I Wonder Why Some Folks Don't Understand "Closed Door Policy" on LIB and Bee-Line?

FamousNYLover

Recently, Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, I was on 8:30 N20 Hicksville #1758, which was very crowded, which was male B/O.

In Middle of Northern Blvd within Queens, someone press tape for pick up point.

At pick up point, he only receive door, but someone tried to exit and some passenger reply, "Open the door."

This male B/O told, "You not suppose to get off on this bus." Then he came to safe curb and open front door, which was not bus stop. It happened to be Chinese folks and male B/O gave them friendly warn, "I drop off you this time. Next time, you'll end up in Long Island."

Recently I was on BL4 last Wed and I know certain Bee-Line buses are closed door. I wonder why B/O didn't say anything when passenger press for tape for service within Bronx?

Recently, Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, I was on 8:30 N20 Hicksville #1758, which was very crowded, which was male B/O.

At pick up point, he only receive door, but someone tried to exit and some passenger reply, "Open the door."

This male B/O told, "You not suppose to get off on this bus." Then he came to safe curb and open front door, which was not bus stop. It happened to be Chinese folks and male B/O gave them friendly warn, "I drop off you this time. Next time, you'll end up in Long Island."

Recently I was on BL4 last Wed and I know certain Bee-Line buses are closed door. I wonder why B/O didn't say anything when passenger press for tape for service within Bronx?

It's called stupidity and lack of respect on their part for not adhearing to the closed door policy. It's closed door for a reason!!!!!!!!!!.

i'm not gonna lie, that happened to me my first time in flushing as well but the b/o was kind of a di*k about it. he said to me in a very condescending tone "the N on the front means i dont drop off in queens". i proceeded to ask "well what about the Q44? It picks up and drops off in the bronx". he looked straight ahead and said "you gettin off or what?". (this was before i started working for the MTA by the way)

I can see that mistake happening if that was his first time on a Long Island bus. Especially if the bus is in the MTA scheme.

Maybe, bus employee might have able to drop off if you show ID.

I remember way long time ago, I was only one on 10:00 QM22 bus ride from 78th St.

B/O let dispatcher get off within Queens.

I see that a lot on the Q35 when the driver lets an MTA employee off across from Flatbush Depot.

I honestly don't think that concept of closed door policy (board in Queens-disembark in Nassau for instance) isn't self-explanatory to some people. I also don't think that policy is even noted in bus stops also. This happens a lot in Express bus routes when you board it, you have to leave in the other borough it's headed towards. I'm sure many Staten Island/Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx express bus riders can relate to that.

Yep, the (Q35) is completely open door. I do understand the entire concept of closed-door policy. Although I did not like that policy on the Command Bus (B103). At least it was changed after the takeover. Closed-door policy on express buses IMO are a great feature. Makes a lot of sense that way.

I honestly don't think that concept of closed door policy (board in Queens-disembark in Nassau for instance) isn't self-explanatory to some people. I also don't think that policy is even noted in bus stops also. This happens a lot in Express bus routes when you board it, you have to leave in the other borough it's headed towards. I'm sure many Staten Island/Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx express bus riders can relate to that.

People constantly try to board express buses in Manhattan thinking they are locals, or that they can get off anywhere within Manhattan. Once in a while, a B/O will let them on to be nice, but that is quite rare. Let's just say that the passengers are less than thrilled when they are told they cannot use the express bus as a local.

People constantly try to board express buses in Manhattan thinking they are locals, or that they can get off anywhere within Manhattan. Once in a while, a B/O will let them on to be nice, but that is quite rare. Let's just say that the passengers are less than thrilled when they are told they cannot use the express bus as a local.

I've been riding express buses to get to Brooklyn or Staten Island, and many operators/drivers direct riders that are about to board (needing stops within Manhattan) to go board Local buses. Same thing applies when riders let's just say in Brooklyn try to board the bus but need to leave the bus within that same borough, instead of Manhattan, and they tell riders to take a local bus running similar to that express route.

Anyways I apologize for going off-topic on this one as this thread talks about Long Isand and Bee-Line buses. It's basically the same idea as the closed-door policy in express buses from what I know (correct me please if I'm wrong here)

Yep, the (Q35) is completely open door. I do understand the entire concept of closed-door policy. Although I did not like that policy on the Command Bus (B103). At least it was changed after the takeover. Closed-door policy on express buses IMO are a great feature. Makes a lot of sense that way.

The (B103) had a closed-door policy in place, oh wow. As for the express bus statement, I agree 100% on that one.

Quite frankly, b/c it's not uniformly defined (too many exceptions).... and with some b/o's, it's simply not enforced....

all a passenger on a particular bus has to see is ONE person getting on a Nassau bound N20 (for example), and gettin off somewhere w/i Queens..... When that happens, pax on the bus now realizes (in their minds) it's "okay" to use the N20 for intra-Queens travel.... That can of worms has been opened, and you can forget about closing it.....

That, and the showing of the route & its destination on the bus stops themselves.... Instead of showing "N20 Hicksville" (on the EB lane of northern blvd w/i Queens) on any bus stop, it should really read "N20 pickup only", while the WB side should read dropoff only..... Except the first stop in Flushing....

....and the Q35 does not play into this discussion; it's a local route that never leaves the confines of any of the 5 boroughs....

To add to that, the passenger thinks tht if its heading to the city, it should be open door. I don't know why the (Q35) got into this conversation. Like B35 said, some routes have exceptions, they think it goes for every route. It doesn't work that way.

This happened to me when I first rode LIB. I only rode it twice.

First time I wanted to get off in Queens and didn't know the policy.

I stop requested and the B/O didn't stop. I thought he didn't because the signs say hicksville and it was going to roslyn. When we got to bell bl, the B/O stoped for pickup and I got off and he said nothing.

Second time I knew the policy and got off in Nassau only to transfer back to queens.

I think that's how it is with LIB. If there's any corresponding service with a route (like the Q5 on the N4's run on Merrick), passengers have to take that service. I think the N31 and 32 in Far Rockaway are the exceptions.

The N8 along Hook Creek Blvd and the N24 east of 239 St on Jericho Tpke/Jamaica Av. The N33 is open door in Far Rockaway, but closed door in Long Beach

The N8 along Hook Creek Blvd and the N24 east of 239 St on Jericho Tpke/Jamaica Av. The N33 is open door in Far Rockaway, but closed door in Long Beach

I know it's justified because of the West End bus in Long Beach, but isn't it ironic how a Long Island route is closed-door in a part of Long Island?

Archived