BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode 9836 on the Q19 and 9889 on the Q65 and Q25 LTD yesterday, and rode 9836 again on the Q19 and 9905 on the Q100 LTD today.

And I have some good news for the Orion 5 CNG fans on the site: I spoke to a College Point driver who said he spoke to a superintendent at the depot and they're going to try to keep the remaining 5s that they have for as long as they can. This means that they may hold onto them for the rest of the summer, maybe for the rest of the year. But they're only five left, so good luck if you go hunting for one!

Hopefully Jackie Gleason will hold on to their seven 1999/2000 New Flyer C40LFs that they have for a little longer too.

Rode 9836 on the Q19 and 9889 on the Q65 and Q25 LTD yesterday, and rode 9836 again on the Q19 and 9905 on the Q100 LTD today.

And I have some good news for the Orion 5 CNG fans on the site: I spoke to a College Point driver who said he spoke to a superintendent at the depot and they're going to try to keep the remaining 5s that they have for as long as they can. This means that they may hold onto them for the rest of the summer, maybe for the rest of the year. But they're only five left, so good luck if you go hunting for one!

Hopefully Jackie Gleason will hold on to their seven 1999/2000 New Flyer C40LFs that they have for a little longer too.

lol... And we all know what a good job CP does with their buses...  <_<

Are any of the older MCIs in the 2700-2800 renumbered from the 2000 range? I ask this because I saw 2729 today. The numbers in front were of mismatched fonts, but of more importance is that they seemed covered what looks like 2060 or 206# in general.

IMG_9384 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

Perhaps it was in for a repair and got a 2000-series nose (like 133 got an old nose as well)? Were it a different bus, it'd be repainted, but the MCIs are metal only.

That's interesting to hear, they must have some shortage if that's the case...

5291 on the M5 today.

Edited by MHV9218

Perhaps it was in for a repair and got a 2000-series nose (like 133 got an old nose as well)? Were it a different bus, it'd be repainted, but the MCIs are metal only.

That's interesting to hear, they must have some shortage if that's the case...

5291 on the M5 today.

if lga has a shortage, can't they cut back the q53 service like cut some stops? They could send select q52s to woodside since really that corridor should be jfk/fr's responsibility.

This question is not directly related to the MTA but more so buses in general. I was watching a video last night of a wheelchair lift cycling (

) and I am puzzled about the location of the wheelchair lift in relation to the rest of the door way.

Last night it looked to me like the main section of the lift (the non folding part) slides underneath the step from the pavement to the bus itself, but after rewatching the video it seems now like the lift actually forms the first step of the bus itself. Is this correct?

If so, I can only imagine how long it would take to retrofit a non lift equipped vehicle with one (there were some ex-Edmonton BBCs in Daytona that received such a modification, for example.)

Odd question I know, but I havent really given wheelchair lifts any thought before now, and now Im really confused.

Sorry for this late response as I'm sure your question has likely been answered already, but allow me to quickly chime in.

Yes, in the case of this lift the lift itself forms the bottom first step. Conversion isn't much difficult with these lifts as they're basically just platform lifts, which allow the other steps to stay in place. I assume such a conversion would just involve removing the primary step of the original stairwell. Some more info: http://www.lift-u.com/products/liftsramps-for-transit/solidplatformlift-lu10/

The one disadvantage with these lifts is that they may become defective as they receive foot traffic, thus compromising the deployment, but overall they're less problematic than the step lifts on many RTS', now those are troublesome. More info on those can be found here: http://www.lift-u.com/products/liftsramps-for-transit/stepplatform-lu12/

You know what I never could figure out is why our O5s don't have the same operating mechanism as the Bee-Line buses do, or why no RTS manufacturer could ever work out a similar front wheelchair lift that didn't give the bus a wide front door underbite.

With the MTA V's it would seem as if the setup was purposely designed to replicate the setup on the RTS', to facilitate similarity between the two models.

With the RTS in general not only was a narrow door posing problems, but also the front seats as well. With the front lift I believe there are some seats compromised, as the seats near the rear door are vertical regardless. Might as well use them for wheelchair securement.

Why does the MTA allow a bus to be in service if the stop request doesn't work and if the bus has leakage problems? I was on a 9600 bus from JA on the Q17 and everyone had to keep getting up and telling the bus driver where they want to get off at. I've been on other buses with that same problem. As far as the leakage problems the bus should be taken out of service because water leaks on a lot of the seats and if you are sitting down water drops constantly hit you. I've notice this on a lot of the RTS's and Orion V/ Orion V CNG's.

Again, late response, but sometimes a bus will function fine at the time of pull out, and won't be problematic until later down the line. In that case the operator should swap out if possible, but other times you just have to keep going down the line.

About the water I'd be more forgiving if it rained or snowed recently, otherwise I'd be all "what the hell'?

I agree... Yukon Orion Vs stop request signs never work...so you have to yell getting off.

About leaking problems I agree because castleton Orion VIIs always stay leaking

Yep, SI is learning from the next best, Queens.

Also...

Nice tech, but I never thought I'd see anything that bad in aesthetics.

Was there any specific reason why the O5s in staten island had the tape changed to pull cords?

Discussion still on about this?

The stop request system was changed after the V's received their overhaul. Reason for using cords now was partly due to the fact that the MTA was ordering bus with cords, and that there was a savings margin of nearly 50% per installation. And yes, I know they're beat up now.

Anyways will they do the same with the O7 OGs (Hybrid & CnG)?

Wouldn't know. I believe some of the Vii's were rehabbed or in the process of being rehabbed. Only time will tell.

Discussion still on about this?

The stop request system was changed after the V's received their overhaul. Reason for using cords now was partly due to the fact that the MTA was ordering bus with cords, and that there was a savings margin of nearly 50% per installation. And yes, I know they're beat up now.

Wouldn't know. I believe some of the Vii's were rehabbed or in the process of being rehabbed. Only time will tell.

Well I'm sorry I didn't know there was a " discussion still on this"...

I never knew the reason so I simply asked.

Anyways now I know why

Yeah, simple. The (MTA) found that it was supposedly cheaper to change them to pull cords and so they changed them accordingly.

I still think it cost the same at the end. Little kids pulling and pulling on the cords and some people pull the cords like crazy and the stop was already requested by someone else. There are some LFS's and C40LF's that I've been on that already needed the cords changed about three times. I guess the tape and the cord both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I still think it cost the same at the end. Little kids pulling and pulling on the cords and some people pull the cords like crazy and the stop was already requested by someone else. There are some LFS's and C40LF's that I've been on that already needed the cords changed about three times. I guess the tape and the cord both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I think that was the original reason they went to the tape in the first place was because the cords can get damaged easier but then they decided at some point that the cords were cheaper to maintain.  I don't know how they came to that conclusion.  <_<