MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, five extra buses that they can use on top of this current order.

Those were pilot buses anyway. Better to buy buses apart of a new order than just to buy those 5, retire them 3-5 years earlier, and be short 5 buses for a time.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:11 PM, Around the Horn said:

Looks like the plug doors were a one time thing as that back door has the hinges to open inwards.

Honestly the plug doors don't seem to work well on local buses. Unlike the previous doors where you press the handle or tape and it swings open the couple times I ridden on these newer buses I'd have to press really hard on the door a couple times before it opens, and I'm not sure if it's the driver just noticing and opening it for me. I've seen a lot of other people struggle too. These might work better for SBS units since all doors open at every stop. 

8 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Honestly the plug doors don't seem to work well on local buses. Unlike the previous doors where you press the handle or tape and it swings open the couple times I ridden on these newer buses I'd have to press really hard on the door a couple times before it opens, and I'm not sure if it's the driver just noticing and opening it for me. I've seen a lot of other people struggle too. These might work better for SBS units since all doors open at every stop. 

It depends as in the wintertime, the doors don't seem to respond when pressed while using gloves (though I've seen people struggle with the doors like you mentioned). Most of the overall problems with the doors were coming from the Nova hybrids while the New Flyers were doing fine by comparison. Its a shame as I liked the spacious doors compared to the crammed ones on the older fleet (especially on the older Novas with crowds and farebeaters).

At Casey Stengel, XD-60 unit 5995 now has a bike rack installed. It'll be set on the XD-60s from 5987-6028. The other 10 that has the dark blue and gold wrap may or may not have but that's bc they have units shared on use for the Q12. 

Edited by Calvin

On 2/10/2023 at 9:45 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

It depends as in the wintertime, the doors don't seem to respond when pressed while using gloves (though I've seen people struggle with the doors like you mentioned). Most of the overall problems with the doors were coming from the Nova hybrids while the New Flyers were doing fine by comparison. Its a shame as I liked the spacious doors compared to the crammed ones on the older fleet (especially on the older Novas with crowds and farebeaters).

These seem like they're better equipped for SBS units rather than local buses. But it seems that the New Flyers and Nova's are using the exact same door this time around so I wonder why the Nova buses versions are having so many issues. 

7853 is the last 2022 XD-40 to be delivered. Its assigned depot will be Fresh Pond. After delivery, this will wrap up the entire order being that 7851 was first as the pilot and last being 7853, all out of the Pond. 

Edited by Calvin

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

7853 is the last 2022 XD-40 to be delivered. Its assigned depot will be Fresh Pond. After delivery, this will wrap up the entire order being that 7851 was first as the pilot and last being 7853, all out of the Pond. 

This is a fairly small order of buses. You make it seem like this is the end of a 900+ bus order or something lol. The 1993 TMC RTS 06 order (the 4th smallest RTS order for the MTA) of #8401-8567 as bigger than this. Of course, not all of those were assigned to Brooklyn back in the day.

36 minutes ago, TheMTAEmprie said:

This is a fairly small order of buses. You make it seem like this is the end of a 900+ bus order or something lol. The 1993 TMC RTS 06 order (the 4th smallest RTS order for the MTA) of #8401-8567 as bigger than this. Of course, not all of those were assigned to Brooklyn back in the day.

What's your point? He was just giving a status update on the 2022 XD40 order's progress.