BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... That's true... I remember when Castleon had those too and God did they tear those buses up inside and out.... They were running the hell out of those buses on the X10... Would get one every Saturday to the city... Sure as hell beat the beat up ones they had though.

Castleton has improved, but they can do better. That's why I don't agree with having buses stored outside because exposing the buses to the elements 24/7 can add extra wear and tear to them. The MCIs at Castleton are poorly maintained. Yukon > Castleton

Other than that, today I caught 934 on the B16 doing a school piece from Fort Hamilton High School dropping out to 36th Street. There was an Orion 7 and two new C40s also going to 36th Street. I remember hating the old C40s, but now I'm going to miss them as there's only a handful of them left. I'm not a fan of the new C40s especially the ones with LBSS, but the non-LBSS C40s are hard to come by.

Castleton has improved, but they can do better. That's why I don't agree with having buses stored outside because exposing the buses to the elements 24/7 can add extra wear and tear to them. The MCIs at Castleton are poorly maintained. Yukon > Castleton

Other than that, today I caught 934 on the B16 doing a school piece from Fort Hamilton High School dropping out to 36th Street. There was an Orion 7 and two new C40s also going to 36th Street. I remember hating the old C40s, but now I'm going to miss them as there's only a handful of them left. I'm not a fan of the new C40s especially the ones with LBSS, but the non-LBSS C40s are hard to come by.

I agree about Castleton... Those 22xxs look and smell like crap... 

Went fanning today. I finally took the Q35 (whaddup GC. ;) ). I took the ferry-(J)-Q24-Q113 LCL-Q22-Q35-B11-B16-S93-long ass walk home thanks to them eliminating the stop outside CSI. <_<

That whole area around the Junction is confusing. I couldn't figure out where the B11 stop was until I actually saw the B11. And I forgot from my B83 trip that the Alabama Avenue is right by the Q24 stop. I had to chase after the Q24 from Bway Jct to Alabama Avenue (well, more like jogging, and then once I realized the bus was stuck in traffic, I just walked).

Yukon's no better. The NG's on the S79 SBS are all filthy, and some have graffiti inside.

LOL... It doesn't take long for SI buses to go south... Both local and express... Yet another reason I left that place... Sadly when I do go back I have this sort of feeling of disgust that I had when I first came to Staten Island and saw the areas with no sidewalks... Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time living there and there are some lovely areas on Staten Island, but I always hated that sort of ghetto element that existed on Staten Island, particularly on the buses...  The people just don't give a sh*t and the depots do nothing to upkeep the buses... That's one thing I've noticed about the Yonkers express buses... Much cleaner... I don't see Metrocards stuck all in the air vents or gum all over the place... I thought the Bronx buses would be terrible to be honest, but then again most of the areas that the express buses go to in the Bronx are quite nice and civilized.

I guess the people who work at Yonkers and Eastchester have a different mentality compared to other garages...they see something broken and they don't hesitate to fix it, compared to garages like LaGuardia where they'll just leave it till later and then it can be too late and the bus will have to be removed OOS for a long period of time.

I guess the people who work at Yonkers and Eastchester have a different mentality compared to other garages...they see something broken and they don't hesitate to fix it, compared to garages like LaGuardia where they'll just leave it till later and then it can be too late and the bus will have to be removed OOS for a long period of time.

They certainly do... The buses out of Yonkers, many of them are almost 8 years old and while one B/O that I know hates the fact that they have older buses than Eastchester, he did admit that maintenance at Yonkers is pretty good. The B/Os write up the reports of what is broken and maintenance fixes it quickly and properly.  It also helps that the passengers have consideration. I actually see people turning off the over head lights and such when they leave on the Riverdale buses.  I never see that on the Staten Island express buses... Hell the BM express buses are quite civilized and quiet as well.  It all boils down to a different mentality all around. Don't get me wrong, I've been on a few Riverdale buses with a newspaper on the chair or a drink closed on the chair, but never have seen food just spilled all over the place or soda spilled all over the floor like I have on Staten Island express buses.

There's a certain type of respect that is commanded IMO.  For example, the no cellphone rules are there on the Riverdale express buses and the passengers are expected to adhere to them and if they don't people will say something or the B/O will.  Never had that on Staten Island... 

Lol...reminds me when I was on the X17 a year back and there was a guy talking LOUD AS HELL on the phone, so loud when the driver activates the speakeasy pedal on the floor and lets go of it, you could hear the guy over the PA system in the bus.

People on their phones don't bother me, but don't bring other passengers into the conversation by talking so loudly. That's why I tend to sit in the back of the buses (local and express) so I won't have to inconvenience the driver most of all and so I won't have to hear other people's mouths.

Whoever said Yukon is better than Castleton is crazy, the 2200s have been running far better than the Prevosts. The amount of road calls on the Prevosts have been troubling.....

4254 is currently doing a trip on the s66

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

Whoever said Yukon is better than Castleton is crazy, the 2200s have been running far better than the Prevosts. The amount of road calls on the Prevosts have been troubling..... 4254 is currently doing a trip on the s66 Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I said it, I personally think Yukon is better than Castleton. I recall a couple years ago Castleton had almost as much as 30 buses out of service at one time due to accidents, engine/transmission problems, fire damage, etc., Orion 5s, Orion Next Gens and MCIs.

Yeah I said it, I personally think Yukon is better than Castleton. I recall a couple years ago Castleton had almost as much as 30 buses out of service at one time due to accidents, engine/transmission problems, fire damage, etc., Orion 5s, Orion Next Gens and MCIs.

Yukon has improved, but I'm not so sure they are better than Castleton. I mean, they are short on buses a lot and usually have to borrow some Orion V's from Castleton.

I rarely see Orion 5s from Castleton on Yukon lines (not counting school pieces). The last time I saw a considerable amount of buses borrowed from another depot to Yukon was in May/June because the hybrids were getting their blue lights installed.

Went fanning today. I finally took the Q35 (whaddup GC. ;) ). I took the ferry-(J)-Q24-Q113 LCL-Q22-Q35-B11-B16-S93-long ass walk home thanks to them eliminating the stop outside CSI. <_<

That whole area around the Junction is confusing. I couldn't figure out where the B11 stop was until I actually saw the B11. And I forgot from my B83 trip that the Alabama Avenue is right by the Q24 stop. I had to chase after the Q24 from Bway Jct to Alabama Avenue (well, more like jogging, and then once I realized the bus was stuck in traffic, I just walked).

yeah the q35's new route, as much as I still hate it, seems to have been smartly planned to avoid the Nostrand-FB intersection. I dunno how much longer the construction is going to last, but basically, if you can, avoid that area if possible. B11 is closer towards av h where the mobile phone shop is. If it where up to me, I'd make the b41 regularly drop off riders at the b11 nb stop and pick up riders at the normal stop in front of the subway entrance, cuts out the dwell time and fare beating via the rear door. Edited by Grand Concourse

yeah the q35's new route, as much as I still hate it, seems to have been smartly planned to avoid the Nostrand-FB intersection. I dunno how much longer the construction is going to last, but basically, if you can, avoid that area if possible. B11 is closer towards av h where the mobile phone shop is. If it where up to me, I'd make the b41 regularly drop off riders at the b11 nb stop and pick up riders at the normal stop in front of the subway entrance, cuts out the dwell time and fare beating via the rear door.

So the turnaround is only temporary?

In any case, since I can't reply directly in this thread (why is it archieved when it's been less than a month since the last post?), I might as well post in this thread.

Staten Island:

All routes

Brooklyn:

B1, B4, B6 LTD, B8, B11, B16, B35 LTD, B36, B46 LTD, B49, B63, B70, B68, B82 LTD, B83

Queens:

Q10 LTD, Q22, Q24, Q25, Q33, Q35, Q44, Q50, Q53, Q65, Q111, Q113 LCL

Bronx:

Bx12 +SBS+, Bx22, Bx26, Bx31, Bx40, Bx41 LTD

Manhattan:

M1, M2, M5, old M6, M7, M11, M15 (local & SBS, not the limited), M31, M42

Express buses:

X1, X10, X11, X12, X17 (all branches of the X10 & X17), BxM3, BxM11, QM6

Nassau buses:

N4, N25

Nope, q35 change seems 'permanent'. This was long before this construction at the junction. Then again they keep tweaking the q35 northern route ever since the takeover.

First it stopped at the same nb b41 stop, right up Nostrand, left on glenwood, left on FB and then to the Bergen beach b41 stop stand.

2nd change, left on H, stops right where the b103 short turns ends, right on Nostrand, right down FB.

3rd and current route: left on av I, right on Nostrand, right on av H.

I mean its just crazy these changes, what next left on av J? Lol. IMO, if the b103 seems fine with that turn on the intersection, I don't understand why they had to change the q35. I didn't mind the 2nd change.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Whoever said Yukon is better than Castleton is crazy, the 2200s have been running far better than the Prevosts. The amount of road calls on the Prevosts have been troubling..... 4254 is currently doing a trip on the s66 Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

I said it when those buses were ordered.....The X3 will not take neglect at all. You have to stay on top of those buses.....the MCIs will take the abuse and ask for more. The 2200s have gotten better now that they are at Castleton......the issue is Yukon,not the buses.