hold of the door (it was an Orion 5, so there's rubber between the 2 doors) so she has to stop (if she had kept on moving, I would've let go, but I know she's not going to move when she's in that position).

So I grab onto the door, and she says "Let go", and I do so thinking she'll open the door for me, but instead she starts moving again, so I grab on again. She says it again and says "Let go or I'll call the cops", and I still hang on because it would be stupid on her part (the cops are at least 5 minutes away, and in that time I could floor it and get to school). At that point, I'm holding on to prove a point, and eventually I let go because I need to get to school.

One of my friends on the bus said she started cursing and saying "The f*cking kid probably doesn't understand English. He probably speaks Mexican or something".

But I still don't see what she gained by not letting me on. I mean, she spent more time trying to stop me than if she had just let me on. There was the chance I would've been in front of the line, but it would've only been for a few stops anyway (and I always push myself behind the line anyway).

Going back, I ran from school down to Forest Avenue (I'm not sure if I missed the S44), and I caught the S59. I thought I was going to miss him, but he pulled over to make a phone call (it looked like it was to the depot or something because he used that telephone near the driver's seat), so I was able to get on.

Yeah, I find it annoying when people act like they know your ancestry. It's understandable (obviously) if you haven't told them that beforehand, but if you tell them, then it's final.

So anyway, this morning, I missed the S89 (I assume so because it was 3 minutes after it was supposed to come and I only saw one of the regulars waiting there). So 2 X17Js come and there's the S44 behind it, so he makes the motion to come in front of the buses and waits for me there. At the next stop, a girl that usually takes the S44 ran up to the bus, but she didn't tap on the door or anything, so the driver must've assumed she wanted another bus. I would've said something, but I was exhausted.

So at Walker Street, I see the S96 pulling out, and I run into the middle of the intersection (it's a narrow one) and tap on the door, but she doesn't let me in, so I run down Morningstar Road, hoping to catch her at the next light. She misses the light, and I catch up and tap on the door again, and she still doesn't open it. So I grab hold of the door (it was an Orion 5, so there's rubber between the 2 doors) so she has to stop (if she had kept on moving, I would've let go, but I know she's not going to move when she's in that position).

So I grab onto the door, and she says "Let go", and I do so thinking she'll open the door for me, but instead she starts moving again, so I grab on again. She says it again and says "Let go or I'll call the cops", and I still hang on because it would be stupid on her part (the cops are at least 5 minutes away, and in that time I could floor it and get to school). At that point, I'm holding on to prove a point, and eventually I let go because I need to get to school.

One of my friends on the bus said she started cursing and saying "The f*cking kid probably doesn't understand English. He probably speaks Mexican or something".

But I still don't see what she gained by not letting me on. I mean, she spent more time trying to stop me than if she had just let me on. There was the chance I would've been in front of the line, but it would've only been for a few stops anyway (and I always push myself behind the line anyway).

Going back, I ran from school down to Forest Avenue (I'm not sure if I missed the S44), and I caught the S59. I thought I was going to miss him, but he pulled over to make a phone call (it looked like it was to the depot or something because he used that telephone near the driver's seat), so I was able to get on.

Something sort of like that happened to me on the M15 select. I was going northbound, getting on either at 23rd, and the bus is already there with the doors open and the light just turned red. I take my time getting a ticket, and then the doors close while the light's still red, so I go to the front and tap on the door.

She turns, gives me a "wtf?" look, the light turns green, and she starts to slowly accelerate. I start walking with the bus and tap harder on the door, but she keeps accelerating. I scream out "YO!" loudly, making everyone on the street turn around, and then a nice hard hit to the side window did the trick and she stopped and let me on.

There was traffic up ahead and if she didn't stop I could've out ran her to 28th or wherever that next stop and I definitely would've ran my mouth at her.

Something sort of like that happened to me on the M15 select. I was going northbound, getting on either at 23rd, and the bus is already there with the doors open and the light just turned red. I take my time getting a ticket, and then the doors close while the light's still red, so I go to the front and tap on the door.

She turns, gives me a "wtf?" look, the light turns green, and she starts to slowly accelerate. I start walking with the bus and tap harder on the door, but she keeps accelerating. I scream out "YO!" loudly, making everyone on the street turn around, and then a nice hard hit to the side window did the trick and she stopped and let me on.

There was traffic up ahead and if she didn't stop I could've out ran her to 28th or wherever that next stop and I definitely would've ran my mouth at her.

I'm surprised she stopped for you. I mean, if she's the type of person to close the door while you're getting a ticket, she's probably the type of person to keep going to the next stop. I guess when she heard you shout "Yo!", she knew that she'd get an earful at the next stop.

So did you say anything once you got on?

I'm surprised she stopped for you. I mean, if she's the type of person to close the door while you're getting a ticket, she's probably the type of person to keep going to the next stop. I guess when she heard you shout "Yo!", she knew that she'd get an earful at the next stop.

So did you say anything once you got on?

Nah, I didn't say anything. I just gave her a dirty look and took a seat in the back. I was surprised that she actually stopped also.

Funny you mention those specifics- I had 9644 last week Tuesday on 41/46 split-run; had 8756 on Sunday afternoon for my first half on the B44, which was a rocket bus; and 8912 on Thursday afternoon on the B41, which was a great bus, too, except the radio was busted. lol It sucks making your ADA announcements without the PA.
Cool! Those old buses still runs great, just like wine, they get better with age.

I haven't seen 9612 for a few weeks, but to me it sounds like it has a different engine noise (acceleration) compared to the other 9600s, though i could be mistaken.

lol, I can imagine.

LMAO... She was obviously on her period... Friggin' p*****a... LOL... :) I told you I had this wise guy B/O on the M3. He sees a bunch of people there waiting at the Union Square East stop. At that time the DOT had forgot to put an M3 sign for some reason or another, so he calls himself being a w*se ass and he pulls into the far left lane as if to say yeah I know there's really a stop here but since it isn't physically shown here I'm going to blow by, even though he saw a ton of people putting their hand out. I mean he was no rookie, so I know that he knew that that is a stop. Anyway, I fixed his @ss good. I said that's okay. An M2 came I got on it and caught up to him at 42nd street and then proceed to get on his bus and rode it one stop just to put a wrench in his @ss. He could've sh*t a brick in his pants when he saw me. I gave him a look like you friggin' prick and he felt cheap as hell because of course he never expected me to catch up to him. That's why it's never a good idea to go running off like that, especially if you're an express bus driver. I've given B/Os an earful if they know I'm a regular and they go blowing by the stop when they know that I'm getting on. :mad: