MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

Can someone explain to me why Staten Island is the only depots with no new flyers? The novas are so bad... the guys and me were cracking jokes during the train shuttle, you know when it’s a SI bus when you see a nova 

Why are they supposed to be getting so many new local buses? I thought most of their local buses are from 2015 and on?  There are depots out here with much older fleet.

55 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

Can someone explain to me why Staten Island is the only depots with no new flyers? The novas are so bad... the guys and me were cracking jokes during the train shuttle, you know when it’s a SI bus when you see a nova 

What do you find so problematic with SI’s nova fleet?

6 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

What do you find so problematic with SI’s nova fleet?

Mainly the design of how many passengers can fit on the bus I feel that little section  behind the driver should not Have that one seater but instead made it a standing section,  Oh and  let’s not talk about how the mirrors are poorly mounted On the bus to see your reference point...maybe it’s just me or I’m just a new flyer lover since I been driving those since I was in Atlanta 

14 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

Mainly the design of how many passengers can fit on the bus I feel that little section  behind the driver should not Have that one seater but instead made it a standing section,  Oh and  let’s not talk about how the mirrors are poorly mounted On the bus to see your reference point...maybe it’s just me or I’m just a new flyer lover since I been driving those since I was in Atlanta 

That’s most definitely you. Novas are better suited for the island as they’re built for heavy service and can take on rough streets. Outside of the mirror placement, most of the operators out in SI actually like operating them. New flyers wouldn’t last out there.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why are they supposed to be getting so many new local buses? I thought most of their local buses are from 2015 and on?  There are depots out here with much older fleet.

For example  Manhattanville. SI getting new buses I’m not aware of but I’m pretty sure they reaching that point where them Orion’s  out of Castleton need to be put down I was just wishful thinking SI with  a fleet of new flyers in every  single depot (Of course not Meredith depot) would be awesome 

8 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Novas are better suited for the island as they’re built for heavy service and can take on rough streets.

A portion of Hylan blvd going To/from  Richmond Ave is brutal right now, I see your point about rough streets...I was told UP gave the novas a try but  they decided to go with the new flyers I just wish Staten Island did the same for the new flyers 

1 hour ago, Mr Marta said:

For example  Manhattanville. SI getting new buses I’m not aware of but I’m pretty sure they reaching that point where them Orion’s  out of Castleton need to be put down I was just wishful thinking SI with  a fleet of new flyers in every  single depot (Of course not Meredith depot) would be awesome 

Uh... No... Most of the buses are from 2015, so they're only four years old if that. The others I think are around 8 years old, which is still not that old. The buses I ride on are 13 years old in some cases.

2 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

Fleet consolidation. It brings the cost down on maintenance across the board for the island.

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I thought they made some adjustments with the mirrors with this current order or I could be wrong.  Was the mirror issue with the 2015 LFS order?

Yes, it was mostly the 2015-16 order with the mirror issues, but I have yet to hear anything negative about the 2019 batch.

3 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

With this order , is it going to push there current XD60s to NYCT which LGA & JFK/Far Rick has ? 

This order would push out the current XD60s at JFK and LaGuardia to Tuskegee Airmen Depot (100th Street for all you old timers out there). This in turn should push out some of their LFSAs to the Bronx, and push out the XD60s to East NY Depot.

MTA Bus: 6234-6286

( -25 to LGA 

-15 to JFK

-13 to BP

The current SBS units at MTAB (some even 6000s/6100s) will go back to NYCTA, with a handful remaining for use on the Q70 when the line gets converted to artic in the near future. Buses will receive SBS colors in due time. )

Many thanks to @Novabus 5000 for the info. 

On 10/29/2019 at 10:10 PM, Calvin said:

MTA Bus: 6234-6286

( -25 to LGA (+3 = 28 In total)

-15 to JFK (to 25)

-13 to BP

The current SBS units at MTAB (some even 6000s/6100s) will go back to NYCTA, with a handful remaining for use on the Q70 when the line gets converted to artic in the near future. Buses will receive SBS colors in due time. )

Many thanks to @Novabus 5000 for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Calvin said:

Are the 6200s at JFK going to be shared (both Q10 and Q52) as the same situation like the S79 SBS using either the 2015/9 LFS buses?

That's exactly what will happen.

Word is that the SBS scheme will be a thing of the past. The S79 fleet and the MTA Bus fleet will remain in the local scheme.

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That's exactly what will happen.

Word is that the SBS scheme will be a thing of the past. The S79 fleet and the MTA Bus fleet will remain in the local scheme.

I think that’s pretty silly in my opinion. The reason for sbs is to have a certain scheme to differ from the local. If things would have stayed the way of the limiteds I could understand because the limiteds were just locals on both ends of the route but skip the middle part, the sbs is express all the way. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I think that’s pretty silly in my opinion. The reason for sbs is to have a certain scheme to differ from the local. If things would have stayed the way of the limiteds I could understand because the limiteds were just locals on both ends of the route but skip the middle part, the sbs is express all the way. 

Considering that it costs them quite a lot now to keep switching from local schemes to SBS schemes and to keep painting buses in one scheme and wrapping them in another(thanks Cuomo), logistically, it makes sense.

After all, the destination sign does most of the work anyway.

33 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Considering that it costs them quite a lot now to keep switching from local schemes to SBS schemes and to keep painting buses in one scheme and wrapping them in another(thanks Cuomo), logistically, it makes sense.

After all, the destination sign does most of the work anyway.

I guess that makes sense in way. Just odd that even with the cuomo scheme they went out of their way to have sbs buses in a newer sbs scheme. They should have kept the old mta bus scheme or retrofitted it and kept the old sbs scheme which probably would have just cost less just being how the old scheme was just a wrap on the bus.