MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

11 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

Modifying Ulmer Park slightly or move it to ENY or Flatbush (why am I thinking FB, that's retarded) if it's a big enough demand for future route picks. With UP isn't almost seems political when it comes to buses they can handle. But they'll never lose the B6 which is financially understandable and obvious but who knows, I guess. I wouldn't be against the idea of B6 getting artics, no one would I would think,  but it'll be a while before the (MTA) surfaces a plan for a configuration/conversation, especially with the agency's financial track record.

Who could possibly know at this rate? 1) It's not like a trying to announce when it will. 2) We acknowledge that it's not in the next CP, Thank you, Captain Obvious.... for the painfully reminder.

💪🏾💪🏾

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2019 at 3:09 PM, Around the Horn said:

I was just on 6226 on the M34A about a half an hour ago and they must be doing some kind of mod's to the ThermoKing HVAC's on the 2019s...

This bus was making the same whine as the 5987-6125 batch, it wasn't making the same growl noise as the other 2019 XD60s and the HVAC itself was practically silent.

You only hear the growling of the HVACs when its at least 60 and up outside.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, aemoreira81 said:

As I see it, the MTA needs a top-up order of articulated buses, primarily for Brooklyn Division. This will cross over into route changes, but the Q58 would be the prime local bus needing artics, as at the "peak of the peak" in the morning, there can be buses as frequently as 4 minutes, and there are problems with over-crowding, especially between Ridgewood and Queens Boulevard.

As for problems with turns, I see that as being resolved by modifying the Ridgewood end as follows:

To Ridgewood Terminal, via Myrtle...no turn onto Putnam Avenue. Instead...remain on Myrtle, with the last stop being on the far side of Wyckoff, near Gates. (An additional stop would be added on the near side of Cypress Avenue, and then on the far side of St. Nicholas.) Then, left on Gates, left on Irving, and left on Palmetto to stand. (This would avoid the narrow Ridgewood Place for the Q58, but not the B26.) As for through traffic, it could be restricted between Ridgewood Place and Wyckoff Avenue, with through traffic on Gates Avenue.

The other route in Brooklyn that could warrant artics would be the B6. If Ulmer Park can't fit them, then maybe the Local and Limited should be split, with the B82 Local swapping to Ulmer Park in exchange for the B6 Limited, with the B6 Limited and B82 SBS sharing an articulated bus pool (local bus livery).

East New York Depot is already doing modifications for 60ft buses, what could happen is when B6 becomes SBS, send it over to ENY so they can share the buses between the two.

Making a separate post because of some updates.

6239 and 6240 are at the JFK vendor.

6234-6238 are 2019 New Flyer XD60s.
6239-6257 are 2020 New Flyer XD60s.
6258-6286 are 2019 New Flyer XD60s.

Deployment schedule for these buses has not been updated, so it'll be some time till we get more information.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Making a separate post because of some updates.

6239 and 6240 are at the JFK vendor.

6234-6238 are 2019 New Flyer XD60s.
6239-6257 are 2020 New Flyer XD60s.
6258-6286 are 2019 New Flyer XD60s.

Deployment schedule for these buses has not been updated, so it'll be some time till we get more information.

Forgive me if this question is foolish, but why are some buses that are made in 2019 are considered 2020 units?

11 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Forgive me if this question is foolish, but why are some buses that are made in 2019 are considered 2020 units?

This refers to the model year and not the actual year the buses are built. It's similar to how car manufacturers start calling their units the succeeding year. 

The practice was started because farmers would harvest their crops and sell them in the fall so they had enough money to go buy cars. To distinguish between older models and newer models, car manufacturers slapped a new year on them.

20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

257 Prevosts for MTA Bus.

Wait? No MCI D4500 CRT LE buses? What happened with having a low floor bus?

20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

275 Hybrid Bus order now has an option up to 558 buses(210 Hybrids & 348 Diesels)

Why are they reducing the main hybrid order from 275 to 210? What’s going on? The order was fine the way it was.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Wait? No MCI D4500 CRT LE buses? What happened with having a low floor bus?

Why are they reducing the main hybrid order from 275 to 210? What’s going on? The order was fine the way it was.

1. Prevost lowballed the contract and offered a better delivery schedule.
2. Reread what I said....they're not reducing anything. By options, that means that it's an option order after the main order if they take it.

Prevost Pilot 1 for audits and configuration testing comes in Feburary. In-service pilots arrive between March & June.

Edited by Cait Sith

4 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Reread what I said....they're not reducing anything.

Oh. I must’ve misread that. My apologies.

And also I’m surprised that they are still ordering diesel local buses. I was hoping for more electric buses so they can start spreading them around the 5 boroughs more. Yes we have up to 75 new electric buses coming in, but I feel that in this day and age, we should order more greener burning (electric buses). Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Prevost lowballed the contract and offered a better delivery schedule.

That was a game well played. So I’m guessing the priority now is getting new buses faster as soon as possible?

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

Oh. I must’ve misread that. My apologies.

And also I’m surprised that they are still ordering diesel local buses. I was hoping for more electric buses so they can start spreading them around the 5 boroughs more. Yes we have up to 75 new electric buses coming in, but I feel that in this day and age, we should order more greener burning (electric buses). Just a thought.

That was a game well played. So I’m guessing the priority now is getting new buses faster as soon as possible?

We're not fully ready for that......

58 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

257 Prevosts for MTA Bus.
45 Electric Bus order now has an option up to 30 more buses.
275 Hybrid Bus order now has an option up to 558 buses(210 Hybrids & 348 Diesels)

Excellent update. 

2 questions: 

1) The 257 (MTA) bus order will wipe out most of the existing 2002, 2005-2007 MCI’s?  

2) Could there be a possibility that MCI gets the (MTA) NYCT bus order or prevost or its too early to tell for that RFP. 

13 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Excellent update. 

2 questions: 

1) The 257 (MTA) bus order will wipe out most of the existing 2002, 2005-2007 MCI’s?  

2) Could there be a possibility that MCI gets the (MTA) NYCT bus order or prevost or its too early to tell for that RFP. 

Um, no. There’s way more than 257 that are in service.... There will probably be a good amount that remain.

Edited by Snorunts

24 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Excellent update. 

2 questions: 

The Detroits are definitely retiring along with the worst of the 3000s.

Prevost also got the NYCT order. 50 with an option up to 23(for potential x23-x24 takeover).

47 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The Detroits are definitely retiring along with the worst of the 3000s.

Prevost also got the NYCT order. 50 with an option up to 23(for potential x23-x24 takeover).

Just read an article not too long ago regarding that. Looks like academy got it until September 2020 at the earliest. Article dated 9/25/19 with regards to the SIM23/24. Hopefully (MTA) could break into that contact early and let academy give it up  

https://thecity.nyc/2019/09/staten-islands-wait-for-private-bus-alternative-grows.html

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I know Charleston relieved some of the pressure when it opened, but I have a hard time imagining that Staten Island has enough space for that.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just read an article not too long ago regarding that. Looks like academy got it until September 2020 at the earliest. Article dated 9/25/19 with regards to the SIM23/24. Hopefully (MTA) could break into that contact early and let academy give it up  

https://thecity.nyc/2019/09/staten-islands-wait-for-private-bus-alternative-grows.html

That's somewhat unrelated. The reason for the potential takeover is because the MTA is suffering losses over them operating the lines. Academy is currently on a day-to-day contract, so they can break it at any time.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

I know Charleston relieved some of the pressure when it opened, but I have a hard time imagining that Staten Island has enough space for that.

There's a good chance that the routes would be split, there is room for the buses.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm assuming they have not yet awarded the 275 hybrid bus order?

Not yet.

So Prevost lowballed the order by 13 million....which might not sound like a lot, but when it comes down to quality assurance, that's a bit worrysome, especially with how bad the 2500-2700 batch has deteriorated in a short amount of time.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not yet.

So Prevost lowballed the order by 13 million....which might not sound like a lot, but when it comes down to quality assurance, that's a bit worrysome, especially with how bad the 2500-2700 batch has deteriorated in a short amount of time.

Aren't those sitting at depots known for shoddy maintenance?