BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Oh Shit... I saw it earlier at the same place with the warning lights on.

I have a bad feeling that bus will not go out again...

I'm surprised it was still out there considering the wheelchair lift doesn't work properly

Why does the MTA allow a bus to be in service if the stop request doesn't work and if the bus has leakage problems? I was on a 9600 bus from JA on the Q17 and everyone had to keep getting up and telling the bus driver where they want to get off at. I've been on other buses with that same problem. As far as the leakage problems the bus should be taken out of service because water leaks on a lot of the seats and if you are sitting down water drops constantly hit you. I've notice this on a lot of the RTS's and Orion V/ Orion V CNG's.

I've seen it happen all the time with the new C40LF's as well..

101 is sitting at LGA, with the following on the dashboard: "R/C, Chk Eng, L+, (What's that supposed to mean?), Defect Line". 117 is still there. The only two Bees I saw there. 5218 was at LGA today.

Also, I saw some guys putting up that green thing that people put on fences so that no one can see inside, so if you wanna get shots over by 24th Avenue, you better do it quick.

Plus, Blue Bird #3004 from Academy was doing service on the NYU Langone Medical Center Shuttle.

9426755368_a312a9d2ef_b.jpg

IMG_8920 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

9423967793_1c2e1ca457_b.jpg

IMG_9031 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

Sounds like whoever had that bus last time had to road call the bus because of the check engine light..

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea what X run it is?

I shot 3860 on the M5 yesterday, squeaky clean it is.

Not sure, didn't see...some of those shuttles (most I've seen actually) run as 000 or XXX. Should be around South Ferry by now. 

--

Mildly hilariously, the MTA ran out of the large #6s to put on top of the bus. They've run out of 7s and 2s in the past, and now 6. So a bus like 6672 is now simply "72."

Edited by MHV9218

So I had this interesting ride on the B41 the other day. The bus driver is trying to adhere to the schedule. We're always a little bit early, so we're usually sitting around the stops for a minute or so each time to stay on schedule, but it actually wasn't notable since people would usually run up to the bus after the initial boarding.

At Church Av, we arrived a bit ahead of schedule. There was an old lady waving at the B/O to move in a little closer since a van was in the bus stop moving out as the bus was approaching. The van leaves, but the bus driver stays several feet behind the stop and opens the bus there. The old lady eventually walks over to the bus at a glacial pace. Eventually some woman on the street goes and helps her walk over to the bus and up the steps, the bus being an RTS.

The lady boarding takes a while, but by the time we leave we're back on schedule. I bet the B/O totally planned this out. Nearing Grand Army Plaza, traffic starts building up, and in a twist, it looks like we might actually be... behind schedule.

Naturally, once we're at the Plaza, the B/O floors it, skipping the Grand Army Plaza stop (even though there's a dude waiting at the stop and I think somebody wanted to get off as well), keeping us on time and and salvaging the entire trip. This was a Limited, by the way. At the next Limited stop, at Park Place, he stopped like normal.

Schedule is king. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

Naturally, once we're at the Plaza, the B/O floors it, skipping the Grand Army Plaza stop (even though there's a dude waiting at the stop and I think somebody wanted to get off as well), keeping us on time and and salvaging the entire trip. This was a Limited, by the way.

To this day, I question why that's even a stop on the 41.....

So I had this interesting ride on the B41 the other day. The bus driver is trying to adhere to the schedule. We're always a little bit early, so we're usually sitting around the stops for a minute or so each time to stay on schedule, but it actually wasn't notable since people would usually run up to the bus after the initial boarding.

At Church Av, we arrived a bit ahead of schedule. There was an old lady waving at the B/O to move in a little closer since a van was in the bus stop moving out as the bus was approaching. The van leaves, but the bus driver stays several feet behind the stop and opens the bus there. The old lady eventually walks over to the bus at a glacial pace. Eventually some woman on the street goes and helps her walk over to the bus and up the steps, the bus being an RTS.

The lady boarding takes a while, but by the time we leave we're back on schedule. I bet the B/O totally planned this out. Nearing Grand Army Plaza, traffic starts building up, and in a twist, it looks like we might actually be... behind schedule.

Naturally, once we're at the Plaza, the B/O floors it, skipping the Grand Army Plaza stop (even though there's a dude waiting at the stop and I think somebody wanted to get off as well), keeping us on time and and salvaging the entire trip. This was a Limited, by the way. At the next Limited stop, at Park Place, he stopped like normal.

Schedule is king. 

It won't be king if someone reports him for bypassing that stop...

To this day, I question why that's even a stop on the 41.....

I guess it's because it's next to an important location and it's the first place for a stop outside the park. The B71 also used to stop right around there, for what's it worth. As for why the Limited stops there, I imagine it's because of the B69 and B71 transfers at the Plaza, the important location, and stop spacing, since without a stop around there, it'd go non-stop from Atlantic Av to Empire Blvd.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I guess it's because it's next to an important location and it's the first place for a stop outside the park. The B71 also used to stop right around there, for what's it worth. As for why the Limited stops there, I imagine it's because of the B69 and B71 transfers at the Plaza, the important location, and stop spacing, since without a stop around there, it'd go non-stop from Atlantic Av to Empire Blvd.

That's the thing - It's in a poor locale for that important location...

I always thought that SB 41 stop should be moved to plaza st west/flatbush av, a few feet south of the subway entrance (grand army plz) over there..... The current stop (on the right-most lane of the traffic circle) doesn't benefit anyone; not the subway goers, not those wanting prospect park, not the patrons that live around there, not anyone already on the 41 coming from points north, and not for the bus drivers that gotta wiggle/force their way 2-3 lanes back to the left after having served that stop, so that they can be in the right-most lane of flatbush av (south of eastern pkwy) to prepare for the bus stop opposite the main library (See, because the inner/right most 2 lanes after that useless stop in question sets you up for access to union st, and PPW, IINM).....  I don't think I have ever seen anyone xfer b/w 41's & 69's/71's anyway (another reason why I say it's a useless stop).....

So basically what I'm saying, is that the current SB stop in the middle of the circle be moved north (closer to the subway entrance), and continue to have the stop across the main library as existing.... I'm not saying get rid of the stop & replace it with nothing..... I thought the MTA was all about safety; it does seem like stop spacing trumps safety when it comes to that particular stop......

The ironic part is, that stop was hardly used when the 71 was around (of course, it was only a WB stop), and it was seldom used on the pre-2010 NB B69..... I cannot imagine that any more ppl. use that stop with the post 2010 B69's......

Q70 LTD debuts with 10 runs 751-758 and 786-787 

So it's about 40 minutes, I presume. Does anyone know, though, at what time the first ever Q70 will begin?

by the looks of the schedule on lgaunion it says right at 12am at woodside station also if im not mistaken the q53 goes 24/7 the fall pick too right

I saw an old GMC RTS on manhattan ave! The weird part is that there were a lot of ppl in it! I think it was on the G shuttle and it looked like a GMC RTS-04 from the early to mid 80s had a strong 6v92 and was either a 53XX or 57XX!!! I saw it pass by twice within a half an hour period!

i forgot to ask which bus vender is out in  Montauk  and takes which the bus for service under warranty etc cause my uncle (the retired ta operator i mentioned) sometimes gets called to drive the buses out to and from the vendors cause its costly for regular b/o's to do it according to him.