BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not get flagged at all this week, feels good man. :cool:

Ok, I purchased a Alarm Clock, so in a nutshell, I just left home earlier.

The run that was usually flagging me I got on today, but thing is, I walked up to the subway station this morning rather that my usual stop, I missed the bus I have catching on the regular this week so just walked to the subway stop (Newkirk Av on the Brighton)... because its nearly impossible to get flagged at that stop due to the fact that someone always has to get off there lol.

Still annoying middle age woman "co pilots" on the bus though. :mad:

With that being said, I hate the fact pretty much all of the south BK bus routes get caught in a traffic jam in some shape or form during the afternoon hours... ugh...

I did not get flagged at all this week, feels good man. :cool:

Ok, I purchased a Alarm Clock, so in a nutshell, I just left home earlier.

The run that was usually flagging me I got on today, but thing is, I walked up to the subway station this morning rather that my usual stop, I missed the bus I have catching on the regular this week so just walked to the subway stop (Newkirk Av on the Brighton)... because its nearly impossible to get flagged at that stop due to the fact that someone always has to get off there lol.

Still annoying middle age woman "co pilots" on the bus though. :mad:

With that being said, I hate the fact pretty much all of the south BK bus routes get caught in a traffic jam in some shape or form during the afternoon hours... ugh...

Sorry, but what does flagging mean?

If I'm not mistaken it's when a bus passes you by when you're waiting at a bus stop. trainfan22 seems to have a disproportionate number of flagging experiences with the B8.

Really? He says that as if it's a common thing, but I've never had anything happen like that to me ever.

If I'm not mistaken it's when a bus passes you by when you're waiting at a bus stop. trainfan22 seems to have a disproportionate number of flagging experiences with the B8.

Really? I always thought flagging meant you 'waived' at a b/o to get their attention to make a stop. In my case sometimes the Q35 doesn't always stop at its locations because it is 'assumed' the B41 will just pick us up to the subway terminal at Nostrand.

Really? I always thought flagging meant you 'waived' at a b/o to get their attention to make a stop.

If I'm not mistaken it's when a bus passes you by when you're waiting at a bus stop.

Gorgor....

Combine these 2 answers, and that's what flagging is.....

In my case sometimes the Q35 doesn't always stop at its locations because it is 'assumed' the B41 will just pick us up to the subway terminal at Nostrand.

that can be an example, but a less likely one....

a passenger in most cases doesn't get flagged, due to an assumption a b/o might make.....

I just saw an LFSA on the (2) shuttle!! :drool:

Bus #1273, one of the wrapped-up buses! I can die in peace now.

I'm trying to edit the bus map on Adobe Illustrator, but it's not going quite so well. I'll get the hang of it, though. And when I do, my first map will be an SBS-filled abomination ;)

EDIT: Saw another LFSA. 1252 this time.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I just saw an LFSA on the (2) shuttle!! :drool:

Bus #1273, one of the wrapped-up buses! I can die in peace now.

I'm trying to edit the bus map on Adobe Illustrator, but it's not going quite so well. I'll get the hang of it, though. And when I do, my first map will be an SBS-filled abomination ;)

EDIT: Saw another LFSA. 1252 this time.

You are very lucky that you live in Brooklyn. This weekend is going to have a lot of shuttle buses. (1)(2)(7)(A)(L) lines. Now I have to see if I can finally catch an LFSA.

LMAO... She was obviously on her period... Friggin' p*****a... LOL... ;) I told you I had this wise guy B/O on the M3. He sees a bunch of people there waiting at the Union Square East stop. At that time the DOT had forgot to put an M3 sign for some reason or another, so he calls himself being a w*se ass and he pulls into the far left lane as if to say yeah I know there's really a stop here but since it isn't physically shown here I'm going to blow by, even though he saw a ton of people putting their hand out. I mean he was no rookie, so I know that he knew that that is a stop. Anyway, I fixed his @ss good. I said that's okay. An M2 came I got on it and caught up to him at 42nd street and then proceed to get on his bus and rode it one stop just to put a wrench in his @ss. He could've sh*t a brick in his pants when he saw me. I gave him a look like you friggin' prick and he felt cheap as hell because of course he never expected me to catch up to him. That's why it's never a good idea to go running off like that, especially if you're an express bus driver. I've given B/Os an earful if they know I'm a regular and they go blowing by the stop when they know that I'm getting on. :mad:

Well, she was probably shocked when she saw me run up to her bus. I don't recall having that driver, so she doesn't realize what I'm capable of. People keep on asking me why I don't join the track team, knowing how fast I run.

But hopefully she learned her lesson. If she sees me again, hopefully she'll either let me on or she'll have the same thing happen to her. The same thing for another S46 earlier this week (except this one actually let me on, and I didn't have to resort to holding the door)

Gorgor....

Combine these 2 answers, and that's what flagging is.....

that can be an example, but a less likely one....

a passenger in most cases doesn't get flagged, due to an assumption a b/o might make.....

It's also generally used when the bus is too crowded to stop (the other 2 posters left that part out, though that could've been deduced from trainfan's post).

The reason why he hasn't been flagged yet is probably because the buses on the UES have to pretty much stop at every stop, since in Manhattan, there's almost always somebody getting off.

That, and the bus driver probably feels that, being in such a politically powerful area, if he flags the wrong person, he could get in trouble. I remember my dad said once he was on the M31, and the B/O pulled up to a bus stop, and a man was standing idly by. The B/O opened the door and tapped the horn, and waited for the guy to wave him on before pulling out.

Now if you're in an area like Elm Park (or anywhere else where the riders aren't likely to complain), the worse that could realistically happen is that the passenger does what I did.

Then again, I remember reading an article about a guy who got flagged (it was late at night and towards the beginning of the route, so presumably it wasn't crowded), and the guy ran up and hit the B/O with a Snapple bottle. But again, that's unlikely to happen.

Really? He says that as if it's a common thing, but I've never had anything happen like that to me ever.

It is a common thing, the buses just don't be having space for anymore peeps, so they just keep on rollin rollin rollin' past the stop with riders waiting as there is no room for them to get on. That's the reason why I want to see the B8 go back to ENY, when it comes to crowding, RTS >>>> all the buses in JG except for the 98/9900s and they only have a little bit of them.

I'm pretty sure flagging is common on those subway feeder routes in Queens and the Jamaica/Flushing LI Bus routes, I would be SHOCKED if its not. Esp with the LF buses. I seen it happen on the M60 once as well...

The reason why he hasn't been flagged yet is probably because the buses on the UES have to pretty much stop at every stop, since in Manhattan, there's almost always somebody getting off.

That, and the bus driver probably feels that, being in such a politically powerful area, if he flags the wrong person, he could get in trouble. I remember my dad said once he was on the M31, and the B/O pulled up to a bus stop, and a man was standing idly by. The B/O opened the door and tapped the horn, and waited for the guy to wave him on before pulling out.

Now if you're in an area like Elm Park (or anywhere else where the riders aren't likely to complain), the worse that could realistically happen is that the passenger does what I did.

Then again, I remember reading an article about a guy who got flagged (it was late at night and towards the beginning of the route, so presumably it wasn't crowded), and the guy ran up and hit the B/O with a Snapple bottle. But again, that's unlikely to happen.

Regarding your story with your dad and the M31, I honestly thought that it was regular policy to do so. I've only ridden buses on the UES plus the X90/X92 and M15 SBS, but from what I've noticed is that if there's anyone close to a bus stop just standing around the bus will go into the bus stop, but unless the guy turns his attention to the bus or starts walking towards it then he'll just speed off again. Opening up the doors and honking is rare but I've seen it a couple times.

Regarding your story with your dad and the M31, I honestly thought that it was regular policy to do so. I've only ridden buses on the UES plus the X90/X92 and M15 SBS, but from what I've noticed is that if there's anyone close to a bus stop just standing around the bus will go into the bus stop, but unless the guy turns his attention to the bus or starts walking towards it then he'll just speed off again. Opening up the doors and honking is rare but I've seen it a couple times.

The driver was probably just being overly cautious. He said to my dad that he likes the route and it's better to be safe than sorry. But I'm sure drivers are generally more cautious in an area like the UES than in most outer borough neighborhoods, because again, the riders are more likely to report them.

The driver was probably just being overly cautious. He said to my dad that he likes the route and it's better to be safe than sorry. But I'm sure drivers are generally more cautious in an area like the UES than in most outer borough neighborhoods, because again, the riders are more likely to report them.

Yeah, and considering how the bus stops are only 2-3 blocks apart the driver would definitely hear a mouth full from whoever he missed and the people up front would probably chime in and all verbally gang up on the bus driver. I'm not sure if any would report it, but that can be enough to discourage bus usage and make more people start taking cabs, and they might even joke about it and say "I'll take a cab, that [explicative] isn't gonna stop anyways."

Yeah, and considering how the bus stops are only 2-3 blocks apart the driver would definitely hear a mouth full from whoever he missed and the people up front would probably chime in and all verbally gang up on the bus driver. I'm not sure if any would report it, but that can be enough to discourage bus usage and make more people start taking cabs, and they might even joke about it and say "I'll take a cab, that [explicative] isn't gonna stop anyways."

Well, the MTA probably instructs the B/Os to drive more carefully in that area because like you said, if they get fed up with the bus service, they'll just start taking cabs and the MTA will lose out on their revenue. That isn't the case in the outer boroughs, as cabs are less available and the riders are less likely to be able to afford to drive.

Can we avoid categorizing Manhattan as all being equal to the Upper East Side?

If the M2 skips me on 110th, I'm walking, ain't no cabs for $2.25...

UES, you just know that some jerk is gonna complain, which is probably why the B/Os don't wanna have to go through with that... Nowhere else in the five boroughs like that!

Alright, then expand the definition of "outer boroughs" to include Upper Manhattan, as well as Chinatown, the LES, and a few areas on the Far West Side.

Yeah, I know that much of East Harlem and Washington Heights are nothing like the UES in terms of demographics (even though tEast Harlem is right next to the UES), but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.