Yes, The TSA Is Doing Subway Bag Checks Now

mark1447

A few days old but here you go:

A subway commuter Tweeted this morning, "TSA is checking bags at 42nd street subway, wtf is that?" Yes, the Transportation Security Administration is working with the NYPD on subway bag checks. We spoke to TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis, who told us that the TSA is conducting a pilot program with the NYPD:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is partnering with the New York Police Department (NYPD) to enhance existing security measures in NY mass transit system. Using Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) teams, TSA is implementing a pilot program to assist with the screening of passengers' bags. Random and unpredictable security measures, like mobile screening and VIPR teams, can regularly be seen at anytime throughout airports, in rail environments and at mass transit stations across the country. TSA and NYPD continuously work together to strengthen overall security efforts and keep the American people safe.

While the TSA can't offer many details about the program, expect to see TSA workers mostly during rush hours. Earlier this month, it was reported that alleged subway terror plotter Najibullah Zazi was eyeing the 1, 2, 3 and 6 trains for bombings and, a year ago, there was talk of the TSA taking over subway bag search duties from the NYPD.

http://gothamist.com/2010/04/21/yes_the_tsa_is_doing_subway_bag_che.php

Your thoughts?

A subway commuter Tweeted this morning, "TSA is checking bags at 42nd street subway, wtf is that?" Yes, the Transportation Security Administration is working with the NYPD on subway bag checks. We spoke to TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis, who told us that the TSA is conducting a pilot program with the NYPD:

While the TSA can't offer many details about the program, expect to see TSA workers mostly during rush hours. Earlier this month, it was reported that alleged subway terror plotter Najibullah Zazi was eyeing the 1, 2, 3 and 6 trains for bombings and, a year ago, there was talk of the TSA taking over subway bag search duties from the NYPD.

I saw them at Atlantic Avenue by the (2)(3)(4)(5) platform. Me and my family were shocked. Well then again there name is Transportation Security Administration.

TSA has been doing this for quite some time. Like at the airport, half of them stand around doing nothing.

These checks are time wasting. I avoid them by acting like I'm in a rush....

You know what really gets me sometimes though, is some folks will walk into the train station, go to the table and get their bag checked on their own choice....(I wish I was joking about that one)

Bad, bad. The Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) teams were what Amtrak's police chief kicked off Amtrak property for the Savannah train station incident when they wanded down and searched everyone entering the building, even departing passengers or those just using the restroom.

The big question is, how will this affect rail fanning and rail photography?

Between the (MTA) bringing back "See something say something," the extra security and the paranoia of a retaliatory attack, I wouldn't stay in one place for too long if you're going to take pictures.

Between the (MTA) bringing back "See something say something," the extra security and the paranoia of a retaliatory attack, I wouldn't stay in one place for too long if you're going to take pictures.

Railroad I'm fine with staying long as the photography rule on NYCT doesn't apply to the Railroad. But follow the rules and keep it safe.

But I do agree on the Subway... Especially with a bunch of nut heads telling the crew, then hear the crew(if u have a radio) calling RCC.

You know what really gets me sometimes though, is some folks will walk into the train station, go to the table and get their bag checked on their own choice....(I wish I was joking about that one)

TBH, I never got stopped for random check. I don't even see NYPD around much doing checks.. Sometimes at my station I see NYPD, but they don't tell everyone to get checked, its optionally and a lot of them just walk by them with almost 10 cops around. SMH.. Then I guess there is no purpose of checks...

I have seen some brain dead TSA agents working in JFK....they are of no benefit to improving the security of the subway. NYPD should really be doing all the searches. I wonder how long is it until they start doing body searches in the subway.

They do body checks, I bet the NYCT system won't be used by many and the (MTA) is in big trouble.

Your thoughts?

That story is a year old. It kills me that no one noticed that.

I never do that to begin with, usually Ill snap a photo as Im leaving to transfer or ill photo the train I am getting on.

I remember reading on subway.org a long time ago in the 70's when the police used to patrol the trains it was routinely scheduled. Criminals figured this out pretty fast and were able to take advantage because they knew what times to get their burglar on and what times to lay off. Some of these searches are conducted in a similar manner. If I'm a regular schmo and I can tell what times to avoid a specific station entrance how effective can it be?

I'll be honest here- the only people I have ever seen get bags checked were Black or Hispanic, which surprised me a little bit. And that was maybe 5 times total out of all the times I see the cops standing around those little folding tables. Usually they are just a deterrent, which works fine for me- they might not keep away terrorists, but they sure as hell keep away the lowlife muggers from the stations.

On another note, whenever I see the ESU guys and Hercules team guys standing around a station in full armor and gear, I always wonder if they would respond to a "normal" call in the station, e.g. a robbery or assault.

That story is a year old. It kills me that no one noticed that.

I'd say OVER a year old- back during my 2009 Spring semester there would be cops stationed in the Flushing-Main Street station with a folding table and signs that said "All handbags, blah, blah are subject to random search"

There are also signs at Port Authority that also warn potential customers that their luggage may be subject to random searches.

Doesn't phase me, though.

The hell with that, let the cops stop me. I have nothing to hid and they would only be wasting their own time, plus I have yet to be stopped by a cop in the subway for anything.

Archived