MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Will the AI also punish the lazy mechanics who stretch out repairs to take 3 times longer than needed LOL?

There is rampant abuse when it comes such reporting. I'll leave it at that... l've been privy to such examples and I was shocked, but that's how the (MTA) operates. Reports reports reports, but who is confirming how accurate those reports are? 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There is rampant abuse when it comes such reporting. I'll leave it at that... l've been privy to such examples and I was shocked, but that's how the (MTA) operates. Reports reports reports, but who is confirming how accurate those reports are? 

I've heard stories here and there from B/Os who are pissed at their co-workers

Subject to change of course, but here is the confirmed Winter Pick for this year thanks to new information:

Due to Michael J. Quill's roof corrosion, at least three routes will be transferred, while one will be returning back to Quill. The M60+ will be transferred to Mother Clara Hale, along with the LFSAs that have luggage racks on them (5444-5467). The M79+ and M86+ will be transferred to Tuskegee Airmen, in exchange with the M31 being at MJQ. That means that Quill will transfer some of the articulated fleet to TU. As for the M35, Mother Clara Hale is expected to get full control of the route, instead of the spilt with TU.

5 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

Subject to change of course, but here is the confirmed Winter Pick for this year thanks to new information:

Due to Michael J. Quill's roof corrosion, at least three routes will be transferred, while one will be returning back to Quill. The M60+ will be transferred to Mother Clara Hale, along with the LFSAs that have luggage racks on them (5444-5467). The M79+ and M86+ will be transferred to Tuskegee Airmen, in exchange with the M31 being at MJQ. That means that Quill will transfer some of the articulated fleet to TU. As for the M35, Mother Clara Hale is expected to get full control of the route, instead of the spilt with TU.

I suppose this means all of Tuskegee's LFS Hybrids will be moved to Michael J. Quill.

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

Unless I'm missing something OF is under spacing constraints... Which would mean OF gets both M15SBS and M60SBS with a decent amount of spares.. I could see some spares going to Flatbush (Not alot of units) to alleviate spacing at OF.. (Correct me on this please if I've got it wrong)

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Unless I'm missing something OF is under spacing constraints... Which would mean OF gets both M15SBS and M60SBS with a decent amount of spares.. I could see some spares going to Flatbush (Not alot of units) to alleviate spacing at OF.. (Correct me on this please if I've got it wrong)

True. MCH does not have enough space to provide more routes. Currently, the depot can handle 150 buses. Unless the (MTA)discusses with the community around there to increase space, then it will not be a issue. However, I don't see that happening. The only way for this to work, is to transfer a few artics to FB in order for MCH to handle spacing.

Edited by RSMG106

33 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I remember back then the artic fleet for Flatbush depot was close to being all XD-60s. Later on, they received LFSAs from Quill. Was it a short swap or to another reason?

The thing was that back when the B44 and B46 were first SBS, they had the 2011-13 LFSAs as their SBS fleet. However they gave them to other depots, and got new XD60s. I guess they wanted to have some Novas for retraining as some of the operators needed to choose which bus they can operate. However they didn't give MJQ's LFSAs back to them, and decided to keep the LFSAs as a reserve fleet.

Edited by RSMG106

37 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I remember back then the artic fleet for Flatbush depot was close to being all XD-60s. Later on, they received LFSAs from Quill. Was it a short swap or to another reason?

Reason I remember being given on here is that one of the XD60 batches are sluggish with the A/C on so FLA got the Nova artics so the Artic fleet at FLA won't be full of underpowered buses. 

Surprised FLA has that kind of pull where they can convince the DOB to give them an oddball fleet of buses for THAT reason.

5 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

True. MCH does not have enough space to provide more routes. Currently, the depot can handle 150 buses. Unless the (MTA)discusses with the community around there to increase space, then it will not be a issue. However, I don't see that happening. The only way for this to work, is to transfer a few artics to FB in order for MCH to handle spacing.

Last checked OF has to stay within that 150 limit and that's been the agreement between the community and the MTA. I don't think the community will budge on this. Hence why I see some spares going down to Flatbush. However, all bets are off once the electric fleet come into OF. The electric fleet will provide flexibility for OF to have close to 200+ buses at the depot and not have to worry about community opposition. Also for FB, I could possibly see some de-commissioning of some 2017 XD60's and transferred to Ulmer Park, Grand Avenue or Casey Stengel since FB will pick up a fair share of the 2019's from OF.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Reason I remember being given on here is that one of the XD60 batches are sluggish with the A/C on so FLA got the Nova artics so the Artic fleet at FLA won't be full of underpowered buses. 

Surprised FLA has that kind of pull where they can convince the DOB to give them an oddball fleet of buses for THAT reason.

FLA has been on the good graces with the DOB for quite sometime. Especially in the maintenance department.  

8 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

None of this is actually official yet, nor will this happen during the winter pick. This is a spring pick scenario with other things at play.

The route swaps are not yet official. The MTA is looking into renting one of NJT's lots in Manhattan and store their buses in it in the meanwhile. If they are able to get a hold of one or two of the midday storage lots, they will not send any routes anywhere.

The only midday layover buses that will be staying in Manhattan will be Staten Island, Brooklyn(including SC) and Far Rockaway due to the cost of the deadheads. The rest will head back to their depots. This will make room for them to do any work needed.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

None of this is actually official yet, nor will this happen during the winter pick. This is a spring pick scenario with other things at play.

The route swaps are not yet official. The MTA is looking into renting one of NJT's lots in Manhattan and store their buses in it in the meanwhile. If they are able to get a hold of one or two of the midday storage lots, they will not send any routes anywhere.

The only midday layover buses that will be staying in Manhattan will be Staten Island, Brooklyn(including SC) and Far Rockaway due to the cost of the deadheads. The rest will head back to their depots. This will make room for them to do any work needed.

It’s already in play Most of QNZ Divisions buses go to TU as for YO & EC they go back to the Garage or Layover in Midtown.

MJQ - 131 - YUK, CA , CP, UP

OHS - 30 - FR, SC

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

On 12/6/2022 at 12:05 AM, Cait Sith said:

Is the MJQ work not starting in the beginning of 2023? It is likely for it to happen during the pick.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:32 PM, R68ACTrain said:

Is the MJQ work not starting in the beginning of 2023? It is likely for it to happen during the pick.

If the work was starting winter pick, they would had moved the routes already. Can they start the work mid pick? Sure. But they would have to have another system pick before the routes are actually moved elsewhere.