BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I boarded inside the Bx41 this afternoon (heading to The Hub), a female passenger asked the B/O if "this" was the Bx55. His response was that the Bx55 doesn't operate weekends at all. She was then mad because she had a transfer from the Bx41 (possibly Williamsbridge bound), and he responded that the weekend Bx55 to Gun Hill Rd hasn't operated for 3 years.

The (MTA) should look into putting an officer or two at Nostrand Av and Fulton St bus stop. Seems to be one of the premier "enter-through-the-back-door" stops on the B44.

Also, today, Con Ed was doing construction (construction as in, the entire area was inaccessible) on the near side of Nostrand Av and DeKalb Avenue where the bus stop was located, so everybody just waited on the far side of Nostrand & DeKalb instead.

Basically, the local came first, so everybody piled on that, and it quickly became pretty crowded. We were making almost every stop. I was waiting to see how long it would be until a Limited passed us. It wasn't all the way until we were between Empire Blvd and Clarkson Av, around Midwood St. Between Midwood St and Church Av though, two more Limited buses passed us after that.

Yesterday, when I was at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, there were four B46s lined up together (compared to only one B44) which makes me think of the thread "Horrible Weekday Service on the B46" ironically.

In fact, yesterday evening on the B44 Limited, people at Flushing, Myrtle, and Dekalb all passed up the local bus in front of us just to get on the Limited. Couple that to the fact the bus was already getting pretty full after the first two stops (Williamsburg Bridge Plaza and South 8th St) and we were already SRO by Dekalb Ave.

Honestly, I thought that the Limited out of Williamsburg Bridge Plaza would be pretty empty until Flushing Av or something. I was pretty wrong on that count. :P

Ran to catch the (late) 18:00 N79 only to find the driver outside talking on his cell phone. He waved his hand and told me to get on the bus. No problem, I thought. Until I realized he was talking to central control and that a truck had hit his right mirror and flipped it around. He didn't say anything to the passengers boarding at Hicksville, until it became clear through the overhearings of the phone conversation.

Full bus was offloaded onto the next N79 20min later, which was empty. Driver didn't know when the next bus was, several passengers told him. People thought it was an N78, as it is a short turn. Service truck came faster than I thought, since it usually comes from Hempstead. Should've had my scanner on me!

When I boarded inside the Bx41 this afternoon (heading to The Hub), a female passenger asked the B/O if "this" was the Bx55. His response was that the Bx55 doesn't operate weekends at all. She was then mad because she had a transfer from the Bx41 (possibly Williamsbridge bound), and he responded that the weekend Bx55 to Gun Hill Rd hasn't operated for 3 years.

What she could've done is walked over to the Bx1/Bx2, and then walked back to her destination on Webster Avenue.

It may sound like a hike, but last year, when I attended a program at the YMCA, I would take the S46 home from school, and then use the transfer to take the S44 from home to the YMCA (and then I had the third ride on the Student MetroCard to get home).

If I missed the transfer, instead of taking the S48/S98 to the S59/S89/S94, I would run over to the S94 directly and take it home (since all I had left was the transfer)

• 2 weeks later...

A little boy threw up on the B6 while we were on Bedford Av and the bus was eventually taken out of service, forcing everybody had to wait for the next B6 going to Bath Beach, which naturally became crowded. By the time I got off at Bay Parkway station (D) two other B6 buses had already passed us and a 5th bus was right behind us.

I was going from around Church Av (2)(5) to Bay Ridge, and I didn't want to take the derptastic ®are train, and now I realized it would've been a lot faster to take the B35 to the B16. Such a derp is me.

So I was riding the B44 local home and this Limited right in front of us stops at New York Ave & Farragut Road (which is a local stop) and picks up a couple of people.

Dunno what was up with that, especially since that same Limited didn't stop at any other of the local stops with people waiting at them.

Some idiot on the N32 thought it was a good idea to annoy the entire bus (Orion V) with his Blackberry. The bus operator said "No radio playing" at first, but no one could hear him over the engine because the A/C compressor had just turned on. He was at a stop, so he opened the door for the woman waiting and while she was paying her fare, the man's phone went off again. He put the brakes on and got out of his seat. The man got confrontational, claiming that "this had happened with that other dude while he was in the terminal." Even after the guy shut his phone off, he kept blabbering and yelling at the bus operator, "Drive the ****ing bus" for no reason. If he kept it going like that, it meant that he was butthurt.

And then I had to walk home instead of taking the N25. When I got off the 32, there was no N25. I waited for 4 minutes before an NG CNG came barreling down the road on the other side. Rather than wait for it to loop back around, I started walking. Midway through the walk it came back around, but I already decided to walk home.

So I was riding the B44 local home and this Limited right in front of us stops at New York Ave & Farragut Road (which is a local stop) and picks up a couple of people.

Dunno what was up with that, especially since that same Limited didn't stop at any other of the local stops with people waiting at them.

Maybe he saw a friend or relative waiting at the stop.

Occasionally, I get the S89, and he lets somebody off at Marc Street, which is a local stop. It's always the same driver and the same elderly man getting off (and that's why he does it. It's right in the middle of Monsey Place and Christopher Street, so it would make it harder for the man to walk)

The Richmond Avenue routes really screwed up last night. I wanted to go from CSI to ShopRite and then come home. A woman was waiting at the Christopher Lane stop and said that she just missed the S44 and S59, and the next bus wasn't due for another 15 minutes. I saw a bus a block away, and I figured I'd try to catch it, but it was broken down, so I just walked to ShopRite without a bus passing me.

Going back, I just missed a bus (I think it was an S44), and it was about 20:02. I checked the schedule and the next bus wasn't until 20:18. I didn't like it, but I decided it would be faster to wait for the bus than to walk.

There was a car accident at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and there were fire trucks and ambulances there (if the S44 I just missed got through that, he must've already been early). At 20:18, I thought the bus would be only a couple of minutes late (the fire trucks left and just the ambulances stayed), so I waited. Finally, at 20:30 the S44 showed up (another one was supposed to come at 20:28). After a few stops, another S44 passed. I was like "WTF. How did they bunch at this time of the night?" :mad:

While I was waiting, the X10 came at 20:24, even though it was supposed to come at 20:32, so I feel sorry for the people further down the line. Plus, the 20:26 S59 was MIA.

So basically I was waiting for almost 30 minutes, getting bitten up by mosquitoes, and my parents ended up being pissed when I got home. *Sigh*

The Richmond Avenue routes really screwed up last night. I wanted to go from CSI to ShopRite and then come home. A woman was waiting at the Christopher Lane stop and said that she just missed the S44 and S59, and the next bus wasn't due for another 15 minutes. I saw a bus a block away, and I figured I'd try to catch it, but it was broken down, so I just walked to ShopRite without a bus passing me.

Going back, I just missed a bus (I think it was an S44), and it was about 20:02. I checked the schedule and the next bus wasn't until 20:18. I didn't like it, but I decided it would be faster to wait for the bus than to walk.

There was a car accident at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and there were fire trucks and ambulances there (if the S44 I just missed got through that, he must've already been early). At 20:18, I thought the bus would be only a coupole of minutes late (the fire trucks left and just the ambulances stayed), so I waited. Finally, at 20:30 the S44 showed up (another one was supposed to come at 20:28). After a few stops, another S44 passed. I was like "WTF. How did they bunch at this time of the night?" :mad:

While I was waiting, the X10 came at 20:24, even though it was supposed to come at 20:32, so I feel sorry for the people further down the line. Plus, the 20:26 S59 was MIA.

So basically I was waiting for almost 30 minutes, getting bitten up by mosquitoes, and my parents ended up being pissed when I got home. *Sigh*

Ahhh... The lovely X10...

Earlier Friday (when I made the post about the N32) I got out of Precalculus and walked to the Endo Blvd/Library bus stop. I saw no bus come in from the intersection, but when I got out of the tunnel I saw an Orion V sitting there. I started running but saw that there was no one in the bus, not even a bus operator. When I got to ground level I saw the LIB maintenance truck behind it and the bus operator standing by the shutoff valve (passenger side rear) on his phone while a mechanic was discussing what happened. I was going to ask, but was hesitant (after all, Brett hasn't had any better experiences; he says they're on edge, and he was right...). I waited for an N16 or anything to Hempstead and one going to the mall came by. While students alighted, I just stood there, walked to the back while the mechanic was reaching inside for something, and I saw an NG CNG signed up as an N16 to Hempstead. I tried to wave to the operator, but he pointed to the crosswalk in front of the Orion V. I ran past him and thought he passed me only to realize he had stopped parallel to the driver area of the Orion V.

As this was only 9:30 AM, there were barely any students waiting. When he got to the gates by the College Union, the gates stayed closed for a good minute and a half. The bus operator just held the horn button down and inched closer until he gave up and radioed the garage, explaining that he was at the gates and that he wouldn't move, until finally they opened and he went, "Oh, never mind."