BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I just find it interesting how you view resources being used and the hypocrisy in your way of thinking.  I don't know what was so "random" or special about you seeing 4 B6's together.  They always run like that even going back to when I lived in Midwood.

What hypocrisy? It was "random" because generally 4 buses in a row is random, usually from traffic. It's a random thought based on a sight that isn't entirely common. Cocaine's a hell of a drug, eh?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What hypocrisy? It was "random" because generally 4 buses in a row is random, usually from traffic. It's a random thought based on a sight that isn't entirely common. Cocaine's a hell of a drug, eh?

Not on the B6 it isn't.  It's the norm and I know because I see the B6's along Avenue J in packs of 3 and 4 regularly going back to when I lived in Midwood and even now when I visit the area. The hypocrisy is you claiming that you're so in favor of transportation being "efficient", but apparently it's only for the services that you deem unnecessary or inefficient.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Not on the B6 it isn't.  It's the norm and I know because I see the B6's along Avenue J in packs of 3 and 4 regularly going back to when I lived in Midwood and even now when I visit the area. The hypocrisy is you claiming that you're so in favor of transportation being "efficient", but apparently it's only for the services that you deem unnecessary or inefficient.

This is pointless. You live and visit everywhere at all times and at this point you're making shit up. You know who sees the B6 literally every single work day? >THIS GUY<, as in, Me. During rush hours, *4* B6s in a row is not normal. Two is perfectly normal, three happens, and four happens rarely. It was worth a damn "random thought" post in the "Random Thoughts" thread. I regret making the post, though, seeing as how I got you trolling every one of my posts with your batshit insanity. Isn't there an Ayn Rand bookclub meeting or douchebag wine bar you can go to? Thanks for turning a random post into a trollfest.

Edited by Culver

Actually VG8 most of the bunching on the B6 is from traffic

I like how sane people can look at the schedule and realize that it was obviously traffic and not some evil (MTA) plot to run four B6 buses in a row to make VG8 suffer a nervous breakdown about no weekend X28 service.

9849 Q67 run 657

9905 Q103 run 108

Also, what's going on with the old C40s I haven't seen one in a while

Saw an older C40 on B11 this afternoon, but didn't catch the number. Too far away.

I like how sane people can look at the schedule and realize that it was obviously traffic and not some evil (MTA) plot to run four B6 buses in a row to make VG8 suffer a nervous breakdown about no weekend X28 service.

Who said it was an evil plot? We're just talking about services being more efficient.  

This is pointless. You live and visit everywhere at all times and at this point you're making shit up. You know who sees the B6 literally every single work day? >THIS GUY<, as in, Me. During rush hours, *4* B6s in a row is not normal. Two is perfectly normal, three happens, and four happens rarely. It was worth a damn "random thought" post in the "Random Thoughts" thread. I regret making the post, though, seeing as how I got you trolling every one of my posts with your batshit insanity. Isn't there an Ayn Rand bookclub meeting or douchebag wine bar you can go to? Thanks for turning a random post into a trollfest.

This "phenomenon" that you're posting about is something I've posted about some time ago on this forum way before you were even a member here so spare me with I know so much about Brooklyn BS. I grew up in Brooklyn and was raised there and I've been using the B6 going back to the 90's, so I know what I'm talking about.  I've seen B6's bunch on weekends, esp. Saturdays so no, you're amazing find isn't that unique.  Nice of you to specify NOW that it's during the rush.  A minor detail you left out.

I discuss the B6 below and it's bunching and for me, 3 was perfectly normal and often and four certainly is not that rare or random from my experiences.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/25279-b11-idea-extend-it-to-ralph-ave/page-3?do=findComment&comment=364264

Actually VG8 most of the bunching on the B6 is from traffic

I never disputed that but seeing B6's bunch is certainly not ironic or random.

Who said it was an evil plot? We're just talking about services being more efficient.  

This "phenomenon" that you're posting about is something I've posted about some time ago on this forum way before you were even a member here so spare me with I know so much about Brooklyn BS. I grew up in Brooklyn and was raised there and I've been using the B6 going back to the 90's, so I know what I'm talking about.  I've seen B6's bunch on weekends, esp. Saturdays so no, you're amazing find isn't that unique.  Nice of you to specify NOW that it's during the rush.  A minor detail you left out.

I discuss the B6 below and it's bunching and for me, 3 was perfectly normal and often and four certainly is not that rare or random from my experiences.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/25279-b11-idea-extend-it-to-ralph-ave/page-3?do=findComment&comment=364264

I never disputed that but seeing B6's bunch is certainly not ironic or random.

I'll respond one last time and then I'll just start pressing the report button. I didn't say it was amazing. I said it was random. Random thought thread. Four buses at once is rather random, regardless of what your bullshit experience says. You may have been raised here, but you're a pampered suburbanite. You're as much a "city" person as some kid from Syracuse. You're scared shitless of even stepping foot in half the city. And BTW, you wanna know how I specified in my first post that it was rush hour? By saying that I just saw it, and then there's a timestamp on my post. You want a medal for using the B6 in the 90s? Guess what, I used it, too. And the B82 and other routes. And so did thousands of others. Doesn't make anyone an expert in it. I mean hell you actually thought I was going to see that and think "wow, now *this* guy knows what he's talking about." Stop trolling me. I made a damn random post.

For the sane folks in this thread:

Gotta say, those XD-40s get pretty rattly for their age.

VG8 it really wasn't that serious...you shouldn't be telling him that he shouldn't of made the post. he was just simply putting in something that he saw today... it's a random thoughts thread... just like my photo from the s53 this morning.

Besides... I'm in brooklyn everyday and I yes it is possible to see 4 B6s within a two block span... and it's the traffic that does it. maybe he never seen it happen, and just wanted to point it out... there wasn't no need making a big deal about it

Also.. he saw this bunching at the end of the route...so of course buses will start to get backed up etc...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

M20-ish?

It was the best way I can put it, it was up 6th Avenue as an M20 then deadheading down 11th Avenue/West Side Highway back to South Ferry. 5302 has taken its place at the moment. It's at South Ferry.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 4

I have to get a ride on one one of these days and find out what's up with these shuttles. Bunch of buses were short-turning at Houston St as well, bizarre. Think I saw you out there, looking forward to shots.

5302 currently is heading up my way as I am at 6th and Houston. I shot it deadheading down Broadway. I missed 5264 by 5 minutes after leaving today's workplace.

I have to get a ride on one one of these days and find out what's up with these shuttles. Bunch of buses were short-turning at Houston St as well, bizarre. Think I saw you out there, looking forward to shots.

Are these subway-related? I've managed to miss what service change they're supplementing.

Not sure what it is, but to further prove the point....

I shot it on video.

ry8u6uju.jpg

I think it's going to head back into the depot after this trip.

Edited by Cait Sith

Because one passenger is a MAN and the other is a WOMAN.  I see it all of the time on the buses and it's because most of the drivers are males and sexist pigs.  <_<

Forgot to mention, the bus driver was a female.

I've taken the B6 a lot during my high school years (Midwood) and there were many cases where I've seen 4 buses bunched up, usually was 2 Limited's and 2 Locals.  This was in one direction, heading towards the Junction from west Brooklyn.  Coming back would be normal 3 bunched up during afternoon rush and such. But of course obviously you can account this for the high school and college kids cramming the hell out of the buses.  Lucky for me the B11 was like a ghost and usually empty for my sake.

Forgot to mention, the bus driver was a female.

I've taken the B6 a lot during my high school years (Midwood) and there were many cases where I've seen 4 buses bunched up, usually was 2 Limited's and 2 Locals.  This was in one direction, heading towards the Junction from west Brooklyn.  Coming back would be normal 3 bunched up during afternoon rush and such. But of course obviously you can account this for the high school and college kids cramming the hell out of the buses.  Lucky for me the B11 was like a ghost and usually empty for my sake.

I'd guess 86 St stop and traffic bunched them up pretty well in time to reach Midwood. In my case it was heading south, and I'd guess the hub over on Flatbush slowed them down. Couple of decades living in the area and first time I've seen 4 of them back-to-back-to-back-to-back like that; at least that close and not spaced out over a few blocks.

Edited by Culver

So anyways, I spotted 983 on the B16 heading to Prospect Park yesterday morning around 7:30. I had to go to work so I took a quick photo before getting on the S93.

I'm going to Queens later this afternoon for some Orion 5 CNG action. There's a handful left and I figured I'd close the month of July by letting my ears listen to some sound effects (lol). Anyone know where I can go? Are they still running on LaGuardia lines?

This question is not directly related to the MTA but more so buses in general. I was watching a video last night of a wheelchair lift cycling (

) and I am puzzled about the location of the wheelchair lift in relation to the rest of the door way.

Last night it looked to me like the main section of the lift (the non folding part) slides underneath the step from the pavement to the bus itself, but after rewatching the video it seems now like the lift actually forms the first step of the bus itself. Is this correct?

If so, I can only imagine how long it would take to retrofit a non lift equipped vehicle with one (there were some ex-Edmonton BBCs in Daytona that received such a modification, for example.)

Odd question I know, but I havent really given wheelchair lifts any thought before now, and now Im really confused.

This question is not directly related to the MTA but more so buses in general. I was watching a video last night of a wheelchair lift cycling (

) and I am puzzled about the location of the wheelchair lift in relation to the rest of the door way.

Last night it looked to me like the main section of the lift (the non folding part) slides underneath the step from the pavement to the bus itself, but after rewatching the video it seems now like the lift actually forms the first step of the bus itself. Is this correct?

If so, I can only imagine how long it would take to retrofit a non lift equipped vehicle with one (there were some ex-Edmonton BBCs in Daytona that received such a modification, for example.)

Odd question I know, but I havent really given wheelchair lifts any thought before now, and now Im really confused.

This is the case for the older (MTA) buses... The old high floor artics work similarly to the video you posted.  The low floor buses are much simpler though.  The express buses also have a similar set up where the section of the lift slides from out of the bus itself.  As for buses in general, someone else can answer that.